Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!  (Read 38671 times)

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 06:23:09 PM »

Originally posted by: StrikerObi
Imagine 2 GBA SPs hooked together. There is no way this thing will be in the same price range as the GBA. I'm thinking this is Nintendo's answer to PSP, which means it will be a high-end product to keep it from wrekcing the GBA market.

I don't look for it to be near the price of the PSP, but I'm with you all the way, I don't see this for under $200.  I'm actually surprised (and impressed) by this announcement; yes these things are possible in split-screens, but split screens on a portable device?  I'm happy Nintendo went the creative route instead of simply bumping up the hardware specs and pushing out a new portable system.  Of course this all depends on how third-parties adapt to the concept, so we have to wait and see, but there's a ton of possibilities!  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline the whatz that?

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 06:30:27 PM »
me just waits and shivers to the VBness of this...
nothing much here to see

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 06:33:03 PM »
I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the price.  Realize that Nintendo is already getting a great deal on GBA screens, and it looks like the Nintendo DS will just be using two of the same screen (or something very similar).  It's the same size, at least.  The processor miniaturization is what adds so much cost to portable products.  With my gut instinct telling me this will be primarily a 3D system, I'm more worried about the price from those components.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 06:34:14 PM »
Hmm... sounds gimmicky to me, but I'll wait and see.  I have a suspicion that it'll be about as innovative and interesting as GBA-GCN connectivity (in other words, not at all)

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 06:35:54 PM »
Yawn. Man, another portable? why not have one giant screen rather than have 2 screens? I don't want to be bothered by an extra screen. I think Nintendo's gone nuts.

And I don't think it's revolutionary, either. Soon they'll run out of ideas on how to use the 2 screens, and there will be games that only use one screen. How are you supposed to play a Mario game with 2 screens?!  

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »
I agree, I'm glad to see that Nintendo continues to inovative while others just pump up the specs and slap a successing number on the end (ie: Playstation consoles). I hope that 3rd parties will give this idea chance. The last thing Nintendo needs is a failure.

One thing that I have questions about is this: How exactly will this system complement the others? To me, it seems like a GBA [SP] successor. I suppose connectivity between this system and the Cube/GBA is likely.

As for this following the road of the VB, I would sure hope not. I believe that Nintendo has had their share of mistakes and luckily has always recovered. Most of their failed attempts (No, the Gamecube is NOT a failure you XBOX fan boys) took place in the SNES era. The VB, the modem adaptor, the BS-X, etc. All of these were before there time or just were crappy ideas. The world is ready for this idea (and probably was in the SNES era as well) and I think that with proper marketing and 3rd party support it can be a great success.

I think many of us have learned from TWW not to quickly dismiss Nintendo's ideas but to give them a chance. So I say that we just be open to the idea and let's see what the Big N has in store this time around.

Also, I can easily see this as a 3D system. Having 1 GBit media storage is completely outragous for anything but that.

[How's that for a first post!]  
Thanks for listening.

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2004, 06:48:42 PM »
This is actually a pretty cool idea, though surprising. It definitely creates a lot of new gameplay opportunities (1 screen has 1st person view, the other has 3rd/overhead view, separate screen for the menu, rear view mirror for driving games, etc.). But I don't really know why this couldn't be done using split screen...and I wonder how the dual processors will change things.

I really was hoping for a new online network though . Maybe for the N5...

Oh and it will have one gigaBIT of RAM, not one gigaBYTE. Just to clarify.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2004, 06:48:51 PM »
Eh, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed right now with this new product. I mean so what if you can see two screens at once? Wasn't that one of the ideas behind linking up the GBA with the GameCube? Now they expect us to get a completely separate system to do the same thing? I just don't see how this is going to innovate game play all that much. There better be more to this thing and the two screens better offer some truly cool new game play features or I'm not interested.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 06:53:44 PM »
My concept design for Nintendo DS

Hosted by my friend at the Nformant because my personal webspace wouldn't cooperate and I didn't want to deal with PGC's anti-leeching software.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 06:57:07 PM »
Smadte: New products always require new thinking- you shouldn't be viewing the DS in the same light as the Gamecube or GBa, but rather in its own light, with its own kind of games.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2004, 07:00:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

GOLD++

Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline ObsidianDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 07:04:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

Hosted by my friend at the Nformant because my personal webspace wouldn't cooperate and I didn't want to deal with PGC's anti-leeching software.

That's harsh man, lets hope it doesn't turn out like the VB.

Honestly this has a lot of potential. However, it is unlcear how this is the "third Pillar" for nintendo. I think there is quite a bit they have not told us yet.  

Offline the whatz that?

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 07:05:45 PM »
this is going to flop
nothing much here to see

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2004, 07:08:18 PM »
I'm confused, but I think the idea of having two equal processors controling different screens is interesting. It means you could do a whole lot more with that second screen than just show a radar which is, I guess, what most people will try at first. Should be interesting and different. Anyways, I liked Iwata's statement last week about how some people were going to hate the idea without ever playing it, but that those who gave it a whirl would hopefully really enjoy it. Seems like a pretty accurate assessment so far.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2004, 07:19:16 PM »
...I would have to agree. Come on people, Nintendo knows what they are doing. They make inovative/quality products which at first may suprise you, but are truely great. Unlike other companies who only make products they look good on the surface but really suck when you have time to use them (ie: NGage). Just give 'em a chance.

I will say, though, that this doesn't seem like the usual Nintendo product.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2004, 07:37:24 PM »
ds is sp upside down.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
Hmmmm...so it is!
Thanks for listening.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2004, 07:41:59 PM »
 I'm thinking it will be like the old Game&Watch layout. with the button format somewhat identical to the regular GBA and a flip screen like the sp only there will be a screen on bottom and on top. this seems to be the best way to keep the system "hand held".
One day I will.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2004, 07:49:35 PM »
Well I'll admit this is kind of neat and it's creative but it also sounds pretty dumb.  I actually can think of some pretty cool uses for having two screens.  Like Ty mentioned X-Men was two screens so this could work great for widescreen style games like X-Men or Darius.  I also have always thought it would be cool to make some sort of racing/shooting game where one screen shows in front of you and the other shows the side so you can do drive by shootings.  This also works well for multiplayer games (though that probably wouldn't work too well on a portable).

However while these ideas are neat and cool they DO NOT need their own hardware to be made possible.  If they really wanted to make games like this they could have just made the N5 able to hook up to two TVs at once.  As it's own hardware this is gimmicky at best.  It would work okay as a successor to the GBA which has two screens and thus allows designers to use either only one if they want but as a "third pillar" this doesn't make sense.

I REALLY don't want to see Nintendo crash and burn but this really doesn't sound like something people are going to go nuts over.  If they're depending a lot on this thing to carry them into the future they may be in big trouble.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2004, 07:54:02 PM »
Okay, can someone tell me this. What can you do with two separate screens that you cant do with one really long screen?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2004, 08:00:10 PM »
"Okay, can someone tell me this. What can you do with two separate screens that you cant do with one really long screen?"

If they're able to be moved (like two TVs) you can play a FPS death match on one machine without the other player seeing where you are.  However I doubt a portable will allow for removable screens.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2004, 08:03:18 PM »
Yeah, im hoping Nintendo have thought of a way to make each screen float in midair, while making the connection between the system(s?) and the screen(s?) wireless.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2004, 08:16:11 PM »
Does Nintendo have to do this EVERY YEAR?  Last year they announced the SP right after Christmas, this year the DS.  I'm a bit worried about this one--its dual-processor nature reminds me of the ill-fated Saturn.

This isn't a new idea, either.  Some guy at Nintendo probably saw an old Game & Watch game and said "Why not?"
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2004, 08:17:36 PM »
I actually got an e-mail about this (being a Nintendo member somehow *shrug*) and I just can't get excited.
Interested? Yes. Curious? Hell yeah. But I just can't get excited over the vague description so far.

Speaking of the G&W, I used to have one. It was the Mario Bros game, and you controlled Mario and Luigi as they moved stuff along conveyor belts. Crazy stuff, I'd play it for hours on end. But now I can't find it. It was kewl...

Offline Paronomasiac

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2004, 08:19:08 PM »
A long-time lurker, first time poster....

Two screens, both backed by separate processors ? Hmm. Can you say Stereoscopic 3D ? While VB-ish, I think it would be great to play Virtual Mario in full color, where u ARE Mario, looking through his eyes .....

..Or I could be completely wrong.

I would love to know this gizmo's Form factor...

Mr. Paronomasiac