Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167974 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Rare and Nintendo?
« Reply #7300 on: July 19, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Now this rumor is just insane, but it certainly is interesting. Just no way.

[size=0px]According to the tipster, Nintendo is in direct negotiations with Microsoft to buy RARE, though the purpose of buying them seems to be all based around getting the rights to Banjo and Kazooie. Of course, we can't forget the other key franchises Nintendo gets with the acquisition. Conker's Bad Fur Day may have been shunned by Nintendo, but a sequel to that game should be embraced by the Nintendo brass if they want the Wii U to really be for everyone. Of course, this rumor doesn't stop there - it goes as far as to suggest that Retro Studios is actually deep into development on a Banjo and Kazooie title, and that the talks with Microsoft have been ongoing for some time."[/size]
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-nintendo-attempting-to-negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

Yeah, no way in hell that's true for any number of reasons. Out of curiosity, though, is there any precedent for a developer buying the rights for a single franchise when it didn't involve a company going bankrupt? Nintendo knew what they were doing when they sold Rare, but I can almost countenance the notion of them trying to get B&K back. Microsoft clearly doesn't need the franchise, and doesn't seem inclined to let Rare do anything else besides Kinect games. They've probably juiced the HD versions of the original games for about as much as they're worth at this point, so it wouldn't be a big loss to take them off Xbox Live.

Rare and its IPs has and always will be better utilized under Nintendo's sphere of influence. Please let this be true. I want them back on Nintendo consoles very much.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7301 on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Forget Banjo, I'd kill to see what Retro could do with Perfect Dark. I mean, if we're going to dream, we might as well go all out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: July 19, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
Forget Banjo, I'd kill to see what Retro could do with Perfect Dark. I mean, if we're going to dream, we might as well go all out.

I have some good ideas for what they could do with Perfect Dark.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »

All out? Conker's Bad Fur Day: The Day After.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: July 19, 2012, 10:22:19 PM »
If Rare and Nintendo got back together  then think about what it would mean for the next Smash Brtohers game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7305 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
Of course, this rumor doesn't stop there - it goes as far as to suggest that Retro Studios is actually deep into development on a Banjo and Kazooie title, and that the talks with Microsoft have been ongoing for some time."
This is why I don't believe this rumor. Why would Retro Studios have already started to work on a game for a series Nintendo doesn't own? What if negotiations broke down? That would be like if the Brooklyn Nets started making Dwight Howard jerseys back in June. This isn't like Pac-Man Vs. where Nintendo was experimenting with a concept with probably only a few programmers. And at least Namco was a 3rd party when Nintendo developed Pac-Man Vs. There aren't as many barriers.
If Rare and Nintendo got back together  then think about what it would mean for the next Smash Brtohers game.
Probably nothing. The roster was probably finalized back in April/May. I suppose there could be DLC characters, but Katsuhiro Harada, who produces Tekken and is involved with the new Smash Bros. games, is not a fan, going as far as to say he would maybe quit than deal with paid DLC. It's not up to him since Sakurai is in charge. However, he might have enough influence to say, "F that noise." Unless Nintendo released it for free... what are the chances of that?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »
Screw all that noise; Grabbed by the Ghoulies HD Remix!

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: July 19, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
Screw all that noise; Grabbed by the Ghoulies HD Remix!

Not obscure enough.  Time for a new Jetpac game!  :cool;

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: July 19, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
Jumping on this bandwagon I like to see Jet Force Gemini with pointer controls.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: July 19, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
Now this rumor is just insane, but it certainly is interesting. Just no way.

[size=0px]According to the tipster, Nintendo is in direct negotiations with Microsoft to buy RARE, though the purpose of buying them seems to be all based around getting the rights to Banjo and Kazooie. Of course, we can't forget the other key franchises Nintendo gets with the acquisition. Conker's Bad Fur Day may have been shunned by Nintendo, but a sequel to that game should be embraced by the Nintendo brass if they want the Wii U to really be for everyone. Of course, this rumor doesn't stop there - it goes as far as to suggest that Retro Studios is actually deep into development on a Banjo and Kazooie title, and that the talks with Microsoft have been ongoing for some time."[/size]
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-nintendo-attempting-to-negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

As far fetched as this may seem, I would like to point out that Nintendo DID recently purchase the Fatal Frame franchise. Does that help lend some credence to this rumor? If Nintendo recently bought one franchise (Fatal Frame), then them buying others (B&K) seems a bit more plausible.

But remember, this rumor is just that they are ATTEMPTING to negotiate. That's a far cry from actually succeeding. There are many hurdles that could get in the way.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:16:37 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: July 19, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »
You know, it is possible that some Retro folk were fans of some Rare franchise and started dabbling in a side project off of a Rare franchise and Nintendo was so impressed that they are trying to acquire the property.

Or they realize how much they could capitalize on N64 nostalgia considering over half of that system's hits were from the Rare library.

Another thought: they may have nearly cinched a deal to re-release Goldeneye but they have to 'eliminate' one of the potential hands that could be holding onto the prize. Reacquire Rare from Microsoft and that is one less party at the table.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7311 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
Jumping on this bandwagon I like to see Jet Force Gemini with pointer controls.
OOOOOOH. You're my new favorite person! :D
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
I doubt the validity to the Nintendo/Microsoft/RARE threesome, but I wouldn't be that shocked to find out if it were true. Nintendo and Microsoft don't have the bad blood between them that Nintendo and SONY have, or that Microsoft and SONY have. Nintendo did sell their old Seattle land to Microsoft not that long ago, and Microsoft published RARE titles on the GBA (and DS?).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
(and DS?).

Viva Pinata and Diddy Kong Racing. But these came out in 2007 and 2008 respectively, and there has been nothing else since then.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7314 on: July 20, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »
Well, there hasn't been much out in general since then. They've been working on avatar and Kinect stuff instead.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
You know, it is possible that some Retro folk were fans of some Rare franchise and started dabbling in a side project off of a Rare franchise and Nintendo was so impressed that they are trying to acquire the property.

Yeah, it could be that Retro is trying to pull off a reverse (or anti?) Dinosaur Planet, working up a next-gen platformer/adventurer game with the hopes that they can plug in Banjo and Kazooie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: July 20, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »
Benjamin Frankin wants Banja Kazooie back. It just makes sense.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
Zelda Informer is a website notorious for making stupid rumors up.  Seriously people, anytime you hear a rumor from Zelda Informer you should know it's false right away because 100% of all their rumors since the very creation of the site of been wrong.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: July 20, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »
Zelda Informer is a website notorious for making stupid rumors up.  Seriously people, anytime you hear a rumor from Zelda Informer you should know it's false right away because 100% of all their rumors since the very creation of the site of been wrong.

I have to admit, the name "Zelda Informer" does make the site a bit hard to take seriously.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7319 on: July 20, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »
But...stupid rumors get hits and are exciting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:04:53 AM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7320 on: July 20, 2012, 03:26:24 AM »
Man why is no one talking about the 2 unannounced better looking major multiplayform games? That's the rumor that should have gotten all the responses!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: July 20, 2012, 03:31:24 AM »
What kind of (realistic) news can we expect from the next Nintendo Direct?

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »
Pah, Microsoft can keep Rare, what talent is left with them anyway? N64 was a long time ago!

On the other hand I love Banjo and would be delighted if a dev I have some faith in (like Retro) could work on a proper sequel (NOT nuts and bolts).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
Man why is no one talking about the 2 unannounced better looking major multiplayform games? That's the rumor that should have gotten all the responses!
Probably because that one was less specific than the Rare one. That Rare rumor was so easy to pick apart; that's why i responded to it. The other one was just vague enough that it could be true and could be twisted any which way to be construed as true once we know more about Wii U's upcoming lineup. That said, there isn't much to talk about. Those 2 games could literally be any 2 games coming out. Pick 2 games and that's kind of it: Resident Evil 6 and Tomb Raider.
Pah, Microsoft can keep Rare, what talent is left with them anyway? N64 was a long time ago!
I think the point of scooping up Rare was specifically for their IPs which Nintendo made no attempt to keep when they sold back their near-half in Rare and let them walk. The rumor is claiming that Nintendo wants all of those IPs, namely the Banjo series. They're not in it for the talent or what's left of them. A good bulk of Rare's talent from the N64 days are at Crytek UK (Free Radical Designs) anyway. It's a bizarre rumor to say the least. Why would Nintendo want a bunch of franchises a decade later that Microsoft either didn't use or squandered? I could see Nintendo wanting something with tons of history that was just dormant like Mega Man. Then again, maybe Nintendo would want Rare's IPs because they're inextricably a part of Nintendo's history. Having Banjo and Conker sure would make Diddy Kong Racing feel more complete.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: July 20, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Releasing Rare games on the VC is money in the bank. I would definitely buy Killer Instinct Gold. But yeah...this idea is bullish.

As for the two games, my guess they are from a developer who was given a Wii U Dev kit early; probably EA.
black fairy tales are better at sports