Author Topic: After this gen, I'm jumping ship.  (Read 21226 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
After this gen, I'm jumping ship.
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
I'll stay for the community here, but after this gen I'm done with Nintendo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: After this gen, I'm jumping ship.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »
Well, at least you were kind enough to announce this to everyone. Who wants to take the over/under on Oblivion changing his mind?

After this post, I am ordering a calzone. I'll stay for the community here, but I am done with being hungry.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
I said the same thing last gen, so far I been true to my word. Nintendo has a way of winning you back eventually though.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
I said the same thing last gen, so far I been true to my word. Nintendo has a way of winning you back eventually though.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I said the same thing last gen and that went out the window with the 3DS and Wii U. I was hyped up by the hardware and was burned when neither game had anything good for the longest time. Both of them are now collecting dust until Smash Bros. All I keep thinking about is the $1000+ I have spent in the last three years that I completely wasted.

I hope that when they release their next console/handheld, I'm not the first sucker in line like last time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
Multi-console is the way to go. I'm disappointed with the Wii U after 2 years, but I am not about to get rid of it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
Multi-console is the way to go. I'm disappointed with the Wii U after 2 years, but I am not about to get rid of it.

I won't mind. I've realized that I don't even care about most of Nintendo's IPs. I really only care about Xenoblade and Smash Bros. If I don't jump ship completely, I'll get on the ship closer to the end of its lifetime.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
I am the opposite, I like most of their franchises it is Smash and Mario Kart I am sick to death of. I can't get enough Mario platformers even if I spend most of my time replaying the classics instead of buying the new stuff. Multiconsole has always been the way for me, even back in the NES days I still had a healthy library of Atari carts sitting next to my Mario machine. Had a Genesis and a SNES, had a PS1 and a N64. I tried to go Nintendo only with Game Cube and missed out the entire generation of PS2 games.

Then when Ps3 came along at first I was so wrapped up in Wii, it had me sold on Virtual Console alone, I couldn't afford a PS3 then anyways so I picked my PS3 up four years after I sold my Wii and tried to go PC gamer only, boy is that a myth PC gamers have it better than console gamers what a bunch of lies and bull ****.

If money was not a factor I would own all consoles and play the games I like but I rarely find enough games on Xbox to justify it, I found 3 games that were exclusive to the console that I would buy.
I don't game online ever period so that was never a selling point and I got my PS3 when I did because I gave my Blu Ray player to my aunt for Christmas and needed a new one and they just released Ducktales remastered so I picked up a PS3 basically for a Blu Ray player and that, then my Roku crapped out on me so I also use it for Netflix. Games not so much but only because I have too many retro games keeping me busy. And to bring it back full circle, nobody plays on retro nostalgia like Nintendo so they always get my money in the end.

Sony has just finally been around long enough to start stirring up retro feelings but not quite like Nintendo and the closest thing MS has to retro is DosBox and that's not even their thing. To be fair though I end up buying way more games then I ever play so you could say I am more a video game collector than a true gamer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:54:03 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I said that last gen, referring only to consoles, but I'm really just on hiatus.  I don't want the Wii U and don't expect it to gradually turn into something I do want but once next gen rumours are starting I'm going to be damn interested!  Maybe Nintendo will release some last-gen console with a gimmick controller again and I'll still be disinterested or maybe they'll get their act together.  I WANT to like Nintendo because when they're on they're on.  So I can't see myself being finished with them forever, unless they just never bounce back.  They can always win me back.  I want to have a reason to come back.  It's just simply that I can't support who they're doing things right now.  I can't support the Wii U but only specifically the Wii U or other products that would be like it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
Wait, I was under the impression that no one here liked Nintendo anymore and you were all just here for the impeccably-managed community.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
Why wait? Sell your Wii U when Smash Bros comes out and there is some demand, and make the jump now instead of waiting for next gen. Seriously - the PS4 and XBox One are so new that you haven't missed anything of note. Get the jump over with and then you won't have to wait around and complain about an entire generation of games.

I like my Wii U. It doesn't have a lot of games, but it has a handful of games (either released or yet to come) that I consider "must play" titles. But the console isn't for everyone and there is no reason to suffer through keeping a gaming system you don't like.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
While I can understand some disappointment with Nintendo, I THINK YOU GUYS ARE NUTS! Like Completely. Until Sony/Microsoft "actually" surpass  Nintendo in content and not "potentially" pass them I'm good. I would like to know if it's your gaming taste or amount of time you have to game that plays into these conclusions.

3DS is a flat out beast, if you have exhausted the amount of quality gaming that that system has to offer, well i commend you on your efforts and I wonder what else you have time for.

As for WiiU, I like it more than others and I have no problem with it's library of games because REALLY GUYS ITS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE N64, WHEN ARE YOU EXPECTING THIS TO CHANGE?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
In your opinion they haven't surpassed them. In terms of my taste and opinion, at the very least Sony surpassed them a few years ago.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
I'm not going to say it as an absolute since I have no idea what system and games will release in the future, but for a while now I've been considering becoming a purely retro player. I'm becoming increasingly disappointed with the industry which started as far back as the PS1, and increased with the PS2/GCN/Xbox, became solidified with the PS3 and Xbox 360 which I plan to never own, and now this generation there's so little left for me. Nintendo was the only company offering products I liked last gen with the Wii and DS, but even they are slipping with Wii U and 3DS.

It isn't a big deal though. Even if I never get another new system, there's been plenty released for systems I have now to satiate me for life. Heck, my backlogue alone could last me at least ten years. I've come to accept this possibility so I'm not really bothered by the increasing number of new announcements I don't like. It's just vidya games.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
In your opinion they haven't surpassed them. In terms of my taste and opinion, at the very least Sony surpassed them a few years ago.

This is true. Sony over the years has ben able to put together quite the 1st party lineup. My question for you and others is Why do you think Nintendo would be different than in years past? Or is it the realization that they won't be different and its time to move on? I ask because it seemed quite clear when the WiiU was announced that this gen would be an extension of the Wii/DS philosophy. Every other system prior to Wii, Nintendo tried to put out a system with comparable specs while still being inherently "Nintendo." 

I don't know guys, A wise man once told me "expectations is the longest word in the english language"

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head. I should have realized it but like I said earlier I got lured in by the hardware at the time. But this is certainly the final straw for me.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »

This is true. Sony over the years has ben able to put together quite the 1st party lineup. My question for you and others is Why do you think Nintendo would be different than in years past? Or is it the realization that they won't be different and its time to move on? I ask because it seemed quite clear when the WiiU was announced that this gen would be an extension of the Wii/DS philosophy. Every other system prior to Wii, Nintendo tried to put out a system with comparable specs while still being inherently "Nintendo." 

I don't know guys, A wise man once told me "expectations is the longest word in the english language"

The Wii U story is going how I thought it would and that's why I didn't buy it.  I knew it was another Wii and that was not at all what I wanted.

I didn't think Nintendo WOULD be different but they SHOULD be different.  How things were on the N64 is a bad thing.  Nintendo's first party lineup was amazing but the N64's fate regarding third party support was a huge mistake and a massive screw-up on Nintendo's part.  I don't care if that's how things have gone for Nintendo ever since, it's crap and shouldn't be tolerated or defended.  Nintendo fucked up and either doesn't give enough of a **** to shape up or is too incompetent to do so.  There is no excuse for things to be the way they are.  They should have easily bounced back with the Gamecube.  I don't know if they even CAN bounce back now but they don't deserve any slack for over a decade of making easily avoidable mistakes.  Besides when you "please understand" you just give them more justification for maintaining the status quo.  Let them rot in failure for their mistakes and they'll be forced to try to improve.

For a disgruntled Wii U owner I guess "gee, what did you expect?" is a fair thing to say.  But that was me last gen.  I was the sucker getting burned by the Wii.  I'm not going to act like I'm such a smart guy when others could call me a fool for getting the Gamecube at launch after the N64 fiasco.  My desire for Nintendo to do well and bounce back kept me loyal longer than it should have.  For different fans it can take a different amount of time to get fed up.  Nintendo has such loyal fans and it makes it rather sick that they've taken that for granted for multiple console generations.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
My gaming habits are such that I can stick with Nintendo hardware for a few years while the other consoles build a library I care about, but even then, rushing to buy a Nintendo console at launch is becoming less and less important. I don't regret buying Wii U at launch. I had the money and I got New Super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU on sale. I could have waited if necessary. I go days, sometimes weeks without turning on my consoles. I don't even need them to watch Netflix on my TV anymore. Most days, I only check my 3DS to make sure I earned Play Coins that day. I don't even know why I care. I have a few tickets to earn in the Streetpass games, but I already have all of the hats I want.

Nintendo is the only company that actively matters to me. For all the dumbass things they do, they're still the company that makes the games that I actually care about which subsequently forced me to care about their hardware. I don't need or want a dozen games a year. I can make do with half of that, and sometimes, that's actually too much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
I think it's their characters that pull me in. I've owned various Sony consoles through my lifetime, and played many Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games as a kid, but Nintendo's characters are the only ones that truly appeal to me.

Sony, Microsoft, or any other third party that exists don't have characters anywhere near as cool as Fox McCloud...or Captain Falcon. They can try (and they definitely do try), but they always fail at grasping my attention. I mean, c'mon.. Pit! An angel boy who lost his wings, and fights with a bow and arrow that transforms into dual daggers! How awesome is that? :D

Or Jill... a pink-haired pixie rabbit-like humanoid that pilots a drill - and uses it to decimate her enemies! Sony, Microsoft, and the rest of the lot aren't anywhere near that imaginative. That's why I love Nintendo.

And that's why I keep coming back.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
Nintendo is the only company that actively matters to me. For all the dumbass things they do, they're still the company that makes the games that I actually care about which subsequently forced me to care about their hardware. I don't need or want a dozen games a year. I can make do with half of that, and sometimes, that's actually too much.
This is about how I feel as well. Since I always wait for deals then the frequency of games released doesn't matter to me, I don't usually get things when they come out anyway.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
Well, at least you were kind enough to announce this to everyone. Who wants to take the over/under on Oblivion changing his mind?

What's the line? Six months? Two pricedrops?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

What's the line? Six months? Two pricedrops?

That it? Hell, I'll take you up on that bet.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
Honestly the best policy at this point is to own as many of the consoles as you can while accepting their flaws as they come. Hell, I'm even thinking of picking up an Xbone in a few months, and that's with only 3 games I have any interest in. It's best to cover your bases and have access to everything, if you can. The Wii U's been a total bust in comparison to the other Nintendo consoles and it's clearly DONE after next year, but it's gotten enough games to justify its original purchase in my eyes.  However much Nintendo infuriates me with their cheap hardware, their infuriating refusal to adapt to changes in the marketplace, and their continual obliviousness when it comes to 3rd parties...they still have a place with me. It's not a major place anymore, and it's not one I think about participating in very often, but they still have a place.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
Unlike you guys, I'm not a full grown adult with a relatively steady job. That is the WORST policy for me to have. Just owning the three main consoles would cost me $1050 without tax or any additional retail games or online capabilities.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
Well, I'm an adult with a steady job and I can't advocate that policy. There's way too much overlap between Xbox and Playstation. Pick the one that has the more appealing first party stuff or exclusives. For me, that's always been Sony, and even then I'm sick of both God of War and Uncharted.

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
I actually spent more money on video games when I was a teenager with a part time job, when your an adult you don't just have a job you have responsibilities that get in the way.