Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167495 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3125 on: January 08, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »
Apparently the Wii is so successful that it has its own book:

http://www.infendo.com/new-book-about-nintendo-calls-wii-greatest-comeback-in-video-games/
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: January 08, 2011, 02:18:58 AM »
He was in fact a living person

Actually, there's no proof of that.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: January 08, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Talking about the name Jesus in general is not a religious discussion.  Doing what Stratos did and referring to Jesus of Nazareth (unless there is another famous Jesus) as dead goes directly at the religion that is based around him.

Oh, wow, I didn't even realize the way I phrased it was a jab at the religion. LOL. Or were you meaning to refer to Brandogg? (Or both of us perhaps?)

He was in fact a living person

Actually, there's no proof of that.

I'm sure there were plenty of them at the time. Considering someone was prophesied in their ancient texts to come and save them by that name I'll bet every woman wanted to name their child that in hopes their son was 'The One'.

--Oh, wait, this is the rumor thread. We were so derailed I forgot. I'll help get us back on track!

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS ANNOUNCE SUPPORT FOR ULTRAVIOLET™ FORMAT [/color]AND[/b][/color] ENDORSE CONSUMERS’ RIGHT TO INTEROPERABILITY [/b]
[/color] [/b]
[/color]Lionsgate Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment,
 Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. to Offer UltraViolet Content in 2011
[/color] LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2011 – Six of Hollywood’s largest studios including Lionsgate Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. today announced their support for the UltraViolet service and format created by the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE).  Complementing the physical DVD and Blu-ray home entertainment markets, studios will begin offering UltraViolet content this year through digital online retailers and digital rights that come with packaged media, giving consumers the ability to watch digital entertainment across multiple platforms such as connected TVs, PCs, game consoles and smartphones.  Through UltraViolet, consumers now have greater choice and freedom to purchase, manage and watch digital movies, TV shows and other entertainment. The UltraViolet experience is powered by a cloud-based UltraViolet Account, which includes a Digital Rights Locker and account management functionality. Consumers can create an UltraViolet account, free of charge, via one of the many participating UltraViolet service providers or through the UltraViolet website. Once created, this account will allow consumers to easily access and manage all of their UltraViolet entertainment, regardless of where it was purchased.
  Consumers will also be able to register up to 12 devices so UltraViolet content can be easily downloaded or shared between them.  In addition, UltraViolet streaming access will enable consumers to enjoy their collections via set-top boxes and the Internet including computers, Internet-connected home video devices such as Blu-ray players and Internet TVs, and mobile apps for smartphones and tablets.  The UltraViolet Account will also enable retailers to provide consumers with a copy to use on DVD players or other physical media such as portable flash memory. 
  "These six major Hollywood studios were a driving force in creating UltraViolet, and their plans to make films and television shows available through the UltraViolet ecosystem cements a milestone union among the content, technology and retail services industries,"  said Mark Teitell, General Manager of the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE).  "In 2011, UltraViolet will substantially raise the bar on the electronic home entertainment experiences in-market today." UltraViolet titles will be announced by individual studios as they become available and will feature the distinct UltraViolet logo, making it easy for consumers to identify entertainment products and services designed to work together seamlessly.

So I gotta wonder what devices will be included. 360 and PS3 are a given. Maybe Wii 2 and 3DS? (Bolding my own doing)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:54:04 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: January 08, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »
man post a link
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: January 08, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
Its an email I got, not a link. I'm working on an article about the matter and how it could impact gaming.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: January 08, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Does this have anything to do with those new DRM'd Intel chips?
I know Hollywood and Digital Rights were a big part of that happening. Is this the reason why?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3131 on: January 09, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »
Take it for what it's worth, but apparently at CES a Wii/DS accesory maker was overheard talking about a new Pokemon game for Wii that is supposed to be like a combination of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokemon Battle Revolution. http://www.gamingupdate.com/news/635/New-Wii-Pokemon-Game-in-the-Works
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Take it for what it's worth, but apparently at CES a Wii/DS accesory maker was overheard talking about a new Pokemon game for Wii that is supposed to be like a combination of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokemon Battle Revolution. http://www.gamingupdate.com/news/635/New-Wii-Pokemon-Game-in-the-Works

Now this thread is getting back on track. Could Nintendo really be moving towards that real console Pokemon MMO/RPG that people have been asking for for ages now?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3133 on: January 09, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
I hope so, I bet a console version of the mainline Pokemon games would be a huge seller. I think it's safe to say that they won't do a MMORPG on Wii, but I hope they will do so for Wii 2 (or whatever the next system is called). They could even just have it be like the current game basically, where you go around trying to win badges while capturing wild Pokemon and battling other human trainers. They could even have it where veteran players could be promoted to gym leaders and then elite 4.

As for this specific game, I hope that is true. PBR was OK, but it was very bare bones and it was practically useless if you didn't also have Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: January 09, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Yahoo I totally buy in to this rumor! It would be such a Nintendo thing to do to leave the Wii with a Pokemon game like this. For one it will have a story line, and be just like gale of darkness, hopefully faster and better animated, and 2 it will have the Colosseum mode where hard core people learn all the zany tricks. This is not what every one wants so that's why this seems so spot on to me. Along with Black and White being this generations last bit of pokemon I can see this as the pokemon console swan song.

I honestly don't want a MMO RPG, just a very nice user friendly way to see people playing pokemon and attempt to join them in battles.

Does anyone remember the first japanese trailer of Battle Revolution? The graphics looked so nice and all the environmental affects were pretty cool. Game comes out and many of the pokemon look worse than N64, WHY IS THAT?!?!!?!?!?! Along with the majority of attacking animations and general animations looking so lame it was a major disappointment. I remember reading how the developers wanted to make the battles look as interesting as possible. The camera moves, they kind of make contact now, but still if they just didn't sit there like that it would be great. I know there are near 600 now, but if each one could have like 3 animated routines each instead of one that would be a nice step in the right direction.  Not only that the battle sequences are waaaay too slow, speed up a pokemon using his attack and move on, thats what makes 3D battles somehow even more boring to watch then the 2D gameboy battles.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3135 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »

Now this thread is getting back on track. Could Nintendo really be moving towards that real console Pokemon MMO/RPG that people have been asking for for ages now?

Ahahaha no. An MMO on the Wii is bad enough, but the developers have admitted that they prefer local meetups for their communication.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 09, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
I'd be all for a Pokémon RPG on the Wii if it were self-contained, but I'm sure you'll have to connect to Black and White to get the most out of it, and there will probably be two or three versions of it as well. It just isn't going to happen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 10, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »

Ahahaha no. An MMO on the Wii is bad enough, but the developers have admitted that they prefer local meetups for their communication.

I didn't say or imply that the Wii game will be an MMO, I"m simply saying that Nintendo is making more of an actual Pokemon RPG on the console and not just a battle arena hub(as I understand the console games to be), which would be more of a step towards getting that REAL Pokemon RPG/MMO in the future. Nintendo is taking baby steps with Pokemon everything, so it's good to see them moving forward especially with Pokemon on the consoles since I've heard they aren't much as far as games go.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
MMO is like a step ahead.  I just wanted a real Pokemon RPG with all the bells and whistles of the portable games on a console.  I wanted that on the N64!  Doesn't that sound like a million years ago?  MMO, to me, was like the next step.  On the N64 no one was calling for that because consoles at the time couldn't handle such a concept.  Nintendo is so damn behind on this that what we're asking for has changed significantly.

I have no interest in an MMO from Nintendo because I do not trust Nintendo to do one right.  These are the friend codes guys.  You think they'll make a game where kids can interact with adult strangers online?  It isn't going to happen, at least not in any way we would like.

So I'm fine with just the console RPG since that is all I wanted to start with.  But it almost seems like its too late.  The time to release that was either on the N64 or early into the Gamecube's life.  I don't think I would find it as exciting now.  Hell, Nintendo would throw some waggle in it these days and they would half-ass the graphics.  There are so many Pokemon now.  Would they put all of them in?  Back in like 2002 or so you could have expected that but now I doubt they would go to the trouble.

Of course the whole issue is that this has always been the most obvious can't-miss idea around and Nintendo has pissed it away for years.  They TECHNICALLY gave us an RPG on the Cube but they royally fucked it up.  If they couldn't get it right by now why would you assume they ever will?  If they truly cared they would have done it right years ago.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
It could totally happen. But the game will never come to North America because NOA has an 'American Family Friendly Image' to uphold. :P
My Game Collection

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 10, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
What about Jesus from the Big Lebowski? Can we trademark that? What about Bob?
Those sound perfect to me. :)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »
Pokemon RPG rumor yet again?

*Rolleyes* I'll believe it when I see it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: January 12, 2011, 03:54:32 AM »
Pokemon RPG rumor yet again?

*Rolleyes* I'll believe it when I see it.

you mean pokémon mmo?

pokémon is already an rpg

ill believe it when i see it as well
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
Like the rest of you, I'll believe in the existence of a fleshed-out Pokemon console RPG when I see it.  That would actually require Nintendo to put in actual effort, instead of just regurgitating sprites; sound effects; and animations they've been using for years.  Hell, they might actually have to update the gameplay as well, and all that's just not how the Pokemon franchise works.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: February 26, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
Wii 2 on the horizon? Could it be announced sometime this year?

That's what THQ seems to imply in a recent investor conference according to CVG
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289446/wii-2-thq-nods-to-possible-nintendo-announcement/
Quote from: Brian Farrell - THQ Boss
"We don't expect new hardware any time soon from either Microsoft or Sony. It's difficult on Nintendo - we'll let them announce their new hardware."

So, Wii 2 announced at the end of this year (Sept./Oct. just before/after TGS) for launch early 2012 (in similar fashion to 3DS this year)? An E3 unveiling with a Holiday 2011 release? or just more talk being read into just a little bit too much?

Discuss.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3145 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
I think CVG is jumping the gun. To me, the comment just means that Farrell has no idea if Nintendo will announced a new system anytime soon. The Wii is still selling really well, so I think a release any earlier than Fall 2012 at the earliest is not at all likely.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: February 27, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
All depends on how ready they are for a launch and how well Kinect does in the longer run.
My Game Collection

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: February 27, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
I've actually been thinking about this lately.  It would appear that we're entering a title drought, and unless new titles are announced at E3, it can be assumed that Nintendo's working on next-gen titles.  The same thing was observed over the last year for the DS.

Still, I wouldn't expect a new console this year.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3148 on: February 27, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »
The same dry spell happened last year for the Wii, then they announced a bunch of games at E3 (like Kirby and DKCR). This has become standard for Nintendo.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
The same dry spell happened last year for the Wii, then they announced a bunch of games at E3 (like Kirby and DKCR). This has become standard for Nintendo.
Don't forget there were some pretty big titles released midway through the year, in Galaxy 2 and OtherM.

Frankly, a lot of teams who released stuff last year won't reasonably be able to have stuff ready, even by the holiday season this year.  They've got to be working on something right now, but won't be ready until 2012 at the earliest.

That's not to say we won't get any holiday title announcements at E3, it's just a question of which teams could be ready.