Author Topic: Zelda TWW for someone who hasn't played Zelda since the original NES?  (Read 8400 times)

Offline sledgmb

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
hi all.  bought a gamecube last week.  i gotta say, i LOVE metroid prime.  i haven't played any metroid before except the original on NES and i never beat the original.  but i'm loving prime.  that being said, i haven't played a zelda title since the original on NES.  i loved that game though - i beat it multiple times.  would i like TWW or has too much happened in the story line since for me to really get into it?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Zelda TWW for someone who hasn't played Zelda since the original NES?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 12:58:22 PM »
Oh, of course you'll enjoy it, even if you haven't a played a Zelda game since the original. Hell, the game's a blast even if you haven't played any Zelda game, although you'll enjoy it a lot better if you've at least played Ocarina of Time. I say that not only because Ocarina of Time is one of the best videogames ever made (my favorite until Wind Waker ), but Wind Waker makes a large amount of references to Ocarina of Time and it really improves the experience if you know what they're talking about.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 01:16:35 PM »
i have to agree with mouse_clicker here
the game is just plain good but its better enjoyed with knowing the story behind ocarina of time
but to be honest- wind waker isnt just one of the best zelda games (my favorite in the series), it is also one of the best games of all time
the opening to wind waker gives you an idea of ocarina, but you should play ocarina some time
the only problem people complain about in wind waker is the boat traveling- it takes awile to find your way around
but i enjoy that- i love doing the side quests and traveling in zelda- its alot of fun
and that is what it all comes down to- fun
and zelda is fun- its hard to put down and stop playing
oh and the graphics are just plain awesome to look at and the effects are great (huge draw distance, blurred affects, cel-shading)
as you can probably see i love zelda and i think that along with prime it is the best game the gamecube has to offer
i call the big one bitey.

Offline sledgmb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 01:24:52 PM »
is the link to the gameboy advance necessary for real enjoyment of this game?

was ocarina released on n64?  i don't have an n64 and couldn't get access to that game if i decided i wanted to try it.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 01:32:08 PM »
You can open up some fun extras and allow a second player to join in using the GBA, but it's not necessary and doesn't detract from the overall game experience. I'm not using the Tingle connection now; I'll probably wait until I complete the game, then see what extras I can unlock.
Oh, and in case you've been living under a rock, Ocarina of Time was released on a special Gamecube disc. You could only get it if your pre-ordered Wind Waker, but if you're lucky, you might find a copy for cheap on eBay, or if you're VERY lucky, you might find a store that still has a copy or two.

Offline sledgmb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 01:36:59 PM »
i haven't been living under a rock - i just never paid nintendo much attention until i bought a gamecube last thursday.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 02:02:16 PM »
Well I hope you'll be paying a lot more attention to them now, especially since this is one of their primes.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 02:06:55 PM »
I haven't played Wind Waker yet (should be receiving it soon. . . or else. . .), but while the other games are awesome, they're probably not necessary.  I agree with the others.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 03:25:55 PM »
I can't imagine who wouldn't like Wind Waker to be honest.  There are people out there who claim that they don't like it, but MOST of them are PS2 or Xbox fans so biased they can't see past their own nose, or people who haven't played or finished it.

Personally though, I am not done yet, and I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 04:58:05 PM »
For me, Wind Waker is one of the few games of the last decade to really remind me of the powers of great games.  It's certainly filled with that undeniable sense of awe and exploration that makes Zelda so wonderful.  It's a world of mysteries, and there's no pressure to hurry about anything.  You can spend hours just charting the ocean, if you want, or you can embark on one of the myriad subquests or actually send the storyline (a story more vast and fulfilling than anything in any past Zelda, by far) on it's merry and extremely clever way.

Sailing in Wind Waker is, for me, like the first time I lifted off the ground in Super Mario 3 or Mario 64, and up there  with other great gaming moments like seeing the opening cinematic of Final Fantasy 6 or playing Gunstar Heroes for the first time.  It's not just an extension of Ocarina of Time, it's a full-bodied game that perfects Ocarina's framework and then takes a stark departure from that game's agenda.

People decry Nintendo's reliance on sequels, but when they make sequels this NEW and satisfying and flat-out fun, they prove that the best sequels aren't sequels at all, but unique and singular accomplishments with the added bonus of nostalgia and familiarity.  And with Wind Waker, Nintendo also proves, with a hugely popular entertainment, that there's truly more truth in fiction than fact, and when you begin to mistake the cartoon ocean for a real one, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 06:14:53 PM »
The sequel argument bugs me. There are only so many game genres out there, and its not as though the story every really matters a great deal. Sure, Nintendo could create a totally new fantasy and platformer franchise, but what would be the point?  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 08:17:05 PM »
Man I totally agree with Sean, this game is one of those games that just has a magical touch that grabs you and beats the $hit out of you untill you are hooked, and thats why this one is an epic game.

Also I love this game and the last zelda game i played was "a link to the past", well actually i did borrow ocarina of time from a friend but i got stuck in the very beginning and never played it again then i got the bonus disk thing and i played the game to its fullest. I also own a Ps2 and ever since the release of Zelda WW my Ps2 has been sitting at my friends house and I dont even care to pick it up at all, heck I don't think I'm going to be getting another Ps2 game period.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2003, 03:02:19 AM »
While Wind Waker is the best game out there on pretty much any plattform, I have to say, its not as good as Zelda OOT was back then, but that games glory probably wont be surpassed ever.
LZ 2005

Offline sledgmb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2003, 03:07:41 AM »
What was so groundbreaking about Zelda OOT that someone would praise it so highly?  Was it the graphics?  Engrossing sory?  Gameplay?  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 03:39:35 AM »

I can't imagine who wouldn't like Wind Waker to be honest. There are people out there who claim that they don't like it, but MOST of them are PS2 or Xbox fans so biased they can't see past their own nose, or people who haven't played or finished it

I know a few people who arent fans of WW, I myself loved it at first but have grown bored with it, my wife feels the same way.
Just doesnt suit my tastes, I much prefer a good FPS.

To say everyone who doesnt like WW is because they are a biased x-box or PS2 fanboy is a very biased statement itself.
Games are all about taste. You like it, great for you, but it doesnt make you any more right than someone who doesnt like it.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2003, 04:11:52 AM »
Sledgmb, if you have they to cop the Windwaker,just go to a store that still has the bonus disc and get em both. Ocarina of Time is dope, I never had it on N64 so you can imagine my consternation that I missed out on such a great game 4, 5 years back, but I have thouroughly enjoyed plaing through it and it really gets the thumbs in shape for what comes along in the Wind Waker. Wal-Mart, and Best Buy in my neck of the woods still have the bonus disc available so hunt around, well worth it.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2003, 05:31:44 AM »

Originally posted by: sledgmb
would i like TWW or has too much happened in the story line since for me to really get into it?
The only background story you need is the stuff that happened in Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo64.  So here it is:

A man named Ganandorf was born in the land of Hyrule.  He craved power and sought to obtain the three triangle shaped pieces known as the Triforce.  Along comes a little fairy boy named Link who is enlisted by a little girl named Princess Zelda to stop Ganandorf.  Yada yada yada... Link beats the crap out of Ganandorf, locks him into another dimension, and all is well in Hyrule.

That's it.  That's all the backstory you need to understand the Wind Waker.  If you want more details, you can always pick up the Ocarina of Time for GameCube (ebay.com has them) and play it yourself. :-)

Troy (Sidles off)

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2003, 05:31:45 AM »

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 05:31:51 AM »
I think the reason I like Ocarina more than WW is because Ocarina is the BEGINNING of the story.  It has the original characters, with an elaborate kingdom of varied races, and all the background information about the Triforces and the goddesses that originally created them.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 07:11:01 AM »
damn theaveng...i feel so sorry for you...how long have you been havign that problem...that would suck to have it post three times when you dont want it to.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2003, 08:51:48 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

I can't imagine who wouldn't like Wind Waker to be honest. There are people out there who claim that they don't like it, but MOST of them are PS2 or Xbox fans so biased they can't see past their own nose, or people who haven't played or finished it

I know a few people who arent fans of WW, I myself loved it at first but have grown bored with it, my wife feels the same way.
Just doesnt suit my tastes, I much prefer a good FPS.

To say everyone who doesnt like WW is because they are a biased x-box or PS2 fanboy is a very biased statement itself.
Games are all about taste. You like it, great for you, but it doesnt make you any more right than someone who doesnt like it.

Which is why I wrote the word MOST in big capital letters, because I assumed someone wouldn't take the time to read it thoroughly, and some idiot would start flaming me.  When someone writes in caps, they are usually trying to emphasize something, or are an AOL user.  In this case it's the former.  Please read posts before commenting on them.  Thanks.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2003, 09:25:52 AM »
Ninja

I would think that number of people who dislike a certain game only because it is on a rival system is less than 5%, where the number of people who like a certain game only because it is on their favorite system is more like 70%.

So in your case I find the word MOST to be inappropriate.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2003, 10:45:15 AM »
Not entirely true.  I've seen Xbox fanboys converted by this one game, even when they were protesting the graphics and saying how kiddy and crappy it was, before they played it.  And again I have to wait yet another day for this game.  I'm want to cuss so bad now.  Walmarts #1 on my hit list now.  Every damn employee.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2003, 11:06:53 AM »
Even some Gamecube owners refuse to play Wind Waker for fear of looking "g a y". I swear to god, this is an actual quote from a friend of mine, who is a huge Zelda fan:

"If Wind Waker was any kiddier, it'd be a Gameboy Advance game."

Offline sledgmb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2003, 11:28:03 AM »
i was an xbox fanboy converted by metroid prime.  (and a desire to play rogue leader since launch)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2003, 11:30:21 AM »
Mouse_clicker.  Do me a favor and knock the living crap out of him (assuming it's a guy, here).  You can tell him I told you to do it.

Or you could tell me where he lives and I'll personally hurt him.  But he may not live through that, so I suggest you do it.

Offline Razex

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 03:15:43 PM »
I recommend you castrate him. I bet he won't feel too manly to play Wind Waker after that.  

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2003, 03:23:10 PM »
....and then he'll be ready for Animal Crossing

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2003, 06:32:35 PM »
"damn theaveng...i feel so sorry for you...how long have you been havign that problem...that would suck to have it post three times when you dont want it to. "
TWO LONG WEEKS.

I wonder if the original poster bothered to read our comments?  I notice a lot of people jump in, post a question, and the never bother to come back and read it.
Anyway... I think it's funny that Xbox fans are all excited about their new cel-shaded (cartoon) game, and yet bashing Zelda at the same time.  Talk about hypocritical!  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2003, 07:40:26 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
Ninja

I would think that number of people who dislike a certain game only because it is on a rival system is less than 5%, where the number of people who like a certain game only because it is on their favorite system is more like 70%.

So in your case I find the word MOST to be inappropriate.

If you are talking about Zelda, I would have to call you an idiot.  The game gets nearly perfect scores everywhere.  People liking it because it's on their system of choice is a totally retarded argument.  The game is just that good.

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2003, 12:36:47 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
Q] The only background story you need is the stuff that happened in Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo64.  So here it is:

A man named Ganandorf was born in the land of Hyrule.  He craved power and sought to obtain the three triangle shaped pieces known as the Triforce.  Along comes a little fairy boy named Link who is enlisted by a little girl named Princess Zelda to stop Ganandorf.  Yada yada yada... Link beats the crap out of Ganandorf, locks him into another dimension, and all is well in Hyrule.

Correction: Ganondorf was born in the Gerudo desert. He became king of the Gerudos, then went to cause trouble in Hyrule.

will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2003, 01:26:53 PM »
I love how the most advertised XBox game was Blinx The Cat.  

Which, obviously, is SO much more mature than Zelda. >_<

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.