Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168295 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4125 on: May 06, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
I'm guessing Cafe will still have a head start anyway. We don't know precisely when it will launch, but many signs are pointing to early in 2nd quarter of 2012, whereas the recent link BnM posting suggests the Xbox420 is coming out in late 2012. So Cafe probably will have some head start, but instead of years its only going to be months.

Cafe may get overtaken by the Xbox420 with the hardcore crowd, but Nintendo will probably keep the casual market, so even in a worst case scenario its not going to be like the Dreamcast which led to the demise of Sega. Nintendo has so much money that they could survive several consecutive Dreamcast style failures, but having that money might save them anyway. Sega back in 2000 or so didn't have a lot of money, which meant they had little available to market the system or fund game development. So personally I see that happening to Nintendo to be very unlikely. Nintendo today probably has as many billion of dollars available to it as Sega had in millions of dollars 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:58:32 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: May 06, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »
If they call it Xbox 420, I will forgive Microsoft for Windows 98.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: May 06, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
Cafe may get overtaken by the Xbox420 with the hardcore crowd, but Nintendo will probably keep the casual market, so even in a worst case scenario its not going to be like the Dreamcast which led to the demise of Sega.

Yeah, there is no way Nintendo is going to go broke like Sega.  I'm just making the Dreamcast comparison in the sense of one console being ignored in favour of an upcoming one.

I can't decide what would be cooler: if MS called it the Xbox 420 on purpose in a ballsy "look how cool we are" way or if they did so as total squares, oblivious to the slang meaning of the number.  Both of those would be enjoyable and hilarious.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
They named their current console Xbox360 instead of Xbox2 so that they could skip a number and seem like they are up to par with the PS3. That said, even though the next console is going to be the third Xbox there's no way they can call it Xbox3 and calling Xbox720 would just have people scratching their heads and wondering what happened to Xboxes 4, 5, and 6. 720 also doesn't really mean anything or have much significance as a number. It is 360 times 2, but that doesn't really mean anything that people immediately grasp.

420 works because it implies this is the 4th Xbox (even though it isn't really), and makes it seem like its in the same league as the inevitable PS4. 420 is a number that also has some meaning among certain circles and will make it seem more cool with that crowd, while at the same time it will completely go over the heads of those who don't know. Many hardcore gamers will recognize and understand the meaning.

But just in case MS wants to be politically correct, they could call it Xbox4D to somehow imply it is capable of eye popping 4D graphics that are somehow superior to 3D, even though that's impossible.

ETA: Assuming their next console has integrated Kinect support the Xbox4D would be a very marketable name for it, because they could say that it adds another dimension to gaming that actually goes beyond the TV screen and swallows up the player and their living room into that gaming world which players can interact in via the Kinect thing.

I seriously doubt MS invested all that money into Kinect just to have it be a one shot peripheral for a console late in its life. I would bet money its going to be in the next console as well and probably integrated directly into it somehow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:49:24 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: May 06, 2011, 04:52:52 PM »
You explaining that took away any and all funny.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: May 06, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
There's no way they'd call it Xbox 420, since 4/20 is also Hitler's birthday. That's not really good press.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: May 06, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
There's no way they'd call it Xbox 420, since 4/20 is also Hitler's birthday. That's not really good press.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4132 on: May 06, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
If they call it the 420, the Doritos tie-in is RIGHT THERE. They'd be crazy not to do it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: May 06, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Well people always say the same about the Wii.  "Why should they release a new system when the Wii is the most successful console in the universe?"  Eventually you have to move up.  Though I think this would be premature it does make a little more sense than if Sony did it.
The Wii's sales have been dropping due to market saturation and they get no support. 360 is enjoying great sales and has the best support out of the 3. The technology on the Wii is a decade old too. It makes more sense for Nintendo introduce a new console.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: May 09, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »
Upcoming Retailer Meetings could lead to some pre-E3 announcement leaks:
probably nothing Cafe related, but 3DS & Wii related stuff should be a lock.... hopefully.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/10/retail_meetings/
A retailer has revealed a schedule of upcoming retail meetings for some major game companies.

Here's the schedule:

5/11: Sony Computer Entertainment
5/12: Nintendo
5/13: Microsoft
5/13: Sega
These meetings, especially in the case of Nintendo, are accompanied by major announcements, or at the very least leaks from attending retailers, so keep a ear open over the coming days.

The retailer that revealed this is Games Maya. In addition to having an adorable puppy as its top image, which in my book instantly makes your blog credible (even if the puppy is clothed, which puppies really don't like), Games Maya is a hot spot for official retail demo events even though it's in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe we'll hear about Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower & Skyward Sword for Wii
and maybe a new bundle or something to spark interest in 3DS beyond Street Pass and SSFIV3D.

edit: it seems that it is a Japanese Retailer Meeting, so maybe all those Wii games won't be mentioned, but hopefully something juicy comes out of it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:49:21 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Zumba Fitness 2 for Project Cafe?
« Reply #4135 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
Another Wii 2 game announced?
Zumba Fitness from Majesco...
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Majesco-Entertainment-Expands-Its-1-Selling-Zumba-Fitness-Video-Game-Franchise-With-NASDAQ-COOL-1512502.htm
Developed by Zoe Mode, Zumba®Fitness 2 will launch on Wii™ this holiday season and another to-be-announced platform in early 2012.

Early 2012!? I will guess that means 1st Half as in after April but before end of June 2012 to go with the rumors and the comment that Iwata himself said.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #4136 on: May 10, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Looks legit, BNM!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
BnM you should be rumor guru of NWR. Move aside Louie the Cat!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4138 on: May 10, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
If he'd write these things up as actual articles, I'd post them.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4139 on: May 10, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
Sounds like a job offer.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: May 10, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
Sounds like a job offer.

Once you go Staff.  You never come back.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
BnM's shunned job calls in the past. Unless that changes, call it a contributor opportunity.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
If he'd write these things up as actual articles, I'd post them.
I'll take that into consideration

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
Pay him double James Jones' salary.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: May 10, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »
Here's a little inside information: there is actually no such person as James Jones. That's just a pseudonym we on the staff use when we want to fawn over an RPG or totally rip into something awful, so that it doesn't reflect badly on our actual personalities.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
I cant' believe it. You guys actually heeded our advice and acknowledged BnM's amazing sleuthing skills.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »
The staff acknowledges his abilities. Neal excitedly brags in the staff email threads when we get something on the site before BnM posts it on the forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
Pay him double James Jones' salary.
The bill is in the mail.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
The 360 seems to be getting Papal as a new payment method along with a new disc format and a Kinect chatroom. Could similar features be added to the Super Wii? It seems to me that adding Paypal to the eShop would be a quick and easy method to aquire games.

http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-36-spring-update-adds-paypal-new-disc-format-support

Microsoft buys Skype for 8.5 billion for Xbox Live and Kinect communication and the PSP will not lose Skyoe support. I always thought that Skype integration would be good for Nintendo's Super Wii and 3DS fr online communication.

http://www.1up.com/news/microsoft-buys-skype-xbox-live-support-promised

I am trying to out sleuth BnM. ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
The 360 seems to be getting Papal as a new payment method along with a new disc format and a Kinect chatroom. Could similar features be added to the Super Wii? It seems to me that adding Paypal to the eShop would be a quick and easy method to aquire games.

http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-36-spring-update-adds-paypal-new-disc-format-support

Microsoft buys Skype for 8.5 billion for Xbox Live and Kinect communication and the PSP will not lose Skyoe support. I always thought that Skype integration would be good for Nintendo's Super Wii and 3DS fr online communication.

http://www.1up.com/news/microsoft-buys-skype-xbox-live-support-promised

I am trying to out sleuth BnM. ;)
Payment vy the Pope? :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.