Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167473 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5700 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Well, it was true. They may have eased up a little since, but no software gets on Mac without Apple's approval.

That is absolutely false.

In your opinion
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »
From what I've read, the Mac is only "closed" if you consider the Mac App Store and the direction Apple seems to be going with that but anyone can make software for the Mac. Ceric and insanolord already touched on that. I'm admittedly fairly limited in my knowledge because I only read about it recreationally at work since I have the easiest job in the company I work for.

I'm really just curious how long it's going to take tj to relent. /grabs popcorn
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:15:55 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »
Well, it was true. They may have eased up a little since, but no software gets on Mac without Apple's approval.

In your opinion

No, in fact. Anyone can make whatever Mac software they want and release it however they want outside the Mac App Store without any kind of approval or involvement from Apple. You are misinformed.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
You really should post a link before this gets messy. Or you can regulate with your magic modding powers. Either way.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: March 03, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
I don't even know how to link the fact that there are no limitations unless you want on the Mac App Store. I know there are several applications currently installed on my Mac that Apple wouldn't approve of, and that won't get on the Mac App Store because they do things Apple won't let you do on there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: March 03, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »

In your opinion

No, in fact. Anyone can make whatever Mac software they want and release it however they want outside the Mac App Store without any kind of approval or involvement from Apple. You are misinformed.

Before the Mac App Store existed (or any App Store for that matter), software developers would distribute their stuff on websites. That is how you can put any software on a Mac or PC, just by downloading it from the Web. You don't need a dedicated App Store. That just limits what a developer can do, since they'd have to get approval from the store owner (in this case Apple). In the "old days" we'd just download everything from the Web, regardless of if it was "approved" or not.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5706 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
There is a feature in 10.8 (Mountain Lion) called Gatekeeper that can be used to lock a Mac into the Mac App Store... but it's optional and user controlled. (Source). Anyone can still go outside the App Store for open-source software, demos/betas which the App Store doesn't allow, or whatever you want.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: March 04, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »
Why would it flop? Game consoles are closed platforms, yet they still get plenty of developer support. Developers already know what to expect when developing for a game console, so why should a SteamBox be any exception?

Because the console market is already heavily oversaturated, and even though the three in it presently may be profitable, console history is littered with examples of flops from many different companies like Sega, Atari, and so on. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have been in the console business for at least a decade and in Microsoft's case they had to hemhorrage a huge amount of money to get the Xbox brand to where it is today. I don't think Valve has the billions at its disposal to strong arm its way to success like that, and even if they could why would they want to? They make money with their Steam service, and that's good enough. Its more in their interest to get that Steam service running on more hardware than to actually enter the hardware race themselves.

So that's why this thing is simply a PC and not a new proprietary console which developers would have to rework their games to support. It will run Windows, so any game which is designed for windows should work on the steambox. Developers also won't have to pay licensing fees like they do on consoles. They will have to pay to run their games on Steam, but that's how it is on any other PC as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:06:01 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: March 04, 2012, 02:06:34 AM »
I don't think Valve has the billions at its disposal to strong arm its way to success like that, and even if they could why would they want to?
Why else? To make even more money by spreading they brand.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: March 04, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »
I don't think Valve has the billions at its disposal to strong arm its way to success like that, and even if they could why would they want to?
Why else? To make even more money by spreading they brand.

But they can spread their Steam brand just as well and at less cost by getting it to work on things like the WiiU.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »
And if Nintendo refuses?

There are certainly benefits to controlling your own platform. Why else would Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft bother?

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
I want substance! where's the Gossip? the Juicy details! The agony! BnM save us! Steam talk is killing me xD
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:46 AM »
Tell me about it man lol, this week better bring news.  I've been popping on every couple of hours in hopes of a new scoop from BnM lol.  The wait for E3 is going to be brutal.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: March 04, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »
Yeah, with GDC coming up, I'm expecting news and showings of Wii U, actual game demos, Surprise game announcements, something big lol. Tri Force with AMD, Nintendo and Crytek being close to each other. Maybe we can get another DDR Mario from Konami? lol

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: March 04, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
And if Nintendo refuses?

Then Nintendo adopts Origin, or tries creating their own thing and then we end up with another 5 years of shitty online infrastructure on a Nintendo console. Steam is probably Nintendo's best option.

And even if Nintendo turns them down, that's where the Steambox comes in. Valve can expand Steam by having it preinstalled on PCs so it is available to more people. It looks like that is what they are aiming for with that. For the umpteenth time this is not a new console or platform, its a PC with Steam preinstalled. That's all it is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:42:52 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: March 04, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
Then Nintendo adopts Origin, or tries creating their own thing and then we end up with another 5 years of shitty online infrastructure on a Nintendo console. Steam is probably Nintendo's best option.
No, that's not the point. This isn't about Nintendo. It doesn't matter what they do here. This is about Valve. For clarification: If Nintendo refuses, then Valve doesn't get to expand their brand that way. Sucks for both of them but that's not the point. The point is Valve doesn't get to expand Steam through an existing console maker.
And even if Nintendo turns them down, that's where the Steambox comes in. Valve can expand Steam by having it preinstalled on PCs so it is available to more people. It looks like that is what they are aiming for with that. For the umpteenth time this is not a new console or platform, its a PC with Steam preinstalled. That's all it is.
I'm not saying Valve can't expand Steam through pre-installation and/or a Steambox. Of course, they can. It would be silly to believe otherwise. That's the very definition of expansion. I'm saying Valve can also expand Steam by releasing their own console, especially one that could and probably would have cross platform play between PC and a Valve console, something no other console would likely offer.

You asked why Valve would want to release their own console and the answer is quite simple: To make more money. It's the same reason every other console that has released a console in the past has released a console. If there was no money to be made, they wouldn't make consoles. Of course, there are other ways of doing things. Valve probably shouldn't go through the headache of launching a console in an already crowded market in order to expand Steam's reach. However, it's not a question of should Valve release a console; it's a question of why.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:55:55 AM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
Making money on a console requires that the console succeed, and as history has shown that isn't always the case. The reason there are only 3 console makers right now when there have been so many others over the years is because all the others have failed. So the success rate for a console maker is actually pretty slim, because the overwhelming majority are now extinct.

If Valve did enter the console race many would view that as a hostile act and a threat and would take measures to undermine them. Its a safe bet that EA for example would refuse to support that console. EA is a major player in the console market, and the fact they didn't support the Dreamcast at all did have a lot to do with that console's failure. Would other companies besides EA support it? Maybe, maybe not. But without EA on board others may be more reluctant.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:41:58 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: March 04, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »
To be honest, I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. I answered your question twice now. Why would Business X do Action Y? Because Business X wants to make money on Action Y. That doesn't mean they're going to. It means that's the plan. It's the same reason any company does anything. You insist on bringing in all of these different factors that are ultimately irrelevant to the question you originally asked and I answered. Regarding your original question, it doesn't matter if Valve succeeds, who supports what, and so on. You didn't ask about that originally. I answered your question with the only correct answer to it. You're posing these additional scenarios and, no offense, I'm not interested in discussing them.

In any case, we really need some Nintendo rumors to talk about.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:26:08 AM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: March 04, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/04/nintendo-software-technology-developing-a-new-game/

Nintendo Software Technology developing some new unannounced game. They think it could be wave race or 1080.

But just a rumor from some guy at another forum, don't know how reliable he is.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/04/nintendo-software-technology-developing-a-new-game/

Nintendo Software Technology developing some new unannounced game. They think it could be wave race or 1080.

But just a rumor from some guy at another forum, don't know how reliable he is.

NST is also hiring

Senior Software Engineer - Webkit

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: March 04, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
^( ' ' )^ Still bored lol. Any rumor relating to Capcom, Konami, Namco Collab?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
No, but there is a little rumor that crawled it's way out of 2ch a few days ago. Nothing that would ever make it onto the official rumor list of course, but I'll post if if you want to hear it.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5722 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
Wasn't Banpresto in on that as well, basically clinching the game being a Super Robot Wars/Virtual On/Steel Batallion crossover?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5723 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:40 PM »
Nowadays, Banpresto is owned by Namco Bandai, so, not necessarily.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
I think Namdai was releasing it under the Banpresto name.