Author Topic: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!  (Read 20570 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:50:21 AM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html

Yay! I think using the wiimote just for controlling navi was kinda pointless. Well, now that might be taken out itself, but yeah. I'm really glad they made using the wiimote is now actually part of the game instead of it being a really small thing that you don't use very often.

Offline Grubdog

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:31:31 AM »
Wow... the button wont be used at ALL for sword swinging now. Very questionable decision, now the primary gameplay method involves body movement in a huge game like this. I'd think Nintendo had lost their minds if the GC version didn't exist. GC version for me, I like to relax and feel immersed when i'm playing Zelda. I'm also glad they there wont be any graphical differences between the two, I can certainly feel good playing the bullshit free GC version now that I wont be missing out on anything.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
RE:Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:51 AM »
I'm sure there will be an alternative button pressing method for when you get tired.
But having the option of using the Wii-mote as a virtual sword will not only make the game more fun, it's something the game needs.
Millions of Zelda fans were going to buy the game regardless simply assuming they would be using the Wii-mote to control Link's sword, imagine how dissapointed they'd be to find out they couldn't. It would defeat the whole purpose of the Wii in their mind.

Offline Grubdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:13 AM »
Well another concern now is that the game simply isn't good enough to stand on its own, they have to add all these sparkling innovation features in to try and mask the mediocrity. Let's hope that's not the case, but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:41:19 AM »

Wow... the button wont be used at ALL for sword swinging now. Very questionable decision, now the primary gameplay method involves body movement in a huge game like this. I'd think Nintendo had lost their minds if the GC version didn't exist. GC version for me, I like to relax and feel immersed when i'm playing Zelda. I'm also glad they there wont be any graphical differences between the two, I can certainly feel good playing the bullshit free GC version now that I wont be missing out on anything.

Horray the Nintendo is teh doomed threads are back yippie skippie. I think motion sword swings is actually cooler and more imersing  than using the B button and if your worried about fatigue its been known simple wrist flicks would probably have the same effect as full motioned arm movements. And if you read the article the reason why they did this was because a lot of people didnt like it that you had to press the Dpad to fire out arrows or use "insert ranged item here" its just simpler, easier and it will give you much better accuracy if you only had to press B. I really think this is a smart move. And how does this one minor control mechanic swap make this game unplayable now?

Well another concern now is that the game simply isn't good enough to stand on its own, they have to add all these sparkling innovation features in to try and mask the mediocrity. Let's hope that's not the case, but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever.

Wasn't the reason that Nintendo showcased this title at their E3 conference to dismiss these notions? And again how does a simple swap in control mechanic turn  this game from a killer app both on Wii and NGC(for those people who don't want to be a early adopter for Wii but still want to play the game)  to a game thats "biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever".  And Im positive nothing can top wand of gamelon and faces of evil for the CD-I as the worst Zelda games ever(those two arent even made by Nintendo lol).

Edit: Made quotes more visible.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:12 AM »
"but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever."

Hahahaha.... you don't realize just how much ass this game is going to kick, do you?
I'll shut up now...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:56:24 AM »
I've got the biggest grin in the world right now...One for Ninty realizing the potential behind using motion sensing for sword movement, and two because Mario is being hilariously ranty about it... =D

(Oh, and before anyone else says it, the "getting tired" argument is complete bull****...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:50 AM »
why buy wii
if all you REALLY
want are GC games
with better graphics?

stop crying and let
nintendo
do there thing.

if the net had been
as populus back then
ya'll would've been worried
about using an analog
stick
to make Mario run on 64

"You mean walking/ running
THE WHOLE GAME with THAT?!!

I'll get TIRED!!!"

...bunch of change-fearing sissies

Yochi Wada was right, "There is a demand for something new from the users... Entertainment is not a necessity, so the users don't know what they should demand. It's up to the creators to think about this."

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 05:04:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Grubdog

I'm coming down to Sydney to get you.  I'll be there in a few minutes.
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:41 AM »
You guys had to see this coming. Nintendo, having been working with Ubisoft on Redsteel, could not let a 3rd party set the standard on how to use motion in their own controller. If Nintendo doesn't support a feature themselves, you know it will never be properly supported. So if Nintendo didn't pioneer the way to do proper sword control using Zelda, the wouldn't have been able to help Ubisoft perfect it for RedSteel, and the one thing they don't need is their premier 3d party launch game having such an obvious flaw.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
What?!

They mean to tell me that playing Zelda will run counter to my plans of being a shamelessly obese ball of lard via means of simple...dare I SAY it...PHYSICAL MOVEMENT!?

Inconceivable!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I've got the biggest grin in the world right now...One for Ninty realizing the potential behind using motion sensing for sword movement, and two because Mario is being hilariously ranty about it... =D

(Oh, and before anyone else says it, the "getting tired" argument is complete bull****...)

Haha, so apparently GrubDog is Mario's alt to avoid people making fun of him?  I think I'll add it to the Funhouse thread.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 06:54:49 AM »
Better move all the furniture, I'm charging my SPIN SLASH!

J/K.  I'm sure a charge-spin-slash won't actually require us to spin ourselves sick.  It might be amusing a few times, though.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 06:56:55 AM »
Spin slashes were actually done in the E3 demo using motion sensing.  You basically flicked your wrist around in a fast circle.  It was the same motion used to make Mario spin in Galaxy.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:13:20 AM »
Cool...depending on how detailed they let this get...this could be the first fencing Zelda.  Imagine jittering around one's TV, if one is so inclined, while defty thrusting/poking at a foe's vital points!  This is like a hilarious Scarlet Pimpernel flashback...sink me!

Otherwise, awesome move for Nintendo...will they manage better swordplay than Red Steel?
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 07:23:16 AM »
I'm ALL IN.  This is going to be the best version in every way.

Seriously, This is the kind of thing that I thought Nintendo was doing half-arsed during E3, I'm so glad to see the company coming around to more motion control.  And from what I've read on IGN, we can still perform many of the actions via button commands if we're feeling lazy, but it's still offering more entertaining options for people who have the motivation.

Go-GO Gadget Wii!!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »
STAR WARS KID EAT YER HART OUT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 07:41:10 AM »
Now arrows are shot using the B button.  The one thing I wasn't sure about regarding the Wii version's controls is no longer an issue.  Not that I ever had any doubts that I'd buy the Wii version.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:00:38 AM »
I'm buying both thx bye

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 08:07:46 AM »
I wish Ian were here to make this thread interesting with something like, "Nintendo said this game would be last traditional Zelda game. Now, they use this year-long delay to add g!mmicky controls instead of actual content."

I still have my Twilight Princess reservation for the GameCube, I wonder if I should switch it over to the Wii.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 08:11:57 AM »
so the game has gone from AWESOME to BEST GAME EVARRR????

ZELDA WII must GET!
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
What is your problem? WHY NINTENDO? I wanted a Wii to play archaic ports with minor enhancements! Not for this "motion sensing" satanism that you force upon me! Curse you Nintendo, curse your EVIL WAYS for forcing me, FORCING ME to "move" my "wrist" to play your evil, evil games. I'll throw away 600 dollars to induce massive damage upon crabs for this!
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 08:13:52 AM »
Horrible horrible news.

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
You guys had to see this coming. Nintendo, having been working with Ubisoft on Redsteel, could not let a 3rd party set the standard on how to use motion in their own controller. If Nintendo doesn't support a feature themselves, you know it will never be properly supported. So if Nintendo didn't pioneer the way to do proper sword control using Zelda, the wouldn't have been able to help Ubisoft perfect it for RedSteel, and the one thing they don't need is their premier 3d party launch game having such an obvious flaw.

But Zelda TP is a GameCube game. A GameCube game can not set any kind of standard on Wii, period.

It doesn't even make sense. Why would you need to swing your arms to do attacks? You move Link with the analog stick, and when you chose to swing the sword he swings forward in the direction he is facing. Can you swing the opposite direction you are facing now? What if the analog is moved in one direction but you swing in the other? The game glitches up and dies? See this is not something i'd expect in a game like Zelda but rather something from a small time mobile phone developer. There is NO reason to use the motion sensing controls for that, when all it's doing is replacing the press of a button. The game has just been made 100 times more complicated for nothing.

Nintendo THEMSELVES said it would be too tiring and too pointless to map the B button to motion controls, and now they've done it with no reason other than "because we say so". They are SELLING OUT, the first sign was when Twilight Princess wasn't cel shaded and looked like a straight up generic OoT clone but I got over that, but this is the last straw.

I can't wait for the announcement in two weeks that this will have a custom soundtrack and online patches.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 09:06:53 AM »
If you don't like the wiimote controls that have been added then buy the GC version, thats why Nintendo gave you the option. People bitch when we're not given options and now we are, and people still complain. I understand the frustration of not having mutiple control options on the Wii version, but the Wii and GC version are supposedly identicle except for the grafical effects that the Wii would apply to the GC code automatically and the 16:9 ratio. Either way you can play either game in the Wii and be happy.

Besides just like almost erveryone on this board, you have neither seen, much less played with the wiimote or had a chance to control zelda, so why don't you reserve your "absolute judgement" until you have some actual experience to base your opinion on.

I have complete faith in Miyamoto to make these seemingly "more complex" controls as intuitive and simple as possible.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »
IT'S CELDA ALL OVER AGAIN

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Spin slashes were actually done in the E3 demo using motion sensing.  You basically flicked your wrist around in a fast circle.  It was the same motion used to make Mario spin in Galaxy.

I figured it would be like that.  I doubt many games would actually require large motions.

(Thank you for reminding me that I was actually at E3 and didn't line up to play Twilight Princess.  ;_;  Some Zelda fan I am, eh?)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 09:22:07 AM »
I am not sure what to think about this new revelation, I will still be getting Zelda TP for Wii at launch so I guess it really doesn't matter . But this is one of those things I'll have to trust Nintendo and wait until I can get my hands on it before making any kind of judgement.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »
One must decide to believe if Nintendo is providing practice and setting you up for a future title, or are they wasting effort and ideas on a last-gen title?

Would a future, dedicated Wii-Zelda be so fresh and exciting after the fact?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 10:19:38 AM »
"Well another concern now is that the game simply isn't good enough to stand on its own, they have to add all these sparkling innovation features in to try and mask the mediocrity. Let's hope that's not the case, but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever."

I'm quite confident the game is good enough to stand on its own.  Afterall it has been in development for quite a while and the original design didn't call for any Wii usage.  I think in terms of dungeon design and stuff like that the game is going to be brilliant.

If this exposes any weaknesses it is in the controller itself.  From day one I have doubted the remote's ability to replace a traditional controller and in my mind this whole Zelda thing is going to prove that.  All these changes that have come up recently regarding the control scheme suggest to me that Nintendo is scrambling.  They want to prove that the remote is better and want to use a major game like Zelda to do so.  But they probably can't because it just isn't possible.  They're trying everything they can but it probably isn't going to work.  TP is still going to kick ass.  It'll probably just depend on what version you're playing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:52 AM »
Both will be great.  Though I would say they probably should have left Zelda alone and focussed on Metroid.  Though then people be mad that they have a great new Gamecube game to play on their new Wii.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »
Man Ian, you had me agreeing with you up until those last couple sentences where you seem to assume the Wii version will suck.

Nintendo is betting that the Wii controller is better and they are trying to prove it to us.  Why can't you all leave it at that until you play it?  Jesus.

Nintendo is basically coming out and saying look, we are making our best game both ways.  They know that if people like the cube version more, they are most likely not going to buy a Wii.  That is how much is riding on everyone liking the Wii version.

Everyone stop yer bitching, sit back, and take part in the experiment Nintendo is presenting to us.  Play both versions.  If you actually like the Cube version more AFTER playing them both, then Nintendo loses.  Your assumptions and boy cott cry babying just makes you look stupid.
---------------------

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »
I'll be buying both versions.

Once a solid release date comes out, if there's no collector's editions coming (even though God himself - Reggie - said there'd be), I'll be reserving both.

Which leaves enough credit for a DS game.  So it's down to something like...Starfox or Contact or something.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »
I just got a Gamefly account just for this reason, that and I wanted to play Pheonix Wright, Sonic Rush, Cube games I don't own, though first I have to beat BG&E so I can get it back to Vudu.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »

Man Ian, you had me agreeing with you up until those last couple sentences where you seem to assume the Wii version will suck.

Nintendo is betting that the Wii controller is better and they are trying to prove it to us.  Why can't you all leave it at that until you play it?  Jesus.

Nintendo is basically coming out and saying look, we are making our best game both ways.  They know that if people like the cube version more, they are most likely not going to buy a Wii.  That is how much is riding on everyone liking the Wii version.

Everyone stop yer bitching, sit back, and take part in the experiment Nintendo is presenting to us.  Play both versions.  If you actually like the Cube version more AFTER playing them both, then Nintendo loses.  Your assumptions and boy cott cry babying just makes you look stupid.

::claps and cheers for Pale::
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 10:51:21 AM »
Arrgh! You're gonna have to move your hands to play a video game. Horrors! The world will end! Think of the tens of calories you'll burn in a day - you'll probably die...

My god, get a GRIP people! What's the point of having a motion sensitive controller if you're not prepared to MOVE IT!!!!!

My take - Zelda TP is actually starting to look like it might have a novel and interesting game play element as a opposed to just being a rather generic looking sword and sorcery pot-boiler with questionable art direction...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »
Have you seen me I could use those ten calories...  Next you'll tell me to go to the domain of the Fury Orb that other people so much enjoy.  Pot-Boiler...  I wonder if it can make dumplings? (We all know the Wii will make Waffles.)

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »
I'm just going to have to copy what I said over at CAG here...

I think what Nintendo needs to do is grow some balls and tell everyone to piss the hell off when they are playing the Wii version, by taking a page from the old FPS games of yore, such as Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, and Rise of the Triad.  In these games, you chose your difficulty based on normally-demoralizing messages that indicated just how hard you wanted the game.

So if you were a total badass, you chose "They call me the cleaner" or "BRING 'EM ON."  If you were a total pussy, you chose "Mommy I'm scared!" or "I can only play with the lights on!"

Before you start the game, you'll go to a screen, and it will ask you what interface mode you want to be.  

If you chose normal controls, it says "Help I'm Jigglypuff's fat cousin."  If you chose a hybrid of sorts (maybe you just cut out sword motion, opting only for buttons for attacks), you chose "I'm only 50% pussy."  If you choose the full motion one, it's "I am Zatoichi.....bitches."

That'd show'em.  Who the f*ck doesn't want to be Zatoichi?

Apparently pussies and jigglypuff cousins....bitches.

In fact, Reggie's digitized head should float on the screen when you are chosing your interface, and hopelessly remind you that he could slap you with his dick at any second if he really wanted, because he knows where you sleep, bitch.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell
I'm just going to have to copy what I said over at CAG here...

I think what Nintendo needs to do is grow some balls and tell everyone to piss the hell off when they are playing the Wii version, by taking a page from the old FPS games of yore, such as Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, and Rise of the Triad.  In these games, you chose your difficulty based on normally-demoralizing messages that indicated just how hard you wanted the game.

So if you were a total badass, you chose "They call me the cleaner" or "BRING 'EM ON."  If you were a total pussy, you chose "Mommy I'm scared!" or "I can only play with the lights on!"

Before you start the game, you'll go to a screen, and it will ask you what interface mode you want to be.  

If you chose normal controls, it says "Help I'm Jigglypuff's fat cousin."  If you chose a hybrid of sorts (maybe you just cut out sword motion, opting only for buttons for attacks), you chose "I'm only 50% pussy."  If you choose the full motion one, it's "I am Zatoichi.....bitches."

That'd show'em.  Who the f*ck doesn't want to be Zatoichi?

Apparently pussies and jigglypuff cousins....bitches.

In fact, Reggie's digitized head should float on the screen when you are chosing your interface, and hopelessly remind you that he could slap you with his dick at any second if he really wanted, because he knows where you sleep, bitch.

...and its that long.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »
There is only one way to solve this. Nintendo needs to implement online deathmatches into TP, with cross platform playability between the GC and Wii versions.

That way a Wavebird user could battle a Wiimote user and then we'd see which control scheme was best, you female dogs  

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »

Have you seen me I could use those ten calories...

Fair enough - I think I can probably give you an exemption. Anyway - what with the dumplings + waffles on tap, we'll be able to recover any lost energy without getting up from the couch.

Seriously though - everything we've heard so far suggests you can make small gestures and still have the wiimote understand what you're doing and I can't believe it'll be any more unpleasant than getting thumb cramp + RSI from clutching a regular controller in a death grip for twelve hours a stretch!

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
There is only one way to solve this. Nintendo needs to implement online deathmatches into TP, with cross platform playability between the GC and Wii versions.

That way a Wavebird user could battle a Wiimote user and then we'd see who was best, bitches

I had to fix that.

There will be none of that around here.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »
It is not about "OMG I have to move, they should have a water bottle and straw attachment." Anyone that thinks motion in itself is the concern is a moron.

It's the concern of an adventure game losing some of it's adventure and puzzle solving focus, and possibly giving more attention than what's warranted to sword slashing.

(And before someone jumps on the comment, I didn't say ALL attention is lost on puzzles. And I didn't say Zelda will become a slasher game either.)

What the final result will be, none of us know yet. I'm undecided on which way I want to play, but I do know there was nothing wrong with Zelda's control scheme that REQUIRES a Wii.  Zelda Wii will demonstrate whether the Wiimote is for real or a g!mmick, either way.

Wii would not be getting nearly as much attention were it not for the controller. If it was a standard definition version of the 360 with a standard controller, they'd be cooked. Gamers don't need this controller as much as Nintendo does.

There is a lot riding on it and I'm sure they're aware of that. I am hopeful, but not sold wholesale on the concept. If Nintendo's tour was coming anywhere near me, I'd try it out for myself. But such is life.  
"wow."

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
It is not about "OMG I have to move, they should have a water bottle and straw attachment."

You know I did need something to drink with my Waffles and Dumplings.

Thats being said you have a valid concern and I have to agree.  Also, Do we know where there tour is going that actually has the playable Wii?

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:06 AM »

It is not about "OMG I have to move, they should have a water bottle and straw attachment." Anyone that thinks motion in itself is the concern is a moron.

It's the concern of an adventure game losing some of it's adventure and puzzle solving focus, and possibly giving more attention than what's warranted to sword slashing.

OK - but what if the immersion is improved as a result of the control method - and what if the puzzle solving involves more direct-interaction via the remote? Would that not be a good thing?

Wii would not be getting nearly as much attention were it not for the controller. If Wii was a standard definition version of the 360 with a standard controller, they'd be cooked. Gamers don't need this controller as much as Nintendo does.

There is a lot riding on it and I'm sure they're aware of that. I am hopeful, but not sold wholesale on the concept. If Nintendo's tour was coming anywhere near me, I'd try it out for myself. But such is life.

Agreed, and I think at this stage having a high-profile game like Zelda appear not to take full advantage of the controller could be quite damaging to the Wii's prospects - it's the sort of thing that people will go to town on. On the other hand, I guess pissing off long term fans with an unpopular control scheme won't do them any favours either (although MP rode that out in the end)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »
Big Jim, I have to disagree.  If anything i think this will take the gameplay away from sword fighting.  It's similar to what was in Phantom Hourglass.  The stylus controls make sword fighting a bit clunky there, but in the boss fight in the demo you never used your sword.
---------------------

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »

OK - but what if the immersion is improved as a result of the control method - and what if the puzzle solving involves more direct-interaction via the remote? Would that not be a good thing?

Sure. I'm not rejecting the Wiimote. I'm just saying what we have in Zelda is solid. The Wiimote scheme remains to be seen, either way. Could be great, could be not so great. It might be indifferent. We'll see.
"wow."

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 12:15:20 PM »
FORMER NINTENDO FANS ARE GO!

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:36 PM »
"The game has just been made 100 times more complicated for nothing."

for nothing no, for it to be a million time more funner! Now you can full act out all your dream of brutally killing tingle, cutting off ganon head for massive damage, and stabbing zelda in the face for making you have to save her for the 100th time! This Zelda is going to be the Greatest Everything Ever!!!!
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 02:41:24 PM »
 "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

YES! bwahahahahaha...ha...ha

I love it.  Let us hope the controls are one to one.  Now the Wii version can truly be called a launch title.

I have said in the past, when they do this (use the Wii remote for sword controls) it will be as big of a shock to some as Celda was.  Change can be good.

I would have thought though that it was too late to make such a massive change to the controls of the game; I would have thought after E3 we would not get a Zelda that puts the remote to its most logical use for two to three years (whenever the next Zelda comes out).  It will be a challenge to make such a complex game as TP work with the remote but it can be done (I think targetting just became very important).  It definately would have been easier to just build a Zelda from the ground up using the remote (allowing much more of the game to be focused on sword interaction with the environment and puzzles).

Keep in mind that the first Legend of Zelda was quite simple.  You had a button for your secondary weapon, a button for your sword, and a dpad to point you in the right direction.  The Wii controls can take us back to that simplicity.  A button to draw the sword to use the remote for sword attacks, a few buttons to use secondary weapons with the remote, a stick to move the character, a button for locking on, etc.  Why waste the remote function on shield attacks and menu navigation?

One should be able to look at the remote and look at the game on screen just like with Tennis and know exactly what to do.  They have to make this game with free form controls so they can be true to their thesis of making games that anyone will want to play.  If you just give players a sword and a world like Zelda to play in with it, I think you will be surprised how much fun people who would never play a game would have just cutting grass.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
"Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

YES! bwahahahahaha...ha...ha

I love it.  Let us hope the controls are one to one.  Now the Wii version can truly be called a launch title.

well, duh, he isn't going to say "the GC controls are superior and the only reason we are doing this is to help the launch of our console because we have enough fanboys that would even buy a turd if it has Zelda somewhere written over it", even if thats the truth :P

This was basically the only thing I liked about TP wii version and now they changed it, I don't have any doubts about which one is going to be the best version now.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:05 PM »
Will this Zelda make Spielberg smile like a dork as well?  We'll find out.

Wii is Miyamoto's Virtual Boy.

THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW.

THIS WEEK IS OFFICIALLY ZELDA HATE WEEK.

AUGUST 21, 2006
WE WILL NEVER FOGHAT

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:08 PM »
This sounds more intuitive to me than the E3 Wii controls.
GOREGASM!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »
The b button makes sense for the arrows.  I assume now they will move the shield controls to the nunchuck's accelorometers.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
After this game I want Nintendo to do a Berserk game specifically just for the Wii, no DreamCast rehash of any kind, rated M please, and I want all the violence/sex/blood/gore/the-most-nastiest-possible-thing-ever in the Berserk universe in this game, oh so that would rate it at that new 25+ age rating which is AO?! Indeed.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:58 PM »

The b button makes sense for the arrows.  I assume now they will move the shield controls to the nunchuck's accelorometers.

Maybe this controller mock-up thing isn't that much of a joke anymore.  o_0

I mean, okay, the Master Sword blade and the Hylian Shield are unnecessary, but it pretty much sums ups how they'll be used.

Hey, wait a second!  I'm right-handed!  Link is left-handed!  Has someone brought that up yet?

Well, it's not a swordfighting simulation, they'll probably make it work.  Pre-programmed motions and whatnot.

Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2006, 04:53:06 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is.

Is that a joke?
---------------------

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »
No, it's not a joke.

I tried Red Steel at E3, and I didn't feel that the blocking with the swords actually mimicked my left hand's motion.  At all.  And the slashes were just slashes.  No true thrusts, parries, etc.

Of course I guess it's hard to do swordfighting and fencing when you don't feel your opponent's blade against yours - no force feedback could be that strong.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:58 PM »

Well, I'm sure that they realised that it could be used as a sword, but they hadn't ironed it out before E3. I'd bet Miyamoto found an intuitive way to do it recently, and that made him change his mind about sword-swinging. When TP Wii controls were first rumoured, I was against it, and I still am to a degree. But you won't hear me complaining about it anymore. I have accepted the fact, and I have faith in Miyamoto and Nintendo. It won't be the Zelda that was built solely for the Wii, but it will be a good game. As I have said, if anyone can pull this off, Nintendo can.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Well, consider me excited again. That D-Pad still needs to be repositioned, though.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »
Great news! I've got absolutely NO problem with fully motion-sensing based sword attacks!! I'm quite suprised that even a couple people believe this will somehow be terrible. This is how I thought it should be all along. Run with the motion sensing thing! It makes good sense, so do it! And Smoke, I completely agree, it sounds considerablly better and more intuitive than the E3 setup.

Doubters, doubt away,  but I think this sounds great.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2006, 04:37:59 AM »
You know I've been thinking but why not just switch the controlls when you use the shield.  Sort of like with OoT where you go into that little hunched position and cant move but can adjust you shield.  While in that mode WiiPointer is shield and button is sword.

Also third person over the should sound like a good way to do sword.  You don't have to be as precised to get the feel of 1 to 1 mapping.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »

No, it's not a joke.

I tried Red Steel at E3, and I didn't feel that the blocking with the swords actually mimicked my left hand's motion.  At all.  And the slashes were just slashes.  No true thrusts, parries, etc.

Of course I guess it's hard to do swordfighting and fencing when you don't feel your opponent's blade against yours - no force feedback could be that strong.

Uhmm, I think I was just confused.  I thought it was funny as it won't take much to make a game with more sensitive sword fighting than Red Steel (at least as it was at e3).
---------------------

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 05:32:31 AM »
I like this but I have one question.  Will Link still be left handed or will he be able to hold the sword with his right hand now too?  It might be a little weird to have my right hand move his left.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »

No, it's not a joke.

Uhmm, I think I was just confused.  I thought it was funny as it won't take much to make a game with more sensitive sword fighting than Red Steel (at least as it was at e3).

Don't worry, that was probably my bad.  When I said "Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is" I think it sounded as if I was implying that Red Steel was sensitive and exact (or precise, I guess)...when I really meant to say that it wasn't really.  It's not bad, and supposedly it's improved since E3 - but it's certainly not a swordfighting simulation.

But we're talking about Zelda.  I did mention the left-handed/right-handed thing briefly earlier but since they're just going to be activating predetermined animations it may not be an issue.  It's not like Link has needed to ever slash specifically in a direction before anyway.  As in, left or right.  But I wonder how jumping downstabs would work?  I guess it'll all work in context in the moment of the battle, so a downward thrust of the WiiPointer would work like that during a jump and not while he's not jumping.  Link usually only jumps during battle anyway.  Or am I confused?  I thought I saw his downstab in a trailer.  Maybe it was for SSB:B.  Ergh.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »
As I recall, Link would leap onto a downed enemy and stab it when you thrust the nunchaku downward.  I don't think there was mention of how to do a leaping slash.  It may have been the same motion except with the enemy still standing.

I'd wager sword control is still going to be on the nunchaku.  It's Link's sword hand, so it will be a bit more intuitive even if the majority of people who will play the game are right handed.  Plus, the pointer may still be needed, and it will be easier to point and slash at the same time if you don't have to do it with the same hand.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2006, 07:07:26 AM »
Right hand is for the sheild DURRRR

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2006, 07:21:32 AM »
So?  The shield is only known to do two things: block attacks and bash skulls.  Thrusting forward to bash won't interfere with keeping the pointer aimed at the screen, and while I can't remember any mention of how to hold the shield up defensively, I can think of plenty of ways to do it that wouldn't interfere with pointing.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
You forgot reflecting light and Deku projectiles.

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL FTW

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2006, 07:53:27 AM »
You're assuming there will be light reflecting puzzles and Deku projectiles in TP.  It is a Zelda game, though, so I suppose Octorok projectiles are a given.

Besides, the pointer will make directing reflections much easier.  In fact, I'm not sure why we're even exchanging words.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:41 AM »
Intuitive, yes, easier, not exactly.  You'll still have to be steady (comes with practice, like anything), and aiming reflected light is more about adjustment than point&shoot.  Hold the remote somewhat like the way Link holds a shield (sorta upright in front of your chest) instead of aiming at the screen.

This is a forum.  Forums have words.

Pandas eat cake

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
"Nintendo is betting that the Wii controller is better and they are trying to prove it to us. Why can't you all leave it at that until you play it? Jesus."

Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon.  I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii.  So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay.

I think my assumptions are fair.  First we're taking a game that was originally designed for one controller and shoehorned to fit another.  How often does something like that work out well in the game industry?  The huge difference in the controllers doesn't help particularly regarding the amount of buttons available.  The game apparently played like crap at E3.  That doesn't give me confidence in the abilities of the remote.  If it was as good as Nintendo claims it is then I would assume such a switch would be easier.  If the remote is the new standard then games made for the old standard should convert virtually seamlessly.  And we know that the game can't truly make full use of the remote because it has to work on the Gamecube.  So your sword swinging isn't going to register exactly like your real movements because if the game was designed for that the Cube version wouldn't work.  Logically it's probably going to be gestures substituting buttons which is supremely lame.  How could the sword swinging be anything but gestures?  That wasn't featured in the E3 demo and I think it would take a lot longer than this to completely rehaul everything to have perfect sword swinging.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2006, 09:16:43 AM »
"Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon. I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii. So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay."

You could always try out a demo station, no one said you had to buy to try.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2006, 09:30:18 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
"Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon. I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii. So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay."

You could always try out a demo station, no one said you had to buy to try.

That requires....leaving the house.

A scary proposition indeed.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »
You could try renting the game off of one of those online rental places if you have a fear of leaving your house.

But I mean, honestly, how messed up would the controls be, considering that they've been working on the game for, like, forever.  The game was supposed to come out last year.  Do you really think that in a whole year they haven't spent more than half an hour deciding what kind of Wii controls to implement?

This is The Legend of Zelda.  THE Legend of ZELDA.  A franchise that tops many people's lists as the best ever.  Do you really think that Nintendo's going to screw up one of the most hyped-up games in the series with unplayable controls?  Honestly, Nintendo's not that dumb, and they're not going to change it back if a few people are hesitant that they might actually have to move their arm a little bit to knock a Moblin down.

As said before, you could rent the game first, or just get the GameCube version, if you really have serious issues with "arm movement".

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:45 AM »
If the Wii is wildly successful, I don't expect significant discounts for bundling purposes at any time.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Intuitive, yes, easier, not exactly.  You'll still have to be steady (comes with practice, like anything), and aiming reflected light is more about adjustment than point&shoot.  Hold the remote somewhat like the way Link holds a shield (sorta upright in front of your chest) instead of aiming at the screen.

For Link, it's about adjustment.  For the gamer, why shouldn't it be point and shoot?  I'm sometimes annoyed when a game presents a puzzle that should be easy to solve, but it's rather difficult to accomplish the solution due to the game's controls.  Removing the intermediate step between figuring out the solution to a puzzle and solving it when it should be trivial wouldn't bother me at all.  For example, once I figured out that I needed to shoot those eye switches with an arrow in Ocarina, why not take advantage of Link's perfect aim while Z-targeting instead of having to go through the trouble of aiming myself?  The action required to solve the puzzle in that case is so simple, that it might as well be simplified to the point of transparency.  I already figured it out, so let me move on.  But now I'm drifting off topic, and I'm sorry.

Pandas eat cake

I only just made an icon, and now you tempt me so!

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Logically it's probably going to be gestures substituting buttons which is supremely lame.

I disagree.  I think this sounds great.  There is a place for a game that directly copies my movements, but Zelda ain't it.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2006, 10:18:29 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
For example, once I figured out that I needed to shoot those eye switches with an arrow in Ocarina, why not take advantage of Link's perfect aim while Z-targeting instead of having to go through the trouble of aiming myself?  The action required to solve the puzzle in that case is so simple, that it might as well be simplified to the point of transparency.  I already figured it out, so let me move on.

If they made it lock-on-able it would draw your attention too easily.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »
"You could try renting the game off of one of those online rental places if you have a fear of leaving your house."

Well you do need to own a console to rent games for it.

I'll try the demo out for sure.  Like I'm going to pass up a chance to play the Wii if I see it at a store.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
You could always go to Blockbuster and rent the system.  But then we're tredding into the "leaving your house" territory.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Originally posted by: PartyBear
For example, once I figured out that I needed to shoot those eye switches with an arrow in Ocarina, why not take advantage of Link's perfect aim while Z-targeting instead of having to go through the trouble of aiming myself?  The action required to solve the puzzle in that case is so simple, that it might as well be simplified to the point of transparency.  I already figured it out, so let me move on.

If they made it lock-on-able it would draw your attention too easily.

Only because of the annoying fairy.  If you had to actually look at it to lock on, that wouldn't be an issue.  Plus, simply hiding a switch somewhere in the room is pretty lazy puzzle design.  After the first one, which you have to figure out how to activate, the rest should be part of something more complicated, anyway.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »
Looking at it is basically the same thing as aiming at it.  Either that, or if they made it so you only had to look in its general direction then it would still attract your attention too easily.  And either way, if you could lock onto it, you'd realize pretty quickly that shooting it is what you're supposed to do with it.  And even regardless, the more you automate stuff like aiming, the closer and closer games come to glorified slide shows.
GOREGASM!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Looking at it is basically the same thing as aiming at it.

True, but pixel-perfect aiming shouldn't be required when the challenge is supposed to be solving the puzzle with your mind, not your fingers.

Either that, or if they made it so you only had to look in its general direction then it would still attract your attention too easily.  And either way, if you could lock onto it, you'd realize pretty quickly that shooting it is what you're supposed to do with it.

Is that a problem after the first time?  You'd already know to shoot it from experience.  I don't quite agree that letting you lock onto something gives a particularly strong hint what you should do with it.  There are other items in the game, after all.

And even regardless, the more you automate stuff like aiming, the closer and closer games come to glorified slide shows.

Aiming is 100% automated during combat.  Is combat in Zelda just a slide show?  Besides, is the point of the puzzle to test your mind, or to test your thumbs?  I'm talking about removing things that get in the way of the game's purpose.  This was just the most obvious example I could think of.  Getting back to the question of reflecting light with a shield, what's the most intuitive use of the pointer?  To point it at the target to illuminate (essentially Z-targeting with the pointer, as in Link would face what you pointed at), or to relate it directly to Link's shield and move it until the shield lines up correctly?  Once the player figures out what to do with the shield and the light, isn't the problem solved?  Why make it difficult?  Just like the perfectly accurate aim, if you Z-target an Octorok and raise your shield, you can't help but reflect his attack right back at him.  It's completely automated.

Obviously, there's a line to be drawn somewhere.  I'd never suggest that once you figure out that you need to jump from platform to platform over the lava that you might as well be teleported to the other side.  I just think that there shouldn't be a discontinuity such as aiming being completely automated one moment and completely manual the next.  It may be that the sense of immersion is better with more manual control, and that might make it worth the trouble.  That would be one of the benefits of the Wii's controller if it turns out to be true, but with a joystick, it didn't really add to the immersion for me.  It didn't annoy me, either, contrary to how it probably sounds.  I was just trying to point out that the gameplay could stand to be streamlined in a few small ways.

To tie this back to the topic, Link's not going to mimic your sword swings exactly.  It'll probably be limited to jerking the controller, and then he'll slash or stab in that direction according to a programmed animation.  That is a good thing for this sort of game.  Zelda isn't a fencing simulation.  It's not an archery simulation, either.  The amount of realism in the controls has to be moderated by what makes the game fun and accessible.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2006, 02:02:51 PM »
Pixel perfect aiming isn't required; the target is considerably larger than a single pixel.

Making some lock-on-able and some not would be inconsistent, and mess with the player's expectations.  And if something is too far away to interact with in any way other than shooting it or playing a song at it, shooting it becomes a considerably more probably solution.

Combat is a more fast-paced and complex action than shooting a thing on the wall to open a door.  Under circumstances where you can, you aim manually.  During combat, you're focussed on strategy and movement, distracting you from such details as the fact that aiming is happening automatically.  That is, manual aiming is not a way to complicate out-of-combat aiming, but rather automatic aiming is a way to make in-combat aiming realistically feasible.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2006, 02:22:53 PM »
"To tie this back to the topic, Link's not going to mimic your sword swings exactly. It'll probably be limited to jerking the controller, and then he'll slash or stab in that direction according to a programmed animation. That is a good thing for this sort of game. Zelda isn't a fencing simulation."

On that point I agree.  Zelda isn't about precise fencing.  But a gesture system is idiotic.  It's no different than button presses only it requires more effort from the player and is less accurate due to the wider range of actions to be interpretted by the console.  It's like having digital controls on an analog stick only much worse.  So it's pretty much the same and thus there's no point in having it from a creative point of view.  Motion control only makes sense when it does something that can't be done affectively (or at all) with a traditional controller.  A mere gesture based sword swinging system is a perfect example of a g!mmick.

I think they're screwed either way.  A gesture system is pointless and inferior but authentic sword swinging complicates things too much that it loses track of what Zelda is about.  They actually had a better idea (in theory) before with bow aiming.  I found riding and shooting ghosts in the N64 Zelda pretty awkward and that is something that could make use of the remote if done right.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »

"To tie this back to the topic, Link's not going to mimic your sword swings exactly. It'll probably be limited to jerking the controller, and then he'll slash or stab in that direction according to a programmed animation. That is a good thing for this sort of game. Zelda isn't a fencing simulation."

On that point I agree.  Zelda isn't about precise fencing.  But a gesture system is idiotic.  It's no different than button presses only it requires more effort from the player and is less accurate due to the wider range of actions to be interpretted by the console.  It's like having digital controls on an analog stick only much worse.  So it's pretty much the same and thus there's no point in having it from a creative point of view.  Motion control only makes sense when it does something that can't be done affectively (or at all) with a traditional controller.  A mere gesture based sword swinging system is a perfect example of a g!mmick.

I think they're screwed either way.  A gesture system is pointless and inferior but authentic sword swinging complicates things too much that it loses track of what Zelda is about.  They actually had a better idea (in theory) before with bow aiming.  I found riding and shooting ghosts in the N64 Zelda pretty awkward and that is something that could make use of the remote if done right.

I agree that if it is prerecorded gestures then it is pointless but if they give you exact sword controls (Link's hand does what yours does) then it will make things much simpler than even using one button.  You won't have those Shenmue style "prss A now" moves for one thing.  Instead you would just get behind the character and swing at the weak spot (say the straps holding the armor on).  It is very simple.  

I've played a game before, years ago on much earlier technology, with sword controls.  It worked brilliantly (but there wasn't much else to the game, it moved along like a lightgun game).

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
I think my point got lost in the middle of all the talk about aiming in particular.  Anyway, I just wanted to chime in one more time and say that I, for one, am excited by the idea of this new control scheme for Zelda.  I don't think you can really call a jerk to the right a gesture.  The only thing I've heard about the controls that I'd call a gesture is the quick spin required to do a spin attack.  I think of a gesture as being more of an abstract series of motions, like the mouse gestures in some browsers I've never bothered to try.  Regardless, I think there's a huge difference as far as immersion goes between simply pressing a button and swiping the controller to the left and seeing the on screen character swipe his sword to the left.  It isn't a 100% direct method of controlling the sword, but it's a very large step closer to it than pressing a button ever was.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2006, 04:51:56 PM »

A gesture system is pointless and inferior but authentic sword swinging complicates things too much that it loses track of what Zelda is about.

I don't think it matters either way.  Sword fighting in Zelda has never been about precise slashes, it's been about positioning yourself and timing your attacks correctly.  So either way, you wave the remote to attack instead of pressing A.  It's not like you have to perform precise or elaborate gestures to handle a simple slash.
GOREGASM!

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
Zelda will be awesome.

Thread over.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2006, 05:17:56 PM »
I think what is important about using the remote in this game is that it puts the sword in your hand and allows you the freedom to hit specific marks.

The old 2D sword fighting was like in 2D Metroid where you just hit the button, but these days Metroid is 3D and on Wii you will move Samus' arm all about.  The same is true for Zelda on Wii now, except it will go beyond just pointing and pulling the trigger.  

Sword fighting on Wii can best be equated with playing Tennis on Wii.  Just like hitting the ball in Tennis, you swing the sword at someone's head (a much larger target).  There is nothing complicated about that at all.  

Hasn't the spin attack always just involved holding a button down and then releasing it?  I don't think the remote is capable of detecting a 360 degree spin.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2006, 05:23:19 PM »

I think what is important about using the remote in this game is that it puts the sword in your hand and allows you the freedom to hit specific marks.

Yes, if TP had been designed with the Wii in mind instead of GC.  Do you really think they'll actually change the game so much for the Wii version as to include stuff that would take advantage of such potential freedom?
GOREGASM!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2006, 05:25:49 PM »
New Laws:

Law 1) How majority of people think a game will control does not equate to how the game will actually control

I've seen folks cry, "told you so," when hearing the new Zelda/Sword news.  Thinking that their expectations of control have been meet... my question is how do you know?  Some folks think this way, others think some other way...

Bottom line:  Don't think schemes you spent an hour on will match those a developer may have spent days on.  In the end...

Law 2) If a developer succeeds, then a majority of people will be content with the available control scheme(s)

Law 3) No single control scheme satisfies all users, ever.

Edit: Spell check broke my words
Edit2: Remember TP was and continues to be a GC game in overall design choices.  Consider it a first generation "Wiimake".  Some of the design choices will add a nice feel to things, while some may feel like a cheap parlor trick.  (for example, from user accounts... I thought the bow setup at E3 was pretty cool - with the gesture and sound ... some folks may think otherwise)