Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455683 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
Sheriff came to mind as well. But how will he deal with the guns? No guns at all and sticks of dynamite or something?

If they leave his character model looking similar to how it looked in the original game and how his Melee trophy looked where he's just a few pixels it could work.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Sheriff_%28character%29

This way the gun won't look anything close to realistic and will shoot pixels lines out which will allow his gun to be OK to certain countries ratings boards as well as the character maintaining his WTF factor like Game and Watch and ROB.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
Besides Sheriff, are there any other old obscure characters that could fit this bill?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Maybe Stanley from Donkey Kong 3?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
There's also the Sky Skipper.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Sky_Skipper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hG6Z-kHw9I

Probably the most obscure Nintendo related older videogame character since the game was never popular and hasn't been mentioned since except for a very small cameo in the Gameboy Camera.  Sheriff and Stanley at least got trophies in Melee and games featured in Wario Ware.  Sky Skipper is about as forgotten as possible.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »

Shulk, Little Mac, Sukapon, Saki, Ray, and Sheriff. These 6 I believe are the most likely to be represented as a new series. If Sheriff stay's pixelated like G&W he would work, though I certainly would love a modern update to him. The only problem with that is i'm assuming he would have evolved with realistic guns. Unless... he can make the pistols from the old western look fairly cartoony. I could deal with that.

I am generous towards Star Fox, and Fire Emblem getting 4 characters but I certainly would not be surprised.

Goroh, Ridley, Dixie and K Rool I think are the most deserving of all. Lot's of relevance in their respective series, and basically the last stars to shoot for from an older series.

Sakurai really needs to do something with the 2nd Link and Ganondorf. How nice would it be if they got completely unique move sets? Other than that, I can't see Tingle making it in or any other villian, though I would personally love Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask.

Palutena and Bowser Jr, just seem like the only choices for Mario and Kid Icarus new comers.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
I'd love to see Shulk added in, and I will once again throw in the potential for Ghirahim. Sheik has only appeared in one game, and Ghirahim was a fun enough villain to warrant his own spot in the roster. I think a lot of cool stuff could be done with him.

Agree with Bowser Junior, but not too keen on Palutena. I think Hades or Viridi would be a better choice, personally.

In addition, has anyone from this board been following the progress of Project M, the mission to alter Brawl into a more Melee-esque game? The engine's been altered and many characters have had their movesets changed, mostly all for the better. It's a very cool project, free to play, and insanely easy to download to your Wii, even if you don't have a hacked version... just don't get too attached to those custom stages.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:27:22 AM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2012, 01:45:42 AM »
I can never get into hacks like that when it isn't the official game. If I really loved it and got any good at it, I would always feel empty that in an official tourny it wouldn't play like that.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »
I can never get into hacks like that when it isn't the official game. If I really loved it and got any good at it, I would always feel empty that in an official tourny it wouldn't play like that.

Agreed. I don't really care about hacking games and hardware. It's completely pointless and ruins the developers' ambition when creating the game.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
I freaking love Project M.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »
I've been playing Brawl+ for the longest time. So much better than the original Brawl - in fact, I'm hosting a Brawl+ tourney at my apartment tonight. Gonna have about 12 participants... should be a blast.

Don't be afraid to mod your game, guys. Brawl has so much more potential...if you'll just let it be unlocked.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »
If these guys are spending all their time hacking and modifying Brawl to suit their needs, then why don't they just utilize their talents better and open up their own game studio and create a game from scratch?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »
If these guys are spending all their time hacking and modifying Brawl to suit their needs, then why don't they just utilize their talents better and open up their own game studio and create a game from scratch?
Well, they potentially could. But Project M is so good that Sakurai would be wise to recruit the team for Smash Bros. Wii U. It's far superior to Brawl as a competitive vehicle and the movesets are far more likable. You don't even need to hack your Wii to use it, it's almost like an expansion pack.

IMO.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Wow...Project M sounds pretty cool.

I am still sad nobody said Jill from Drill Doser should be in th next Smash game.  I really want to play with her...and her move set could be awesome.  I would love an attack that could drill through walls. 

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2012, 01:41:12 AM »
Seriously though: Project M is the best mod for Brawl ever made, and the most supported. Demo 2 came out last week and would be completely occupying my time if it wasn't for Xenoblade.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
Wow...Project M sounds pretty cool.

I am still sad nobody said Jill from Drill Doser should be in th next Smash game.  I really want to play with her...and her move set could be awesome.  I would love an attack that could drill through walls. 

I've mentioned Jill countless times in the past. She's an assist trophy in Brawl... but I would LOVE for her to become playable in the next Smash!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
Stanley from DK3 sounds awesome...he can have bug spray that does random effects on the players...making them slower, faster, jump lower, or lose strength...it could be a fun meta-game. 

Also I still want Bomberman.  He deserves to be in the second best party multiplayer game around...second to his game of course.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:02 AM »
Also I still want Bomberman.  He deserves to be in the second best party multiplayer game around...second to his game of course.

He would be a great fit for the series but Konami killed Hudson, so poor Bomberman has no chance of ever appearing in a Smash Bros now.  Konami has shown no interest in Hudsons IP's so they're not going to lobby for him like they did for Snake and I doubt they'll be enough fans demanding him to make Sakurai want him like he did for Sonic.

Hell unless someone buys the IP from Konami I doubt we'll even see a real Bomberman ever again. :'(

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »
Unless, Sakurai is a big Bomberman fan...or someone on his team is.  I am quite depressed about the fate of Bomberman actually...it was a great series, that should of and could of always been more. 

I dunno why someone didn't make a Bomberman Party game...that took different multiplayer vs modes that Bomberman could have and create fun mini games around it.  5-6 simple and fun verse modes would have made a killer download game.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
I think Bomberman is a good fit for Nintendo to acquire for most of the reasons that Spak said. A good, downloadable party game would be a really sweet way to launch the Wii U eShop, plus it adds to the IPs that Sakurai could use for SSB (if he added Sonic last minute, he can do Bomberman) and maybe even add a series Nintendo could work on for the 3DS. You can never have too much new software on that thing!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »
I really wish a company like Nintendo would look into the vaults of classic video game characters that have disappeared because of licensing or companies failing...and seeing if they could buy those IPs...or license them for exclusives on their systems. 

There are many characters, mascots, stories, from the 8 bit and 16 bit systems that are just legacy characters that feel like Nintendo characters more than anything else. 

I feel it would be a great investment to obtain these IPs and revive them slowly...they could be like new IPs in some cases.  But it would also be a huge plus for a game like Smash Bros.  I would love to see characters like Mega Man classic, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman in Smash Brothers.  They represent an era for Nintendo...and in gaming.

To me Smash Bros franchise is a series based on the love of Nintendo and classic gaming.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
Would it be a great investment? Nintendo only has so many teams which are all working on Nintendo IPs. People are complaining that Nintendo doesn't make enough new IPs so picking up others companies' scraps makes this even harder to fathom. You could argue that reviving those old franchises would be like introducing new IPs but it's really not. They're dormant for a reason and reintroducing them to a modern audience is more trouble than it's worth. Nintendo has 2 better alternatives: makes something brand new or revive their own dormant IPs.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Depends on the franchises picked up...and how Nintendo revived them.  New IPs are quite difficult to create, and there is no guarantee that the new IP will pick up an audience.  However, there is already an audience and fan base for some of these neglected IPs.  Of course I am not talking about picking up every IP...just choice IPs.  And bringing them up to the forefront again with a game like Smash Brothers is a great idea.

I would love to see what Nintendo could do with Adventure Island, Bonk,  Bomberman, Stryder, Mega Man, ect...and I know Nintendo has limited resources, but they could also outsource the games being created, with Producer Supervision from their directors. 

It is just a thought...and perhaps not the best one, but if people are all talking about Nintendo buying Sega for the IPs...because Nintendo could make a better Sonic, who is to say Nintendo can't make a better, Shinobi...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »
3 things regarding Sega:

1. Buying Sega is a little different than picking and choosing select IPs from the vaults of a variety of companies because of the history between Sega and Nintendo in the 1990s.

2. I think it would have been far more beneficial to pick them up 10 years ago when they still had some artistic integrity. That way, it wouldn't have been Nintendo trying to make Sega games, it would be Sega making Sega games with Nintendo's support and guidance. Imagine Miyamoto checking in and telling them that something doesn't work and giving them permission to delay the game instead of Sega just rushing a broken product to market. Even with personnel departures, Sega wouldn't have had 10 years to make many of their franchises into punchlines.

3. If Nintendo were to just go shopping for Sega's IPs, even today, I would prefer they bought Sega's entire catalog. Making a Nintendo vs. Sega Smash Bros. game wouldn't be the same if Nintendo was missing IPs.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
Unless, Sakurai is a big Bomberman fan...or someone on his team is.  I am quite depressed about the fate of Bomberman actually...it was a great series, that should of and could of always been more. 

I dunno why someone didn't make a Bomberman Party game...that took different multiplayer vs modes that Bomberman could have and create fun mini games around it.  5-6 simple and fun verse modes would have made a killer download game.

Ever play Bomberman Blitz on DSiWare? It's kind of like what you're referring to, with the bonus of online multiplayer.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:52 AM »
IGN has a recent interview with Sakurai on the game. He is really pushing connectivity. What can really be done?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1223770p1.html

Edit

I guess I was due for another face palm.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:10:35 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn