Author Topic: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!  (Read 20571 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:50:21 AM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html

Yay! I think using the wiimote just for controlling navi was kinda pointless. Well, now that might be taken out itself, but yeah. I'm really glad they made using the wiimote is now actually part of the game instead of it being a really small thing that you don't use very often.

Offline Grubdog

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:31:31 AM »
Wow... the button wont be used at ALL for sword swinging now. Very questionable decision, now the primary gameplay method involves body movement in a huge game like this. I'd think Nintendo had lost their minds if the GC version didn't exist. GC version for me, I like to relax and feel immersed when i'm playing Zelda. I'm also glad they there wont be any graphical differences between the two, I can certainly feel good playing the bullshit free GC version now that I wont be missing out on anything.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
RE:Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:51 AM »
I'm sure there will be an alternative button pressing method for when you get tired.
But having the option of using the Wii-mote as a virtual sword will not only make the game more fun, it's something the game needs.
Millions of Zelda fans were going to buy the game regardless simply assuming they would be using the Wii-mote to control Link's sword, imagine how dissapointed they'd be to find out they couldn't. It would defeat the whole purpose of the Wii in their mind.

Offline Grubdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:13 AM »
Well another concern now is that the game simply isn't good enough to stand on its own, they have to add all these sparkling innovation features in to try and mask the mediocrity. Let's hope that's not the case, but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:41:19 AM »

Wow... the button wont be used at ALL for sword swinging now. Very questionable decision, now the primary gameplay method involves body movement in a huge game like this. I'd think Nintendo had lost their minds if the GC version didn't exist. GC version for me, I like to relax and feel immersed when i'm playing Zelda. I'm also glad they there wont be any graphical differences between the two, I can certainly feel good playing the bullshit free GC version now that I wont be missing out on anything.

Horray the Nintendo is teh doomed threads are back yippie skippie. I think motion sword swings is actually cooler and more imersing  than using the B button and if your worried about fatigue its been known simple wrist flicks would probably have the same effect as full motioned arm movements. And if you read the article the reason why they did this was because a lot of people didnt like it that you had to press the Dpad to fire out arrows or use "insert ranged item here" its just simpler, easier and it will give you much better accuracy if you only had to press B. I really think this is a smart move. And how does this one minor control mechanic swap make this game unplayable now?

Well another concern now is that the game simply isn't good enough to stand on its own, they have to add all these sparkling innovation features in to try and mask the mediocrity. Let's hope that's not the case, but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever.

Wasn't the reason that Nintendo showcased this title at their E3 conference to dismiss these notions? And again how does a simple swap in control mechanic turn  this game from a killer app both on Wii and NGC(for those people who don't want to be a early adopter for Wii but still want to play the game)  to a game thats "biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever".  And Im positive nothing can top wand of gamelon and faces of evil for the CD-I as the worst Zelda games ever(those two arent even made by Nintendo lol).

Edit: Made quotes more visible.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:12 AM »
"but all signs point to this being the biggest disappointment of all time and the worst Zelda game ever."

Hahahaha.... you don't realize just how much ass this game is going to kick, do you?
I'll shut up now...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:56:24 AM »
I've got the biggest grin in the world right now...One for Ninty realizing the potential behind using motion sensing for sword movement, and two because Mario is being hilariously ranty about it... =D

(Oh, and before anyone else says it, the "getting tired" argument is complete bull****...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:50 AM »
why buy wii
if all you REALLY
want are GC games
with better graphics?

stop crying and let
nintendo
do there thing.

if the net had been
as populus back then
ya'll would've been worried
about using an analog
stick
to make Mario run on 64

"You mean walking/ running
THE WHOLE GAME with THAT?!!

I'll get TIRED!!!"

...bunch of change-fearing sissies

Yochi Wada was right, "There is a demand for something new from the users... Entertainment is not a necessity, so the users don't know what they should demand. It's up to the creators to think about this."

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 05:04:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Grubdog

I'm coming down to Sydney to get you.  I'll be there in a few minutes.
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:41 AM »
You guys had to see this coming. Nintendo, having been working with Ubisoft on Redsteel, could not let a 3rd party set the standard on how to use motion in their own controller. If Nintendo doesn't support a feature themselves, you know it will never be properly supported. So if Nintendo didn't pioneer the way to do proper sword control using Zelda, the wouldn't have been able to help Ubisoft perfect it for RedSteel, and the one thing they don't need is their premier 3d party launch game having such an obvious flaw.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »
What?!

They mean to tell me that playing Zelda will run counter to my plans of being a shamelessly obese ball of lard via means of simple...dare I SAY it...PHYSICAL MOVEMENT!?

Inconceivable!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I've got the biggest grin in the world right now...One for Ninty realizing the potential behind using motion sensing for sword movement, and two because Mario is being hilariously ranty about it... =D

(Oh, and before anyone else says it, the "getting tired" argument is complete bull****...)

Haha, so apparently GrubDog is Mario's alt to avoid people making fun of him?  I think I'll add it to the Funhouse thread.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 06:54:49 AM »
Better move all the furniture, I'm charging my SPIN SLASH!

J/K.  I'm sure a charge-spin-slash won't actually require us to spin ourselves sick.  It might be amusing a few times, though.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 06:56:55 AM »
Spin slashes were actually done in the E3 demo using motion sensing.  You basically flicked your wrist around in a fast circle.  It was the same motion used to make Mario spin in Galaxy.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:13:20 AM »
Cool...depending on how detailed they let this get...this could be the first fencing Zelda.  Imagine jittering around one's TV, if one is so inclined, while defty thrusting/poking at a foe's vital points!  This is like a hilarious Scarlet Pimpernel flashback...sink me!

Otherwise, awesome move for Nintendo...will they manage better swordplay than Red Steel?
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 07:23:16 AM »
I'm ALL IN.  This is going to be the best version in every way.

Seriously, This is the kind of thing that I thought Nintendo was doing half-arsed during E3, I'm so glad to see the company coming around to more motion control.  And from what I've read on IGN, we can still perform many of the actions via button commands if we're feeling lazy, but it's still offering more entertaining options for people who have the motivation.

Go-GO Gadget Wii!!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »
STAR WARS KID EAT YER HART OUT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 07:41:10 AM »
Now arrows are shot using the B button.  The one thing I wasn't sure about regarding the Wii version's controls is no longer an issue.  Not that I ever had any doubts that I'd buy the Wii version.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:00:38 AM »
I'm buying both thx bye

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 08:07:46 AM »
I wish Ian were here to make this thread interesting with something like, "Nintendo said this game would be last traditional Zelda game. Now, they use this year-long delay to add g!mmicky controls instead of actual content."

I still have my Twilight Princess reservation for the GameCube, I wonder if I should switch it over to the Wii.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 08:11:57 AM »
so the game has gone from AWESOME to BEST GAME EVARRR????

ZELDA WII must GET!
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
What is your problem? WHY NINTENDO? I wanted a Wii to play archaic ports with minor enhancements! Not for this "motion sensing" satanism that you force upon me! Curse you Nintendo, curse your EVIL WAYS for forcing me, FORCING ME to "move" my "wrist" to play your evil, evil games. I'll throw away 600 dollars to induce massive damage upon crabs for this!
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 08:13:52 AM »
Horrible horrible news.

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
You guys had to see this coming. Nintendo, having been working with Ubisoft on Redsteel, could not let a 3rd party set the standard on how to use motion in their own controller. If Nintendo doesn't support a feature themselves, you know it will never be properly supported. So if Nintendo didn't pioneer the way to do proper sword control using Zelda, the wouldn't have been able to help Ubisoft perfect it for RedSteel, and the one thing they don't need is their premier 3d party launch game having such an obvious flaw.

But Zelda TP is a GameCube game. A GameCube game can not set any kind of standard on Wii, period.

It doesn't even make sense. Why would you need to swing your arms to do attacks? You move Link with the analog stick, and when you chose to swing the sword he swings forward in the direction he is facing. Can you swing the opposite direction you are facing now? What if the analog is moved in one direction but you swing in the other? The game glitches up and dies? See this is not something i'd expect in a game like Zelda but rather something from a small time mobile phone developer. There is NO reason to use the motion sensing controls for that, when all it's doing is replacing the press of a button. The game has just been made 100 times more complicated for nothing.

Nintendo THEMSELVES said it would be too tiring and too pointless to map the B button to motion controls, and now they've done it with no reason other than "because we say so". They are SELLING OUT, the first sign was when Twilight Princess wasn't cel shaded and looked like a straight up generic OoT clone but I got over that, but this is the last straw.

I can't wait for the announcement in two weeks that this will have a custom soundtrack and online patches.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 09:06:53 AM »
If you don't like the wiimote controls that have been added then buy the GC version, thats why Nintendo gave you the option. People bitch when we're not given options and now we are, and people still complain. I understand the frustration of not having mutiple control options on the Wii version, but the Wii and GC version are supposedly identicle except for the grafical effects that the Wii would apply to the GC code automatically and the 16:9 ratio. Either way you can play either game in the Wii and be happy.

Besides just like almost erveryone on this board, you have neither seen, much less played with the wiimote or had a chance to control zelda, so why don't you reserve your "absolute judgement" until you have some actual experience to base your opinion on.

I have complete faith in Miyamoto to make these seemingly "more complex" controls as intuitive and simple as possible.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »
IT'S CELDA ALL OVER AGAIN