Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167792 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2500 on: June 21, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
This is ours.
This is NWR's.

I strongly urge absolutely everyone to check impressions of this thing out.  It really wowed me quite a bit, and was a step above any Augmented Reality game I've seen or heard of before.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:02 PM »
This is ours.
This is NWR's.

I strongly urge absolutely everyone to check impressions of this thing out.  It really wowed me quite a bit, and was a step above any Augmented Reality game I've seen or heard of before.

Neither of you have videos.

was it something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cix3Ws2sOsU

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: June 21, 2010, 06:02:17 PM »
That's because anyone with videos or pictures of 3DS games in action, and not just the title or pre-demo screens did so against Nintendo's permission.  Plain and simple.

Imagine seeing a round portion of a table made out of some kind of springy rubber.  The center point bounces and depresses the most, with the outer portions moving less.  The demo seemed as practical as what you linked to, albeit possibly with better graphical effects, but also manipulated the table it was on in that springy, bouncy way.  Maybe at some point I'll come up with a youtube that resembles the part I'm talking about, but that could be a while from now.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
That would be awesome. My YuGiOh! duels would be much more epic!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: June 22, 2010, 02:11:01 AM »
Wow, yeah.  That told you things nobody has said before, and demonstrates footage never shown.

Oh, right, they never really show the screen.  That says about the same as the previews I linked to, but rather than being written, someone speaks it.  As far as I'm aware, it also didn't actually use the gyroscope sensors, but I could be mistaken.  You definitely couldn't see anything from that video, though.  And if you think you do, trust me, the real thing is different.  A lot different.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
Nintendo "Not Satisfied" With Their Online Efforts

"Of course, I have heard commentary that people feel that Nintendo's online functionality is behind the others or is lacking in some ways," he continued. "And I can say that we are not currently satisfied with the online efforts that we have made so far, and we are working at ways to improve those." Still, Iwata also insisted that the time they devote to online functionality will be decided on a product-by-product basis.

"[...We will] make a decision as to whether or not it's more important to devote resources to making that offline experience more fun and compelling for products where that is going to be the most important element of the game play; and then for products where it is going to be more important, to add online functionality and make that online functionality robust and compelling," Iwata concluded. "We will continue to focus our efforts there when it's appropriate, but it's going to be a product-by-product decision."

Well, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
It's another reason I hope they give the 3DS RAM and power above and beyond the game they are currently planning to launch with it and a Universal OS to run everything.
They should have some extra power and space to add features down the line and not have the system locked in some archaic form up update like the Wii and it's IOS system.

All software should communicate within the OS and the OS communicates with the hardware, that way if they update something, all games can take advantage of it and not only the games that were specifically designed to use that particular function.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: June 22, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »
What they've said about tag mode and automatic Wi-Fi updates leads me to believe they've done that, at least to some degree.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
What they've said about tag mode and automatic Wi-Fi updates leads me to believe they've done that, at least to some degree.
It'd be nice if that were true.  I don't trust Nintendo with this type of thing though.  They always try to inhibit rather than allow more free reign for software developers.  They like to be in full control and so I worry that they will continue to inhibit with this new OS.  I am hoping I am wrong though.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2510 on: June 22, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
Geez.. If I could just get a Nintendo console/handheld that uses something similar to the XMB on the PS3... I will 110% completely on cloud nine.

The fluidity of the XMB is fantastic. And it actually feels very "Nintendo-like" anyway. I'm amazed Sony has it, honestly.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: June 22, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »

They have said that you can d/l updates and shop titles in the background while playing games. Doesn't this pretty much confirm that the 3DS is running on a universal OS?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: June 23, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »

They have said that you can d/l updates and shop titles in the background while playing games. Doesn't this pretty much confirm that the 3DS is running on a universal OS?
Not necessarily.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: June 24, 2010, 12:05:16 AM »
It confirms that the system is capable of doing things in the background, and doing that without a universal OS is beyond even Nintendo's capacity for doing things differently for no good reason.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2514 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »
But the question is to the extent of the Universal OS is in question.  If Nintendo figured out a way that allows the single game's online functions to update or stay dormant while you play another game on the system memory then that isn't as awesome achievement.  I dunno...I just doubt Nintendo will get this right.  I love Nintendo to death for their games and vision for hardware, but their concepts for OS and online are lacking.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: June 24, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Just because they're lacking, doesn't mean they haven't learned anything. They did openly admit that their online structure sucks. That's a step in the right direction.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
augmented reality = a fit for Pokemon!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2517 on: June 25, 2010, 07:38:56 AM »
Augmented Reality + Pokemon 3D Stadium...would be awesome...plus add a special walk and battle in your world, for collecting new pokemon in your Pokemon White or Black would be awesome.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: June 25, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
Remember that DSi game, Ghost Wire? It could detect different objects in the real world and then super imposed ghosts in the game around the room you were in. Imagine a pokemon game where the type of pokemon you come across is dictated by where you are in the real world or what is around you.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: June 25, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Remember that DSi game, Ghost Wire? It could detect different objects in the real world and then super imposed ghosts in the game around the room you were in. Imagine a pokemon game where the type of pokemon you come across is dictated by where you are in the real world or what is around you.

If someone plays the game in the same exact room every time then its going to be pretty boring, because it would always be the same thing. It would work for those who travel around alot, though.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
I just thought of something. IF Nintendo has a friends in Google, then by the properties of associations, wouldn't they also have a friend in Verizon?

edit: I just realized that I never finished this thought. :D

If Nintendo was working with Google on software/online solutions for the 3DS and next Nintendo Home Console, and Iwata was interested in doing something similar to Kindle for the 3DS, wouldn't partnering with Google put them in close relations with Verizon to handle such a task?

I imagine any Kindle like usage of small data packets sent over 3/4G would be for game authentication & firmware updates and not for actual online gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:57:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: June 26, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
PS3 and Xbox 360 to get Hulu service. They actually got netlfix before the wii, so will the wii get eventually get a hulu service of its own.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1101904p1.html
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: June 26, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
PS3 and Xbox 360 to get Hulu service. They actually got netlfix before the wii, so will the wii get eventually get a hulu service of its own.

Not unless Nintendo is gonna start charging for online services or Nintendo users want to pay to use Hulu.

PlayStation Network users will have to register for a paid subscription service to use Hulu, according to Bloomberg. No word yet if this could one day be implemented into PlayStation Plus, Sony's premium PSN service first detailed this morning.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: June 26, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »

Not unless Nintendo is gonna start charging for online services or Nintendo users want to pay to use Hulu.

PlayStation Network users will have to register for a paid subscription service to use Hulu, according to Bloomberg. No word yet if this could one day be implemented into PlayStation Plus, Sony's premium PSN service first detailed this morning.

They are already paying for Netflix, right? What is the difference?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: June 26, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
Hulu is free online & Netflix also sends me movies in the mail.