Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167433 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2800 on: October 03, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »

I figure that the Wii 2 will be about the same size and dimensions of the 360 slim. The upgraded version of the classice controller will be wireless like the one for the 360 in the picture.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:39:50 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
Tell me more, future boy
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: October 03, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
Tell me more, future boy

I originally wanted the Wii 2 to be smaller than the current model, but BnM convinced me that the Wii 2 will have to be bigger than the Wii in order to have HD graphics and what ever the else the current HD consoles have at their disposal.

The Wii 2 will most likely try to imitate the 360 and it will be to that system what the 3DS is in some ways to the PSP.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
Do you know stuff?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
Do you know stuff?

What do you mean, Zap?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: October 03, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
About things?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: October 03, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »
I did/said wut now?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
All I am sayinng is that the I am predicting that the Wii 2 will look similar to the 360 slim.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2808 on: October 04, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
Yes, you've mentioned that in multiple threads (like you frequently do).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: October 04, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »
Well, let's get back to Wii 2 speculation.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 04, 2010, 01:04:22 AM »
Kytime89 is actually none other than Satoru Iwata. That's how he happens to know so much about Nintendo's future plans. My guess is he is posting here incognito so he can gauge the community's reactions to his ideas.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: October 04, 2010, 01:54:02 AM »
Let's assume for a moment that the Wii 2 is roughly the same size as the 360 slim, would it be cost prohibitive to have a port for the controller of every virtual console? What I am saying is that all I need to do is plug plug in my Genesis controller directly into the side of the Wii 2 console and then enjoy Sonic and Gun Star Heroes. The same goes for the N64 and the other consoles on the service.

Let's also assume that these are the consoles available:

NES
SNES
N64
Master System
Genesis
Neo Geo
Turbo Grafx 16
Commodore 64
Saturn
Dreamcast

It seems like it would be cheap to produce these parts, but at the same time it seems as if it would be too expensive at the same time. I mean it might help casuals towards figuring out the virtual console if they were to notice a bunch of ports labeled for each console they might put two and two togehter and help raise sales of virtual console titles. 

Edit: I was thinking about only one port for each each controller, which would not be good for multiplayer games.

Could these hard drives ever be used in the Wii 2?

http://kotaku.com/5633779/budget-sub+150-solid-state-drive-round+up
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:43:32 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 04, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »
Dude.  That is a LOT of controller sockets.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 04, 2010, 03:51:48 AM »
I agree with BnM in that Nintendo is working on its on proprietary format; holographic or otherwise. As for onboard storage, Nintendo would be stupid to repeat the same mistake they made with the Wii, i.e. not having enough of it and later having to release a patch to allow for more. If they are going to keep the VC and WiiWare (and they are), they'd better allow for third-party storage and give it at least 32 gb of onboard from the get go.

As for the processors and gpu, I have no idea what Nintendo will do, but I know the criteria that both chips will fall in.

1. It must produce HD graphics. Yes it raises development cost, but not having an HDMI out will make it seem like extremely low tech and thus not worth the value. The only way the Wii got away without it is because the Wiimote was (and is) extremely revolutionary. I don't care what Nintendo has planned in terms of new controls, but i know no matter how revolutionary it is, the Wii 2 still needs HD support.

2. It'll be extremely energy efficient and quiet.

3. It'll be extremely cheap.

4. Finally, the graphical prowess will match current consoles and not outperform them. Iwata once said that we have just about reached the graphical ceiling. I believe him.

As for the features of the Wii 2.

1. It'll have WiFi.

2. It'll have bluetooth connections.

3. It'll have rechargeable controllers with the option to put standard batteries in. (think 360)

4. It'll be backwards compatible. I'm not sure about GC support but my intuition tells me we'll most likely see that on VC.

5. Online will be extremely simple but with plenty of features we've come to enjoy on other consoles. Headset, videochat, etc. You still won't be able to communicate with anyone other than friends (as in invite them to games or chat with them), but it'll be much easier to add them.

6. The OS will be able to multi-task. That means while playing you can pause and return the main menu or receive real time alerts.

7. It'll somehow communicate with 3DS. I don't know how or for what reason, but I know why. 3DS is going to kill, the Wii already kills. But both have major gimmicks (please pardon the negative connotation). The Wii 2 will probably have a more refined Wiimote and Nunchuck (maybe with a camera attachment (possibly 2 for 3D?), but that's about it. It's going to be a very evolutionary product. The tie-in is a simple effective ways to boost sales.

8. It'll be the same size as the Wii.

9. It'll be a little sleeker than the Wii, possibly made with some metal.

10. It'll retain the channel system, but think the iPhone in terms of how it'll look and react.

That's pretty much all I got.

Dictated, not read. The Management.

10/4/10
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:22 AM »
...give it at least 32 gb of onboard from the get go.

And not pull the 'half is reserved for system updates and such' trick like they did with Wii. People kept throwing around the flash memory of Wii like we could fit that much VC/WW stuff on it but only half of it was open for our use. Stupid anti-piracy updates took up the rest of our space.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 04, 2010, 05:56:25 AM »
Athough, they hold 15-30GB, so that would still leave Nintendo behind the competition...they should just go with Blu Ray.

Don't you understand that even that smaller space is overkill by far? Even the DVD format itself with its mere 9gb of storage is almost always well more than enough for most games.

Thats true until you add cinema scenes. A must for Square and Kojima support -_-
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 04, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
When games are in HD, and feature HD cinematics, that measly 9GB will fill up quickly. There are quite a few multi-disc games on the 360 now.

Also a little side not - about the in-game main  menu stuff that The Unagi mentioned - ever wonder why it's so limited in Wii games? Because it's actually built into each game, when you press the home button and get the "home" screen, that's not anything running in the background, it is actually individually added into every game, which is why sometimes it'll be in 4:3 if your TV is set to 16:9.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: October 04, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »

Pop off a latch on the side of the console and the ports are exposed to plug the controllers into for gameplay. I really like this  idea and hope that it hapens, but for some reason it seems as if costs might prohibit it from happening. How much would it cost to produce these ports? I mean SEGA has most of them and I bet they have a warehouse full of spare parts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: October 04, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
Some of you are acting like if a disc can't hold the entirety of a game its the end of the world. Is it really that much of a problem if a game spills over across another disc? Its not like we're talking about N64 carts here, which indeed had very limited space and lacked room for FMV and so on. Putting a game on two carts was out of the question because each cart cost $15 or so to manufacture. That's not true with optical media, where you're looking at like 50 cents or something for each disc. Not a problem at all.

So why is it so absolutely critical that games must be on a single disc? After 20 hours of gameplay you might have to flip a disc, but big deal. If you're that lazy you can't switch a disc half way through the game then there's something wrong with you that no optical format could ever fix.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: October 04, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

Pop off a latch on the side of the console and the ports are exposed to plug the controllers into for gameplay. I really like this  idea and hope that it hapens, but for some reason it seems as if costs might prohibit it from happening. How much would it cost to produce these ports? I mean SEGA has most of them and I bet they have a warehouse full of spare parts.

Its a stupid idea and it isn't going to happen. Even the GC controller ports will be phased out eventually.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
Some of you are acting like if a disc can't hold the entirety of a game its the end of the world. Is it really that much of a problem if a game spills over across another disc? Its not like we're talking about N64 carts here, which indeed had very limited space and lacked room for FMV and so on. Putting a game on two carts was out of the question because each cart cost $15 or so to manufacture. That's not true with optical media, where you're looking at like 50 cents or something for each disc. Not a problem at all.

So why is it so absolutely critical that games must be on a single disc? After 20 hours of gameplay you might have to flip a disc, but big deal. If you're that lazy you can't switch a disc half way through the game then there's something wrong with you that no optical format could ever fix.

One disc is easier to manage than three. This reminds me of the time when I had a copy of Metal Gear Solid and the second disc got scratched and I sit for a month waiting to get a new one before Snake could proceed into the blast furnace.

Multi-disced games are also a archetype of the PS1 generation and has no place in today's games.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »

Its a stupid idea and it isn't going to happen. Even the GC controller ports will be phased out eventually.

A USB adapter is the way to go then, right?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: October 04, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

One disc is easier to manage than three. This reminds me of the time when I had a copy of Metal Gear Solid and the second disc got scratched and I sit for a month waiting to get a new one before Snake could proceed into the blast furnace.

Multi-disced games are also a archetype of the PS1 generation and has no place in today's games.

I never had that problem because I always took good care of my stuff. If my game wasn't in the system then it was in the case. No exceptions. I didn't throw them around on the floor or let people "borrow" them.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:01:12 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2823 on: October 04, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
Same here, I don't understand how people let their discs get damaged. If you have kids, for example, keep the games out of their reach.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
So long as the discs have proper places within the case (Lost Odyssey with your 4 discs stacked on top of each other on a single spindle, I'm looking at you!) and you take care of your discs, I've never had an issue with multi-disc games.  While I would prefer to have my nice Wii 2 HD games on one disc, it doesn't particularly bother me to have multi-disc games provided the games are programmed in an intelligent way.  For instance, a multi-disc game that recently irritated me was Mass Effect 2, where there are planets that you can only access on Disc 1 and planets you can only access on Disc 2.  This means there's some unnecessary and annoying disc-swapping if you do the planets out of whatever order the developers wanted you to do.  You even have to swap to Disc 1 to visit the final location in the game!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.