Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455722 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #875 on: May 20, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
Which they may not be, unfortunately.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 20, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
Even if they were working on a new Star Fox, the series has lost so much popularity that wouldn't be enough get a 4th slot in.  Franchise popularity during time of development is what determines what franchises get how many characters and right now, Star Fox doesn't have much compared to many of the others.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 20, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
If franchise popularity in and of itself were what determined it, there should be negative two characters from Ice Climber.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 20, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
If franchise popularity in and of itself were what determined it, there should be negative two characters from Ice Climber.

There are definitely exceptions, hahaha.

So anyone going to the tournament in LA? I plan to wait in line for my wrist band early in the morning and be there by 4pm. If Nintendo World Report is stuck at the actual convention center I can cover it for you all.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 20, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »
An official survey concerning the Smash E3 tournament.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HPMRWQ9

It asks for your favorite character. If you love me, you to will type in Ridley as I have. Pretty please?!

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 20, 2014, 11:24:49 PM »
I picked Wolf. I'm sorry. :(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 20, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »
I felt like being a jackass, so I voted for Slippy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #882 on: May 21, 2014, 12:18:04 AM »
Greninja or GTFO as far as I'm concerned.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 21, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
Alright who do I have to back hand to get some Ridley love around here?! I should smite the 3 of you into oblivion! Lucky for you I'm an honest, understanding, handsome man. >:(

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
I picked Lucas.  Gotta protect my main before I vote in newbies.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
I should smite the 3 of you into oblivion!

Hard to smite me into myself. ;D

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #886 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
Starfox adventures was horrible-
 www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPQ6nT4UpA 
Made you look ****.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 22, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
An official survey concerning the Smash E3 tournament.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HPMRWQ9

It asks for your favorite character. If you love me, you to will type in Ridley as I have. Pretty please?!

DONE!

You're welcome, you honest, understanding and handsome man!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »
After seeing the new screens and the redesigned Impa in Hyrule Warriors I am surprised we don't have her as a character in Smash (though that could be a future reveal).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
Impa might still make it in. And if so, I don't think she would be based on Hyrule Warriors. It might have been too late to use that game to draw moves from.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
You can probably get an Impa character unlock through her NFP figure...only $29.99 bundled with the Happy Mask Salesman and Hyrule Palace Guard #2.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 23, 2014, 03:07:17 AM »
I thought there was a chance they might cut Falco, and I suppose there still is, but now that Ike's confirmed to be in I'm a lot less confident in that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 23, 2014, 04:04:41 AM »
The fact Ike is returning pretty much guarantees none of the Star Fox characters are getting cut now.  This roster would have been decided during Summer 2012, when Awakening had sold over 400k in Japan, but hadn't had a Western release yet.  At this same time, Star Fox 64 3D sales were over 500k worldwide, so Star Fox and Fire Emblem would have been pretty similar in popularity when Sakurai was making his decisions.  If he decided at that time Fire Emblem would get 3 characters, then Star Fox is certainly keeping its 3 characters.

Also nice to see Ike with his Radiant Dawn design since it fits him as a heavy weight fighter better now.  My guess is since Marth is the lighter weight, faster swordsman, and Ike is the heavy weight, slow swordsman, Chrom will be the medium weight medium speed swordsman.

Of course I do like the idea of the My Unit character from Awakening being use to represent that game instead of Chrom.  Since the My Unit represents the player, that character could be considered the main character of Awakening as well.  If Sakurai decides that 3 blue haired sword users from Fire Emblem is too much, then the My Unit could be an interesting surprise with a Villager options to choose several different Male and Female designs.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 23, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
The fact Ike is returning pretty much guarantees none of the Star Fox characters are getting cut now.  This roster would have been decided during Summer 2012, when Awakening had sold over 400k in Japan, but hadn't had a Western release yet.  At this same time, Star Fox 64 3D sales were over 500k worldwide, so Star Fox and Fire Emblem would have been pretty similar in popularity when Sakurai was making his decisions.  If he decided at that time Fire Emblem would get 3 characters, then Star Fox is certainly keeping its 3 characters.
I'm not really seeing the correlation here and "pretty much guarantees" is a bold descriptor for what you're proposing. No offense, but you're basing this on extremely flimsy evidence. Bear in mind, I'm not saying Star Fox absolutely won't keep its three veteran characters. I just don't think we can use this character reveal as proof of anything except that Ike is playable.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #894 on: May 23, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
Mr. Sakurai is a shrewd man, who doesn't have much method to his madness! There's no telling who is getting an invitation to the roster!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #895 on: May 23, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Couldn't Link be your middleweight swordsman?

I also like the idea of the My Unit character being in the game for reasons stated above.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 23, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
Impa might still make it in. And if so, I don't think she would be based on Hyrule Warriors. It might have been too late to use that game to draw moves from.
They took music from mgs4 in brawl, that said if snake isn't confirmed at e3 he is out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 23, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
They took music from mgs4 in brawl, that said if snake isn't confirmed at e3 he is out.
What?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 23, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
Yahoo!!!!

"Toon Link is cut! He appears on the Spirit Tracks stage! He can't be playable, it wouldn't make any sense! Lucario is cut! He replaced Mewtwo and now the new Pokemon from Gen 5 or 6 will replace him! It just makes sense! Ike is cut! He replaced Roy and now Chrom will replace him! You have to watch the patterns! Besides he's not relevant anymore, he wouldn't make sense!"

Yeah boy! I love the cheering for Ike but I love the salt from the goons even more! Keep the unique move sets coming Sakurai!

Like i've been saying from the get go, expect pretty much everyone from Brawl. The only really questionable ones are Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake. I'm just not confident enough to to really judge Snake though because of Sakurai's relationship with Kojima.

Lucas will be back. Falco will be back. Wolf will be back. Mark my words and a 3rd Fire Emblem character will show up as well, most likely Chrome.

Also about Luigi Dude's sales/reps post there is somewhat of a relation. Sakurai does mention adding characters from games or series that made an impact. It's precisely why Sin and Punishment, Starfy and sadly Dillon's Rolling Western characters haven't been playable despite fitting in very well. Of course there is always an exception like Ice Climbers.

Star Fox has been in decline since forever but at one point it meant something and it has 3 fairly unique characters. While their specials are similar their normal and smash attacks are varied. Their animations and play styles are all very different and they have their fans. I don't think the Star fox count will get lowered at all.

With Fire Emblem Awakening doing better than ever and being very well received, I see justification for a 3rd(Chrome) and even a 4th(Roy) if time permits.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:44:34 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 23, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
I understand Marth's importance and why Roy was likely cut in Brawl, but I still really liked Roy, more than Marth in fact, and I definitely want him back on the roster.