Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167867 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2600 on: July 06, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »
I don't believe you--but I'll give you one point for not making me cringe.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
I don't believe you--but I'll give you one point for not making me cringe.

I now feel cheated, Vudu. You owe me nine more points. I kept my end of the bargain, I expect you to do the same.  :cool;
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 06, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
I kept my end of the bargain, I expect you to do the same.  :cool;

Herein lies your downfall.  I was willing to play along at first, but if you insist on continuing this little charade it will be your undoing.

You might put stickers on your Wii to prevent theft but I can use those same stickers to ensure that it is truly your Wii system that has been dissected and made into a GameCube.

I demand that you provide pictures of your disassembled Wii with stickers or I shall smite you ten times over.  You have 24 hours to comply.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
However, this generation solves the logistics of all that in several ways. Number one, for many games on the DS you can do multiplayer with just a single cart. That means not everyone has to have their own copy, which is great.
Connectivity didn't require everyone have their own game, it was only the one GameCube game.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
I kept my end of the bargain, I expect you to do the same.  :cool;

Herein lies your downfall.  I was willing to play along at first, but if you insist on continuing this little charade it will be your undoing.

You might put stickers on your Wii to prevent theft but I can use those same stickers to ensure that it is truly your Wii system that has been dissected and made into a GameCube.

I demand that you provide pictures of your disassembled Wii with stickers or I shall smite you ten times over.  You have 24 hours to comply.

I simply removed the stickers and thew them away.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
No.

You didn't.

But you should.

They look horrible.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 07, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
No.

You didn't.

But you should.

They look horrible.

It was shitty paint job, but I intend to make it better.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:06 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5581031/nintendo-wants-people-to-take-their-miis-to-new-systems

Nintendo is apparently interested in allowing miis to be transferred over to future Nintendo systems, nd possibly the 3DS. This might give a glimmer of hope for those who want to be able to transfer their VC, wiiware and DSiware to future systems.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 07, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »
Maybe not, since you know, Miis are free and VC games cost money?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:57 AM »
and I can already transfer Miis inbetween systems, unlike certain game saves and downloadable games.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2610 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I really hope they upgrade the Miis to make them a little more detailed. Microsoft's "avatars" were obviously a complete theft of Nintendo's idea by Rare, so I'd like to see them take the "Mii" idea even further. Make them highly customizable.

EDIT:  I'm working on a new controller design that I'll post a link to later this afternoon if I can find some extra time. Just how I feel Nintendo should direct its next controller in..
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:16:08 PM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
I really hope they upgrade the Miis to make them a little more detailed. Microsoft's "avatars" were obviously a complete theft of Nintendo's idea by Rare, so I'd like to see them take the "Mii" idea even further. Make them highly customizable.

More facial features, accessories(glasses hats, earrings) and some custom clothing including shoes would be great.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2612 on: July 07, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »

More facial features, accessories(glasses hats, earrings) and some custom clothing including shoes would be great.

That's what I've been wanting. I don't need my Miis to be "HD" (though, that'd be nice), but it would give me a lot more options just to have mores hairstyles and mouths to work with.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2613 on: July 07, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

My Controller Design for Nintendo's Next-Gen Console

I think this design attacks the best of both worlds for core/casual gamers.  It gives plenty of options for devs and also allows compatibility with ANY previous Virtual Console/WiiWare title.  AND it eliminates clutter.  No more goofy and ridiculously absurd peripherals and add-ons. Keep it simple, and keep it focused.  That's what this controller design excels at.

I'll email Nintendo of Japan now. :)
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »
I don't think the Wii2 will use IR anymore, it will probably use gyros like in wii motion plus.  That mockup also looks fairly uncomfortable, either the handles will be too short to serve as a wii remote or too long to be easy to handle as a traditional controller.  Also, when separated the D pad and second trigger will become essentially inaccessible, resulting in the wii remote portion not having any usable direction control.

I personally expect the wii2 remote to be fairly similar, but using gyros to eliminate the need for the IR pointer (if they can avoid the need for constant calibration).  They may keep the IR pointer for backwards compatibility, though (this shouldn't be necessary, if they use a dual-core system they could put an emulation layer in there, but that may be more work than Nintendo is willing to do).  It may have a microphone, and will likely have a lot more memory (probably similar to the Wii now).  I doubt it would have a screen, but if it did it would probably be a small, low-res, color, screen without touch capability.  And I expect something like the Nyko controller's ability for addons to duplicate button presses on the remote.  There is also a change they may replace the D-pad with something like the 3Ds nub.  They may also add another two small buttons next to the A button, perhaps just duplicates of the 1+2 buttons.  Another possibility is a slider either on the side or around the A button for adjusting 3D depth, similar to the 3DS, or some sort of spinner which can also have its four direction pressed.

I expect the nunchuck to also remain mostly the same, perhaps with two buttons near the joystick, but remain wired.  I doubt it would get gyros, but it might.

I would hope they will release something like the classic controller pro with accelerometers and its own dedicated bluetooth connection.  I doubt the design would change too much from that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:37:32 PM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 07, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Rachtman, I like your controller mock-up but it has the one "problem" that justified the Wii remote's whole design - it looks exactly like those typical controllers that were apparently too confusing for people.  Your design looks great and looks very functional and ergonomic, but that was never the plan with the Wii to begin with.  Nintendo designed the Wii controller to look like a TV remote because they felt the mainstream would identify with it more.  Everything else took a backseat.

So this removes the one thing that Nintendo felt was the most important part of the Wii controller design and I'm sure they figure that design was a key part of the Wii's success and that removing it would scare away some of the new audience they've attracted.  I think they assume people are much more helpless than they really are and that your controller would have minimal negative effect on sales.  But they won't think that.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2616 on: July 07, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
I don't think the Wii2 will use IR anymore, it will probably use gyros like in wii motion plus.  That mockup also looks fairly uncomfortable, either the handles will be too short to serve as a wii remote or too long to be easy to handle as a traditional controller.  Also, when separated the D pad and second trigger will become essentially inaccessible, resulting in the wii remote portion not having any usable direction control.
And in saying that, you're talking about casual-only games that focus JUST on the remote. And how many casual-only oriented games do you know of that use the D-pad for directional purposes?  I know of none off-hand.

And secondly, when separated, the Z-trigger on the back instantly becomes used like the B button trigger on the current Wii remote. So the four buttons on top could be used just as the D-pad on the Wii remote is used now -- for short, simple commands (if any at all) in casual games.

Rachtman, I like your controller mock-up but it has the one "problem" that justified the Wii remote's whole design - it looks exactly like those typical controllers that were apparently too confusing for people.  Your design looks great and looks very functional and ergonomic, but that was never the plan with the Wii to begin with.  Nintendo designed the Wii controller to look like a TV remote because they felt the mainstream would identify with it more.  Everything else took a backseat.
Not really, Ian. What's the one thing most casual games do anyway? Waggle. Once separated, how is this any different from the Wii remote? Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't most normal TV/DVD/etc remotes have MANY more buttons than a Wii remote?  Having four face buttons, an R button, and a Z-trigger are hardly complicated or confusing.

My drawing may be a bit rough, but I designed with the ergonomic feel of the GameCube controller in mind -- which is much more comfortable in the hands than the Wii remote is (thus the slightly curved handles). This design also allows all of the buttons to be within reach...and that's another thing the current Wii remote fails at.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:57:53 PM by Rachtman »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 07, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
I'm against the idea of just taking the right side of a Gamecube/PS2 controller as a substitute for the Wii remote. I can't see that working because that changes how the controller is held. Swinging it like a baseball bat seems far more cumbersome. The remote still needs to be in the shape of a remote, though Nintendo could round the edges to make it more comfortable to hold for longer periods of time. I understand Nintendo's logic in meeting the familiarity of a tv remote control, but that logic begins to falter once function comes into play. A videogame controller is held the entire time one engages with the videogame which is unlike changing the channel or adjusting the volume. In short, the curved design of the Playstation Move controller is probably comfortable than the strictly rectangular Wii remote.

I never thought the number of buttons really affected the accessibility of the Wii remote. It was more about shape and function. You see someone swinging a a remote-esque controller rather than pressing buttons. That said, the remote can double as the right side of a traditional controller with more buttons and an analog stick without alienating people. The nunchuck should incorporate the d-pad which would eliminate the need to turn the remote sideways while also negating the classic controller. I feel like that's the best compromise.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
Not really, Ian. What's the one thing most casual games do anyway? Waggle. Once separated, how is this any different from the Wii remote? Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't most normal TV/DVD/etc remotes have MANY more buttons than a Wii remote?  Having four face buttons, an R button, and a Z-trigger are hardly complicated or confusing.

You're preaching to the choir here.  I agree.  This isn't much different and it isn't confusing.  But then I don't think any of the previous controllers (except for the Atari Jaguar's, hee hee) are confusing.

The difference is the shape and I know Nintendo won't go for something that, more or less, looks like a controller.  I think to design a Wii 2 controller that is pleasing to Nintendo's marketing department and provides the functionality we desire, you have to start with the nunchuk/remote combo and figure out how to put all those missing buttons back while maintaining the current aesthetics.

I would be fine if Nintendo just included the damn classic controller with the system next time.  If it's there as a standard that developers know everyone has then they'll use it when appropriate.  You don't have to shoehorn your controls into a waggle mess if the option to not use the remote at all is available.  It isn't available right now because the CC is an optional accessory.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 07, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »
i had an Atari jaguar

it was great! You only really used the three face buttons anyways

i was dumb one day and plugged it into the wrong ac adapter, Tiger direct took it back, but they didn't give me a new one they just gave me a $50 store credit which expired.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:49:01 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »

My Controller Design for Nintendo's Next-Gen Console

I think this design attacks the best of both worlds for core/casual gamers.  It gives plenty of options for devs and also allows compatibility with ANY previous Virtual Console/WiiWare title.  AND it eliminates clutter.  No more goofy and ridiculously absurd peripherals and add-ons. Keep it simple, and keep it focused.  That's what this controller design excels at.

I'll email Nintendo of Japan now. :)

HAHAHA hah AHA hAhha AHHAHhahAHHAHAHahahaHAHahahhaaHAAHHHHHHAHHAhahah

I swear to you that I made the exact same mock-up....get this....6 years ago! hahahahahahaha
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 07, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
I had a similar idea back when I played the Virtual Boy. Woe to me for thinking I was getting a deal when Toys R Us sold it to me new for $25. I thought it was a special. I found out a week later it had been discontinued.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 07, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
I bet Nintendo will keep the Wiimote almost identical (maybe even make it compatible with Wii2) and will just bundle the system, with a classic controller thing, what they should have done from the beginning.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 07, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
I swear to you that I made the exact same mock-up....get this....6 years ago! hahahahahahaha
I made a very similar one around the time gyroscopes were rumoured to be in the new "Revolution" controller.  I even posted it on this site.

Too bad I didn't save a copy.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
From a recent Interview with Sakurai on Wired.com:

Wired.com: Having now done a major console game for Nintendo and a major handheld game, where do you as a designer want to go next, home systems or handhelds?

Sakurai: I’ve never made a game for a high-definition platform. That’s definitely something I’m interested in.

For what it's worth, Sakurai has never designed a game for a non-Nintendo system.  ;)