Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167895 times)

Luigi Dude and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5600 on: February 28, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
The Wii's questionable/poor third party support and droughts of interesting games probably made it hard for it to be a person's only video game console.

Not at all.  You just have to know what you want out of gaming.

yeah i'm one of those wii only gamers this generation (not counting ds) and use my PC to supplement my gaming, mostly to get my Valve fix. Main reason being is that a lot of the big "dudebro" games on the other consoles dont really interest me that much.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
I'm a huge RPG fan so I basically end up having to own all hardware each generation as rpgs are usually spread out through consoles.  I had to have my 360 for the Mass Effect trilogy, my PS3 for any rpg that might require online access since its free on that network, and my Wii basically for Zelda, Xenoblade, and now the Last Story.  I'm really hoping the WiiU gets all the multiplatform releases this coming generation because its getting harder and harder to own all available systems.  There is less and less time to play all these games and money is always an issue.  I'm not even going to begin to mention the forest of wires I have behind my entertainment center as a result of this gaming consone get together.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: February 28, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
The Wii's questionable/poor third party support and droughts of interesting games probably made it hard for it to be a person's only video game console.

Not at all.  You just have to know what you want out of gaming.

Heh. In my case, I want high-fidelity racing, action, and role-playing games to play and those kinds of games didn't come to the Wii as often as I would like. Thankfully, I have a PC to play Burnout Paradise, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and other games.

That said, I wouldn't have all the hours of fun I had in The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces without the Wii.

yeah i'm one of those wii only gamers this generation (not counting ds) and use my PC to supplement my gaming, mostly to get my Valve fix.

Not counting the DS and PC is cheating! :p

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
yeah i'm one of those wii only gamers this generation (not counting ds) and use my PC to supplement my gaming, mostly to get my Valve fix.

Not counting the DS and PC is cheating! :p

well i meant for home consoles, as for PC i literally just play valve games and half life 2 mods (GoldenEye: Source ftw!)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
I've been a one-console-a-generation guy for most of my life though what I have done is inevitably bought the top competing console, when it is no longer current, to play some of the big titles I missed.  Cost is mostly the big issue.  Videogame systems are expensive when they're current so it is much more affordable to just buy one system.  It doesn't have to have everything but be good enough that I can keep up with its release schedule and have good games to play on a regular basis.

The Wii was the first console I ever owned that was so inept and meeting my basic videogame needs that I bought a PS3 when it was still current.  I was disappointed in the N64's and Gamecube's underachievement but never felt I made a mistake in picking them.  With the Wii I found myself thinking "why did I buy this?"  So it would be nice if I could buy the Wii U and only the Wii U and feel like I made a worthwhile purchase that suits my basic videogame needs, even if it doesn't do so perfectly.  It never can be perfect anyway.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: February 28, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
Or, stay with me here, you could just stick with the PS3 that you already own, save money by not buying another console, AND be content since almost every game you want is coming out on PS3. Doesn't that fit your description of a console that "doesn't have to have everything but [is] good enough that [you] can keep up with its release schedule and have good games to play on a regular basis?"

Here's your alternative: pay $300 or more for Wii U and then be disappointed in all the Nintendo games that don't meet your specific wants, needs, and desires which, judging by the content of 95% of your posts has been at least 5 years (most likely more). If you already own a console that "suits [your] basic videogame needs" then don't buy something else and potentially regret it. Like you said, cost is certainly an issue. I agree. Good news: You have the console you want. The end. You don't need to buy Wii U when it's current. That can be the console that you buy "to play some of the big titles [you] missed" which, quite honestly, will likely be only 1st party Nintendo games. You dig?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
Adrock, you're assuming the PS3 is going to be Sony's direct competitor to the Wii U.  I figure the PS3 will be replaced by the PS4 at some point in the next few years.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
The PS3 will be outdated. Right now people are unsure if the WiiU can run Unreal 4 or not. Well, whether it can or can't I think its pretty damn certain the PS3 won't be able to. I'd say about 2 years from now the PS3 will be in the same boat that the Wii is in now. All development will have moved to the next gen systems, and I suspect the PS3 won't have the same extended life that the PS2 has had because the PS3 hasn't reached the same level of dominance and market share.

So the bottom line is you can't stick with the PS3 and ride out the next generation with that without missing out on all the current software. Therefore you have to decide between the WiiU, PS4, and Xbox420. Hopefully all three will share pretty much the same multiplatform support and the only differences will be in the 1st and 2nd party offerings. If that's the case depending on which console you choose you may miss out on things like Halo, Uncharted, Mario, etc. but hopefully at least all the 3rd party games will be there regardless.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »
Adrock, you're assuming the PS3 is going to be Sony's direct competitor to the Wii U.  I figure the PS3 will be replaced by the PS4 at some point in the next few years.
And you're assuming it isn't. It will be when Wii U launches. PS4 is likely at least 2 years away. That's 2 years you don't have to spend any money on new hardware. More importantly, if PS3 had what you needed, then the logical next step is to wait for PS4. That will likely have ALL of the 3rd party games. I don't know why you're even considering Wii U when the Wii was such an utter disappointment to you. For 2 whole years, 99% of games not made by Nintendo or Microsoft will be available to you on PS3. That's the answer to your gaming question. Look no further than the console you already own.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:52:48 PM by Adrock »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
Heh Heh
Bluff = Called

Advantage: Adrock
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: February 28, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »
Of the three current home systems, I have only a Wii and I don't regret it or feel left out. There are certainly some games on the XBox 360 and PS3 which appeal to me, but whenever I try to make a list it always ends up being smaller than I would have thought. I've never come up with enough games that interest me so I've never wanted to pay current-gen pricing for those systems and games. I may get one of them in a few years after successors are out and they get cheap, but even then there still may not be enough for me (plus some of the games I'd want are online games that may not still be functional). Meanwhile I keep finding games on Wii that I like, some have even surprised me, so I see no reason for me to buy another system yet.

There's also the issue of time. I already can't play all the games I buy right away so I have no reason to buy things on release and pay more.

Of course, it isn't like Wii is the only system I own, just the only current home system. I have a 3DS, but not a DS, so that's opened me up to the massive DS library, most of which cost a lot less than current games. I also just got a PS2 since they are dirt cheap now, so there's another huge library for me to scour. Not to mention other old systems like GameCube, SNES, etc. Heck, just last year, I bought a moppin' NES game!

A truly hard-core gamer would *need* all three systems.
This is a sentiment that I agree with. With the amount that some hardcore gamers play, there's simply no way that any one system could satiate them.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
And you're assuming it isn't. It will be when Wii U launches. PS4 is likely at least 2 years away. That's 2 years you don't have to spend any money on new hardware. More importantly, if PS3 had what you needed, then the logical next step is to wait for PS4. That will likely have ALL of the 3rd party games. I don't know why you're even considering Wii U when the Wii was such an utter disappointment to you. For 2 whole years, 99% of games not made by Nintendo or Microsoft will be available to you on PS3. That's the answer to your gaming question. Look no further than the console you already own.

Please don't try to talk Ian Sane out of buying a Wii U. I fear he is on the fence as it is, so don't push him. This is also a Nintendo fansite anyway, so telling someone not to buy a WiiU should probably be against the rules or something.

And in all seriousness, if he stops being a Nintendo customer altogether there might not be any reason for him to stay on this site, so he might leave. Do you want that to happen? I don't.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
If all he's going to do is bitch about how Nintendo isn't doing exactly what he thinks they should and complain about every single thing and never acknowledge anything good, then I don't mind if he leaves. That's not to say you should never be negative around here; I wouldn't mind seeing those kind of people gone either, but if you're just going to harp on the same points over and over again I'm not going to make any kind of effort to prevent you from taking that elsewhere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5613 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
Of the three current home systems, I have only a Wii and I don't regret it or feel left out. There are certainly some games on the XBox 360 and PS3 which appeal to me, but whenever I try to make a list it always ends up being smaller than I would have thought. I've never come up with enough games that interest me so I've never wanted to pay current-gen pricing for those systems and games. I may get one of them in a few years after successors are out and they get cheap, but even then there still may not be enough for me (plus some of the games I'd want are online games that may not still be functional). Meanwhile I keep finding games on Wii that I like, some have even surprised me, so I see no reason for me to buy another system yet.

A truly hard-core gamer would *need* all three systems.
This is a sentiment that I agree with. With the amount that some hardcore gamers play, there's simply no way that any one system could satiate them.

This is exactly how I feel.  You get caught up in a game when it is announced and you want to play the game...but in the end, you eventually drop it...because excitement for another game comes out.  I think it is easy to make this hobby a one system hobby...and therefore make it cheaper.  Just find something to play and enjoy it...and if you miss something let it go.  I haven't had a Wii in 2 years, because I moved to S.Korea.  I go to Wii Rooms here and play whatever games they have when I am missing games, which is a rather small number of games...but I have fun.  Eventually, those games I missed out on, disappear from my mind as new games come out that are more exciting.  Did I miss out on something special, probably but it honestly doesn't matter to me.

Now, the problem I do understand for Nintendo Wii gamers is that this last year people may not have had enough games to play to keep them busy, specially if they choose to play older games to catch up...because old games never take the excitement from new game releases and announcements (at least for me.)  But you know what...Nintendo has still had games come out this year, and third parties...and there were old VC consoles to catch up on, and Wii Ware games...and so I think even in this drought for me...it would not be an issue. 

If or when I get back into gaming, I will only be a one console owner...and still probably only Nintendo, because I still prefer their style and sensibility of games. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »
And in all seriousness, if he stops being a Nintendo customer altogether there might not be any reason for him to stay on this site, so he might leave. Do you want that to happen? I don't.
Wait, is that a trick question? No, I'm just kidding. One doesn't have to stop coming here just because he/she doesn't have the latest Nintendo wares. We talk about games and generally shoot the **** but this isn't about the message board. What I don't get is continually buying Nintendo hardware when one isn't enjoying Nintendo games. That's the only reason one should buy Nintendo hardware. The ONLY one. Generally speaking, Ian hasn't liked the last 5 years worth of Nintendo games. That's a long time to keep eating at a restaurant that he dislikes even if he used to like eating there. More importantly, he has something that provides him with the entertainment he desires. Why mess with a good thing? If money is an issue (and it usually is), why make it a bigger one? He has a PS3; he should enjoy his PS3 for as long as he can. Then, he can get a PS4. If he doesn't agree with the way Nintendo conducts business these days, stop giving them money and give it to someone who gives him what he wants (i.e. Sony). That's the simplest, most straight forward logic there is.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:39:29 PM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
I'm not sure if its necessarily Sony which gives him what he wants either. Its the third parties. Sony and Microsoft have them, and Nintendo doesn't. But with the WiiU that could very well change, and if it does then he could own a WiiU and be perfectly satisfied.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: February 28, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
I don't think I can be any clearer. Why buy a Wii U when for at least the first couple of years all of those 3rd party games will be on the PS3 he already has? Why buy a Wii U when he doesn't like Nintendo games anymore? The choice is pretty simple at this point. Don't buy Nintendo hardware. Buy something else. Why bother waiting to see if the state of 3rd party support will change? Just don't get it. He has a console that has all 3rd party games then he can get its successor which will still have all the 3rd party games. The only reason a person would buy a Wii U knowing that he/she doesn't like Nintendo games is so he/she can complain about it and is that really worth the trouble? Since cost is an issue, it's not worth it. He shouldn't willingly put himself in a position to be disappointed. He knows what he wants. He knows why he wants it. And he knows how to get it. PS3 is his console of choice today. PS4 is his one console of the future then he can get a Wii U when it's super-cheap and rummage through the backlog if he so chooses. The end. Problem solved and 2-3 years ahead of time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:21:46 PM by Adrock »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5617 on: February 28, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
I think to be fair to Ian Sane...he doesn't hate all Nintendo software.  He loves the characters and the games.  He loves the potential of Nintendo and the quality Nintendo brings even when the potential isn't met.  Nintendo is still one of the greatest talents in this business. 

However, Nintendo isn't the only talent or even great talent in this business anymore.  And Ian's complaint about getting crap support for reasons Nintendo could have prevented for more foresight is valid.  Nintendo has made many short sided business decisions that were great for business, but bad for their market...and eventually good business decisions that hurt your market position become bad business decisions. 

Hopefully, Nintendo has seen that, and all indication is that they have and are working towards fixing it.  However, gamers like Ian have a right to feel concerned about the issue, and still want Nintendo to succeed and root for Nintendo.  There is still a reason to get a WiiU if there is a PS3 port of it.  The WiiU controller may give better interface or new gaming options, the WiiU has Nintendo exclusives, the WiiU can allow you to play your games and watch TV, the WiiU will potentially have higher quality graphics. 

And, if the PS4 isn't out for 1 1/2 or 2 years after the WiiU is launched that is long time of higher quality gaming on a Nintendo system than the rival.  Plus, Nintendo may still be bringing better motion controls to the table with the WiiU.

So, I think Ian Sane is quite Sane in his arguments, and position...though I personally disagree. 

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
I think to be fair to Ian Sane...he doesn't hate all Nintendo software.  He loves the characters and the games.  He loves the potential of Nintendo and the quality Nintendo brings even when the potential isn't met.

Mm. Maybe it's just because I don't know the guy well, or because I'm relatively new here, or because I'm just flat-out misunderstanding much of what he says, but that hasn't been my impression. While I admittedly haven't been paying super-close attention, I'm hard pressed to think of many things he's said that support your statement. Judging from some of the reactions here, I'm not alone. Perhaps this perception lies at the heart of the matter?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:50 PM »
idk, Wii U seems to offer what Iansane wants. its got good graphics, they might not ultimately be the best, but you won't be able to tell the difference. Its got a controller with a regular amount of buttons that can be controlled with a joystick, and its got other options as well. I really think around e3 Wii U will get hyped ridiculously. From the sounds of it Nintendo is picking a good dream team this time. The way Epic has been running the game engine business out of xbox and playstation has been dis favorable to Nintendo. CryEngine however has existed in the shadows second banana to unreal in use mainly on the PC, but now they have a chance to throw some big support to Nintendo and create a strong mutually beneficial relationship. The thing that also interests me about Crytek is that Crytek UK, is Free Radicals AKA the Goldeneye team.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Even if Wii U offers Ian what he wants, the PS3 he already owns does too. Wii U is potential, the PS3 he's sitting on is a sure thing. The PS4 will likely continue the trend.

And who said Ian hates all Nintendo software? He's clearly demonstrated on numerous occasions that he's dissatisfied with Nintendo's offerings on the Wii. He's certainly within his right to dislike whatever he wants. That's not the issue. Even considering purchasing a Wii U at this point proves to be completely illogical from his standpoint. If one dislikes Nintendo's games over the past few years, it stands to reason that one will continue to do so. His issue lies in Nintendo's entire philosophy on games these days. We've all heard it countless times from him. "Gimmicks controls are for casual rubes" and other such Ian-isms. Fine. If that's how he feels, so be it. But, there's no reason to beat a dead horse... or, in this case, buy a new horse, beat it to death then continue beating it postmortem THEN complain about having paid for the new horse all while already owning a different horse that does what the new horse was originally purchased for. Wait, where was I?

This doesn't need to be a problem. In fact, it isn't one. Wii U should not be something that Ian is thinking about buying. It'll only lead to disappointment because Nintendo doesn't make the kinds of games that resonates with him anymore. Sad but unfortunately also true. If he buys a Wii U on his own volition, knowing full-well how he feels about Nintendo games, he relinquishes his right to complain about it. He probably would anyway but that's what makes no sense. That's like continually dipping your hand in boiling water. It hurts but you keep doing it. Why? **** if I know. You tell me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:03:59 PM by Adrock »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: February 28, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
I think the way that this thread became about IanSane just shows how much he's become a part of this community, and how significant his views and perspective are in our discussions. What a great derailing of a thread! ^_^

As for me, I've been a one-console gamer most/all of my life (I'm not sure if the PSX I had in the 32/64 bit era counts, I bought practically no games for it. Oh, and I say a DS and PC don't count. &P). Call me optimistic, but I think the Wii U is looking so very viable for a one-console situation again. It looks like it will have some decent compatibility with cross-platform engine tech, and it looks like it will have enough technical power to satisfy someone like me who JUST NOW is getting an HDTV (second-hand even! Wottadeal!). Those are good signs for third party support.

I don't expect the Wii U to be NES/Super NES level of every-game-under-sun, but I definitely hope it will best the N64, GC, and Wii in that department.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5622 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
If one dislikes Nintendo's games over the past few years, it stands to reason that one will continue to do so. His issue lies in Nintendo's entire philosophy on games these days.

I think you're misunderstanding Ian's viewpoints. He doesn't hate Nintendo, its characters, or even all of its games. What he loathes is the gameplay or how Nintendo's games have controlled the past 5 years via the Wii/DS. And I'm completely understanding of his rants and pessimistic forum posts over the last couple of years. However, Nintendo's next console looks to change things up from what was done on the Wii. As it's already been noted, third parties are thrilled with this new console, and everything Spak said previously is true. Ian has every right to be intrigued by Nintendo's next console, and should be allowed to purchase it to please his gaming needs. It'll be a more powerful system with a more interesting control scheme - something the PS3 won't give him.

I kinda sit in the same boat as him anyway - though not as severe in my opinion. I've been really dissatisfied with Nintendo's approach to gaming this past generation. I'm also a PS3 owner, too. But why should I wait for the PS4 to get my "next-gen" gaming fix, when it's about to happen in the second half of this year? No. I love Nintendo and its characters. I want that AND all of the third party offerings in one simply awesome package. Hopefully I'll be getting just that over the course of the next several years, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: February 28, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
I think the way that this thread became about IanSane just shows how much he's become a part of this community, and how significant his views and perspective are in our discussions. What a great derailing of a thread! ^_^

It's true. I even had a conversation about Ian with another forum member in person! And every day I listen to talk radio, I always imagine the guy in the radio ranting and raving about politics is Ian on the other side. I had to PM about his thoughts on Skyward Sword cause I just had to know how he of all people felt about it. He didn't beat it cause he got stuck on a flying portion he doesn't like, but he more or less said the controls are good! With that and Yoshi's tongue Ian is set! If he likes it, who doesn't?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: February 28, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »
I think you're misunderstanding Ian's viewpoints. He doesn't hate Nintendo, its characters, or even all of its games.
/facepalm

I never claimed he did. However, he wants Nintendo to makes games a certain way and they just aren't doing it that. He isn't getting what he wants from them. So, no, I'm not misunderstanding his viewpoints.
But why should I wait for the PS4 to get my "next-gen" gaming fix, when it's about to happen in the second half of this year?
Well, you can do whatever you want. However, Ian specifically cited cost as an issue. Almost every 3rd party game coming out on Wii U is also coming out on PS3. If cost is an issue, why pay $300+ for a new console to play games that are also available on a console that is already sitting under the TV?