Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168172 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2275 on: May 04, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »
yeah this is never going to happen. I understand why some would want it to happen and I see the benefits but Nintendo is already partnered up with a lot of companies and even though they're making bank, they have to cut those people in.

That's why nintendo only partners with people when A) it'll make them a vast amount of money and B) they absolutely need something from this company. Partnering with google for an OS doesn't cut it. Nintendo would rather build it themselves, especially seeing as how their OS now is fine enough to make them millions of dollars.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 04, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
But they are already partnered on making the OS.....

It's just a question of does this OS resurface in the next Nintendo console/handheld and/or is it already being used in some fashion by Google (Chrome/Android).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 04, 2010, 06:02:17 PM »
I went ahead and fixed that for you, Ian.

I know you couldn't really be talking about Nintendo, because after all they are the most successful video gaming company of this generation with the highest market share.

I don't subscribe to the theory that if one is in a favourable situation that every decision they've made up to the point was correct.  Or vice versa.  Nintendo has always thought about themselves and the botton line for the next quarter with all else taking a backseat.

Sony thinks enough about the future that they over-extended themselves this gen and that's why the PS3 was so damn expensive.  They were thinking about HD.  They were thinking about how they wanted Blu-Ray to become the HD standard and how they needed a console that could make use of these new TV standards.  The timing was kind of the shits for both Sony and MS in that they felt they needed to make consoles that complimented HDTVs, which makes a lot of sense in today's market, but that was going to price things too high at the time.

Sony went from first to LAST and yet their third party support has remained strong and virtually unaffected.  Nintendo somehow has managed to be the first ever market leader to have by far the WORST third party support of their generation.  If you're going to use end results to determine who knows what they're doing, that result suggests that Nintendo ain't exactly without flaw.  I highly doubt this was part of the plan.

I see the theory of how Nintendo and Google could compliment each other but I think that their different approaches would clash.  What if Nintendo wouldn't want to spend extra time or money for something that won't matter in the here and now while Google did?  I think Nintendo more or less HAS to work largely alone, unless they really change their attitude.  They seem too stubborn to work well with others at this level.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Ian, I have to disagree.  It was Nintendo who realized five years ago that the industry growth was slowing (shrinking, even), and who predicted that game budgets would become too big for most developers to survive.  How can you  say that Nintendo always thinks about the bottom line for the next quarter, when their actions have changed the direction of gaming for the next decade, all the while being very communicative of their intentions?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
It's just a question of does this OS resurface in the next Nintendo console/handheld and/or is it already being used in some fashion by Google (Chrome/Android).
Uh oh... *insanolord smash*
Sony went from first to LAST and yet their third party support has remained strong and virtually unaffected.
Whoa, slow down, there, chief. Sony lost almost all of their former exclusives. They've been able to hold on to 3rd party support because of mutlplatform releases. Virtually unaffected? In numbers, yes, kind of, but looking at the big picture, their 3rd party support is no where near what it once was. 3rd party exclusives are becoming a dying breed, but when they hit, it's usually on 360.
I see the theory of how Nintendo and Google could compliment each other but I think that their different approaches would clash.  What if Nintendo wouldn't want to spend extra time or money for something that won't matter in the here and now while Google did?
Companies make partnerships based on specific needs, not to rifle through each other's sh*t and step on each other's toes. Nintendo partners with tons of companies and the approaches don't clash. If Nintendo made a deal with Google to license Android to base their own OS on, I highly doubt Nintendo would agree to let Google have final say on it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: May 04, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Uh oh... *insanolord smash*

I was referring to the browser since it shares the idea of running applications much like Android.

I see the theory of how Nintendo and Google could compliment each other but I think that their different approaches would clash.  What if Nintendo wouldn't want to spend extra time or money for something that won't matter in the here and now while Google did?
Companies make partnerships based on specific needs, not to rifle through each other's sh*t and step on each other's toes. Nintendo partners with tons of companies and the approaches don't clash. If Nintendo made a deal with Google to license Android to base their own OS on, I highly doubt Nintendo would agree to let Google have final say on it.

and if ES was the base for Android in the first place, then Nintendo wouldn't really need to license it since they could just make something very compatible.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

Covering your ass and partnering are two different things.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
I was referring to the browser since it shares the idea of running applications much like Android.
I know what you were referring to. I was just having some fun....
and if ES was the base for Android in the first place, then Nintendo wouldn't really need to license it since they could just make something very compatible.
I highly doubt ES was the basis for Android. From what I understand, Android is based off of Linux and was developed by a company named Android Inc. which in turn was purchased by Google in 2005 therefore Google had nothing to do with Android or Android Inc. until then. Additionally, Android is written in Java while the article you linked to states ES is written in C++. Now, I won't pretend to know all the technical ins and outs. Rather, I'm just pointing out a few inconsistencies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
Oh i see.

I figured if Google was working on it, then some parts of it would have made their way into Chrome and Android since i don't remember either one being released before 2008.

Covering your ass and partnering are two different things.

You should re-read the 1st post I made on this? Nintendo started the development on the ES OS and the same engineer is now working on it at Google. They have both co-copyrighted it. It belongs to both Nintendo & Google.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 04, 2010, 08:57:03 PM »
I read it. And my post still makes perfect sense.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 04, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
then please explain.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 04, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
Unless Nintendo purposely sent the dude to Google, this is just another example of Nintendo covering there ass.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
If it was developed under Nintendo's roof on Nintendo's dime then it's Nintendo's property.
how is Nintendo covering their ass?

The guy that started it moved to Google (probably for a fatter pay check and access to more tech) likely with Nintendo's blessing to work on the ES OS and for the shared resources and continues development Nintendo let Google co-copyright.

Nintendo could have buried that code in their R&D sector till it was completely outdated and remained unfinished, but let Google resources see the project till the end.

So please explain how this is Nintendo covering their ass.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
You are assuming he left with Nintendo's blessing. I'm more cynical when it comes to business.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
He took Nintendo code with him and started openly working on it at Google.... Do you really think the Ninjas at Nintendo would let him do that if he didn't have the blessing?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:59 AM »
Not without covering their ass ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 05, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
Covering their ass how?

They owned the code first.
they co-copyrighted it with Google.

how is Nintendo covering their ass? and covering their ass from what?
I really am not understanding.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2292 on: May 05, 2010, 01:55:29 AM »
From some unagi waiting to crawl up its profitable rectum.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 05, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
I don't think this ES business points to anything Nintendo will put in a future console, either.  Since Nintendo is so secretive, the fact that Nintendo let the guy take his pet project with him to Google suggests the opposite.  The co-copyright deal only means that Nintendo was smart enough to hold on to partial ownership just in case it turns into something profitable in the future.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 05, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »
I don't think this ES business points to anything Nintendo will put in a future console, either.  Since Nintendo is so secretive, the fact that Nintendo let the guy take his pet project with him to Google suggests the opposite.  The co-copyright deal only means that Nintendo was smart enough to hold on to partial ownership just in case it turns into something profitable in the future.
This is my take as well.  Nintendo saw a possible investment opportunity and decided to stick with it.  He was leaving Nintendo for Google and asked if he could keep working on ES.  Nintendo gave permission on the promise that if it made money, they'd get some of that money.  That's why there is a co-copyright on it.  Nintendo will do nothing with ES.  The only stake they have in it is a monetary one.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
Sony's 3rd party support remains strong, but it is absolutely wrong to say it is unaffected or is as strong as it was in the PS2 days. As was pointed out by a previous poster, they have far less exclusives than they used to. What they do usually get from 3rd parties is multiplatform titles that are shared with the 360 and PC.

Nintendo's 3rd party support is abysmal, but considering its been that way for the last 10 years I really don't know if I can say its worse than ever. It may be just as bad as always, but it may even have improved because Nintendo is getting a few things like Monster Hunter Tri and so forth that probably wouldn't have happeend in the GC days.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 05, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
Covering their ass how?

They owned the code first.
they co-copyrighted it with Google.

how is Nintendo covering their ass? and covering their ass from what?
I really am not understanding.

I'm sorry. I've been purposely vague because, in a dickheaded way, I thought it was funny. But yes, Nintendo is simply covering there ass. And what I mean has already been stated perfectly.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2297 on: May 06, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
If Retro's working on a new big project, they would've already replaced the senior staff that left, and we'd hear about BOTH the new staff and the new project.

Since neither has happened, the studio is probably dead.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 06, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
look them up on LinkedIn.com

• HI I'M CRAZY