Author Topic: Controlling Shooters on Revolution. A Thesis  (Read 11954 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Controlling Shooters on Revolution. A Thesis
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2005, 04:41:24 PM »
I think distinguishing between "rough movements" and gine adjustments would be more annoying than a shift key, personally.  
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2005, 07:44:38 PM »
I have only gone over some posts quickly. But here is a thought the controller is nothing more than the physical interface into a game. The developer of a game ultimatly decides on how the movement of the controller translates into the gaming world he is making. So all the ideas I have read so far the controller is able to do.

Just to add to the confusion, I have read that the Revolution will be able to detect the player doing a twisting motion with the controller, I have been thinking about how that can be seamlessly intergrated into a game. I finally came up with a sniper scope, when you are in a FPS and using a sniper scope the twisting motion could zoom in or out depending on which way you twist the controller.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2005, 02:15:04 AM »
Why twist when you can simply push the controller forward to zoom in?  Pull it back out to zoom out, perfecto!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »
What about picking a lock or gunning a throttle?

Anyway, it's a good control scheme Rabicle. I remember way back when when I was described playing with essentially two NRC's in a FPS.  While I think your control scheme is that sh*t (it's basically GoldenEye on crack), I'd rather use two NRC's then a nunchuck style NRC.

Think about it. It could use your control scheme, but instead, use the gyros to determine how high or low you want to look (just tilt the controller up to look up and vice versa).

Or you could even map the camera (your head) to the left controller with relative settings, map the gun with absolute to the right controller, then map the movement to any D-pad or both (strafe on one controller, forward/backward on another).

It could be halariously intuitive or horribly aggravating. If intuitive, you could finally play with one hand (good thing?). More importantly, it could make way to a whole slew of new genre-breaking features.

Those included could be: *NOTE* Camera NRC means the NRC with relative controls. Absolute NRC means exactly that.

1. "Attaching" a second gun to the Camera NRC, with the aiming circle fixed to the center of the screen as with most FPS's today. This could allow you to shoot two different enemies.

2. Driving and shooting at the same time.

3. Having your primary gun attached to the Camera NRC, and an item to your absolute NRC. The item could be a shield that you can have complete control over. You could realistically cover your part of the body that is taking fire. You could even swing your shield to melee, or deflect a grenade. Other items could be anything; ranging from a sword to a flashlight.

And that's just the beginning....
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:Controlling Shooters on Revolution. A Thesis
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
relative means that it's like an analog stick, holding it in one position keeps the velocity constant. With absolute controls holding it in one position will keep the position constant.

All I know is that Kohler said that he wasnt even thinking how the remote was doing it,  Samus was doing exactly what he wanted to do, so maybe its not that bad. Its probably a mix of both relative and absolute positioning for all I know, like absolute while you are onscreen relative when you are off screen or something along those lines.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2005, 09:34:09 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
relative means that it's like an analog stick, holding it in one position keeps the velocity constant. With absolute controls holding it in one position will keep the position constant.

All I know is that Kohler said that he wasnt even thinking how the remote was doing it,  Samus was doing exactly what he wanted to do, so maybe its not that bad. Its probably a mix of both relative and absolute positioning for all I know, like absolute while you are onscreen relative when you are off screen or something along those lines.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »
Whats to stop FPS's from using the arcade idea of shooting off screen to reload?  Or maybe pointing the remote straight down or straight up?  Some simple movement could be to reload.

Other ideas:  If anyone has ever used mouse-gestures on the Opera or Firefox (personally, I use and love Opera) web browsers, you know that by holding a button down and performing a simple movement, moving right, moving down, moving down and then right, can act like very fast short cuts in web browsing.  There's no reason that this couldn't be done in games as well.  Hold a button down on the remote-like controller and move it in a certain direction to select menus, specific items, or set each direction as if it were a hotkey.  That would be great for strategy games.  Group your units with the pointer and then make a "controller-gesture" instead of using a precious button, to set them to that gesture.

I'm sure you all can think of many more ideas for doing something like this, it just hit me so I thought I'd throw it in there.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2005, 07:30:53 AM »
An attachment like this would solve virtually any shooter compatibility issues

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=157024#

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2005, 07:40:22 AM »
Oy, looks interesting.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile