Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167637 times)

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4275 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
Please. Anyone can go rent a room in a coffee shop or hotel with a projector and throw a home made power point presentation on it. Its a project that someone put a lot of time into, that's for certain.

This is exactly what went through my mind while watching that video.  Sure, a lot of effort did go into this,  but anyone with a little time on their hands could have made this.

Bah.  All this hoax BS is rather stimulating.  June 7th can't come soon enough. :c

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
Please. Anyone can go rent a room in a coffee shop or hotel with a projector and throw a home made power point presentation on it. Its a project that someone put a lot of time into, that's for certain.

This is exactly what went through my mind while watching that video.  Sure, a lot of effort did go into this,  but anyone with a little time on their hands could have made this.

Bah.  All this hoax BS is rather stimulating.  June 7th can't come soon enough. :c
That be the big take away from this is that people are excited enough to Hoax it which says good things about the interest factor.  Though having a simulated case prototype right now especially if manafacturing would be this year wouldn't be unheard of.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: May 18, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
I put this post together over @ NeoGAF to prove how fake the video is according to their own measurements.

Quote from: BlackNMild2k1
The sizing is way off

that's just a quick paint edit though

this is to scale

This is how large the analog sticks should be to a 6" screen

This is a very rough approximation as to what theirs looks like on the same 6" screen

As you can see the measurements are WAAAAAY off as the analog sticks are 4x the size they should be if that is a 6" screen.

It's nice that someone would go through that much trouble for a fake, but they could have put in a little more effort to make sure it couldn't be debunked so easily by just double checking the measurements.

p.s. The console in the pics looks to be the exact same size and shape as a MS Win7 box.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
So Newegg was selling a 4850 1GB DDR3 graphics card for essentially $40 ($110 regular with $40 instant rebate and $30 MIR).  This tells me this tech is now super cheap.  So it's sounding like IGN is probably spot on for the graphics power in the Cafe.

I'm getting more excited now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: May 18, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
But we want the DDR5 version. How much is that selling for?

edit: apparently the 4850 w/ GDDR5 would technically be the 4870

we can already assume that Nintendo will tweak the GPU to use much faster RAM than GDDR3, so realistically, I think we can assume we would actually be getting a "4870" as a base GPU.

So how much is a 4870 selling for?

edit 2:
After looking at prices for a 4870 (which is just a 4850 with GDDR5), I can see why Nintendo would base it off just a bare 4850 instead and use their own and likely much faster RAM.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:12:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: May 18, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
I wonder if they'll stick with their 1T-SRAM that they've used the last two generations.  I know the Wii had some of that and some DDR2 as well.  I'm wondering if GDDR5 Ram is faster than current 1T-SRAM or not.

Actually, a 4850 isn't a 4870 with GDDR3 RAM.  It does have higher clock speeds and higher memory speeds as well.  Using the 4850 architecture and tweaking it to fit Nintendo's needs would probably make it act closer to a 4870 though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
I said technically in my previous post, but I really meant practically. It's basically the same difference either way.

a 4850 with GDDR5 is practically a 4870

all a 4870 is from what I have read is a 4850 overclocked with much faster RAM, like you said.

Nintendo could reasonably be using a 4850 to create their own custom 4870 for probably much cheaper too.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
Possibly.  I'm afraid Nintendo will not release any specs like they didn't with the Wii and the 3DS.  It was all other sources who put out what was in the 3DS and my guess is we'll not know what's in the Cafe until much closer to release.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: May 19, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »
Who's to say that the analogue sticks are not to scale? Perhaps Nintendo wants each controller to have two arcade sticks, for those great arcade ports, and buttons large enough to step on, so we can play DDR out of the box.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: May 19, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
Check out this cool page about the Wii 2:

http://www.1up.com/features/dream-nintendo-stream
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4285 on: May 19, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
Blah, blah, screen size, blah, analogue sticks.

That's what I meant by "a six inch screen is asinine." If the controllers had a screen that big with an analogue stick and four face buttons, the with at the top of the controller would have to be 8-10 inches. The with of the screen is over 5, plus you have to factor in the spacing for the important ****. That's too damn big for a controller. The 360 controller is small, light and comfortable. Good for hours of gaming. Nothing that size would be conducive to extended gaming sessions.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: May 19, 2011, 10:58:52 PM »
What if the screen and controller where seperate?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: May 20, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
What if the screen and controller where seperate?

I've wondered this as well. A tablet and a new Wiimote.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »
Develop Online chimes in with confirmations from their own source
http://www.develop-online.net/news/37732/Develop-Source-Wii-2-pad-adds-camera-system
The controller for Nintendo’s new home console includes a front-facing camera system, a person close to the matter has told Develop.

The source also confirmed some, though not all, of the controller details that are already in circulation.

The new Nintendo console – widely dubbed the ‘Wii 2’ – will officially be unveiled at E3 in June, Nintendo said.

Its controller has for weeks been at the centre of intense speculation, and Develop understands Nintendo is not showing the tech to all development partners in a bid to curb leaks.

An insider said the Wii 2 pad features a front-facing camera that can be used for in-game images. The person also corroborated a number of well-referenced rumours, such as the controller features a six-inch touch-screen, “possibly with a stylus”, as well as a standard button layout.
Develop could not obtain details of the Wii 2’s hardware specifications.

Nothing new from them, but there is an interesting comment from their source afterwards
Develop’s source elsewhere speculated – but was not claiming to know – that Nintendo’s 3DS handheld could act as a replacement controller.

The functions are the same,” the source said. “It is a standard wireless controller added with a front-facing camera and touch screen. That sounds far too much like a 3DS to me. But I can’t confirm this, Nintendo is being very cautious about the details.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:31:38 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: May 20, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »
That's one way to sell 3DS's. Make it the official controller of Wii 2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: May 20, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
Using the 3DS as an alternate 2nd, 3rd & 4th controller (for those that have their own already) would be great, except for the little overlooked "fact" that the Café controller is supposed to use Dual Analog and Nintendo didn't see it necessary to put that on the 3DS.

It could still work, obviously, epsecially if it was planned for ahead of time, and it's better than not having a 2nd, 3rd or 4th player because you didn't want to by more dedicated controllers, but it's still a minor inconvenience.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
The 3DS could be used for certain games as an extra controller if it was programmed into the game.  It most likely won't be a required feature.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
Is it still too early to discuss how we will be able to move or Virtual Cosnoe games from the Wii to the Super Wii? If not, I am assuming that Nintendo might modify the Club Nintendo account to carry over to the new system, but what if some one has never used the Club Nintendo to register their games? What I am assuming is some kind of transfer via the USB cables of the two devices similar to the Xbox 360.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
The 3DS could be used for certain games as an extra controller if it was programmed into the game.  It most likely won't be a required feature.
Batman the Brave and the Bold Cafe :D
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: May 20, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »
Can we get another countdown reminder?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: May 20, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
Nintendo E3 Conference Countdown

edit: I also added it to my sig so you don't have to look for it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:17:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: May 20, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
That's one way to sell 3DS's. Make it the official controller of Wii 2.

$250 controllers for a $350 console? Ugh.

I guess on the bright side the Mario party franchise is canceled because there's no way 4 player local multiplayer could be afforded.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:28:41 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
Just a heads up. Nintendo stock just dipped below 30, making it the cheapest its been since before the Wii was announced. I just doubled down on it hoping that whatever they announce will bump it into the high 30's (where it usually resides). Unless what they announce is a flop, simply announcing games for the 3DS is sure to raise it back past 30. Get on it while its (not) hot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:56:29 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: May 20, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
A good idea that I have for using the 3DS as a Cafe controller is for a game such as Call of Duty. Imagine using the 3DS to pilot a UAV and the augmented reality feature of the 3DS could be used could be used a Point of View for the very same UAV. The main CoD could then down load a feature onto the 3DS that allows Spotpassed reconnaisance for the very same game. How many people you spotpass(ed) determines how many enemies/targets are on the screen at one time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: May 20, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
Nintendo E3 Conference Countdown

edit: I also added it to my sig so you don't have to look for it.

I'm going to make another series of threads for these press conferences again once we get closer to them.  That was pretty fun last year having that on-the-fly commentary in recorded form.  Hopefully, things are much more civil this time.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.