Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 238138 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1075 on: December 10, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64
LOL this is MESSED up

I for one loved Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Where Galaxy is my favorite and Super Mario 64 is my least favorite. I also contest that they have pretty significant differences between each other.

Perhaps, but you can't deny that Galaxy is the most linear out of them and that can definitely attribute to tastes differing.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1076 on: December 10, 2007, 02:46:13 PM »

what the hell!?

I'm no stranger to complains, rants and crazy nitpicking, hell you people know it perfectly, but this is beyond absurd, its just seriously retarded, sunshine better than galaxy!? IN STORY OF ALL THINGS!? WTF!?, and I've also defended sunshine to death, but these complains I'm reading... jesus, I have no words, and coming from me should tell you something. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm going to NeoGaf for more SMG impressions and criticism instead of the stupidity I'm seeing here, yes f!ck!ng NeoGaf if you can believe just how absurd that sounds.
I agree. The complaints that are warranted are the weak hub world, the instant quicksand death, and the flying controls which should have been better, but weren't terrible (they were the same as in the past).

The rest of these complaints really are negligible. The linearity isn't a flaw, but some people don't like it as much as exploration. I respect that, but you can't say the game is bad because of it.

To me the control and camera complaints are odd; I haven't found anything wrong with either.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 10, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
I admit the hub world isn't as cool as the "look into the sun; here comes a suprise level" as seen in Mario 64, but to say it's weak is a little underrated. It gets the job done, just like how SMB3 got the job done.

As for the flying controls, I can see how people can suck at them, but that's honestly what makes it fun; the learning curve. You have to take into account the camera since it's not always behind you and thus makes it hard to control at some moments, but I've since got it down and it's a blast. I just wish Mario still had those little wings on his hat.

And to those people bitching about the story, Galaxy has the most story I've ever seen in a true Mario game. The fact that it has a main story, and THEN a side story is proof of that fact.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 10, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

LOL this is MESSED up

I for one loved Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Where Galaxy is my favorite and Super Mario 64 is my least favorite. I also contest that they have pretty significant differences between each other.

Perhaps, but you can't deny that Galaxy is the most linear out of them and that can definitely attribute to tastes differing.

Galaxy is definitely the most linear, but I have a different place in my heart for all 3 games.

Other than that, I am not entirely understanding your point here....  But I'll do my best.  

Basically, as we know, it is all subjective.  I am just observing that we are now seem to be seeking out the personal faults of the person stating their opinion.  That falls into the realm of inappropriate in the sense of upholding a balanced forum; which seems to be the expressed attitude based off of the regulation measures and the rules of this place anyway....  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:42 PM »

LOL this is MESSED up

Galaxy is definitely the most linear, but I have a different place in my heart for all 3 games.

Other than that, I am not entirely understanding your point here....  But I'll do my best.  

Basically, as we know, it is all subjective.  I am just observing that we are now seem to be seeking out the personal faults of the person stating their opinion.  That falls into the realm of inappropriate in the sense of upholding a balanced forum; which seems to be the expressed attitude based off of the regulation measures and the rules of this place anyway....

::points at Mantidor:: There is your culprit. We were having a civil discussion before he started insulting people who may ::gasp:: like Sunshine better.  For the heck of it though I'll give specific faults I have with the game. Some are preferences some are gameplay design flaws

1. Camera can get disorienting in SOME instances
2. Controls not switching to 2D in segments that require 2D platforming
3. Hub World is bland and uninspired, which is really disheartening because the hub was one of my favorite parts in BOTH Mario 64 and Sunshine
4. No Yoshi
5. Spoilers for when you get all 120 stars [spoilers] Luigi is clunky as heck to control and seems like he was more of an afterthought control wise to make him "different" [/spoilers]
6. Too many timed events, more so than the previous too.
7. Boss fights are repeated too much.
8. Final Battle was fun, but played out similar to previous fights.
9. Some elements that were introduced appeared to be forgotten, such as the [spoilers] UFO [/spoilers]
10. The path to new stars was kind of disjointed by throwing in star launch pads that take you to different parts of the level, it seemed too convenient. One thing I liked about Sunshine and Mario 64 is that you can see how the level progresses when you go after new stars, and the new paths make sense
11. Being able to look around levels from a first person or zoomed in "free look" was severely limited. I wanted to appreciate the beauty of some of the levels but couldn't with the locked in camera. IT makes no sense to me why they didn't include a button press to enter into a free look mode.
12. This may sound silly, but the story didn't really connect very well. If Mario is going to have a story at least have it progress with the game, not have it be an optional "story book" time which seemed like a convenient way to not meld it into the game.

For the moment those are some things that irked me. There are more than likely others but I can't think of them now. Really I didn't have problems with flying once I understood the "Freeze" button press that lets you aim. Swimming was a pain but it has always been in Mario games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: December 10, 2007, 04:30:55 PM »
You're not scared of swimming GP. You're scared of giant eels.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 10, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

I HATE YOU. ::hides::

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:03 PM »
"10. The path to new stars was kind of disjointed by throwing in star launch pads that take you to different parts of the level, it seemed too convenient. One thing I liked about Sunshine and Mario 64 is that you can see how the level progresses when you go after new stars, and the new paths make sense"

I agree with that one. I think it makes the "galaxies" seem a lot smaller than they really are. They don't feel as open-ended as the ones in 64.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 10, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »
How the hell is Galaxy more linear than Sunshine? Both force you to take stars in order but Sunshine has maybe 8-10 levels with linear progression while Galaxy has a serious crapload so for each star only maybe 2-3 follow.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 10, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
How the hell is Galaxy more linear than Sunshine? Both force you to take stars in order but Sunshine has maybe 8-10 levels with linear progression while Galaxy has a serious crapload so for each star only maybe 2-3 follow.

True, Sunshine has you go towards one star at a time, but the levels themselves are built more for exploration and you can take different paths. Galaxy on the other hand is quite obviously on a linear path, you go from one planet to another following star gates. Not to mention that each star changes your path by conveniently shooting you off to another planet. Boss fights are the worse offenders, you basically go in a "straight" line from A to b to get to a boss.

Perhaps a better term for Galaxy is that it is OBVIOUSLY linear in nature, Sunshine does a much better job of making it seem like you have freedom when you may not, things are more seamless and don't feel as forced especially since each shine you get in Sunshine changes the world in some way like you accomplished something. For example, I remember the polluted bay in Sunshine, when I defeated the source of the pollution it cleared up, I got an amazing sense of accomplishment that my actions changed the level. In Galaxy, your actions in a world isn't quite clear most of the time (Yeah some of the larger levels have SOME of these moments, but nothing like 64 or Sunshine), they usually place a different star gate to use, or have an old one shoot you someplace else.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 10, 2007, 10:13:30 PM »
Linear is NOT a bad thing. All the classic Mario titles were linear. Galaxy is like the classic Mario games finally brought properly into 3D. Leave the bulk of exploring and puzzle solving to Zelda. Mario is about platforming action and this is where Galaxy is leaps and bounds better than 64 and Sunshine. The challenge of a Mario game should be over-coming obstacles and enemies to reach your goal, not figuring out what and where your goal is.
In fact, the only missions in Galaxy I didn't enjoy were the few that involved EXPLORING for coins.
Like it or not this is what the Wii is all about. It's about games that are just FUN. They don't have to be technologically advanced, they don't have to have complicated controls that take hours to learn, and they don't have to be free-roaming or open-ended just because that's the way gaming has been headed for ten years. None of these things makes games any more fun. Or any better.  

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Linear is NOT a bad thing.

QFT.  At some point in time people people (reviewers) started to use this to knock a game when it is in fact a legitimate choice to make in game design.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #1087 on: December 11, 2007, 01:44:26 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Linear is NOT a bad thing.

QFT.  At some point in time people (reviewers) started to use this to knock a game when it is in fact a legitimate choice to make in game design.

I can agree with this, HOWEVER, with Galaxy I DID feel it was a valid reason to dislike the game. They set a precedent with SM64 and Sunshine and then didn't even come close to following it in Galaxy. As a result, 3D Mario lost a huge part of it's appeal. Unfortunately, IMO, Galaxy was more like the sequel to SMB3 than it was the sequel to Sunshine. I know everyone HATES Sunshine, but it was WAY better in terms of exploration and discovery. Of course this comes down to preference, but for some of us the linearity of Galaxy is a deal breaker and instantly drops the game below the bar set by Sunshine and SM64.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 11, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »
12. This may sound silly, but the story didn't really connect very well. If Mario is going to have a story at least have it progress with the game, not have it be an optional "story book" time which seemed like a convenient way to not meld it into the game.

That's my whole point.  The story didn't really connect well.  Sunshine's story introduced my most hated Mario Universe Character and was hocky to boot.  The story served and it tied together well.  It was present in its own way with whatever you were doing at the time.  On the flipside Mario Galaxies story was really just an excuse to send Mario into space and could have been done better.  I mean chucking the UFO's at the beginning would be a long way towards that.  Just let the Airships do it.

Going from Galaxy to Galaxy I collected stars to power up a ship to take me where I need to go.  Though there wasn't an overarching feel that Bowser was really in my way in most levels.  The stable of the Koopa Army where almost totally ignored or demoted, except Magikoopa who got an epic promotion.

I do love the linearity of the game.  I wasn't a big fan of confusing 3D exploration of the two earlier 3D Marios.  I just think for what it is there were some weird choices make considering the High Gloss finish of most of the product. (For the record SMB3 is still my favorite, then Galaxy, then Sunshine/SMB2(US))
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 11, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »

Its ok, that water monster in Mario64 creeped the hell out of me more than the eel

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 11, 2007, 05:01:43 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Its ok, that water monster in Mario64 creeped the hell out of me more than the eel

Do you mean that dinosaur one in the mine?

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 11, 2007, 05:23:01 AM »
"In fact, the only missions in Galaxy I didn't enjoy were the few that involved EXPLORING for coins."

So I'm not the only one...

If I want exploration and discovery that's what Zelda and Metroid are more known for and far better at doing.  The reason I hated Sunshine was because it took Mario 64 to the extreme with the amount of walking around and searching you had to do.  It felt too close to Zelda and nowhere close to being enough Mario.  Galaxy isn't 100% perfect, but damn if it isn't the closest to being a Mario game.  They brought the game closer to where it came from and IMO it blows Sunshine and 64 out of the water.  

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 11, 2007, 07:11:17 AM »

yes. i have a phobia of Loch-ness-monster-type creatures.

Dont Judge.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 11, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »

Dont Judge.

::not judging::
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 11, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »
So that new movie (that looks terrible) about a lochness type monster would scare the crap out of you if you go see it, even if it's a fantasy children's movie?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:51 AM »

But that's not a flaw!! That is one of the things that makes Galaxy so amazing! Well, not that by itself, but here, I'll give you an example.

In one of the levels, I was wall-jumping 2D-style. Then, when I reached the top, the only platform I could jump on was directly in front of me. So I couldn't keep jumping left-right like I would in 2D games, but I actually had to jump forward. And the controls let me do that! Then, seconds after that I was doing 3D platforming.

I've said it before - that natural seamless transition between 2D and 3D style platforming, and the blending of the two, makes Galaxy even more awesome. I could see if maybe when you were wall jumping and you pressed back by mistake, you would fall off. But honestly, I don't think I ever made that mistake in the 2D sections. It isn't that hard to press left and right accurately on an analogue stick.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 11, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »
Those exact points, IceCold, is what made the 2d/3d controls in super paper mario frustrating at times.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

But that's not a flaw!! That is one of the things that makes Galaxy so amazing! Well, not that by itself, but here, I'll give you an example.

In one of the levels, I was wall-jumping 2D-style. Then, when I reached the top, the only platform I could jump on was directly in front of me. So I couldn't keep jumping left-right like I would in 2D games, but I actually had to jump forward. And the controls let me do that! Then, seconds after that I was doing 3D platforming.

I've said it before - that natural seamless transition between 2D and 3D style platforming, and the blending of the two, makes Galaxy even more awesome. I could see if maybe when you were wall jumping and you pressed back by mistake, you would fall off. But honestly, I don't think I ever made that mistake in the 2D sections. It isn't that hard to press left and right accurately on an analogue stick.

Most of the time it worked, but the wall crushing event in the desert galaxy was extremely sloppy in its execution. The majority of time the controls worked for 2D events, but for some reason that one was poorly pulled off.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 11, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »

Dont Judge.

Well I have a phobia of water levels period, I was scarred for life from the Dopefish in commander keen. Ever since then I've HATED water levels and the creatures in them if they are big. Though if it makes you feel any better back when I first got Mario 64 I was concerned about that loch ness monster thing because I remembered seeing pics of it. Though it didn't terrify me like the eel, it was a tense moment. It is funny when I first played Mario 64 at Toys R Us I got the eel and I couldn't find him, all of a sudden he swims right by me, scared me to death.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 11, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
I'm scared of the quicksand *shivers*.