Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168202 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2950 on: October 09, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
Same thing. In fact, I bet a port of Dolphin (GameCube/Wii emulator, open source) for PS3 won't be *too* far off, especially now that Move has been released.

What I meant was would this chip help improve software emulation on the Wii 2 in the form of Virtual Console? Would help eleviate any stress that the current Wii might be suffering dues to emulation.

This also adds credens to my theory that the Wii 2 will put Gamecube BC onto the Virtual Console, but I am not sure about the Wii. The Wii 2 will most likely play Wii game discs, but emulate everything else. However, this does not make sense because if the console can read Wii discs then it should be able to do the same with Gamecube, right?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 09, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »
If the (hypothetical) Wii2 PowerCell chip can perfectly emulate the Wii/GC 100%, then what do you think it will be able to do for an N64, Sega Genesis, etc etc. if the Wii is powerful enough to emulate those systems now?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 09, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
If the (hypothetical) Wii2 PowerCell chip can perfectly emulate the Wii/GC 100%, then what do you think it will be able to do for an N64, Sega Genesis, etc etc. if the Wii is powerful enough to emulate those systems now?

Could console such as the Dreamcast and modified Saturn games be emulated with this chip?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "modified Saturn games," but my 5+ year old PC (it has an Athlon X2 6000+, but it had a 4200+ in it a while back) with a shitty video card can play anything on NullDC (Dreamcast emulator) at full speed. Saturn is a little bit different because it didn't have a GPU, it had 2 CPUs, so it's pretty taxing. When you have the official docs, and people getting paid to code the emulators though, you can have much better results.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: October 09, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "modified Saturn games," but my 5+ year old PC (it has an Athlon X2 6000+, but it had a 4200+ in it a while back) with a shitty video card can play anything on NullDC (Dreamcast emulator) at full speed. Saturn is a little bit different because it didn't have a GPU, it had 2 CPUs, so it's pretty taxing. When you have the official docs, and people getting paid to code the emulators though, you can have much better results.

What I meant by "modified Saturn games" is that Radiant Silvergun port to XBLA. I understand the problems with Saturn emulation, but they must have modified that game to run on XBLA. I abologize for not being explicit because it has been a long day for me today.  ;D

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
It would probably be more economical to just remake/port old Saturn games to current hardware than to find a way to emulate them. Sega pretty much washed their hands of the Saturn hardware, so documentation about it these days doesn't really exist. Even if it did, it was an incredibly complicated system in its own time, and that was one of the main reasons for its demise.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 10, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »
It would probably be more economical to just remake/port old Saturn games to current hardware than to find a way to emulate them. Sega pretty much washed their hands of the Saturn hardware, so documentation about it these days doesn't really exist. Even if it did, it was an incredibly complicated system in its own time, and that was one of the main reasons for its demise.

This is the last time that I mention Saturn emulation for a while, so here is my idea on how it could be done. Let's assume, hypothetically, that the Wii 2 can emulate the Gamecube, but can also read its discs along with those of the Wii. All SEGA woul dhave to do is convert the code of Saturn games into Gamecube in a similar way they did with Ikaruga for the Gamecube. Of course they would not have to spend the money on discs and all they would have to do is slap a Saturn logo onto the VC service.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 10, 2010, 01:20:33 AM »
this conversation again....

generally on Dreamcast there is a better sequel to every Saturn game. 
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: October 10, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »

This is the last time that I mention Saturn emulation for a while, so here is my idea on how it could be done. Let's assume, hypothetically, that the Wii 2 can emulate the Gamecube, but can also read its discs along with those of the Wii. All SEGA woul dhave to do is convert the code of Saturn games into Gamecube in a similar way they did with Ikaruga for the Gamecube. Of course they would not have to spend the money on discs and all they would have to do is slap a Saturn logo onto the VC service.

Ugh. If you're going to remake an old game for the Wii2 then remake it for the Wii2. Don't remake it as a GC game. If its going to be remade it might as well take advantage of the superior graphics, motion controls, etc.

generally on Dreamcast there is a better sequel to every Saturn game. 

What he said.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:28:47 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »

That's called porting...and that was done by Treasure, not SEGA. It would have to be the developer that does something like that, not the hardware manufacturer, they don't have the source code for the game, and it would be illegal.

Anyway, Saturn emulation is more than possible, and like I said, people getting paid to do it that have access to the needed resources could make it happen. There was a leaked Saturn emulator for the PC (GiriGiri it was renamed) that worked quite nicely. There was a leaked DS emulator (before the DS was even released, I believe) too, called EnSata.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: October 10, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
I just want to be to have easy access to all the rare(no pun intended :P: ) that are the Saturn without having to shell out large amounts of cash. As for the ports to Gamecube, what I meant was that it might be easier for the Wii 2 to emulate the Gamecube version of Ikaruga then the Saturn, right? Just port the games to work in a GC and then emulate the code. But I have said enough about this topic.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 10, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
The main problem is that this thread has been completely derailed. The only "rumor" that I've seen here in a long time is the Cell processor stuff.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 10, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
The main problem is that this thread has been completely derailed. The only "rumor" that I've seen here in a long time is the Cell processor stuff.

The way it should be is that a rumor is mentioned on this thread and then everyone is allowed to comment on how that rumor relates to the game industry.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 10, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »

The way it should be is that a rumor is mentioned on this thread and then everyone is allowed to comment on how that rumor relates to the game industry.

Alright, well following that rule how does Saturn emulation have anything at all to do with the rumor of a Cell processor?
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2964 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
Through Kytim89's obsession with Saturn emulation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 10, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
for those that were wondering what Nintendo's next system could use for storage next gen;
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Chinese-HD-NVD-Blu-ray-Killer-Wannabe-Format-Launched-1069-01.html

same assembly line as DVD but hold 12GB on a single layer.

or something like this;
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/25/red-blows-away-small-room-of-videophiles-with-4k-red-ray-footage/

I don't know too many details other than extremely impressive compression on what appears to be the same red ray disc as above.
Major processor required though (can anyone say PowerCell?).

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 10, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
for those that were wondering what Nintendo's next system could use for storage next gen;
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Chinese-HD-NVD-Blu-ray-Killer-Wannabe-Format-Launched-1069-01.html

same assembly line as DVD but hold 12GB on a single layer.

or something like this;
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/25/red-blows-away-small-room-of-videophiles-with-4k-red-ray-footage/

I don't know too many details other than extremely impressive compression on what appears to be the same red ray disc as above.
Major processor required though (can anyone say PowerCell?).

How much of a graphical boost would this give the Wii 2 compared to its competitors?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
it's a storage format that is capable of much greater than current HD compression for video.

the storage format seems to be about 12GB per layer and a helluva lot cheaper than Bluray to manufacture since it only requires a small modification to current DVD assembly lines.

Any graphical boost would come from the GPU/CPU combo combines with bandwidth and RAM, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 10, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
Compression is compression, the format of the disc shouldn't make a difference as to how "good" the compression can be, but it's newer technology (mostly), so it could have "better" compression due to the hardware used to decode it. Like, you wouldn't be able to use the same technique on a Blu Ray disc (which aren't compressed anyway) since there are already a **** ton of Blu Ray players out there that wouldn't be compatible.

Anyway, I'd give this a "maybe" - it's definitely more plausible than HD DVD (which is never, ever, going to happen), but my gut still says Blu Ray for the Wii 2.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »
Compression is compression, the format of the disc shouldn't make a difference as to how "good" the compression can be, but it's newer technology (mostly), so it could have "better" compression due to the hardware used to decode it. Like, you wouldn't be able to use the same technique on a Blu Ray disc (which aren't compressed anyway) since there are already a **** ton of Blu Ray players out there that wouldn't be compatible.

Anyway, I'd give this a "maybe" - it's definitely more plausible than HD DVD (which is never, ever, going to happen), but my gut still says Blu Ray for the Wii 2.

I apologize for flogging a dead horse yet again, but Nintendo will adopt HD-DVD long before Blu Ray because blu ray is a competitors format and in some cases it might be a little too advanced for Nintendo. Nintendo might try to tinker basic DVD to suit their needs for the next system.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: October 11, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »
Xbox 360 uses DVDs, does that mean that Nintendo is using a competitor's format? Like I said before, Sony Corporation (who Nintendo *is not* in competition with) is part of the Blu Ray Association - Sony Computer Entertainment of America (or Europe or Japan - who Nintendo *is* in competition with) is not. Sony was also one of the companies that brought us the DVD and the CD.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 11, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
Well, I think we can all agree that any format Nintendo uses will probably be adequate for the job. Even if they continue using their modified DVD format, that would be enough to get the job done. Is 9gb of storage per disc ideal? Perhaps not, but if spreading a game over multiple discs must be done with some titles then it can be done and it won't be the end of the world.

The thing I'm more concerned about is the price of the games. Is Nintendo going to continue their policy of keeping the MSRP of their games at the traditional $49.99? As it stands they are the only console manufacturer that still does that, with Sony and Microsoft bumping their MSRP up to $59.99. DVDs are cheaper to manufacture than Blu-ray is, so if the cost of switching to Blu-ray means higher costs passed on to consumers then I'd rather they continue to stick with DVD, even if it means the occasional multi-disc title.

And of course, it doesn't have to do with just the media itself either. There's the additional cost of the drives that would have to be installed in the console. One of the reasons (not the only reason mind you, but certainly one of the main reasons) why the PS3 had to cost $600 at launch was because of the inclusion of Blu-ray drives. Sure, the cost of integrating those drives went down over time, but even to this day it has to cost a good chunk more to manufacture a Blu-ray drive than it does to manufacture a DVD drive, especially with the different and more expensive lasers involved.

Everyone so far seems to be arguing about the storage capacities. I just thought I'd put out there that there is also the issue of increased cost, and is that something we are willing to accept for the sake of greater storage? Look, DVDs can have as much storage as you want, its just that you might have to spread it over multiple discs to do it. But with DVDs being only a few cents to produce that's not a problem, right? You can probably produce like 10 DVDs for the cost of just 1 Blu-ray disc.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 11, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »
I just want to see Blu Ray die as a format to something simple like NVD. Though at this rate it may be too late to get into the game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 11, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
Even if they continue using their modified DVD format...
Standard DVDs. Only thing different is the filesystem.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: October 11, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
a modified DVD format would be something like the Red Ray that I posted and I mentioned how it's a lot cheaper than Bluray already.

I checked multiple sources (all that I could find) and the disc held 12(-15)GB per layer and only need small modifications to existing DVD lines unlike Bluray which need completely new manufacturing lines.

From all the sources I saw, the drives were expensive ($1000 back in 2008), but I'm sure there was no mass production as only a handful of drives even existed.

Also the price of games didn't really increase because of the use of Bluray, I'm sure game cost didn't go up $10 because the disc they are printed on cost an extra $0.99 more than a regular DVD, it had more to do with development cost and adjusting to HD assets. The raise in cost was to offset production values and lower the amount of copies needed to be sold to break even. The cost of the disc may have been a small contributing factor, but I doubt it was even close to a main reason.

p.s. I'm still hoping Nintendo finds a way to use their Holo tech in the next system though, and it would be cool to find out that they are already setup to use it for the 3DS aswell (could be another reason for why the price is higher for that as well)