Author Topic: E3 2012 Predictions  (Read 113974 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Predictions
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
But did Miyamoto originally plan for everyone to roll everywhere in OOT?

hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt hayt
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
But Zelda's all about the sword and shield... I just feel like playing with them in a first person perspective would be too awkward. The Elder Scrolls games don't convince me otherwise.
There horrible implementation of it is why I never want to see that genre in first person again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »

These days, it's jump backwards everywhere, warp through walls and glide.  Rolling is for slowpokes now.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
First-person Zelda is too close to Metroid Prime. I want something different from Retro, whether that means a totally new IP or a reimagining of an existing one that's different from what they've done so far, which could be Star Fox. And before someone argues with me, yes, I'm saying that Zelda is more similar to Metroid than Star Fox is, because it totally is. If you can get past the common sci-fi themes, the gameplay of Metroid is a lot more like the exploration and puzzle solving of Zelda than the nonstop action of Star Fox.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
First-person Zelda is too close to Metroid Prime. I want something different from Retro, whether that means a totally new IP or a reimagining of an existing one that's different from what they've done so far, which could be Star Fox. And before someone argues with me, yes, I'm saying that Zelda is more similar to Metroid than Star Fox is, because it totally is. If you can get past the common sci-fi themes, the gameplay of Metroid is a lot more like the exploration and puzzle solving of Zelda than the nonstop action of Star Fox.
I can easily see that.  Now that they are closer in perpective.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »

I swear that videogame designers never play their own games.  Nobody in Nintendo did this in testing?  They all just slowly walked everywhere with all the patience in the world?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
They do give you a horse, eventually.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Or, Nintendo did do it...and since it didn't break the game...they kept it in.  I wish OoT or any of the 3D Zelda's had the awesome boots for running...but instead we got a horse...eventually...but take the horse and leave it out...is there anything wrong with rolling everywhere? 

Now the warping through walls is pretty bad...but you know holes in design seem to exist everywhere...though that is one thing I love about 2D design less holes in general.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
I remember reading that Miyamoto originally wanted Ocarina of Time to be in first person. I'm sure he had some idea of how it would work. It's probably not as bizarre in practice as it looks on paper.
Zelda in first-person = Dragon Quest Swords.

The swordplay in Dragon Quest Swords is actually very similar to Skyward Sword, with 8 directional slashes and everything, except that it doesn't work as well without Motion +. The similarities end there though, as the game is completely linear, forcing you to move on a set path. It's more like an arcade game in essence, something Zelda shouldn't be. But the point is, Zelda could actually be interesting in first-person, or at least the combat could work. I'm not sure about exploring or dungeons, though.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
First-person Zelda is too close to Metroid Prime.

Not really. The genres would be similar, but both games are vastly different in a near infinite number of ways. You don't say the current 3D Zelda games are too similar to 3D Mario, even though that is the same (and only) level of similarity a first person Zelda would have with Metroid Prime.

reimagining of an existing one

A first person Zelda game would fit that bill. Plus its not like that would have to be the only change, either. If they had total creative control they could do a lot of things different with it. It doesn't need to be just Zelda in first person. There can be other changes as well. I don't know what those changes could or would be, but Retro has proven themselves as a very capable and talented studio so I know the Zelda franchise would be in good hands with them, and it would be interesting to see what they would do.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
It's not about being in 3D. Mario is a platformer. It's entirely different from Zelda. Metroid Prime is as close a first person Zelda game as we've seen. It even controls like Ocarina of Time.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
It's not about being in 3D. Mario is a platformer. It's entirely different from Zelda. Metroid Prime is as close a first person Zelda game as we've seen. It even controls like Ocarina of Time.

Well, the Zelda and Metroid games have similarities but also a lot of differences as well. First and foremost Metroid is a sci-fi game set in the future, whereas Zelda is a medieval fantasy type setting. That alone makes the two games worlds apart. Whether they play the same or not, the difference in setting and in characters (in one you are a male in an elf costume, and in the other you are a female in science fiction space suit) is so vast that it is absurd to suggest they need to distance themselves further from each other.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
I'm just going to put these right here.
Metroid Prime is as close to a first person Zelda game as we've seen. It even controls like Ocarina of Time.
I'm baffled that you assumed that insano and I had no idea that the settings of those games are different. I thought that was a given. In terms of gameplay, the basics of Metroid Prime and Ocarina of Time are similar, right down to locking onto enemies.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »

Well, the Zelda and Metroid games have similarities but also a lot of differences as well. First and foremost Metroid is a sci-fi game set in the future, whereas Zelda is a medieval fantasy type setting. That alone makes the two games worlds apart. Whether they play the same or not, the difference in setting and in characters (in one you are a male in an elf costume, and in the other you are a female in science fiction space suit) is so vast that it is absurd to suggest they need to distance themselves further from each other.

Those are all superficial differences. The only real differences are the sense of isolation in Metroid compared to the more abundant NPCs in Zelda, and the primarily melee combat in Zelda compared to the primarily ranged combat in Metroid. At their core, they're basically the same thing, which isn't really bad, but I want to see Retro do something different.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
I predict that they'll show a new 2D Mario game for the Wii U. Maybe they'll put in Mii's to mix it up?

Nah. That sounds shitty.

They did that last year.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
That was a joke.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
I think Mario is in great hands. For me Star Fox, F-Zero, and even Zelda could use a western approach.

Do they need a "Western" approach? What's wrong with letting Japanese developers do their own thing? What's next, you want Street Fighter, the Persona series, and Soul Calibur to be outsourced to Western developers?

If Japanese games keep getting outsourced to American studios, then there wouldn't be anything that makes them unique. They'd lose their distinct Japanese style.

What would you say if anime and manga were all outsourced to American cartoonists?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:25:32 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
Zelda needs a new approach period, whether that's a Western developer or a different Japanese one. The so-called Zelda Team needs a shot at something else, and the series needs a new shot of creativity.

In the same way I didn't initially want the Browns to draft Trent Richardson but now I think it's the best option, I've really warmed up to the idea of Retro doing Star Fox. First because I just want a new Star Fox game, but beyond that I don't think there's a team within Nintendo that could do a better job of it, and I think they've got the talent to revive the franchise with a bang.

F-Zero, if it happens at all, I'm convinced will be from Monster Games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »

Nintendo should just buy out:
  • Monster Games (ExciteTruck/Bots),
  • Next Level Games (Mario Strikers series, Punch Out Wii),
  • Good Feel (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land Shake it)
  • Grezzo (Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Four Swords DSiWare)
Each of these companies has primarily made games for Nintendo systems, and they've done a damn good job at updating classic Nintendo franchises.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »
Eh, Grezzo? They've re-relealsed two Zelda games and made Line Attack Heroes (whcih didn't look very good). I don't think they've proven themselves yet. The others I would be happy for Nintendo to make motions to acquire.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:58 AM »
I think Mario is in great hands. For me Star Fox, F-Zero, and even Zelda could use a western approach.

Do they need a "Western" approach? What's wrong with letting Japanese developers do their own thing? What's next, you want Street Fighter, the Persona series, and Soul Calibur to be outsourced to Western developers?

If Japanese games keep getting outsourced to American studios, then there wouldn't be anything that makes them unique. They'd lose their distinct Japanese style.

What would you say if anime and manga were all outsourced to American cartoonists?

Man your touchy. But to answer your question, those fighting games are fine as far as I'm concerned.

As wonderful as SS is, it does lack in the epic scope of things, and to be honest, creativity as well. The world is always coming to an end, and it never seems like anyone notices outside of MM. I liked that TP had a "big" town with lots of NPC's everywhere, even if you couldn't talk to half of them. But there is always like one major town, and 5 people living in every other town. I would love if the environments got a little more whimsical and creative. They are cool, but a little too bland and realistic half the time. Even Mario's realistic landscapes in Galaxy look beyond epic. The Zelda guys make locations too realistic despite the art style.

When I play Metroid Prime 1 and 2 I feel like there other things going on in the back ground despite not seeing it. Samus's actions have weight and to me the space pirates are really reacting to that. In Metroid Prime 3 Samus is back at the federation and I think "yeah, everyone is aware of all the amazing things she did. There is a real world out there." With Zelda I havn't got that feeling since MM and WW.

Retro would do wonders for Zelda, considering how they did Metroid. They would make it feel like Zelda and then add new and amazing things that just don't happen often with the current developers.

I mean I love flying! But why can't I fly over landscape and use my bird to interact with the world more? Special clouds the birds won't fly through is just BS to keep the game from being more fun. Retro would have done it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:29:34 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »

Not so sure about that. Soon after GX's release Shiggy lumped it in with Starfox Assault saying that letting third parties' hands on their franchises had less than pleasing results.

Starfox Assault I can understand, but FZGX? To this day I'm still not sure wether or not he's actually played GX or was just on something that particular day

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:22 AM »

Not so sure about that. Soon after GX's release Shiggy lumped it in with Starfox Assault saying that letting third parties' hands on their franchises had less than pleasing results.

Starfox Assault I can understand, but FZGX? To this day I'm still not sure wether or not he's actually played GX or was just on something that particular day

If they didnt release it darn near the same day as Soul Calibur 2 featuring Link I bet it would have performed better, making Miyamoto happier.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:12 AM »
^^^ ha ha, yes. Funny story about that, actually. When I went from shop to shop for GX, it was all "We don't have it yet, wanna buy Soul Calibur II instead?" across the board.

Which I of course did, but still

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2012, 02:50:53 AM »
I was so annoyed that I bought GX and just a few days later Nintendo added it to the Player's Choice list and dropping it from $50 to $20.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20