Author Topic: Pokemon Good for Kids?  (Read 12767 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Pokemon Good for Kids?
« on: September 07, 2004, 06:02:36 AM »
I don't think the research includes the TV show.

WANT TO TEACH KIDS POSITIVE VALUES? PARENTS SAY: LET THEM PLAY POKÉMON

Survey Finds Pokémon Players Make the Grade

REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 7, 2004 –A survey of nearly 2,100 parents confirms what Nintendo has known all along: Pokémon® video games help kids learn important core values and skills. Nintendo commissioned Impulse Research Corp. to conduct the survey to coincide with today's launch of two new highly anticipated video games, Pokémon® FireRed and Pokémon® LeafGreen for Game Boy® Advance.

Key responses from responding parents include:

More than 75 percent think that Pokémon does a good job of promoting positive values and enhances strategic thinking.

Almost 70 percent say that Pokémon improves memory skills and promotes teamwork.

More than 60 percent believe that Pokémon increases mental agility and awareness as well as promotes cooperation with friends. "We're proud to be a part of a video game franchise that parents believe helps boost important skills, like teamwork and memory, that can translate to kids excelling in school," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "And, with the new Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter bundled with Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen, players now can expand their abilities even further by testing their brain power against many other players simultaneously."

Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen contain expanded lands for players to explore. Players can choose to play as either a boy or girl Trainer as they encounter characters from, and transfer information between, previous games like Pokémon Colosseum™, Pokémon® Ruby and Pokémon® Sapphire. A new-and-improved Pokédex is more colorful and easier to use than ever.

Today's launch of two new Pokémon games, Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen, also marks the debut of  the new Game Boy® Advance Wireless Adapter with wireless communication technology from Freescale Semiconductor, which comes packaged with the games. The adapters allow up to 40 players to come together in a Union Room within the games to chat, trade or battle Pokémon without being connected by cables.

Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen, Rated E for Everyone, each sell for an MSRP of $39.99, a price that includes the Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter.

Impulse Research Corp. of Los Angeles conducted the online survey in August among a random sample of 2,098 parents across the country who are members of the CyberPulse Advisory Panel. The overall sampling error for the survey is +/- 2.5 percent.

Pokémon USA, Inc., a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages and oversees the property outside of Asia, which includes licensing activities, brand promotions, publication of the trading card game, TV animation, home video entertainment, the official Pokémon Web site, the Pokémon Center NY in Rockefeller Center and pokemoncenter.com, an e-commerce site. Nintendo of America manages marketing and distribution of Pokémon Video Games and the Pokémon Trading Card Game in North America.  

Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 for play on Nintendo's Game Boy® and has evolved into a global cultural phenomenon. Pokémon was introduced in North America in September 1998 and has since generated more than $15 billion in worldwide retail sales. More than 38 million Pokémon video games have been sold in the United States, including Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire, which were the No. 2 and No. 3 best-selling video games of 2003, according to the NPD Group. The trading card game, fueled by organized play programs around the world, has spurred global sales of more than 13 billion cards to date, while the Pokémon animated series on Kids' WB!, now in its sixth season, consistently ranks within the top three shows for boys ages six to 11. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Cheat Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Pokemon Good for Kids?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 07:13:51 AM »
im happy for nintendo
but thats just sad
someday...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 07:13:59 AM »
Who says videogames are bad for you?

But seriously, the only bad thing that could come out of a Pokemon game is a kid wanting to play the game more than do homework...or I guess there's the chance of them sticking their pets into balls and throwing them at each other... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Dwedit

• View Profile
RE:Pokemon Good for Kids?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:42:35 AM »
In other news, a study commissioned by the Tobacoo Industry says that 75% of parents think smoking is good for their kids.

All sponsored 'studies' are 100% BS, and just thinly veiled press releases.
Here come the fortune cookies!  Here come the fortune cookies!  They're wearing paper hats!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:06:55 AM »
Pokemon teaches kids to

A. Buy same game twice with slight improvements (Yellow, Crystal, Fire Red/Leaf Green remakes)
B. Buy rehash sequels (Ruby/Sapphire which failed to improve upon the amazing Gold/Silver)
C. Buy crummy games because of the franchise associated with it (Colloseum, Stadium 1&2)
D. Buy lots and lots and lots of merchandise

It's like Consumer Whore 101.  Pokemon teaches kids the same bad gaming habits that EA teaches adults and Nintendo's other franchises teach the opposite of.  I guess parents don't need to care but from my gamer perspective Pokemon is a bad influence.  "Bad" as in bad taste not bad morally.

Fun fact: all of the good things associated with Pokemon mentioned in this press release can apply to virtually all Nintendo games and kid friendly games in general.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 09:12:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Pokemon teaches kids to

A. Buy same game twice with slight improvements (Yellow, Crystal, Fire Red/Leaf Green remakes)

I'm willing to bet that there is someone with basically 5 different versions of one game.
Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, and Leaf Green.........

"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 10:16:49 AM »

Pokemon teaches kids to

B. Buy rehash sequels (Ruby/Sapphire which failed to improve upon the amazing Gold/Silver)
C. Buy crummy games because of the franchise associated with it (Colloseum, Stadium 1&2)
D. Buy lots and lots and lots of merchandise

Yeesh. Bitter much?  

Offline Ledgehammerous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 10:19:24 AM »
I'm at least 5% less estranged and misanthropic than I was before I discovered Pokemon.  I never would have guessed that the cold chuckles I emit while watching a Clefable slowly "faint" from my Gengar's Toxic attack were products of positive reinforcement.
"If nerdiness were fat, I'd be a big, fat nerd." -Panzer "Panzy" Scappotes

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:34:17 AM »
Well you gotta admit, it does promote good values.  The Pokemon don't die, kids have to work together to collect them all, and you strive to be the best.  Be it that they might be bad in the long run, killing Plusle and the other one (Minus?) is my specialty...and also Aron.  DEATH TO THEM!!
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 10:47:33 AM »
Plusle and Minun...

Pokemon don't die?  How about the Pokemon Tower in Red/Blue/Yellow and Mt. Akuribi in Ruby/Sapphire? =/  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Vrgin X1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 12:38:30 PM »

Originally posted by: ib2kool4u912

Pokemon teaches kids to

I'm willing to bet that there is someone with basically 5 different versions of one game.
Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, and Leaf Green.........

I wonder........(Haven't played RBY in 3-4 years)
Currently Playing:
GCN:  PSO Ep. 3 (10th Place in N.A.[GOD Rank]{as of 9/28/2005} RETIRED)
DS: Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire(381)/FireRed(282), Pokémon Ranger, AC:WW

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 01:16:55 PM »
Anyone else just finds this histerical?
Besides the T.V. is bad for you, but only because no one on that show has any common sense.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 02:07:28 PM »
That's it.  We're doomed.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »
Pokemon is one of the best things to happen to my life. Seriously.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 06:04:32 AM »
Pokemon will teach virtues with the new holy type pokemon! These pokemon attack by saying the 10 commandments and teach children values all at the same time!
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline DaTwig

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 02:19:12 PM »
What's your source for this article?
Xx Da Twig xX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 03:07:19 PM »
It's from the Nintendo of America online press room.  Confirmed -nya.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 04:51:05 PM »
Gee...  all videogames do those positive things...  with the exception of the crap games and violent/sex games in some respects do that but also do bad.  Anyway I guess Pokemon is the best game to do those positive things for young kids though.  How about a study that shows all videogame's contribute positive things to people, rather than them just getting blamed each time a kid shoots up his school...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 10:34:23 AM »
The Pope himself praised Pokemon for promoting teamplay and teaching children that you cannot win by being selfish (though to me Pokemon promoted Rambo-style one-against-the-world play...).