Author Topic: Geesh, I'm so ******* old...  (Read 6803 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Geesh, I'm so ******* old...
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »
I felt old when I saw a preview for the re-release of Jurassic Park and it advertised that it was the 20th anniversary...

While watching Batman: The Animated Series, an ad for War Games came on.

There's a big, booming voice... "There was a time when computers connected through the phone..."

Wow.

Who knew that technology I grew up with would already be so outdated that it's now referenced as a mythical concept.

But for kicks, the ad goes on... "When Internet security was easy to hack..."
Heh.

I guess some things never change.

And yes, I know, computers still regularly connect via phone lines.  Hell, I often use my cell to connect my laptop... I guess The HUB doesn't know this.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Geesh, I'm so ******* old...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »
The HUB has a game based on The Game of LIFE...let's not let them color your life.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:46:52 AM »
I recently felt pretty damn old a couple of times:

1. When I started working for Disney a few months back, and only 2 or 3 people in our 8-person group had actually seen Disney's Beauty & the Beast (and most hadn't seen The Lion King, either).  When I mentioned this to my folks, they reminded me that that movie was over 20 years old.  I remember seeing that film in the theaters, and most of the ones that followed it every summer.  :(

2. When I recently was watching the anime Steins;Gate and a character pulled the audience aside to explain what a "pager" was.  Damn it, it wasn't that long ago that I remember those things still being in use here in NA, yet the show treated it like ancient history.  :@
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
I don't even need a reason to feel old. I've felt like a 90 year man ever since I turned 16. I'm an old person trapped in a relatively young person's body.
Gouge away.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
The first time I felt old I was working and this guy and his kid came in the shop. The kid looked at an original Xbox and said "Hey dad, what's that?" and the dad said, "That's from before you were born."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
The first time I felt old I was working and this guy and his kid came in the shop. The kid looked at an original Xbox and said "Hey dad, what's that?" and the dad said, "That's from before you were born."

Ouch.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
I still enjoy playing Megamania, Kangaroo, and River Raid on my Atari 2600. What's wrong with me?! >_<
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
While watching Batman: The Animated Series, an ad for War Games came on.
I saw War Games in the theatre. Also, Rocky, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Raiders, E.T., Conan, Superman, Time Bandits, Meteor, etc. etc.

I don't just feel old. I AM old. I even remember going to the theatre when folks still smoked during the movies. The seats had little flip-open ashtrays on the arm, like airplane seats used to.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:08 AM »
I remember how a computer with a CD drive was something special. And how colour printers were not in every household. It's not that we're old, the world just changes at an amazing speed...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
I remember how a computer with a CD drive was something special. And how colour printers were not in every household. It's not that we're old, the world just changes at an amazing speed...

It's both actually, unless you've got some secret to staying young...

haha I remember my first PC, it was a hand-me-down from my folks that was still running Windows 95 on it but it just looked bad-ass because it was black, the monitor was on these two curved mounts that held a hidden disk drive that would pop-up when pressed in. At the time I'd never seen a black computer either, everything was off-white or grayish, and to this day I haven't seen a separate disc drive like that.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
I remember how a computer with a CD drive was something special.

A computer with a CD drive is still pretty rare. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
First PC had Windows 95?

Man, I am old.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
Mine was some DOS thing.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
My first computer ran Mac OS 7.6 and was made by Motorola. A fucking clone; one of Steve Jobs' first acts after coming back to the company was to kill the clones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
I didn't own a computer til I was 14, it had Windows ME.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
First PC was a plug-in Tandy Job to the TV.  Second was a Tandy Machine.  Now the first one that was personally mine was this "little" pad from Radio Shack that I could fill up typing reports, (Picture Page 24).  The second one was a Compaq laptop in glorious grey scale running Windows 3.11 with Tabworks.  The first one I build from scratch was Windows 98 using the method where you copy the OS to disk first and then installed the OS (Much Faster at the time.) Next was the Motherboard and Processor I got for my graduation present from High School.  Which was a Slot A AMD Athlon which when I graduated they had moved back to regular chips at that point.  Then I inherited a friends of mine Linux box which was a Pentium 3.  Next was the AMD Turion HP Laptop with Touchscreen.  Then it was the little little AMD Box from HP with a Sempron that I replaced with a Athlon II X2 before turning on.  Now I have a i7-3770s.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
Yeah, first PC was a Tandy, then we got an old ass Mac (black and white, all in one, forget the model). Then my brother had a Gateway 2000 with 333Mhz CPU and Windows 98. I bought my first PC which was a 667Mhz Celeron running Windows ME, which I upgraded to XP ASAP. Then I built my own with an Athlon Thunderbird at 1Ghz and a GeForce 4. Then it crapped out and I bought a refurbished Dell C521 which I then switched to an E521  w/ AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3.1Ghz I believe), and still use at work. Bought a bitchin' Gateway FX laptop after that (C2D 2.26Ghz, 1GB GeForce 9800), which I still have but now I'm on my Samsung Series 7 w/ i7 3635QM.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
My first PC had Win 98. And it crashed at least once a day.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:52 PM »
All these posts on Tumblr reminding us that the 90's were 20 years ago.  :(

Thankfully, I'm not a nostalgia whore, i.e. miserable.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
Didn't have a Vic20 with a tape drive? Get out

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
I had a loom with punchcards.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »
All these posts on Tumblr reminding us that the 90's were 20 years ago.  :(

Thankfully, I'm not a nostalgia whore, i.e. miserable.

I decided to watch Superbad, first time in a long time, and I can't believe how babyfaced Emma Stone looks. She's borderline unattractive because she looks TOO young for me now, it's fucking weird.. especially because we're about the same age...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
I never feel old! I eat raw cloves of garlic to reverse my aging. I go to bed at around 6 pm to stay super fresh! I constantly watch 90's Nick and feel perfectly relevant. My preferred beverage is green tea with Jasmine. My wife is only 13 years older than me and my daughter...

*sigh* I'm an old Chinese man in a mixed Pokemon black&white body...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
I thought you looked Chinese. We'll have to voice chat again, but this time I get to show off my chest hair. ;)

I found an old pair of shoes in my closet that I haven't worn forever. Airwalks that I wore to make me feel like I fit in with the skateboard crowd back in the day. Listening to Dead Kennedys and Danzig and Nitzer Eb and Chemlab.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
I never feel old! I eat raw cloves of garlic to reverse my aging. I go to bed at around 6 pm to stay super fresh! I constantly watch 90's Nick and feel perfectly relevant. My preferred beverage is green tea with Jasmine. My wife is only 13 years older than me and my daughter...

*sigh* I'm an old Chinese man in a mixed Pokemon black&white body...

Does Not Compute
black fairy tales are better at sports