Author Topic: Famicom @ 30: Jon Lindemann muses  (Read 1090 times)

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Famicom @ 30: Jon Lindemann muses
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »
Longtime listeners to RFN know that Greg Leahy started importing consoles at a young age. First the Super Famicom, then the N64, Wii, etc. What you may not know is that Lindy was import gaming before that Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts Guru was even born! Let's go back shall we? Back to the summer of '83.

I remember it well. It was the summer before my senior year in high school. Picture Vin Diesel with hair. I was fast and furious back then, know what I mean? I was no Don Juan, but I was mack-daddyin' a little bit, I could charm the ladies, spinning records at the local album oriented punk rock disco as DJ Silk. Life was good. And like most youth at that time, the arcades were my scene. Gobbling dots, jumping barrels, inflating monsters, I could do it all. So when I heard through the flax fields that some arcade-quality consoles were coming to Japan that summer, I thought I'd get the 411.

At first, the Sega SG-1000 interested me. Particularly a game by this cat named Yuji Naka, Girl's Garden. But I found out the title wasn't what I thought it was, so I looked at the Family Computer, Famicom for all the cool kids. The launch games were Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Popeye, so a ton more than what the WiiU has. I had never played Popeye, but I was told I looked like the sailor if you squinted a lot and I definitely ate a lot of spinach to keep in shape for the DJing gigs, so I thought I'd get that too.

When I picked up the Famicom and three games from the import shop in Toronto, I couldn't wait to play them. But there was a problem. You may be aware that I'm somewhat known for my videogaming backlog. Yuji Horii personally sent me a tear-stained congratulatory note on my completing Chrono Trigger, in part saying: "You've made an old man happy. I can die in peace now." I was touched. Well, then as now, the shelves relentlessly stared at me, trying to sap me of my will. I resolved to finish off my Fairchild Channel F backlog of games first. Mind Reader was balls-hard man! And Video Whizball made Battletoads look like a walk in the park with Kermit.

Well, it's getting late and the thought of traveling the 4-0-0 in the ATL in the morning makes Mr. DiamondJ want to listen to 187 albums, so I'll call it a night and update you on my Famicom adventures tomorrow. Peace out!

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Famicom @ 30: Jon Lindemann muses
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »
November 1983. The NHL season had started. I was spinnin' "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" at the club in its honor. I had shown Drag Strip and Spitfire who was boss and the seven year itch that was the Faichild Channel F was over!

Now was the time for the Famicom unboxing. Maybe I can dig up the Betamax tape and post it to my YouTube account, IncredibleLindy. This system was deluxe for the time. Wired controllers. As in hardwired to the console itself. Kind of like the anti-Wave Bird. The second controller had a microphone on it! It sounded better than WiiSpeak. When I moved to Atlanta and couldn't find my headset right away, I rigged it to use on Skype for RFN. I bet you didn't notice the Nintendo difference!

Donkey Kong. What can I say, I loved that game! When I sang The DK Rap on the 2011 RFN Child's Play event, it was like it all came full circle. A single manly tear rolled down my face as I thought of the fun I had on that red cartridge. Kill Screen? Just about every time I hit the level with the springs was my kill screen! I have their two note sound effect set as my ringtone for people I don't want to talk to. It sets up the appropriate feeling of dread in me.

Donkey Kong Jr. How can such a white cartridge contain such a black heart? My mind was blown. Mario, the villain? Keeping DK caged? Was that how Mr. Mustache kept Pauline? Was he the villain the whole time? I was an agent of evil in the original? Now you know why I said **** Super Mario Galaxy. Now you know why I didn't play Super Mario Bros. 3 for decades. He could make alligators climb up vines. He could make flying vultures shoot out eggs on command! As a result, for years I said that Super Mario Bros. should have been titled DK and Son. It should have starred a hero, not a zero.

Popeye. Look I'll get around to it. You can't rush these things. You have to play a game when it's the right time for you. Maybe we can use my opening it as a stretch goal for RFN Child's Play 2013. Actually playing it would be a goal for 2014.

Next time I'll tell you about one of my all time favorite games: Donkey Kong Hockey. And about how I attempted to learn French using Popeye no Eigoasobi.