Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167914 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7725 on: September 27, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
Retro has been an invaluable asset for Nintendo. Too bad they are Nintendo's only official link to the Western development world. Nintendo needs to buy (or startup) a second Western studio. It's surprising that a company as big as Nintendo tends to keep all their game development within Japan. Why not open up a few more European and American studios to diversify their portfolio?

It's too hard to upend tea tables from half way around the world.
Although they could have a robot that rolls around each office set up with cameras and wifi so that Miyamoto can keep an eye on these studios and remotely have the robot upend the tea tables for him.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: September 27, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
they could have a robot that rolls around each office set up with cameras and wifi so that Miyamoto can keep an eye on these studios and remotely have the robot upend the tea tables for him.
Ha!
+1 from me (if I could; I assume that ability willl show up one day.)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
Retro has been an invaluable asset for Nintendo. Too bad they are Nintendo's only official link to the Western development world. Nintendo needs to buy (or startup) a second Western studio. It's surprising that a company as big as Nintendo tends to keep all their game development within Japan. Why not open up a few more European and American studios to diversify their portfolio?

Although they could have a robot that rolls around each office set up with cameras and wifi so that Miyamoto can keep an eye on these studios and remotely have the robot upend the tea tables for him.

Then Nintendo should give more power to NOA and NOE. Let NOA and NOE make their own decisions and fund their own studios, instead of using them as puppets. Sony gives SCEA and SCEE their own corporate freedom, and it's worked out quite well for the company. They have a diverse portfolio of games and developers to utilize.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
Nintendo should buy Sony Santa Monica
And Rockstar San Diego

Nintendo should buy Everything
And Everybody
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »

Then Nintendo should give more power to NOA and NOE. Let NOA and NOE make their own decisions and fund their own studios, instead of using them as puppets. Sony gives SCEA and SCEE their own corporate freedom, and it's worked out quite well for the company. They have a diverse portfolio of games and developers to utilize.

SEGA had a similar corporate setup as what you are describing and it ended up with the three major branches of the company being a bigger threat to each other that their actual competitors like Nintendo. The lack of consolidation with the various branches of SEGA is what led to the Saturn fiasco, and eventually the downfall of the company's hardware empire. There is a reason why one divisin controls everything and writes checks: consolidation equals success.

As for Sony, while their first party games are very superb, the fact that the company has experienced massive debt in everyone of its divisions tells me that Sony is not a company that I would want to emulate.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:53 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sega ironically, a Company started by an American after WWII? Could've sworn I heard it somewhere.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7731 on: September 28, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sega ironically, a Company started by an American after WWII? Could've sworn I heard it somewhere.

Yes, it was founded as Service Games (which is where "Sega" came from), and he would import games from America to Japan. Eventually they merged with Rosen Enterprises (found by David Rosen, they started as a company that made two-minute photo booths and later imported coin-op games to Japan) to become Sega Enterprises. So yeah, Sega is an American-created company (from 1969-1982 they were even owned by Gulf+Western, the company now known as Viacom).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: September 28, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Yes, it was founded as Service Games (which is where "Sega" came from), and he would import games from America to Japan. Eventually they merged with Rosen Enterprises (found by David Rosen, they started as a company that made two-minute photo booths and later imported coin-op games to Japan) to become Sega Enterprises. So yeah, Sega is an American-created company (from 1969-1982 they were even owned by Gulf+Western, the company now known as Viacom).

You're gonna tell me you didn't have to wiki search that info, and all of that, names dates and all, were common everyday knowledge in that head of yours?

edit: LOL haha just noticed this

TJ Spyke
Wikipedia Lite

nice
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:10:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »

You're gonna tell me you didn't have to wiki search that info, and all of that, names dates and all, were common everyday knowledge in that head of yours?

TJ Spyke[size=0.85em]Wikipedia Lite
[/size]
  • [size=0.85em][/size]

nice
lol +1 for BnM
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
TJ Spyke vs Prospective Jeopardy Contestant Shaymin!
Fight to the Death Death Death.

First will be the Price is Right Round.
Second be the Jeopardy Round.
Ending in the Wrastl'n Round.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7735 on: September 28, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

TJ Spyke
Wikipedia Lite

nice

I had to look up the dates it was owned by Gulf+Western, but I did know everything else (mainly from reading Steven Kent's The Ultimate History of Video Games multiple times before).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »

So technically SEGA is an American company that's based in Japan with all-Japanese employees. But SEGA does a lot of software development in America, too. So are they an American or Japanese company?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:59:56 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Retro is not only making engines, they wouldn't have hired some amazing character modelers otherwise. They are probably making a really good engine though, but a game too.

Chances are it will be a very powerful engine that will be used by Nintendo internally thmselves, and a select group of 3rd parties who will make new games, or ports.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: September 28, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
Retro is not only making engines, they wouldn't have hired some amazing character modelers otherwise. They are probably making a really good engine though, but a game too.

Chances are it will be a very powerful engine that will be used by Nintendo internally thmselves, and a select group of 3rd parties who will make new games, or ports.

Who would have thought we'd see Nintendo making an internal game engine for widespread use. Technically, Retro is making it, but they are owned by Nintendo and they answer to Nintendo HQ.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
So technically SEGA is an American company that's based in Japan with all-Japanese employees. But SEGA does a lot of software development in America, too. So are they an American or Japanese company?

No, SEGA is technically a terrible company with all-incompetent executives.

Just kidding SEGA, btw...I might apply for a job with you one day...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7740 on: September 29, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
No, they are a Japanese company. They were bought by Japanese in the 80s and again in the 2000s. They also closed down much of their American and European operations over the past year.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Metal Gear Rising U, spring 2013!?
« Reply #7741 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
HipHopGamer says: Metal Gear Rising coming to Wii U
to be announced next year for Wii U w/ extra content and better graphics than the PS360 versions

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNciGYEu-zo#t=2m38s

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: October 01, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Platinum Games was on that reel.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »
Platinum Games was on that reel.

Yep. It seems Platinum Games is (co-)developing the game, and it's releasing on my birthday.

Nintendo Cozying up to Platinum may have it perks after all ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Nintendo Cozying up to Platinum may have it perks after all ;)
If only Shinji Mikami was still working with Platinum Games... Blerg! /LizLemonStyle

Assuming this is true, would you prefer extra content/better graphics or the game released alongside the other versions? I wonder if Nintendo could convince Konami to allow Platinum Games to port Ground Zeroes to Wii U. I know GZ is using Kojima Productions' own Fox Engine (instead of Platinum Games' own engine like Rising), but a girl can dream, right?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: October 01, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I'd want both, considering P* knows the Wii U inside and out. I'm sure they've been developing all versions side by side, considering their relationship with Nintendo recently. I really don't see why we couldn't have both (outside of the MS clause for game parity, but we can circumvent that with Wii U exclusive DLC at launch).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: October 01, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
I think we'd all want both. I was asking mostly in a hypothetical either/or scenario. If I could only pick one, I'd take the extra content.

I'm pretty excited about Nintendo and Platinum Games' relationship lately. They're exact the type of developer Nintendo should be working with because Nintendo is deficient in the types of games they make. Yeah, they're mostly niche, but they fill a need and there are people who would buy a whole console just for their games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: October 01, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
I applaud moves like this and how Nintendo snagged Bayonetta 2 and buying Fatal Frame and so forth. But I still can't get over the fact it took Nintendo so long to do this. Why didn't they make these moves years ago when they were sorely needed on the Wii? Its like even Nintendo knew the Wii was a lost cause, so they decided to wait until their next console before doing anything.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
Something specifically like Platinum Games might have to do with timing. Platinum Games released their 1st games in 2009. The Wonderful 101 is a launch window game and has probably been in development since 2010. Nintendo acted as quickly as one could hope here. It made more sense to work with them to make a Wii U game than Wii swan song.

Nintendo have made moves throughout the Wii's life and before then. They did scoop up Monolith Soft back in 2007 who then opened a new studio in Kyoto in 2011. These things take time and money. Nintendo hasn't been sitting idly by. Some moves have worked better than others. For every Monolith Soft, there's Silicon Knights.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: October 01, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
I applaud moves like this and how Nintendo snagged Bayonetta 2 and buying Fatal Frame and so forth. But I still can't get over the fact it took Nintendo so long to do this. Why didn't they make these moves years ago when they were sorely needed on the Wii? Its like even Nintendo knew the Wii was a lost cause, so they decided to wait until their next console before doing anything.

Well yeah since videogames take years to make.  The Wii was on top of the world from 2006 to 2010.  By the time Wii sales finally took a huge hit was 2011 and by that time Nintendo was already planning for a Wii U release in 2012 making it pointless to try and get more big third party games on the Wii before the end of its life.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai