Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3165748 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #3225 on: December 08, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
Well according to Nintendo and other sources Wii sold 800,000 units in the US during Thanksgiving/Black Friday week alone looks like there will be a lot more of this in December:

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: December 08, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
BTW, Animal Crossing wasn't "preying on the ignorance of the new market", they clearly said it's a core game, i.e. they expect the old market to buy it.

It's preying on the ignorance of the new market in the sense that the new market doesn't know enough to recognize it as the rehash that it is.  They lack the historical context that the supposedly "biased" gaming media has.  Nintendo really doesn't even need to try at this point because the new market just doesn't know any better.  The gaming media knows better, and that's why they're hard on Nintendo.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3227 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
1,365,476 is how many Wiis were sold during Black Friday Worldwide.
803,956 was sold in the US.
515,137 was sold in the Others.
46,383 was sold in Japan.
The 360 was the closest competeter with 800,140 sold worldwide.
PSP sold 455,490 worldwide beating out the PS3 which sold  402,641.

The Wii is sitting at 39 Million with 48.3 percent of the market.360 has 24.23 with 30 percent.The PS3 has 17.57 mil with 21.7 percent.

In the handheld playing field the DS has 88.95 mil and 68.6% and the PSP has 40.73 million and 31.4% of that pie.

How much did the SNES sell?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: December 08, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
I think it's a foregone conclusion that the DS will become the best selling game system of all time.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: December 08, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »
I think it's a foregone conclusion that the DS will become the best selling game system of all time.

Well, until the DS2 comes out, anyway.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: December 08, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »
(worldwide black friday sales are pointless because the day is nothing special outside the US)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: December 08, 2008, 05:44:49 PM »
I don't know if you can call it a conspiracy but there's been a definite line of hate directed at Nintendo since Sony came on the scene from everyone involved in video games: Developers, publishers, magazines, reviewers. Hell, all you have to do is look at last generation and you can see it clear as day. XBox barely outsells GameCube while MS loses BILLIONS of dollars and yet it's looked at as being a massive success while Nintendo is considered dead in the water. I don't care that public opinion of the GC was that it was an inferior system even when compared to the PS2 since developers knew different but what does infuriate me is that whenever a game was multiplatform and scheduled to appear on all 3 consoles developers would port the PS2 version to the GC, and make it look WORSE! Why? It would have been easier to port the XBox version down than to port the PS2 version up as the GC was almost neck-in-neck with the XBox and light years ahead of the PS2.

And now you have developers refusing to make Wii games because they say that they'd basically have to make 2 games? One for the PS3/360 and one for Wii? Why would that be a problem? They did that last generation anyway whenever a game was released on the PS2 and the XBox. If anyone doesn't actually believe that they had to put in a ton of effort to get a game to run on those two very different systems they're fooling themselves. Besides, the cost of making a Wii version, even if they had to start from scratch which we all know they wouldn't have to, would be so negligible that there shouldn't even be an issue with making it. But again, no port for the GC even though it would have been super easy and cheap to do and no port for Wii even though it alone controls almost 50% of the home console industry.

I'm sorry but conspiracy those may not be but they certainly do sound like someone (EVERYONE) is holding a grudge.

As for reviews, it's been stylish to bash Nintendo for not sucking up to gamers like Sony and MS do and that's certainly never going to change. Not until game reviewers get some integrity at least.

This is false Lindy. What about PC versions of games that look noticeably better yet get the same score? Your logic has to work both ways and it doesn't. There is also an extreme bias against certain kinds of games, such as, let's say a trivia game. It can be the best, most polished trivia game around but it will never receive a great score. One game that comes to mind is Order Up, while it received solid scores it should have gotten far better because of what it did for the genre and that it was a POLISHED title.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »
Seems like some of you guys are falling into the trap of assuming that everyone wants the same game experiance as you. It is very plausible that someone would have a much better experiance with the crappy wii version of call of duty than with the super fancy hi def version of it. I've seen that to be true. Judge that game for what it is and not for what you want it to be. Every game on wii isn't immediately worse because of it's power limitations, they're only worse if you don't take them for what they are. You're painting this broad brush that if a game is on both platforms them obviously the wii version sucks point blank end of story.  It's like saying a traditionally hand drawn and animated movie is a worse experiance than a fancy new CGI movie. That just doesn't fly at all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:47:04 PM by MaleficentOgre »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: December 08, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
Seems like some of you guys are falling into the trap of assuming that everyone wants the same game experiance as you. It is very plausible that someone would have a much better experiance with the crappy wii version of call of duty than with the super fancy hi def version of it. I've seen that to be true. Judge that game for what it is and not for what you want it to be. Every game on wii isn't immediately worse because of it's power limitations, they're only worse if you don't take them for what they are. You're painting this broad brush that if a game is on both platforms them obviously the wii version sucks point blank end of story.  It's like saying a traditionally hand drawn and animated movie is a worse experiance than a fancy new CGI movie. That just doesn't fly at all.

Good point. Personally if I did not have a good PC I would really have to think about which version of, let's say, CoD: WaW because I cannot stand analog control in FPS games, I'd much rather use a mouse, or in the Wii's case point functionality.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:46 PM »
BTW, Animal Crossing wasn't "preying on the ignorance of the new market", they clearly said it's a core game, i.e. they expect the old market to buy it.

It's preying on the ignorance of the new market in the sense that the new market doesn't know enough to recognize it as the rehash that it is.  They lack the historical context that the supposedly "biased" gaming media has.  Nintendo really doesn't even need to try at this point because the new market just doesn't know any better.  The gaming media knows better, and that's why they're hard on Nintendo.

Kind of like MGS4 and how they used their objective lens to give MGS4 a 10 for its non-rehashed brilliance. The fact is that Animal Crossing is a great game for people who have never played it before. For one it is a big step ahead of the first AC on GC and while it shares many similarities with the DS version, the fact it can be played at home while relaxing is a great feature for both old and new gamers. Chances are that many of these new Wii owners may not even own a DS, so why not get it on Wii? It is charming game that is still one of a kind even if they haven't innovated it much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: December 08, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
I'm not buying another AC game until I see more dramatic improvements/enhancements. I bought the version for GC and the one for DS and I noticed only a marginal improvement at best. From what I see of the Wii version it is also only a tiny improvement.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: December 08, 2008, 11:20:20 PM »
This reminds me of a line from the movie Stage Beauty pertaining to the plays of Shakespeare...

"There are no new plays, only new audiences."

1,365,476 is how many Wiis were sold during Black Friday Worldwide.
803,956 was sold in the US.
515,137 was sold in the Others.
46,383 was sold in Japan.
The 360 was the closest competeter with 800,140 sold worldwide.
PSP sold 455,490 worldwide beating out the PS3 which sold  402,641.

The Wii is sitting at 39 Million with 48.3 percent of the market.360 has 24.23 with 30 percent.The PS3 has 17.57 mil with 21.7 percent.

Are those numbers from VGchartz Maxi?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3237 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:30 AM »
Yes Kairon those are.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: December 09, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »
Yes Kairon those are.

Ah. Thought so. It's going to be exciting to see when Wii passes the 50% mark. A long time ago I predicted a sort of mid-to-late 2009 date for the Wii hitting 50% of the market, but it really seems like I've been far too conservative in my estimates if VGChartz guesstimates it at already 48.3%.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3239 on: December 09, 2008, 01:31:35 AM »
I agreed with that time frame. So I am gonna be estatic when it reaches 50%

I asked this earlier.How much did the SNES sell worldwide?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: December 09, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
Ummm.... I can't remember where I read this but I think about 60 million worldwide? Count that as a guess, not as a fact, sorry. More than the N64 and less than the NES?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: December 09, 2008, 03:01:32 AM »
Yes Kairon those are.

Ah. Thought so. It's going to be exciting to see when Wii passes the 50% mark. A long time ago I predicted a sort of mid-to-late 2009 date for the Wii hitting 50% of the market, but it really seems like I've been far too conservative in my estimates if VGChartz guesstimates it at already 48.3%.

I'm still waiting for the Kairon's "Three Console Tie"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: December 09, 2008, 03:07:19 AM »
Yes Kairon those are.

I'm still waiting for the Kairon's "Three Console Tie"

Ulp. Is this something from my past? What did I say in my profligate youth?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:31 AM »
I agreed with that time frame. So I am gonna be estatic when it reaches 50%

I asked this earlier.How much did the SNES sell worldwide?

Wikipedia is your friend, dude:

"Market share

49.10 million Super NES units were sold worldwide, with 23.35 million of those units sold in the Americas and 17.17 million in Japan.[1] Although it could not quite repeat the success of the NES, which sold 61.91 million units worldwide,[1] the Super NES was the best-selling console of its era. The Mega Drive/Genesis came in second with 29 million sold worldwide,[76][77][78] and the TurboGrafx-16 was third with 10 million sold worldwide.[79]"

is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: December 09, 2008, 03:27:32 AM »
It is probably worth noting that not only has the Wii already surpassed the Gamecube's LTD sales; it has also surpassed the N64's LTD sales as well!

According to Wikipedia:

The North American launch on September 29 1996 ended with 500,000 N64 units sold in the first four months.[8] Benimaru Itoh, a developer for EarthBound 64 and friend of Shigeru Miyamoto, speculated in 1997 that the N64's lack of popularity in Japan was due to the lack of role-playing video games.[9] As of March 31 2005, the N64 had sold 5.54 million units in Japan, 20.63 million in the Americas, and 6.75 million in other regions, for a total of 32.93 million units.[10][2]

The system was frequently marketed as the world's first 64-bit gaming system. A few years prior, Atari claimed to have made the first 64-bit game console with their Atari Jaguar; however, the Jaguar actually only used a 64-bit RISC architecture "Object Processor" and a 64-bit RISC "Blitter" in conjunction with two 32-bit processors and a 16-bit Motorola 68000.

At 39 million, the Wii has to sell another 10 million to beat the Super NES LTD sales, but I think they will probably do that by the end of this fiscal year.

I also believe that in a year or two the Wii will have surpassed even the original NES, and it will have become Nintendo's most popular console of all time. I'm not sure if it can beat the PS2's LTD, though, and beating the PS2 will be difficult because the PS2 isn't actually even dead yet...
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: December 09, 2008, 03:31:50 AM »
Hmm...looks like I mistook the SNES for the NES.

I agree with wondering about whether the Wii will ultimately beat PS2 install base, but at least it's tracking ahead of PS2 sales numbers in most/all markets. The question is whether the Wii will last as long.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: December 09, 2008, 03:52:26 AM »
Hmm...looks like I mistook the SNES for the NES.

I agree with wondering about whether the Wii will ultimately beat PS2 install base, but at least it's tracking ahead of PS2 sales numbers in most/all markets. The question is whether the Wii will last as long.

My guess is that it won't because the Wii is a different kind of system with what (may) be a shorter lifespan because of the hardware. We'll see though, so far the Wii is showing how stupid all of us are at analyzing stuff!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: December 09, 2008, 03:55:56 AM »
Well a significant portion of PS2 sales were replacements for faulty units. Obviously it still sold very well but that's something to consider.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: December 09, 2008, 04:03:33 AM »
Well a significant portion of PS2 sales were replacements for faulty units. Obviously it still sold very well but that's something to consider.

It's a comforting argument for sales-obsessed fanbois like me, but it can never be proven or quantified. T_T

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: December 09, 2008, 04:09:44 AM »
There is enough anecdotal evidence around to give credence to the multiple PS2s per gamer theory. We all know people who have owned several units.