Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167672 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1900 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »
DS2 rumors still floating around. Do Devs have DS2 development kits?

http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/02/developer_allegedly_has_ds2_kit
Could this be Nintendo's big reveal?

As Nintendo’s Media Summit approaches, rumours about what exactly the big announcement will be are starting to surface. According to French web site Gamekult, it could well be the unveiling of a DS successor.

Developer sources close to the website are said to have revealed that some studios have already received development kits for the new console. No other details surrounding the specifications of the handheld have been disclosed and Nintendo have declined to comment, obviously.

alternate source: http://gamekyo.com/newsfr34833_la-nintendo-ds-2-pour-cette-annee.html (juexfrance)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:00:16 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
Nintendo should create a new controller that has not only Motion plus built into it, but also the classic controller as well. I'm thinking something essentially that you could just turn on its side and it becomes a classic controller. During normal play you probably wouldn't use the extra buttons/sticks because they would be in awkward locations when played upright.

I'm not sure if one could make something like that without it being an ergonomics nightmare.  I'm trying to think of a way this could sorta work.  Maybe like a dumbbell with the classic elements where the weights would be and a handle in the center to grip for motion control.  And Nintendo themselves said that part of the remote design was to go with something that everyone would be a familiar with - a TV remote.  A conventional controller on it's side wouldn't have the same marketibility.

I think the ideal solution is to just include BOTH controllers with the system.  Then everyone has one and developers can feel confident that they can use whatever control scheme they feel works best without fear that a certain chunk of the userbase won't be able to play it.  Nunchuks are sold seperately but there is NO concern about making games that support it because it's included with the console.  The classic controller is less supported because it's optional.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »
An ideal solution would be to create a controller that negates the classic controller entirely. It's possible. There are too many peripherals for the system.

Anyway, I think it's possible for developers to have DS2 dev kits, but I doubt Nintendo is launching a successor this year. If it takes 18-24 months to develop a game on average, DS 2 arriving next year would make sense as developers have probably had them for a couple months now. The DS2 using nVidia's Tegra 2 rumors started around November 2009. That's about right, then.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 16, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
An ideal solution would be to create a controller that negates the classic controller entirely. It's possible. There are too many peripherals for the system.

The Nintendo Brainwave Sensor.  Yeah, that's probably why they passed on Natal, too.  ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »
DS2 in the hands of Pokemon Company
The rumoured DS2 development kits are in the hands of select developers in Japan - and include a motion-sensing function, CVG can reveal.

The biggest of the firms working with the device is The Pokemon Company, which CVG understands was the first third-party business to be offered the dev kit.

A CVG insider at one of the studios currently toying with DS2 said he was aware that "a handful" of developers had been given the hardware on a trial basis.

However, Nintendo informed him that it was merely the first version of what will become the finished product. The platform holder is asking those trialling the hardware for feedback - but our man is certainly impressed.

"It's genuinely the best thing I think I've ever worked with," he said. "I can tell you that it's got a 'tilt' function that's not dissimilar to iPhone, but does a lot more. We know that The Pokemon Company are getting special attention with it."

However, before our source went tight-lipped, he said he didn't expect the hardware to be shown at GDC.

"Any kind of March announcement wouldn't fit with the timeline I understand the second DS to be on,"
he added.

He wouldn't tell us any more for fear of being rumbled, but we'll keep digging.

So there you are folks, a motion-sensing handheld with definite Pokemon goodies on the way.

Unsurprisingly, a Nintendo rep told CVG today that they wouldn't comment on "rumour or speculation".

Fingers crossed for E3...
Just remember that Pokemon Company has pretty much only worked on DS & possibly Wii recently, so when they say that it's the "best thing they've ever worked on" that lets us know that it's likely better than a Wii.

But I'm hopeful for a TGS reveal in Sept with lots of games almost ready to go and a Late Nov '10 - March '11 release date.
It's possible that this is what Pokemon Gen 5 is being developed on too.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: February 16, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
So can we finally get the handheld successor to Kirby's Tilt N' Tumble that I have waited for over a decade to have? =(
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 16, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »
Another hardware rumor and a game rumor too.

This time from Gamelabo (japanese magazine)
translated by icecream @ NeoGAF
http://i50.tinypic.com/dfk4f9.jpg
  • Game company 's idol simulation series 's latest game will be released on the Wii. It will utilize the engine from 's 2008 Wii game, [H] (......)
  • A Virtual Boy 2 is under development. And it's not going to be a standalone, but rather as a peripheral to the Wii. It will be released around the end of this year[/l][/l][/l][/l]
In other words, IdolMaster Wii and the new Nintendo hardware that we keep hearing rumors about is Virtual Boy 2.

The first one seems plausible, but VB2...? really? I doubt Nintendo wants to revisit that disaster when they are skeptical of wearing glasses for a 3D effect on a TV.
[/list]

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 16, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
I doubt it would be marketed as a 'Virtual Boy 2' but they may internally view it as the successor to the VB. I'll bet it has to do with 3D gaming. Maybe they are going to make headtracking mainstream as well?

Could it also be a mistranslation/understanding regarding a 'Virtual (Gameboy) Console' service on DSi/Wii?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
I have no idea since I don't read Japanese, but Iwata didn't like the idea of glasses worn for 3D effect on TV's so why would he be ok with the even more awkward head gear?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 16, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
I have no idea since I don't read Japanese, but Iwata didn't like the idea of glasses worn for 3D effect on TV's so why would he be ok with the even more awkward head gear?

A simple headband with IR lights wouldn't be terribly clunky. It would be like wearing a beanie or headband in real life which many people do already.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 16, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
and even more people wear glasses, so what was your point exactly?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »
My point was that it could easily be made to not be awkward to use.

Many people thought that flailing your arms around to play games would be awkward and we all know how that turned out for Nintendo.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
But if Iwata feels that wearing glasses is not gonna work for him or the majority of customers and that is a fairly common thing that people all over the world wear, why would they come up with some retainer headgear that meant for head tracking?

That is the exact type of thing that takes gaming back into the basement and out of the livingroom. Unless Iwata's claim was that wearing glasses just for 3D wouldn't be acceptable and he will make glasses that do head tracking and 3D visuals on and off the screen, but that is all very unlikely and it's even less likely that we are getting headgear.

But please, feel free to continue to speculate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
I just can't think of any other way that you could produce something even remotely similar to what the Virtual Boy did  on Wii without some sort of extra equipment you wear. Unless they have actually figured out how to display science fiction like holograms.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
I have no idea either, but I'm not believing the VB2 rumor either.

I confidently sold on DS2 being the next hardware to be announced and at the earliest E3 but more likely TGS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
But if Iwata feels that wearing glasses is not gonna work for him or the majority of customers and that is a fairly common thing that people all over the world wear, why would they come up with some retainer headgear that meant for head tracking?

That is the exact type of thing that takes gaming back into the basement and out of the livingroom. Unless Iwata's claim was that wearing glasses just for 3D wouldn't be acceptable and he will make glasses that do head tracking and 3D visuals on and off the screen, but that is all very unlikely and it's even less likely that we are getting headgear.

But please, feel free to continue to speculate.

True. Not everyone has a head to wear it on.

Think of all the French-Revolutionary-gamers that wouldn't be able to participate.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 17, 2010, 05:22:14 AM »
I have no idea either, but I'm not believing the VB2 rumor either.

I confidently sold on DS2 being the next hardware to be announced and at the earliest E3 but more likely TGS.

Nintendo doesn't do TGS.  They'd rather have their own media summit to announce it at that time of year.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
I just can't imagine the next DS being announced with the 5th Generation of Pokemon being announced for this current generation. Thats why I don't think it will be out for another 2-3 years or so.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 17, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
No one specifically said it was coming out for the current DS did they?
(sorry, I don't really keep up with pokemon news, never played it)

What is the exact quote?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
True. Not everyone has a head to wear it on.

Think of all the French-Revolutionary-gamers that wouldn't be able to participate.

I was sad because I had no hat - until I met a man with no head.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
The original Virtual Boy failed for a variety of reasons. The main reason being that developers (including Nintendo themselves) didn't really throw much support behind it at all. Its as if Nintendo realized the VB was a failure, but they pushed it out anyway just to get rid of the ones they had already made.

But I also remember it caused headaches in people if they played too long, and possibly eye damage because of the lasers. It also was really awkward to play, and wasn't really portable in the sense that the gameboy was or the DS/PSP is. It was pretty bulky, and ate through batteries. It also only had two colors (red and black).

So for all of those reasons and probably more, the VB became a failure. But if Nintendo can address these issues I see no reason they can't make something SIMILAR and have it be a success. But the main thing such a system needs is real support behind it. The old VB didn't have any Killer App to speak of, and there was only about a dozen or so games total for it, and most of those were crap. Teleroboxer and Red Alarm were pretty cool though, and there was also Wario Land which may have been the best game of all for it (though still not a killer app).

Nowadays that sort of technology is a lot more mature. Back in 94-95 something like the VB wasn't ready because they technology just hadn't matured enough yet. Nowadays a company could make something that is full color instead of red/black and probably be a lot cheaper and more reliable as well.

Gunpei Yokoi's system wasn't necessarily a bad idea per se, but it was a bad idea for its time and it failed because Nintendo themselves turned their back on it. That doesn't mean it couldn't work out in this day and age with proper support.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 17, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
This has potential for the Teabagging thread, but....

Are we being Capcom'd Again!!?
Hong Kong magazine Gamewave may have a huge scoop. This week’s cover says Monster Hunter Tri Portable, a PSP version of Monster Hunter Tri, will be in stores by the end of this year.

Gamewave correctly picked up on the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona and Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days announcements before any other publication. However, they blew it with their Gundam x Gundam Next cover story, which sourced an edited image circulating Japanese blogs. We’re not sure where their information is coming from so this is a Lagiacrus sized rumor.

One thing to note is the stories Gamewave got right were PSP games and this was because the information came from early retail listings. A Persona product number revealed the game before Atlus could.

I don't care if the game comes to PSP, but if Capcom announces this game before it releases in NA and EUR then I hope Nintendo would be PISSED!!! It would be RE4 levels of sabotage and backstabbing again. Especially since Nintendo is handling all the marketing for MH3 outside of Japan and even including the CCPro in the package.

edit:
I'm glad someone from Capcom stepped to control this rumor before it gets out of control.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mh-tri-portable-is-a-rumour-capcom
"If Capcom was to announce a new Monster Hunter Portable game, the chances of its first appearance in any magazine other than Famitsu are pretty slim. We are not even remotely close to announcing a new Freedom/Portable game in the West, and I've certainly not heard of an imminent announcement in Japan. This is a rumour." - Capcom UK spokesman Leo Tan
But a certain Mikami quote can still be heard echoing through the halls of Capcom, so we'll just have to wait and see if Capcom decides to pull another dick move. This time they would be pissing off someone alot more powerful than a single developer though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:20:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 17, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
Some possible DS2 tech coming to surface?

Nintendo may use pressure sensitive touchscreens this year
One of the next big steps forward for touchscreen technology is creating a solid solution for gauging pressure rather than just touch, and doing so in such a way that it is cheap enough to be commercially viable in the gadgets we use everyday.

Such a pressure sensitive touchscreen may appear in consumer gadgets this year due to a new $1.4 million deal done between UK company Peratech Limited and Japanese display company Nissha.
[...]
Touch pressure makes the electrons on the two layers jump towards each other while the insulator keeps them separated. The coming together allows for pressure to be measured and sensors at the edge of the screen pick up very slight changes in the bend of the display (2 micrometers). What you end up with is a very accurate pressure sensor from this QTC layer that is just 75 micrometers thick. It also only uses power when pressure is being applied suggesting it will have very little impact on battery drain.

The significance of Nissha licensing QTC technology is due to the companies it supplies. Both LG and Nintendo are customers suggesting pressure-sensing touchscreens could be in both company’s futures. The licensing agreement Nissha has signed allows it to use QTC in screens smaller than 3.5 x 5.5 inches making this purely for mobile devices to begin with.

I'm not 100% sure what pressure sensitivity may bring to the table, but if it is limited to use in 3.5in x 5.5in (how big is that diagonally? 6inches?) a DS2 screen should easily fit into that measurement.

Anybody know what pressure sensitive screen would mean for gaming?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:37:20 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 17, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
Quote from: BlackNMild2k1
3.5in x 5.5in (how big is that diagonally? 6inches?)

6.5192 inches

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »
Here is something that I didn't know about until just now.
Apparently the DS has pressure sensitive screens and the only game to take advantage of that fact is a HomeBrew game called colors.
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42399

Has anyone played this game and can verify that it works as advertised?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:18:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »