Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168159 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7000 on: May 28, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Wasn't there a rumor recently that Nintendo upped the camera resolution?

I remember reading something about that. They were trying to use VGA cameras (again), but I think it was actually cheaper to upgrade. I hope they decided to dream bigger.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: May 28, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
Normally I'm very lazy, but I'm also bored, so to remedy that I de-hideoused your text for you.

Thank you my kind sir ;D .

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »
LOL Matrix.

Not sure if BlackNMild posted any of this. But supposedly stuff from the latest Dev Kit for Wii U.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/wii-u-rumors-new-functions-available-in-new-dev-kits?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

-Video Chat is available, but must be from the main menu of the system (not while playing a game).

-Voice Commands are available (similar to this rumor we heard about the 3DS maybe?)

-Facial Recognition (similar to features of the Xbox Kinect)

-Ability to suspend games, similar to 3DS.

-Ability to share achievements with friends by sending videos or screenshots with drawings on them.

-Watch a friend play online

-Multitasking (example: keep a text or video walkthrough open from the site while playing the game, swap back and forth as needed)

It's everything we heard was coming. One of which I even mentioned in that article I wrote for the site (watching a friend play), so I'm glad that devs finally have access to it.

Has this been posted yet?

based on the IBM 710 Express chip- underclocked at 3 GHz- comes with 4 cores and 8 threads- 20X faster than the chip found in the Wii- made by IBM and is based on their POWER 7 architecture- built on 45nm- the standard has 6 cores and runs at speeds of up to 3.7 GHz- 710 Express chip can also execute 4 threads per core at the same- Nintendo has scaled this down for Wii U- threads per core will go down from 4 to 2- roughly ?around 50% more powerful than current gen systems[/font][/color]
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/wii-u-cpu-said-to-support-8-threads-is-20x-faster-than-wii/[/b]

we knew it was gonna have 2 threads per core, but it was previously rumored to only have 3 cores (accessible to devs). So maybe this also goes with the other rumor we heard a while back that it would have a 4th core, but it was reserved for system features (just like the 2nd core was on the 3DS)

I'll add both of these to the rumor list later, I just uipdated it earlier today.

Offline acidboy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:44 AM »
CATERKILLER...dude!!.. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ...pls reassure us that what you are saying is true..my hype just went down the toilet.. :'( :'( :'( :'(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475868

Offline sebasrd27

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: May 29, 2012, 06:18:15 AM »
About Unreal 4 on WiiU...  Mike Capps from Epic Games, confirmed on the last GDC that WiiU is only capable to Run Unreal 3, but no Unreal 4. The Journalist Geoff Keighley have confirmed this via Twitter. LetĀ“s see if something has changed since GDC...

It seems the Dev kits have been upgrading a bit since then, but, I donĀ“t know what to think...
:(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:20:04 AM by sebasrd27 »

Offline acidboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »
About Unreal 4 on WiiU...  Mike Capps from Epic Games, confirmed on the last GDC that WiiU is only capable to Run Unreal 3, but no Unreal 4. The Journalist Geoff Keighley have confirmed this via Twitter. LetĀ“s see if something has changed since GDC...

It seems the Dev kits have been upgrading a bit since then, but, I donĀ“t know what to think...
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
I'm not sure why you guys are surprised/worried.  Keighley just confirmed some old news.  Besides, we've seen multiple rumors that the dev kits have been progressively better.

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
And also at GDC they had the E3 2011 Wii U models.  They wouldn't make the effort of announcing such a distinction if something hadn't changed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:03:30 AM by Snake-Arms »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
Just because the Dev kits have improved doesn't mean they've improved by enough to allow Unreal 4. I guess we will just have to wait and see (and hope).
is your sanity...

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: May 29, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Just because the Dev kits have improved doesn't mean they've improved by enough to allow Unreal 4. I guess we will just have to wait and see (and hope).

Well if the Wii U can do graphics like the Samaritan demo then I have no issues.  I mean, really, how much better can UE4 look?  It certainly wont be a night and day difference like it was from 2 to 3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: May 29, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »
Reading comprehension guys. UE4 is not targeted at Wii U. That doesn't mean that it will not run UE4.
And this is old news from atleast a month ago.

Caterkiller has not steered you wrong. But dont be surprised if you don't see the big reveal on Wii U at E3. The engine isn't even finished yet.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

Ok here is the tweet.
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/statuses/207297539085578240

My take on it is "No we can't answer the question, so far we have only announced UE3 for Wii U." The original statement is cryptic enough to be taken both ways. Either way when this thing is available in some years I fully expect some form of it on the Wii U.

Also this is just reiteration from GDC, when the question was brought up for GTTV. This is old news, restated and people taking it as some new update. It's not.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:09:07 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
Yeah, UE4 probably will be on the Wii U. They might have to strip things out in order to shoe horn it in, but I'm sure it will be there in one way or another. The question comes down to whether or not the UE4 that the Wii U gets will be the full blown version with all the bells and whistles, or will it be a barebones stripped down watered down version that might be more accurately referred to as UE3.5? That is the question.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:44:05 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: May 29, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Even if Wii U does get what Would essentially be an Unreal Engine 3.5, remember what Epic was telling people games would look like (i.e. the Good Samaritan demo)? Failing that, Unreal Engine 3 still pumps out really impressive visuals. It'd sure be nice if Wii U could handle Unreal Engine 4, but developers who care will always be able to put out great looking games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
UE4 only matters if the PS4 and Xbox 720 support it and the Wii U does not.  The problem with the Wii wasn't specifically that it didn't support UE3 but that it didn't support the industry standard engine.  For all we know UE4 won't have the same widespread use.

Third parties want to use certain tools and do certain things and Nintendo has to make sure that they accomodate that.  The specifics can change with each gen and Nintendo has to anticipate that.  Nintendo could work their butts off to support UE4, only for UE4 to bomb and some other engine that the Wii U is completely incompatible with takes off.  They have to anticipate where the industry is going.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: May 29, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Well the DSi and 3DS cameras are equivalent to standard definition TV resolution, so maybe they at least upped it to 1080p (or even 720p) level.
I believe the rumor was that they upped it from 0.3 mp to 0.7 mp.  I believe that 2 mp is actually what would be the equivalent of 1080P so 720P would be around 0.92 mp.  Maybe 0.7 is the resolution of the uMote screen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
Nintendo could work their butts off to support UE4, only for UE4 to bomb and some other engine that the Wii U is completely incompatible with takes off.

But the thing is UE4 is just software. If Nintendo worked their butts off to support UE4 then the hardware requirements (or at least most of it) would incidentally also be taken care of for any other engine as well. The only problem would be if that hypothetical industry standard engine were far in excess of UE4 in terms of hardware requirements, but considering just how advanced UE4 really is I don't see that as very plausible within the time frame that this generation will encompass.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7017 on: May 29, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
Didn't UE3 get ported to the iPhone? I'll wait on being worried about UE4 on Wii U.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
sounds like ue4 should be called ue5

i dont think we should worry about ue4 or idtech 6, but we should worry about the Crytek engine, source engine, etc

from the sounds of it Epic is being arrogant and is trying to force power into hardware when its not economically feasible yet. Hey if you want your ps4 to be 800-900 dollars then yeah. I can imagine Sony going for it, but Microsoft saying **** that ****.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:59:38 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Well the DSi and 3DS cameras are equivalent to standard definition TV resolution, so maybe they at least upped it to 1080p (or even 720p) level.
I believe the rumor was that they upped it from 0.3 mp to 0.7 mp.  I believe that 2 mp is actually what would be the equivalent of 1080P so 720P would be around 0.92 mp.  Maybe 0.7 is the resolution of the uMote screen.

1920x1080=2073600 (2MP)
1280x720=921600 (.92MP)

Screens aren't measured in megapixels though. Also, megapixels don't really mean much of anything other than "this is how big of a picture it can take," the optics of the camera are what make or break image quality.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7020 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Yeah I kind of doubt the 720/PS4 will even support the UE4.  The current requirements are way to high for an affordable console of any kind.  Unless Microsoft and Sony are willing to sell at a huge lose and lose billions again, no console below $500 will be able to support the current version of the thing.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
Frankly if the masses don't support UE4 Developers won't.  Clear and simple.  UE4 would need to scale for different hardware. 

In this day and age Nintendo should be able to buy competent cameras for dirt cheap now and they should.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: May 29, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
If even the PS420 doesn't support UE4 then that means only PCs will support it. If its not on consoles then there is no way it could be an industry standard, and so the argument over whether or not the Wii U would have it would be moot, because if the PS420 don't have it then who even gives a crap aside from PC gamers? PC gaming will not overtake the console market anytime soon (if ever).
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: May 29, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
It will when consoles synthesize with PCs. I will enjoy being able to plug in a keyboard, mouse, game pad, and motion controllers in to one entertainment machine!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
CATERKILLER...dude!!.. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ...pls reassure us that what you are saying is true..my hype just went down the toilet.. :'( :'( :'( :'(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475868

Just saw that thread, wow the hysteria is through the roof! Again from my last post, all I can say is this "latest" news originated way back during GDC and the sheep are treating it like it's the latest development. It was a couple days to a week after attending GDC that my source talked with me about all things gaming and the UE4 came up. Being a pure Nintendo gamer my source didn't even know I knew how important it could be to Nintendo(like so many other Nintendo only guys who don't frequent gaming only forums) and it was basically mentioned in passing. That's when I freaked out, demanded more info and posted what I did a few months ago.

When I consider everything I've read from Epic, the clear statements and the ambiguous, the things Nintendo has stated they are trying to do with 3rd parties, and what my source told me, I am completely expecting UE4 to be utilized for future games on Wii U. Maybe a slightly better version will be available for PS720, I don't know. But what I do know is at least during the time of GDC, I got very reliable info that Epic and Nintendo were working together to get that thing running on Wii U.

Keep in mind I've gotten no true updates since. If something should happen and a Metro Last Night get's pulled on me, I will hang my head in shame and ban myself. Simple as that. I am a man of my word! Except for the part about going to IGN, I'm never going to that devils playground. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn