Author Topic: the end of humanity  (Read 33614 times)

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:the end of humanity
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2003, 07:15:52 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
George Carlin is known far and wide as being, most likely, the hardest working man in show business.

Mouse, you are not hearing me.  I did not say that George Carlin is not a hardworking man.  I am simply saying the above statement is your opinion.  I think it is a bit much to say the part about "known far and wide".  Good lord, it was just a comment on what I saw as an exaggeration.  No need to get so peeved about it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2003, 07:22:36 PM »
I'm not peeved at all! I'm sorry about the wording of my original post there, but I DO believe that one cannot really debate whether or not George Carlin is one of the hardest working men in the business. I realize now that's not what you were saying, but it's what I was saying. Again, I'm not mad at all, although I might appear that way through my writing.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2003, 07:30:49 PM »
man you guys can go at it forever....also george carlin isnt a;ways a cursing bastard...he did shiny time station for a while.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2003, 07:33:17 PM »
If we could simply discuss the quote I posted and not my opinions on the man it quoted, that would be great. Debating how debatable it is that George Carlin works hard will get us nowhere.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2003, 07:33:55 PM »
Okay, good.  Look at that.  A debate that didn't just ubruptly end out of frustration and anger.  Yay!

Edit:  Mouse, this post was referring to the post before the one above.  Don't start arguing again or this will be meaningless.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2003, 07:40:52 PM »
Okay, now that everything is sorted out, the only reason I even posted the quote was because I agreed completely with something Geogre Carlin said, and since I always seem to have a problem getting my opinion across, I thought it was good to show a quote that concisely represents my feelings.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: the end of humanity
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2003, 10:19:39 PM »
I have never heard of George Carlin.
If he is hard-working, then good for him!
I just REALLY hate people who become famous cause they swam in poo'd sewerage, swore a million times and/or zapped their nipples with muscle-stimulators (think Jackass, Tom Green, and everyone like that).

Do you know what? We went to a themed restaurant for my friend's 18th earlier this year, and there was a pair of comedian/musician/singer brothers, who used lots of swearing and sexual references for humour and soforth. You know why that was ok? Cause it was adults only. It was fun and hilarious.
IF this was shown in the shopping center down the road for school holidays entertainment, that would have been wrong. If it was shown on TV as part of the morning kids shows, that would have been wrong also.
Do you agree with me on that?

This is exactly the same with things like skit shows (like Skithouse, Fast Forward, Full Frontal and Comedy Inc over here and SNL over there), cause they have swearing and sexual stuff in them too. For free-to-air TV, shows like this are in 8:30pm slots, or later, like at 9:30pm. Sure, kids nowadays stay up later, but the chances of them seeing the show are reduced. It's not THAT bad for them to see it, but you get the drift? Shows with swearing or sex, etc are usually put off till later in the evening. Kids movies, like Mousehunt yesterday, are put on at like 6pm-7:30pm so that kids can watch it and go to sleep afterward, and all the adult shows put on later.
I've also seen shows like Jerry Springer put on at like 1pm over here, but that's cause kids are at school at those times.

I think our free-to-air TV regulations are just a bit more stricter over here than over there in the US, cause over here, we only really have five channels: the ABC, SBS, Channel 7, 10, and 9. You guys have like milllions of channels. And they're all a jumble of letters! I'm not dissing you, i'm just making an observation, is all.
The channels are called different things in regional areas of Australia, for example, Channel 7 is called Prime, 10 is called Capital and 9 is called WIN. And stricter regulations are good, cause it creates less controversy (like the start of this arguement - that is ok or not to have swearing on regular occasions on TV), and it harms less people.
Parents try to raise up their kids with a good sense of morals.

It's not black and white. I mean, some of you would think that it's either ok to swear, and that swearing doesn't affect people AT ALL. Some of you would think that swearing is the devil (heheheh, Bobby Bouche's mum in The Waterboy) and that people like that are little angels who cover their ears when they hear f**k.
Is it like that?
No.
I mean, alright, it's OK to swear, but surely you have to know when it's ok NOT to swear right?
Do you believe that children are heavily influenced by what they see on TV? I do. Do you think that if their favourite characters started to swear, then they would start to swear? I do. I mean, if you were raising a kid, then all of a sudden they just came up to you and started swearing, would you smile, stand there, put your hands on your hips and go 'awwwww, look at that! he learned how to say f**k!' Sure, they don't know what it means, and it is kinda cute and funny, but i would tell them a bit seriously not to say that anymore, and they wouldn';t be allowed to watch that show anymore. The same would happen in most households, the show would lose ratings, go off the air, and the broadcasters would be back in the meeting room wondering what went wrong.

It's just that bad things start from somewhere. In the case of this whole darn debate, it's the FCC rule that swearing is ok. Once the green light has shone, everyone will think it's ok.
Do you not realise that?
It is the downfall of our society. Not apocalypse sorta thing, but in terms of morals.
Once one thing is allowed, people will try all sorts of things to get away with, as long as it is still mere inches behind the line of acceptance.
Sex sells. That has been proven, and we have seen countless times nude chicks (not full-on stuff), but a bit of skin in the 'right' places, and while many call it exploitation of the female form, it is still within regulations, sort of.
Us Aussies would know the XBox Launch campaign.
DOA3 had two ads. One said 'Die Smiling', and showed the legs of that chinese chick - it's meant to say that when you die in the game, at least you have a 'great view'.
The second ad was of that white haired chick. Her boobs practically pouring out of that silver jumpsuit, and they were the main feature in the ad. The slogan? 'Fake has never looked so real'. It was unappropriately stating the power of the Xbox, whilst at the same time showing off it's 'round-boob processor'.
Whilst I admit I stared at these ads, they are using sex as a means of getting males to buy the XBox - and it looks like it worked.

Well, I knew I was gonna get off track, but what i have said here sorta explains that morals in society are in decline.
Whilst it's said to be inevitable - it's only part of the way we humans would destroy ourselves - at least there are some of us trying to do what we feel is right.
I'm not saying that people's opinions are wrong. Everyone has a right to an opinion. This here is my opinion, and Mouse's stance is his opinion.
It generates healthy debate, and I think it brings out the best in all of us.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2003, 10:57:59 PM »
well 30 years ago in america a black man couldn't drink out of a watrer fountain unlessi t was marked "colored". This was because everyone felt it was immoral to treat black americans equally..or interbreed or what not. Do you agree with these morals? Id hope not. The point is not everyone shares the same moral views. In fact the word moral is so lame. Anyone ever taken a sociology class?

heres a question is it right or wrong to sleep on the floor when your bed is right there? Its neither right nor wrong in our society but you sleep on the bed anyways. Or how bout sleeping reversed...puttign your head at the reverse of the bed and your feet at the back?

Theres a tribe in new gunea that had never seen a white man before...i was watchign this special and this french guy became friends with this tribe. The tribesman had been told by his grandfather that "there is no such thing as a white man". When they eat they hit the side of their head to say its good...you would say its good verbally...they smack the side of their head. Also the women walk around with their tops off...and you don't see the men constanty staring at their tits. And of course no one see's anythign wrogn with walking around naked because their have nver been a reason to walk around with clothes on...the wheather is perfect.

on the other hand it got really cold elsewhere in the world and youd die in areas if you didnt wear your clothes...evntually people got so used to wearing clothes that they felt uncomfortable without them....and that got built into religious doctrine.

to say people have no morals is rediculous. They just have a different set then you. The onyl way to look at anything objectively is to look at everything without bias. Like the wind.......

and we did not get those doa advertisement...they were definitely not that raunchy...and the tribes man in new gunea would have the crap scared out of him if he saw a tv....a mirror scared the crap out of him....what are these ghost people running around? also i think he would have a tough time telling the game from reality...anyways....

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2003, 02:14:36 AM »
Perm, was I talking about the morals of indigenous tribes?
No!
I/we are not talking about that.
I am talking about the morals or OUR society. The one where we live in huge concrete buildings and ride in metal monsters called cars. Where we don't hunt for food, but the food is dead when we aquire it. Where we can go for journeys that would other wise take a lifetime in a matter of hours.
Western society.
What those cultures do is up to them.

Much like how in many cultures it is perfectly acceptable to walk around naked, it is of course NOT acceptable in western society.
What you are talking about, Perm, is strying quite a bit from what we are talkin about.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2003, 04:25:03 AM »
Western society is starting to go down the drain either way.  You can hide under the moral blanket of it for a few more decades, but globalization is slowly hologenizing the world, and guess what, western civilization ain't going to be the only thing there.  One other thing though, can you explain why nudity is unacceptable in western civilization?  Do you honestly know any logical reason? If you don't why do you believe it?

« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2003, 05:38:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Marcus Arillius
The End of "humanity", eh?  My my, that's a very ethnocentric view if I do say so myself.  I would say "who cares? It's just a word." However, for the time being it's considered taboo in our culture.  Can't change culture in a day.  No sir-ee bob.  
I never could understand why words are taboo though.  We humans are so odd.  Censorship... meh.

Regardless of what you may think about censorship, we do have certain rules in this forum which you agree to abide by when you post here.  One of them says that you may not use defamatory language against other people. - Jonny

I'm very well aware of that Jonny.  That's why I haven't.  If you're regarding my use of the word "ethnocentric" I emplore you to look it up.  You'll find I was completely factual in my remark.
it was time for a change.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2003, 06:29:03 AM »

I have never heard of George Carlin.

o_O I'm sorry, I can't carry on a conversation with this man.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2003, 10:07:07 AM »
Uh, are you serious?
The fact that I've never heard of ONE person out of the billions on the planet is so hard for you to comprehend?

Have you heard of Dave Hughes? Jimoen? Wil Anderson? Peter Hellier? Carl Barron? Greg Fleet? These guys are all great Aussie comedians.
WHAT??? OMG! You HAVEN'T heard of them????
OMFG!!!!1111YOOO dun knowem im gunna not talk to yas anymorooeee!

I can't believe you are taking that so seriously.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2003, 10:37:50 AM »
the western idea is if everyone was naked....people couldn't help themselef but to have sex all the time...which is monkeyslobber...its just our group has ritualised sex in such a way that you must be naked to have sex. In other cultures nakedness isn't connected to sex. Sex is sex and nudity is nudity or nudity isn't even a concept.

the idea is our culture only does things because its been a tradition for 1000s of years and has made things culturaly wrong maybe possibly because at one point or another it was neccassary for survival...but now we stick to everything and we should really evaluate our ways of thinking. The way I look at our culture is that were just one of many....and at the same time we may be way ahead of others in technology but that doesnt mean the way we do everything is right or wrong. Personally murder, rape, torture, and thievory are the only things that i see are wrong...and actually i think every culture agrees on those things.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2003, 10:45:21 AM »

Personally murder, rape, torture, and thievory are the only things that i see are wrong...and actually i think every culture agrees on those things.

I take it one step further.  I don't think that there is such a thing as right and wrong.  The rules of the universe state that it's totally irrelevent if people kill eachother.

The thing is that there ARE rules that we as people must follow in order to work together and not end up causing our own extinction.  Man is a herd animal, and it's not possible for us to live alone.  As a result, thieving, murder, rape, and lying are accepted almost universally as being wrong because the people who do such acts are maladaptive, and result in social harm done to the rest of the herd.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2003, 10:51:05 AM »
yeah...really their only wrong because they do no good for the group...otherwise as grey ninja stated they are totally irrelevant.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2003, 11:07:51 AM »
Termin8: No, I'm not serious, but I truthfully think we're not going to be able to have a very good conversation about George Carlin if you don't know who he is. And I'm not surprised that you don't know who just one comedian is out of many, it's that George Carlin is one of the most influential and revolutionary comedians to date, and really paved the way for modern stand up.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2003, 11:49:53 AM »
I think the world would be a better place if everyone went around naked and had rampant, public sexual escapades all the time.  Oh, and everything should be free.  And I should be able to kill whoever I want to.

I was serious about that. . . mostly

I figure clothes exist merely to make the actual intercourse more exciting and pleasurable.  And for coldness.  So yeah, I'm gonna go dance.
**goes and dances**
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2003, 11:51:03 AM »
Nudity is considered offensive because of religion, but that's a whole other subject.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2003, 11:59:51 AM »
Eh? How do clothes help intercourse?  If anything its a pain in the ass to take them off.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2003, 12:05:12 PM »
Merely psychologically.

And then of course there's leather. . .
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2003, 03:36:09 PM »
you could you know do it with your cloths on...you would get the same feeling maybe a bit mroe chaffing....and it would be a bit messy.....err anyways.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2003, 03:41:51 PM »
It's much more efficient to leave your most of your clothes on, but it's definitely not sexy
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2003, 03:49:50 PM »
Yoy, I'm talking about it's better to have the clothes off during intercourse since you have them on all other times.  Nitwits Except for the aforementioned leather accessories.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2003, 04:04:11 PM »
Let's turn this discussion more family friendly, huh?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa