Author Topic: Bands  (Read 35953 times)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Bands
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2003, 08:56:28 PM »
chris caraba is the bain of my existance, my friend who i lived with for a while is a big emo fan, and im the complete opposite to him (like the odd couple! babumpanbabdaaa etc) seriously, most emo puts me strait to sleep. some of it i dont mind, but most blergh makes me go out into the tv room and beat his brother at smash bros (64 one, GCN wasn't out when i was living there)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Bands
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2003, 11:18:07 AM »
Does he drive a volvo too?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2003, 11:20:25 AM »
it's funny becuase "emo" is my initials.

"Eric Michael O'Brien"
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2003, 10:58:55 AM »
Wow uh bringing this topic back from the dead, but does anyone here listen to Silverchair?  I know you Aussies must have heard of them.  They're a pretty sweet band.  Also does anyone here like Temple of the Dog?  I know they were a one shot supergroup but the CD is fantastic.  Oh another thing didnt Sparta just recently tour with Pearl Jam? I think I saw them, they werent too impressive imo, but my judgement might have been a little messed up because I could not wait to see PJ.  Oh and for the guitarist thing, Keith Richards(The Rolling Stones), Jimi Hendrix (duh)  Stone Gossard and Michael McCready(Pearl Jam) and Kurt Cobain.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2003, 02:35:30 PM »
*hugs Kraven for being a good newbie and not starting another thread*

Anyway, I'm not a great fan of Silverchair for some reason or another. The old stuff was good, but their new stuff just doesn't do it for me like "Tomorrow" and "Freak" did.

New music I'm listening to at the moment:
Blink 182 - self-titled: I bought this because of "Feeling This" but the whole album is excellent, if a little weird. Anyway, it definitely feels like Blink, but with more mature and mellow lyrics. Get it!
The Living End - Modern ARTillery: I think this is just out in the US, so there's no excuse for not getting excited about these guys now, after so long out of it. Catchy riffs, great lyrics, an all-round great album. Get it too!

Offline Kraven

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2003, 03:28:55 PM »
hehe i love the first line in "Freak" "No more maybes, the babies got rabies" lol. I can definitely see what your saying Shifty, their older stuff was harder it seems.  There newer stuff seems more orchestrated i guess.  Its got violins, and all that fun stuff.  But some of that works well like songs like "Cemetary" which is one of my favorites.  
Is the new Blink album good?  I'm not really a fan, but i like their new song and some of their older stuff like "Adams Song" and "Stay Together for the Kids" Oh and thanks for the hug i needed that lol.  Its been a boring night.  Can't go anywhere, im snowed in basically.  

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2003, 04:05:40 PM »
Yeah, its well worth it. I've been playing it in my car since I got it. There's a couple of strange bits (interludes, reciting letters etc) but the music on there sounds different, but feels Blink-ish. I flicked through the booklet, and my favourite songs at the moment are "Feeling This", "I Miss You" (but I'm a fan of anything acoustic ) and "Go"

Offline Kraven

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2003, 04:47:00 PM »
Maybe I'll pick it up.  I need to expand my musical taste.  It feels very narrow right now.  Alot of Pearl Jam, alot of Nirvana, alot of Everclear, alot of Silverchair, a little of Linkin Park and some classic stuff like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. But not alot of diversity.  You know who I started listening to again is Michael Jackson.  Now dont laugh at me.  I bought Thriller like a month ago, Michael Jackson was a good artist but he lost the attention from the public he had and now is doing weird stuff to get back in the spotlight.  I almost feel sorry for him.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »
Mad World and the Pixies are awesome, but I'm not fond of Blink182 or Sum41.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Murk280

• Fox in socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2003, 05:51:20 AM »
Mouseclicker, you've got a nice list there.

Nirvana
Beck
Cake
Radiohead
Yoko Kanno
Queen
Pink Floyd
David Bowie (The old type)
The Pixies
Aphex Twin
The Hives
Weezer
Beastie Boys
The Beatles
and almost all 80's music
"Time flys like the wind.
Fruit flys like bananas."
~Groucho Marx

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2003, 07:20:55 AM »
Nice list, murk.  Bowie's not my favorite, and I'm not quite as fond of 80s music as you are, but a good list overall.

Further Seems Forever is also a great band.  I saw that get mentioned.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2003, 04:55:18 AM »
Metallica
Danzig
Megadeth
Motorhead
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Iced Earth (I shall miss Matt Barlow but welcome Ripper Owens)
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Opeth
Dream Theater
Nevermore
In Flames
Judas Priest
Corrosion of Conformity
Shadows Fall

Favorite guitar player has to be Yngwie Malmsteen.  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2003, 12:16:25 PM »
after reading through this entire thread, i have to say one thing. thats that sales and popularity should never be used to determine the quality of music. i'm not saying that good music wont sell, but i see a lot of crap sell much more then it should. why? becouse its all anyone hears. turn on mtv at any time and you're guarenteed to see the same bands they've been playing for the past 4-12 months. unless of course one of the record companies payed to get a video played on trl. the radio is no different becouse they basically play what mtv makes popular. only my opinion, but there just isnt anywhere to hear different music and people can only buy what they hear.

as for bands i listen too, i'm glad to see that one person listed type o negative. a few others are KMFDM, NIN, ICP, kyuss, marilyn manson, esham, twiztid, ozzy, guns & roses, and corrosion of conformity. i have trouble finding anything new that i like, mostly becouse as i said above there is no where for me to hear the type of music i listen too.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2003, 01:45:54 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the members here are largely rock people. I'm very much into R&B (NOT Rap), things like Missy Elliot, Monica, Kelis, Destiny's Child etc. What I believe makes rock/rnb different to pop, is that in most cases, rock/rnb artists (co)write their own music instead.

Offline silverdonut

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2003, 02:28:49 PM »
I like simple plan and good charlotte. Punk is b-e-a-utiful.
WARNING! Never attempt to directly fax anyone an image of your naked buttocks. Always photocopy your buttocks and fax the photocopy.
-Warning label on a fax machine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2003, 02:34:14 PM »
Pop punk, rather- Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are most definitely not straight punk.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline silverdonut

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2003, 02:52:52 PM »
Yes, I know that. I was just saying that I like punk.
WARNING! Never attempt to directly fax anyone an image of your naked buttocks. Always photocopy your buttocks and fax the photocopy.
-Warning label on a fax machine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2003, 02:59:57 PM »
As do I, for the most part- Simple Plan and Good Charlotte aren't my favorite bands by far, but I do like most of their stuff.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Kraven

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2003, 03:03:20 PM »
Ah I love the old pop-punk genre... not really, but isnt that an oxymoron?  You cannot be punk and mainstream(pop), i.e Good Charlotte and Simple Plan, why don't people get that?    

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2003, 03:04:55 PM »
It's just a term for lighter punk.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2003, 03:38:56 PM »
hahaha can't be punk and be mainstream, i'll just let blink 182, sum 41, good charlotte etc know.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2003, 04:19:39 PM »
of those bands you mentioned I have only listened to Sum 41 and Good Charlotte (which by the way are from my area, well at least the area where I work. )
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2003, 11:04:49 AM »
Hmm, well since the most standarized version of punk is against what is mainstream, ya he's right...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2003, 11:22:58 AM »
Guns & Roses is a good band, too.  Dat Sweet Child songs is among me favorites ever, and it gives me ideas for movies that I could potentially make in the future. . .

Offline Kraven

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2003, 11:49:43 AM »
Does any one have a definition of "punk" music?  What do you have to do to be "punk"?  I