Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455719 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #825 on: April 22, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »
That roster leak feels believable to me. There willl probably be one or two newcomers after Chrom, but those cuts make sense.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 22, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
They're definitely safe choices. I just don't believe anything got leaked, certainly not the character select screen.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
That leak, while a cool set up for the character screen is absolutely fake. Wario was pulled right out of Brawl and Ganondorf is a jacked up TP asset. Not to mention Captain Falcon looks really weird.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
That leak, while a cool set up for the character screen is absolutely fake. Wario was pulled right out of Brawl and Ganondorf is a jacked up TP asset. Not to mention Captain Falcon looks really weird.

Yep, it's even the first thing on his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganon

Plus I find funny about the leak is it's another Melee fanboy who thinks Wolf will get cut while Falco will stay.  Seriously, if any Star Fox character is getting cut it will be Falco first and formost.  Wolf has the more unique moveset of the two plus is helping to give the roster more diversity because he's a villain.  Any list that shows Falco staying while Wolf is cut pretty much confirms it's fake.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »
I think it is an even toss up between either one being cut if they even cut one of them. I don't think they worry too much about hero-villain ratio just as they do not care too much about man-woman-thing ratio.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
They did turn two female characters into four (three?) female characters, so they're padding out the numbers a bit.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
Oops, misread what you said. Sorry about that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #832 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
They did turn two female characters into four (three?) female characters, so they're padding out the numbers a bit.

I wouldn't call it "padding", per se.  They're spreading out 4 movesets to 4 characters.  If anything, that's a more accurate representation of the variety in the game.  Now, if Sakurai is doing this to make up for an otherwise shortened roster, then that's more like padding.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
In case you missed it: 128 new Smash Bros (Wii U) screens

Who can possibly complain about a pick of the day when we've been given over 300 extra picks in like 2 weeks time?

So anyone want to comment on my Ridley delusions?

Actually your post was very well thought out. Much more thought that I would have put into it, even if it was a character I'm obsessed with. You kinda have me hyped now, I really hope its true and I'm not a huge Ridely fan (in fact, I played Other M only last year and I don't remember a Ridley fight so..)

Also, on Zero Suit Samus:

Besides the sexist argument, please lets not go there again, yes the design is super dumb. I'm fine believing in rocket boots, maybe even shrunken down to at least a sole padding at the bottom of her feet, to keep the slim suit design on the calves. But heels? Really?

Seriously they could have gone cheap and added rocket pads or actual tiny rockets at her ankles if they didn't want to design a big tough looking boot for her to wear. Personally I don't think it would look fugly, hell I'd even want them to look like the Stompers from the Super Mario Bro.s movie.. but heels!?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:53:34 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 03, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
So big question guys.

What do you think of the possibility that Sakurai and the gang will purposely hold back a few characters on the 3DS version to bring more hype to the Wii U Smash release? I'm betting at least 4 months between releases and when the Wii U version comes out even more characters will be revealed that will be free DLC on the 3DS.

I'm sure there will be plenty of modes that will really separate the 2 versions but nothing says hype like new characters and I just don't see the whole roster being shown to us even before the Wii U version. Thoughts?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 03, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »
They could always have extra characters unlock in both games via connectivity, but offer the characters separately as downloadable content for those only purchasing one version.

This would complicate a season pass though maybe that's partially why Nintendo was so forthcoming with what was included in Mario Golf: World Tour's Season Pass. Since you'll know what you get and what you don't get before committing to a season pass, Nintendo can simply separate Season Pass characters from connectivity characters.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #836 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
You'd be gimping the 3DS version for a long time.  I'm sure they're will be some sort of connectivity bonus though.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 05, 2014, 02:32:14 AM »
You'd be gimping the 3DS version for a long time.  I'm sure they're will be some sort of connectivity bonus though.

Well the music options already show they have no problem gimping the 3DS version.  The 3DS stages only have 2 songs per stage while the Wii U version gets what will probably be around 5-10 songs per stage like Brawl did.  The music is a pretty big part of Smash Bros to the fans and yet they're giving the 3DS version less songs, despite the fact it could easily hold more as well.

Yeah, the characters are a bigger deal then the music but it does show they're not making both versions equal and have no problem giving the Wii U version clear advantages over the 3DS.  So making it that the 3DS version won't allow players to have the full roster until the Wii U version is released, isn't really that different considering they want the Wii U version be a better deal to the fans.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 05, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
Is it really a better deal (as it currently stands)? In terms of content, at very least, you get more songs in the Wii U version, but it also probably costs $20 more.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53:56 AM »
Is it really a better deal (as it currently stands)? In terms of content, at very least, you get more songs in the Wii U version, but it also probably costs $20 more.

Well to a huge fan of the music like myself it is.  Assuming the average stage in the Wii U version has around what the average stage in Brawl had, that's still around 3-5 times the amount of songs that the 3DS version will have.  So only $20 more for at least 3 times the amount of songs is a much better deal to me.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #840 on: May 06, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
And more of it will probably be orchestrated in the Wii U version, probably.

However, I don't think characters and songs really equate.  Besides, I'm sure Sakurai is packing the 3DS version with as many songs as possible.  Choosing the right character is everything in Smash, especially if you wanna be competitive.  It'd suck to play the game for months without your favorite character.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:52 AM »
The fewer amount of songs in the 3DS version probably has to do with the card size the game is using. I haven't checked in a while, but the largest card used to date was Resident Evil Revelaitons at 4 GB. All those songs could absolutely fit on a larger card, but I can see them aiming at 2 to 4 GB. In any case, it's entirely fair to consider the amount of songs included as part of a game's overall value. I won't argue that. For me, while I enjoy the music, value in a video game is primarily tied to interactive content.

Anyway...

Here's a major blow to The Wonderful Ones being playable (particularly Wonder-Red who had the best chance). I suppose one can argue that all playable characters have their own trophies, but no character, veteran or newcomer, has been announced for the new games as a trophy first. This is a shame as I was really hoping at least Wonder-Red would make it on the roster. On the bright side, this confirms Platinum Games' involvement. I would not be surprised to see Jack from Madworld as an Assist Trophy. More importantly, the door is still open for Bayonetta to be playable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:45:50 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
While the W101 would be an interesting set of characters especially with their abilities.  The problem being how they scale in battle since the whole concept is you get more powerful as you grow a team.

That being said they could make for some interesting assist items and I'm hoping that doesn't exclude them from an event or stage.  Those would be awesome.  Especially if the event had the W101 sheer over the top 'Yeah they did That' moments.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #843 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
Between Wii Fit Trainer and the Animal Crossing Villager, I'm sure Sakurai could've come up with something.

I'm thinking Bayonetta is in Smash.  Nintendo probably wants that cross marketing.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 07, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
The biggest problem for Wonder Red was the fact the roster for Smash Bros was probably finalized around Summer 2012 when development started, a year before his game was even released.  His game would have had to become such a success he reached Sonic levels of demand in order to be added last minute like Sonic was for Brawl.  So his chances for this Smash Bros were always pretty slim, even if The Wonderful 101 hadn't bombed.

Bayonetta at least had the Bayonetta 2 announcement made long before development was started and she's from an already established franchise that does have a nice following to it.  Her first game did better then any Mother game and most of the Fire Emblem's so it's not like she's from a series too niche for Smash Bros.  The only problem I still see for her is how extreme her character can be and how much they'd be willing to tone down without it ruining her appeal in the process.

But at least her chances are still much better then Wonder Red's ever were.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 07, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
I know now why you cry.
WonderRed, the dream is dead.
I ask Sakurai why?
My heart is lead and sinks to dread
For Metroid's dragon sky
His wings spread not and fight no days
Silent frozen stare always.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 07, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
Everytime I see Samus's rocket boots I think of Bayonetta. There is no problem toning a character down as they did that for Snake in the last title.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 16, 2014, 03:13:46 AM »

Yep, it happened.  Not only does Villager have a female alternate custom, but he even gets an alternate male custom as well that chances his model up instead of being simply color changes.  If they're willing to change up the existing Male Villagers model for an alternate custom, then that's a good sign other characters will get customs like that as well like Mario getting a Dr. Mario alt, or even Marth getting a Lucina alt.  The dream is still alive.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »
Saw this earlier. Very happy. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »
I want to say something that can adequately capture my excitement for the possibility of multiple alternate costumes for all characters, but the only thing I can come up with is, "Soon I will have a new apprentice, one far younger and more powerful."