Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548597 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1200 on: October 02, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
Do we know if the 3DS has a cable option to charge it?  Or are we stuck playing it till it goes flat, then leaving it in the cradle for an hour or two?

I think you missed my point.  I've got no qualms about the streetpass business.  What I am EXTRMEMELY skeptical about is Iwata's claim that piracy busting will run 2nd fiddle to adding new features.  They haven't inspired my confidence with the Wii.  What was the last patch on the Wii that gave us genuinely new features? 

nope. I got your point. I agreed with you in that I don't see new features taking a backseat to piracy blockting firmware patches. I just elaborated on why I think piracy is that main reason for this always on data push connection. New features and tacking on pointless side games (trophy fight... LOL?) are all just reasons to get you to NOT turn the service off so that they can data push to you all these anti-piracy checks.

Fair enough, my bad. 

Source: Kotaku
Wait, what? Isn't this the same company that kept regurgitating that total bullsh*t "specs don't matter" line? Oh, they matter... when the people making the games are bitching about your hardware. And it only took Nintendo 4 years to figure out what everyone else in the world already knew. Perhaps they're turning over a new leaf.

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome, but do they really believe that or is it just PR, telling us what we want to hear.  If this is just PR then they will just do again what they have done with the Wii.  Is the 3DS really powerful for this day and age or is it just another typical upgrade?  As much as I would love to believe what they are saying, I will wait and see if they truly do pull their heads out of their backsides and pay attention.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:49:43 AM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1201 on: October 02, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
Nintendo said the 3DS comes with a AC adapter.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 02, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »
Hey BnM could you start a '3DS Games' thread with confirmed games, potential launch games etc.?
That way this thread can be specifically about the sytem, and games can more thoroughly fleshed out as we discover them?

The level of 3rd party support Nintendo is receiving suggests that they (as they claimed) took a lot of advice from those 3rd parties and are being rewarded for their openness and compliance with game support not even the DS/DSi received. Nintendo has two pieces of the puzzle right now: its own dedicated fan base, and the casuals who might just as easily consider the iphone their primary gaming station, all they are missing is the 'hardcore' gamers who could be attracted with games like MGS and RE (and maybe even Kid Icarus once gameplay is shown in commercials). Let's be honest, if the 3DS was the DS3, had the same or slightly better graphical upgrade, but didnt do glasses-free 3D and maybe the 'slide pad' was a user-configurable touch panel with haptic feedback we would all still be similarly excited (or skeptical) about the system. I didnt even know glasses-free 3D was possible in 2010(11) until hearing about the 3DS so I would not have been disappointed about them not including it. The 3D effect is a cool feature, but for Nintendo the most important aspect is the developer support that attracts a new audience. I'm still skeptical about how much the 3D effect will add to gameplay (if it can be turned off, can it also be crucial to game?) but it will be nice eye candy and make it more immersive, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:23:01 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/29/iwata-nintendo-plans-to-support-third-party-publishers-more-with-3ds/

Oh and I had a link with a long list of 3DS games, but now I can't remember what I did with it....
I had planned to make a thread with a 3DS games list yesterday, but got distracted and never got around to it.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 02, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »

Is that A/C adapter for the cradle or for the unit itself?  Or even better, both.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 02, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/09/30/a-list-of-all-confirmed-3ds-launch-titles/

Not all of these are launch titles like the site claims but it seems like a pretty complete list of confirmed titles. I'll start a game thread.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1206 on: October 02, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »

Is that A/C adapter for the cradle or for the unit itself?  Or even better, both.

I am not sure, it just says AC adapter: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24168
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 03, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome, but do they really believe that or is it just PR, telling us what we want to hear.  If this is just PR then they will just do again what they have done with the Wii.  Is the 3DS really powerful for this day and age or is it just another typical upgrade?  As much as I would love to believe what they are saying, I will wait and see if they truly do pull their heads out of their backsides and pay attention.
Are you kidding? Look at the games. They're gorgeous and, more importantly, Nintendo is getting major releases from 3rd parties. They must be doing something right.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
Good news.  They are hinting at the game prices staying close to DS levels.  I'm guessing maybe $35-40 instead of the current $30-35 structure.  Not bad.  I buy PSP games at $40. 

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »
I just posted about the game prices in the game thread, but I wonder if low priced software will justify the high hardware price?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1210 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
$50 after SquareEnix tax confirmed?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »
Not for nothing, but could we keep talk of games to the games thread, and this thread for discussion of the console?

I posted in the general chat's tech thread about AR, and afterward I looked for reviews on the 3DS's AR and Engadget mentions that in moving around they often lost the sweet spot for the 3D effect. They're the only ones who mention this, but other reviewers talk about moving around an entire table, so it may be a small factor but it sounds a like it could be a little disorienting if the AR game gets intense.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 08, 2010, 01:00:59 AM »
Will the 3DS have a charging cord and port, or will it be dependant on the cradle?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »
Will the 3DS have a charging cord and port, or will it be dependant on the cradle?

Hmm a question from Kytim that I think can actually be answered, but I surely don't know. I'm interested in knowing as well, anyone?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1214 on: October 08, 2010, 01:46:47 AM »
That was basically discussed just a few posts up.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: October 08, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
Why didn't Nintendo include the slid pad for the original DS?

because they hadn't invented it yet....?

It jsut seems like such a simple invention that they could have thought it up long ago and put it on the DS in the first place.

They had one on the NES Max.

Dude, you made the right decision ignoring it the first time around, a smarter decision than I made.  A fancy 3D perspective won't fix Muramasa's two big problems: tedium and monotony.

You forgot repetition.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:12:34 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 09, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/08/nintendo-emphasize-focus-on-nintendo-3ds-online-services/
Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, realizes this is easier said than done, however. Describing it as what he calls a bitter learning experience at an investor Q&A, Iwata admits that Nintendo have struggled to encourage people to take their Wii and DS systems online.

In light of this, one of the major goals for the 3DS is to allow people to experience “Something New Every Day” through the system’s online features. In order to facilitate this, Iwata feels it is imperative that Nintendo encourage people to take their Nintendo 3DS systems with them wherever they go, which will allow the system’s SpotPass mode to download content passively for them, thus demonstrating the 3DS’s online functionality.

In Japan, Nintendo have teamed up with numerous Internet providers, retailers and fast-food joints to create numerous wireless hotspots for the 3DS (over 2,000 by March 2011). Iwata reveals that they plan to do the same in the U.S. and Europe. Speaking to investors, he said:

“We must be able to offer clear-cut reasons for the overseas users to be willing to carry around Nintendo 3DS when they go out. Although we have not come to a conclusion on whether we should explore the possibility of the likes of Nintendo Zone or, like our collaborations with NTT East and NTT West, should deal with the entities which are offering free Wi-Fi access points, we are eager to proactively expand the access points so that an increasing number of people in the U.S. and Europe too can feel that it is fun to carry around a portable gaming device wherever they go out.”
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:04:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 09, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
So they do learn...

What can they really offer on a daily basis that will make people run back into the house to get their 3DS though? It would be cool if there were five or so non-cartridge games you could choose from and whichever you chose would receive a new level/puzzle everyday until the next round of games came out.

This quote also makes it pretty clear cut that there is no 3G in the 3DS.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
If there was 3G, Street pass would be a waste of time. 

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1219 on: October 09, 2010, 07:49:07 PM »
Because there is no 3G we won't be lead in to some deal with a carrier. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for network access, I'm fine without it.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1220 on: October 09, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
The idea of 3G in the 3DS was to make it like the Amazon Kindle whenre the cost of lifelong 3G usage is covered by the cost of the device.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
That idea doesn't work on a device that's going to do more than just download a few books every now and then.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1222 on: October 09, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
Which is probably why it didn't pan out, but there was an Iwata interview where he mentioned liking that model which created the 3G rumours in the first place.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 10, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »
The 'Kindle model' 3G was never meant to be used to play games on it in Nintendo's mind. I'm pretty sure Iwata stated he wanted it pretty much to allow people access to the 3DS store. I'm sure if they did that there could be 'gold access' or regular wi-fi connection available for the gaming side of things online.

You know, that might explain the high price tag... /rampant misplaced speculation
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Japanese Gamers Dislike Price
« Reply #1224 on: October 13, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14366

GetNews.jp recently conducted a survey, translated by GamesIndustry.biz, with 1000 participants and of those questioned 19.2% stated that the handheld was too expensive, 28.3% said it was expensive and a further 32.2% of the participants questioned said it was slightly too expensive.

In contrast to this only 16.4% of participants said that they felt it was reasonably priced, while 2% said it was slightly inexpensive and 0.9% said it was inexpensive.

Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata recently defended the price of the handheld claiming the excited responses at E3 caused the high price. Additionally he stated that handhelds, unlike consoles, do not need a television to work and just because handhelds used to be cheaper this doesn't always have to be the case.

Nintendo is really acting differently this generation. I bet if they knew the Wii would sell like crazy they would have raised the price some. As long as there is a jet engine powering my DS I will be happy.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn