Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167614 times)

Evan_B and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2125 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
Well first of all, for that technology to work (the one that interacts outside of the system), you'll need a second object. Your saying that the bottom half of the system will be the second object. The only problem with that, is that you physically have to manipulate the object in the real world to manipulate it in the digital world.
Not following you here.  I think it would work, but I'm not an expert on the tech.
I'm not sure what you are talking about manipulating in the physical world.
You don't actually need a marked die to be your point of reference for you AR object. Besides you could always just use the bottom screen as a reference point.

Next you wanted to have the stylus be tracked by the camera so that you could interact with the object. This is feasible but I see a cord being attached to the stylus.

There are styluses that are a little smaller than the one for the DSiXL that that work on the same level I've described. Battery works fine and this one could be recharged just by putting it back in it's slot.

The popping out aspect, however, could never work in the holographic type of way you are talking about. As soon as you block your perspective with the stylus, either one or both eyes are not getting information to create the illusion of depth for your brain, and thus the illusion would cease to exist.

It's a great idea, but the combination of technologies that you have in your head (1+1 = 3), just isn't sophisticated enough right now.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's not like your entire view will be blocked by the stylus, so I don't see how the entire effect will be null and void. But we obviously stand on 2 different sides of the line of what is possible, so we'll find out which side is right during E3.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:42 AM »
I guess we will.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 26, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
More speculation:

An actual usable pressure sensitive screen in the 3DS?

Pressure Sensitive Touchscreens Are Coming, Powered by Quantum Mechanics
Nowadays we're all about touching our mobile devices and computer hardware, but despite the ubiquity of touchscreens on the market, almost none are sensitive to varying degrees of pressure. A company in the U.K. by the name of Peratech is looking to fill in that gap by harnessing the power of quantum mechanics.

Technology Review reports that Peratech has signed a deal with screen manufacturer Nissha (whose partners include LG and Nintendo) to license its unique pressure sensitive technology. Peratech's screens use an "electrically conductive material dubbed a quantum tunneling composite" to provide more efficient and more sensitive touchscreens than any other similar technology currently available.

It seems a little too new to be cost effective, and I don't really see any uses for it outside of drawing and typing, but if Nintendo were willing to include it, I'm sure there will be some interesting uses for it and all, but wait....

Nissha signs $1.4 million licensing agreement for Peratech’s  ultra-thin, low power QTC technology switches to create next generation of touch screens with 3D input for mobile devices
[...]
The licensing agreement gives Nissha exclusive worldwide rights to use the technology for screens smaller than 3.5 by 5.5 inches for an initial period of 1 year.

Philip Taysom, joint CEO of Peratech, said, “This is Peratech’s first million dollar licensing agreement and is a huge testament to the power and potential of QTC technology by one of the world’s leading manufacturers of touch screens for mobile phones and gaming consoles. QTC is also ideal for creating solutions for larger touch screens and we are actively investigating this market.â€
[...]
Chris Lussey, joint CEO of Peratech, commented, “QTC changes the game when it comes to human machine interface design with capabilities to build truly 3D user interfaces in small, low power devices. This three dimensionality cannot be matched with existing resistive and capacitive technologies. Using products with an embedded QTC switch consumers could use this third dimension to search deeper into a file structure simply by pressing harder, control an avatar’s movement through a game more naturally or create the thin or thick lines which are vital for Far East characters.â€

QTC technology has no moving parts and requires no air gap between contacts. This makes it extremely reliable and suitable for integration into the thinnest electronic designs and with industry leading operational life. With QTC, touch screens can be made feature rich and ultra-thin allowing for the development of even slimmer, lighter weight and lower-power portable devices.
Takao Hashimoto, Director, CTO of Nissha and General Manager of Technology Research & Development, added, “QTC will be a disruptive technology for mobile phones enabling thinner phones to be designed with amazing new input interfaces.â€

Wasn't Nintendo's next step after disrupting the market with the DS and the Wii to disrupt it's own market with the follow up to those systems and keep the competition always a few steps behind wading in the wrong pools?

Wasn't Nintendo's next step after disrupting the market with the DS and the Wii to disrupt it's own market with the follow up to those systems and keep the competition always a few steps behind wading in the wrong pools?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:29:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:10 PM »
Next you wanted to have the stylus be tracked by the camera so that you could interact with the object. This is feasible but I see a cord being attached to the stylus.

There are styluses that are a little smaller than the one for the DSiXL that that work on the same level I've described. Battery works fine and this one could be recharged just by putting it back in it's slot.

I found one of the stylus/pens I was talking about.
This one has no battery, is wireless, has buttons and is tracked by the system itself.

I don't expect Nintendo to do it exactly like this, but something similar would equate to nothing short of magic for the unaware consumer.
The Wacom stylus
looks and feels like a pen yet contains no batteries or magnets. Instead it takes advantage of patented resonance technology developed by Wacom Co. Ltd. in which a tiny signal is sent to the stylus and returned for position analysis. In operation, a grid of wires below the screen alternates between transmit and receive modes about every 20 microseconds.

In the transmit mode (1), the tablet's signal stimulates oscillation in the coil-and-capacitor resonant circuit in the pen. In receive mode (2), the energy of the resonant circuit oscillations in the pen is detected by the
tablet's antenna grid. This is then analyzed to determine position and other information including pressure.

Since the grid provides the power to the pen through resonant coupling, no batteries are required. Thus there are no consumables inside the pen that will run down and need to be replaced or that would make the pen top-heavy. A simple analogy for this patented technology is that of a piano tuner using a tuning fork to tune a piano. As the tuning fork is brought into proximity of the appropriate vibrating piano string (if the fork is of the same frequency) it will begin to borrow energy from the vibrating string and resonate, generating a tone. In much the same way, as the Wacom pen comes close to the tablet surface, it begins to resonate, generating its own frequency back to the tablet. When it hears the pen, it tracks the pen'slocation with unprecedented accuracy. The tablet then sends location,pressure and tilt information to the computer along with asignal indicating whether the pen point or the eraser tip is being used.

http://www.wacom-components.com/products/penabled/standardPens/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:30:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 26, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
I love the speculation.  No matter how far fetched or even how likely it is, nobody knows if it will or won't be part of the system until Nintendo tells us it is or isn't or until someone actually takes the thing apart and does a thorough inspection.  Before then, everyone could be a genius or an idiot.  I love it!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2130 on: March 26, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
Nintendo loves to disappoint!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »
I know 1 or 2 of you think I sound crazy with my speculations for what might be possible on the 3DS, but you have to admit that not only would something like this be cool, but it should easily be possible and even better in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrbq8t6-po

just picture it. imagine it was a Picross 3D game instead, imagine it you could interact with the 3D object in 3D space without actually touching the screen. It all just seems so possible to me with the tech that is being included in the 3DS.

Join my HYPE TRAIN today!!
Limited amount of tickets available. Only 2 tickets per person. All passengers must be of legal age or accompanied by an adult. No outside food or beverages. 2 Drink minimum. No ugly girls allows ;-). No refunds. No shoes, No Shirt, No Problem (if you are a woman). Void where prohibited. Not applicable in VA, KY, WY.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 27, 2010, 05:13:33 AM »
Join my HYPE TRAIN today!!
Limited amount of tickets available. Only 2 tickets per person. All passengers must be of legal age or accompanied by an adult. No outside food or beverages. 2 Drink minimum. No ugly girls allows ;-). No refunds. No shoes, No Shirt, No Problem (if you are a woman). Void where prohibited. Not applicable in VA, KY, WY.

Yes! My state is good for the contest! Poor VA, KY amd WY. All aboard the hype train! Next Stop: E3!!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »
The best part about new Nintendo systems is the speculation beforehand. It's interesting to see what kinds of ideas people come up with, and if they're anything close to what is later revealed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 27, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
So are you getting on my HYPE TRAIN or what?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 27, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
Depends. Does this make me not eligible?

No ugly girls allows ;-).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 27, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »
Depends. :looks at your tag: Are you ugly?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 27, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
Depends.

<-- Do you think she's ugly?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
We have room for "different", there are plenty of seats available.

A seat on the HYPE TRAIN comes with a weekly newsletter full of all sorts of off the wall theories/speculations/rumors, pics of fan made mock ups, and "insider knowledge" from people that have a friend that knows someone that works somewhere important.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 27, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
I'm on this train only if you can promise me we'll arrive at the Nut Buster station on time!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 27, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
Not only will the train be pulling into the station on schedule, but climax will be reached by everyone at the same time too.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 27, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Does the Hype Train SEXPRESS provide complimentary towels?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 27, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
No, you just use the persons hair in front of you. I CALL BACK SEAT!
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 27, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
No, you just use the persons hair in front of you. I CALL BACK SEAT!

ew..

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2144 on: March 27, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »
complimentary bowels
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:01 AM »
SPECULATION TIME!!!

Nintendo to flex it's 3DS muscle?
Artificial Muscle ramps up production -- expect touchscreens that push back in 2011
Last  we heard from Artificial Muscle, the company was trying to convince  hospitals, cell phone manufacturers and more that its technology -- a  silicon film that expands and contracts with an applied voltage -- would  provide a real sense of touch to their cold, hard touchscreens. On at  least three counts, it has succeeded. The San Jose Mercury News  reports that two cell phone manufacturers are planning Artificial  Muscle-based products in 2011, and that an "electronics entertainment  product" will be released this Christmas. The company also plans to  produce 1 million of the electronic actuators per month to anticipate  further demand. While the Mercury News notes that Artificial  Muscle's product isn't the holy grail of haptic feedback  -- the entire screen stiffens when pressed, not just the spot you touch  -- its adoption means the company may have set events in motion to  ultimately reach that goal.

I smell an E3 reveal. Could this be the next secret of the 3DS that Nintendo is trying to keep under wraps for the next 2 months? Could we be getting real touch and 3D? I can only think of a few "electronics entertainment product" that would need 1 million of these things a month, considering that the other products that plan to use it (2 cell phones) won't be releasing till sometime next year.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25:56 AM »
Unless Nintendo plans on taking a loss with each system (never going to happen), the most you should hope for is that it plays Nintendo games.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 30, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »
well assuming that Nintendo is gonna use these things;
1. we have no idea how much they cost to produce
2. we have no idea what kind of deal Nintendo worked out with this company. I would have to assume that Nintendo has a massive amount of influence at the negotiation table with the massive success of Wii and DS and got these things for barely above cost since the exposure alone would push the tech into other markets.
3. We don't know how much the 3DS will retail for. I'm assuming $189.99/$199.99

So for me being SPECULATION!!!! Phase, I'm not ready to rule anything out yet unless I think it's absolutely impossible.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 30, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
That could be pretty interesting.

Could this possibly produce Braille? Imagine Nintendo actually opening up gaming to the blind.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:08 AM »
Can we move the 3ds speculation to the ds/handhelds board?

I really like the ds and it disappoints me that their isn't that much discussion there. 

We finally have big news that will bring people to that section and most of the discussion is happening on the Wii board.  This belongs there and it will bring more attention to ds games. (might and magic clash of heroes!!!!!!)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:49:39 AM by SixthAngel »