Poll

Worst third party game of 2013 so far

Aliens: Colonial Marines by Sega and Gearbox and their mercenary developers
17 (63%)
Simcity by EA and Maxis
10 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: HOW NOT TO POST ON THE NWR FORUMS  (Read 27671 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Third Parties are fantastic! Aliens: Colonial Marines vs. Simcity
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »
Let me remind the jury that EA repeatedly lied during and after the launch. These aren't technicalities, they are straight up lies.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 03:53:48 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has compared the launch of SimCity against Burnout Paradise which, arguably, is an MMO-of-sorts in it's own right but instead opted for phasing in new features gradually rather than one big splodge all at once.

At least Criterion got it right.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
Criterion got it right until they cut and run on the PC version, leaving it without many of the near-necessary DLC packs. It sure would be nice to have the "Cops and Robbers" gamemode and the "Big Surf Island" location.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
ROFL!
In other related news, Maxis got thrown under the bus by EA.

EA Labels president Frank Gibeau wants everyone to stop blaming the "evil suits at EA" for SimCity always being online. See, it's not their fault; Maxis' development team was the one that wanted this feataure.

In an interview with GamesIndustry International at GDC, Gibeau compared SimCity to an MMO and straight up called out always-online DRM as awful. “DRM is a failed dead-end strategy; it's not a viable strategy for the gaming business. So what we tried to do creatively is build an online service in the SimCity universe and that's what we sought to achieve," he said.

I admit I haven't played SimCity myself (not a PC gamer by any stretch), but from what I understand from my friends, the game can't really be classified as an MMO. Yes you can visit your friends' cities, but you don't have to if you don't want to, and you can only interact with three other people really at one time. Yes, you can interact on a limited basis with up to 12 people, but that doesn't seem to me like it qualifies as a massively multiplayer game; you know, part of what MMO stands for. If leaderboards also means that it's an MMO, then I guess Bayonetta was an MMO without me even realizing it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that Gibeau's argument confuses me a little. Is he saying that when a mostly single-player experience has a few multiplayer features, that's when the always-online requirement stops being DRM and starts being MMO?

Anybody have any idea what the next worse game of 2013 is going to be?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
What's the next big overly hyped game after Bioshock (which sounds like it actually lived up to its expectations)?  In fact, what are the rest of the huge blockbusters coming out for the rest of the year?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
I'm thinking its really GTA.  Which I think is going to bomb hard.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
What's the next big overly hyped game after Bioshock (which sounds like it actually lived up to its expectations)?  In fact, what are the rest of the huge blockbusters coming out for the rest of the year?

I'd say probably The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto 5, this year's Call of Duty, this year's Assassin's Creed, and Watch_Dogs. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 should be in there as well, but we have no release date on that yet. There are also PS4 releases, but I'm not counting those until we get actual release dates.

There are also smaller games from notable franchises here & there like Resident Evil Revelaitons HD, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIIII, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:09:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
I'm thinking its really GTA.  Which I think is going to bomb hard.

I don't think it's going to bomb, but I do think GTA's going to underperform. Between at least one upcoming major new console release, 3 nearby sales juggernauts in Assassin's Creed 4; Battlefield 4; and Call of Duty XYZ, and Open World games not being a big deal anymore like they were at the start of this generation...yeah, I think Rockstar's not going to see a mega-hit this time.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
But....but you play as three different people at the same time!  That's three simultaneous hot coffees.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
Battlefield, especially on consoles, is nowhere near GTA's level in terms of sales.

GTA V will be very big in terms of sales.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:14 AM »
I would post funny videos of Colonial Marines, but Simcity absolutely destroys it in term of the number of bugs, glitchs and poor design desicions. This one is special for TJ. Behold! Libertarian Utopia! No taxes, no services, no parks, nothing but roads and residential zoning with 1.8 million sims living in complete squalor, but is perfectly happy because taxes are at zero.

Final Fanatsy is a damaged brand at this point. Unless the next game is uniquely good, I expect it to do poorly based on having really poor gameplay.

While GTA is due to a fall, there hasn't been any indicators so far of any major **** ups, but as a franchise it is getting stale. If it does lose sales, it would be due to Saints Row which is a far more entertaining game.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »
Libertarian Utopia! No taxes, no services, no parks, nothing but roads and residential zoning with 1.8 million sims living in complete squalor, but is perfectly happy because taxes are at zero.

Ron Paul has made anime REAL!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
Battlefield, especially on consoles, is nowhere near GTA's level in terms of sales.

Did I say they were? I was saying that Battlefield was but one of many things releasing around the time of GTA 5 that could eat into sales. I'm saying their combined influence would hurt GTA's sales.

GTA V will be very big in terms of sales.

Based on what information? Pre-order numbers? The sales of the last GTA or Red Dead Redemption game, which released in a very different market?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
I figured they'd win that.  To be a little fair, the voting started right around the time SimCity was released so the vitriol for EA was loud at that time.

Still, 78% of the vote seems like you have to try to be that bad.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
and simcity is now an advertisement platform.... toothpaste, really... keeping it classy ea

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
and simcity is now an advertisement platform.... toothpaste, really... keeping it classy ea

Um, gaming tie-ins are decades old and fine. Movies, TV shows, and music do it too. So how is it not classy.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »

Um, gaming tie-ins are decades old and fine. Movies, TV shows, and music do it too. So how is it not classy.
may i please learn where you obtained the rock you have been living under, because frankly, it must be a very good quality rock to live under...
it comes down to rubbing salt on the wound... apparently 'Worst company in America' is a title to be worn with pride...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
I know you dont like the truth, but you are wrong. You act like EA is doing something wrong with a tie-in. What about Microsoft teaming with Mountain Dew for Gears of War? Or Activsion with Mountain Dew for Call of Duty? Nintendo having actual Duracell batteries in Pikmin 2? Nintendo, Sega, etc. having deals with Burger King/McDonalds/Taco Bell, etc.?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
and this is ingame content that can only be obtained through purchasing 'specially marked packages of oral toothpaste,' the TRUTH is that the well is already poisoned with the always online debacle and that EA seems poised to turn simcity into an Advertising Platform on the level of Facebook,

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2013, 10:22:42 PM »
Um, AGAIN. This is nothing new, games have had in-game ads for YEARS. Hell, in my last post I even mentioned an example of Nintendo doing it. And what about games that have in-game content you can only get by buying the game at select retailers? CD's also sometimes have exclusive songs based on retailers (Walmart and iTunes especially). Sometimes DVDs are retailer exclusive. What EA doing is not new or exclusive to them. You are trying to make a non-issue into a issue.

And none of the 5 items you unlock are Crest items or have their logo, so their is no in-game advertising from this.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »
I want to move to that Libertarian Utopia.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
Super James - Admin and Hero to the People Edit: Do you really think that's okay? THIS FORUM IS FOR VIDYA GAEMS

Stop trolling, stop picking fights, stop being jerks.

I will totally set this place on fire..

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »
pokepal, I am convinced you are not ignoring me on purpose and when you do read my posts you read what you want and interpret it how you want.

EA IS NOT DOING ANYTHING NEW, MANY OTHER GAME COMPANIES, MOVIE COMPANIES, TV COMPANIES, AND MUSIC COMPANIES DO THE SAME THING. IT IS STANDARD.

There, is that clear? I don't get why you are trying to make an issue out of what EA is doing. There is ZERO wrong with it, nor is it new. Apparently you have a problem with promotion tie-ins. But I dont hear you bitching about Atlus, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Activision, Square Enix, Warner Bros. Interactive, Deep Silver, and many others. All of these companies have done the SAME thing. And that is just video game companies.