Author Topic: Do you think Nintendo will keep using the Wii Remote for Wii U games?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Nintendo could keep the Wii Remote around for people who like pointer-controlled games (like shooters). What do you think?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think Nintendo will keep using the Wii Remote for Wii U games?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »
Since they've already demonstrated the Wii U using Wii remotes for control, I'm gonna go ahead and say yes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
With only 1, maybe 2, Wii U controllers working on the system, they would kind of need to.

As Insaolord pointed out, all of their tech demos (aside from NSMBM) used the Wii Remote in addition to the tablet, confirms it. I think Nintendo flat out also said that Wii Remotes would be used on Wii U games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:13:37 AM »
Off topic, I think we have a new kytim. I propose a battle to the death between the 2.

On topic, yes.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »
I was hoping no one would bother to respond to this topic.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »
Off topic, I think we have a new kytim. I propose a battle to the death between the 2.

On topic, yes.

Huh?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »
We think alike, Adrock, unless you stole that from my post.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:55 AM »
I have renounced my evil ways and I am on the path of trying to reedem myself on this forum, so cut me some slack. Yes, Nintendo will keep the Wiimotes. They might even come out with an upgraded version later in the Wii U's life cycle.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:23:31 AM »
If they're going to do an update, it needs to happen right out of the gate if they want it to actually be used, probably by packing one in with the system. I doubt Nintendo cares enough to do that, especially since the Wii Remote with Motion+ does pretty much everything it needs to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »
If they're going to do an update, it needs to happen right out of the gate if they want it to actually be used, probably by packing one in with the system. I doubt Nintendo cares enough to do that, especially since the Wii Remote with Motion+ does pretty much everything it needs to.

The only Wii Remote updates I can think of are purely cosmetic, such as a redesign of the casing. Or Nintendo could add a magnetometer so the controller can correctly orientate itself in 3D space (like what the PS Move uses).

Other than that, the Wii Remote Plus is pretty much perfect the way it is. MotionPlus added enhanced motion control, so it's pretty accurate for what it can do.

Offline DeadPix1119

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
I think they will.  The only problem that I see is if they change the name of the Wii U. That could make the branding of the Wii remotes confusing to some customers.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
If Nintendo revamps the Wii Remote for Wii U, I still think it would be beneficial for them to nix the classic controller. That's just one less thing people who don't have one need to buy. A Wii U remote and nunchuck should match the tablet controller function for function just without the screen. Developers would be more likely to experiment if they don't have to map certain functions to waggle just because there aren't enough buttons.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »
What if they bundled a Wii Mote with the system? Good idea?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
I think the only thing that needs revamping is the nunchuk.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
We already KNOW they will, because this was demonstrated at E3 2011. Did you watch their presentation? So there is no "think" involved. Think not, KNOW or Know not. There is no Think.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Nintendo shouldn't force their gimmicky controller on third parties, so it would be a good idea for them to make a wireless Classic Controller Pro just to appease any third party developer like Epic that does not want to be hampered by a the uMote. As for the nunchuck, Nintendo could make it wireless and add motion plus to it as well.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »
Miyamoto also mentioned that the next Zelda will probably still use motion controls, which makes me giddy with excitement.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Nintendo shouldn't force their gimmicky controller on third parties, so it would be a good idea for them to make a wireless Classic Controller Pro just to appease any third party developer like Epic that does not want to be hampered by a the uMote. As for the nunchuck, Nintendo could make it wireless and add motion plus to it as well.

No one is "hampered" by the Wii U controller. It does literally everything the Classic Controller Pro does, plus more.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »

You do realize that the only difference between a normal controller and the Wii U controller is the screen, right? The Wii U controller has all the same buttons, 2 analog pads, 4 shoulder buttons, etc. The only major difference is the screen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
No one is "hampered" by the Wii U controller. It does literally everything the Classic Controller Pro does, plus more.

The only problem is it has analog pads rather than sticks, and a lot of people may prefer sticks and/or find them more precise or user friendly or whatever.

That said, Nintendo confirmed all Wii accessories will work on the Wii U so the Classic Controller Pro could be used if a developer wants to utilize it. I also think 3rd parties like Nyko will eventually come out with their own answer to the uMote. Maybe that third party solution will have the sticks that some people favor, versus the circle pads.

The only major difference is the screen.

And pads instead of sticks.
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »

The only problem is it has analog pads rather than sticks, and a lot of people may prefer sticks and/or find them more precise or user friendly or whatever.

That said, Nintendo confirmed all Wii accessories will work on the Wii U so the Classic Controller Pro could be used if a developer wants to utilize it. I also think 3rd parties like Nyko will eventually come out with their own answer to the uMote. Maybe that third party solution will have the sticks that some people favor, versus the circle pads.

The only major difference is the screen.

And pads instead of sticks.
What's the problem with slider pads? I'm pretty sure the only slider pad anyone's ever used is on the 3DS (and a circle pad pro), and from what I've played, both of mine (including circle pad pro) control pretty damn well. It's a more space-friendly analog method, necessary for the 3DS closing, and probably beneficial for the Umote, because you're probably going to be able to haul it around for data exchange.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »
Keep in mind that I have never held a uMote, and judging from the pictures that I have seen it does not look all that ergonomic.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
It looks fine to me, and from what I have seen most people who got their hands on the controller liked it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Everyone who has held the controller said that it is quite ergonomic and is actually lighter than it looks.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
I have a uDraw tablet for my PS3, and I'm guessing the Wii U controller will feel very much like that.