Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32941 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
I was always a "Play it LOUD!" person, myself, though I am also fond of "Get N or GET OUT!"
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
It's On Like Donkey Kong
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
Yes my predictions of Super Wii are coming together nicely!

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
Nintendo already has a good grasp on the casual group, and that group imo is much larger than the hardcore group. If Nintendo is now gonna go after the hardcore group with technology to back them up, then they may have made the right decision when they went the route of the Wii first.

Also, name it the Super Wii Turbo! Why? I dunno, but it would be pretty S-Wii-T.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »

Then how about catering to both crowds-- just call it the Wii60!  :P: : : : :

In all seriousness though, I'm almost willing to guarantee the name will be "Wii [something hardcore sounding]". Mark my words, it'll something along the lines of "Wii Nitro", "Wii Nexus", "Wii 3000"... something that will appeal to both casual and hardcore audiences.

Wii HD.

Even still, you want it to sound like a new system, not just a slight improvement or a new feature. That's why I don't think they can simply tack on a subtitle to the Wii. It works when the brand is "Nintendo" itself, as proven by Super and 64.

NES HD? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
This suggests to me more than ever before that Jonny was right on RFN when he said it's going to be Super Wii. The NES was for everybody, for kids, had a lot of shitty games in addition to good ones, and then the SNES was kind of the realization of the fan's dreams. Plus, it's nostalgic without going straight up Nintendo Entertainment System.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
If the Super Wii is going to be the second coming of the SNES then it is more than welcome to be so on the condition that it have a superb list of RPGs like the SNES had in its day. Games such as Last Story, Xenoblade, DQX, and Pandora seem to be an indication of where the RPG genre is heading on Nintendo's console, so now all we need is Square to release a numbered Final Fantasy and perhaps a sequle to SMRPG and Chrono Trigger. Man, if this were to pass then I would the first in loine to buy the console when it launches.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
I agree with everyone here who mentioned "Super Wii" as a possible next console.  NES 6 sounds too much like the Friday the 13th & Nightmare on Elm Street sequel counts, and Wii is too much of an equitable brand name to let go.  Nintendo may want to recapture some of the hardcore market, but they sure as hell don't want to relinquish their casual appeal that printed them money for the last generation.  Nintendo's stockholders wouldn't stand for a hardcore gamer-only approach, because it would completely hamstring their potential consumer base.  The Name "Super Wii" in my opinion bridges the gap between hardcore and casual gamer, as the "super" is nostalgic of the Super NES (many hardcore gamers consider this system the "golden age of gaming") while the "Wii" has the mainsteam appeal and instant brand name recognition.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2011, 12:04:26 AM »
NEW DETAILS

IGN is reporting that the system is fully backwards compatible and that Nintendo may have a pre-announcement this month.

If Nintendo does announce a new console in the next few months wouldn't that shoot down the late 2012 release date? Would Nintendo announce a new console THIS far ahead in advance? The problem with announcing it 1.7 years ahead of time is it gives the competition time to prepare and to steal ideas, and it would also do harm to Wii sales as well. So if we hear an announcement of a new console soon I doubt its going to come out any later than late 2011. Because if its coming out late 2012 they should just wait and announce it at E3 2012.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
If the Wii 2 ends up being backwards compatible with GameCube games (which is what I would assume they mean by "fully backwards compatible"), that would be pretty awesome.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2011, 12:20:10 AM »
Here's my wish for the Wii2/SuperWii/NES6.0:

Wii motion plus controls for Wii 2 games.

Start that as the standard right out of the gate so every game has that functionality.  Also, it'll mean I won't have to buy another set of plastic peripherals for another new system.  I already have the following for my Wii

- 2 Wiimotes
- 2 wii motion plus adapters (I'm stupid for being an early adopter to this, when I should have known they would come out with a wiimote that didn't require the stupid cheap plastic attachment)
- 2 nunchucks
- 2 Driver wheels
- 2 Classic Controller
- 1 Classic controller pro
- 2 gamecube controllers

While I'm afraid this won't happen due to retailers needing something to sell to make a profit, I really wish it would be considered, and frankly, it wouldn't be a half-bad idea for Nintendo to adopt this strategy.  Could possibly give those sought after Casual players more incentive to buy the New system if they know they don't have to buy more plastic to go with it.

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Being an HD-capable system requires it to be powerful. Powerful hardware is a basic cost of entry going forward. That was more or less a given.

The "recapturing the hardcore market" stuff is not likely Nintendo's words. The horsepower will surely make it a more attractive platform for 3rd parties, and that's nice, but I would never believe Nintendo is attempting to directly compete with Sony or MS on their hardcore turf so bluntly until I saw it with my own eyes. Their basic business model works very well for them, and I can't see it changing.

That being said, they have been slowly moving their technology (and prices) up over the last several years. Coming out with a reasonably powerful system at $300-ish wouldn't be surprising, and it would likely compel Sony and MS to make something even more powerful and potentially disadvantage their pricing.

Suddenly I care about E3 this year. Who knew. ;)
"wow."

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »
E3 is to gaming what Wrestlemania is to wrestling.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »
They should call it "Revolution" just to **** with everybody.

I presume none of these rumors hold any weight. Some are safe bets and some aren't. Considering how secretive Nintendo is, the idea that this much would get leaked so early is ridiculous. I remember when we were talking about 3DS employing the Tegra II. It almost seemed like a sure thing. How silly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
Wow. Nothing like a rumour which sounds like something someone pulled out of thin air to get people talking.

To me, this just sounds like stating the obvious. We know the next system will be HD because Nintendo have said so. The rest sounds like things they said about the 3DS, such as capturing the hardcore market too.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »
I'm also nervous about Nintendo going all hardcore...I know that the term "hardcore" seems to always be in flux, but I always think of  homophobic slur slinging MW2 playing 14-year olds when I think of "hardcore gamers."

I decided to go "hardcore" after a owning an N64 (aka the system that had only 10 games on it) so I skipped GC and went PS2.  Big mistake.  I should've at least splurged for both, or just stuck with Nintendo.  I missed out on the Prime games, RE4 with beautiful graphics, Smash Bros, Sunshine, WindWaker, the list goes on.  What did I get from the PS2?  Onimusha 3: Demon Seige?  Metal Gear Solid 2?  Killzone?  FFX?  FF X-2?  FF12?  Burnout 3?  Burnout Dominator?  Need for Speed anything?  Ratchet and Clank anything?  Jakk and Daxter?  All these really mediocre, forgettable, or even bad games.  I think I can count the games that I really really cherished on the PS2 on literally 1 hand, and still none of them come nearly as close to the great Nintendo games I've played on the Wii this generation.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 01:01:03 AM »
I hate to say this but the PS2 really excelled at Fringe Tastes.  There was a game for about anything.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2011, 01:01:13 AM »
ICO? Shadow of Colossus? God of War (I & 2)? Any sports games? Time Splitters? Okami? GTA?

PS2 was the ****. But so was the Xbox. Every system had a game I wanted. Luckily my friends and I had different tastes so I got to play them all.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:03:17 AM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
ICO? Shadow of Colossus? God of War (I & 2)? Any sports games? Time Splitters? Okami? GTA?

PS2 was the ****. But so was the Xbox. Every system had a game I wanted. Luckily my friends and I had different tastes so I got to play them all.

Yeah, I have to second that, and I didn't get a PS2 until a few years ago.  Just in terms of quantity and quality of console libraries, the PS2 is a close rival to the SNES (at least in terms of my tastes, which are RPGs and adventure games).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 01:12:42 AM »
That being said, they have been slowly moving their technology (and prices) up over the last several years. Coming out with a reasonably powerful system at $300-ish wouldn't be surprising, and it would likely compel Sony and MS to make something even more powerful and potentially disadvantage their pricing.

Here is how I see it.

-Nintendo releases Gamecube 2.0, a sub HD system with motion controls
-System becomes huge success and Nintendo profits tremendously
-MS & Sony very obviously take notice and plan their entry into motion gaming
-Nintendo releases the Motion Plus, pushes out as many as possible
-MS & Sony release their motion control devices hoping to rejuvenate sales and extend the cycle long enough to recover massive losses
-Iwata: Laughs.... then announces New Wii2 that is a nice leap over PS360
-Wii2 releases (early 2012) and becomes lead console for multi-plat development
-Sony & MS scramble to leap frog the Wii2 & releasing no earlier than late 2013 for MS and sometime in 2014 for PS4
-They make their systems much more expensive than the Wii2 placing their consoles as way too expensive to develop for and therefore still receiving Wii2 up ports for their first 2 or so years....

then BAM Wii3 is being released the year after (2017).
Flawless Victory
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:28:25 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
BigJim Stuff
BnM Master Plan

Where I disagree is the "then BAM Wii3..." part.  I think they would try to PS2 it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
They should call it "Revolution" just to **** with everybody.

I presume none of these rumors hold any weight. Some are safe bets and some aren't. Considering how secretive Nintendo is, the idea that this much would get leaked so early is ridiculous. I remember when we were talking about 3DS employing the Tegra II. It almost seemed like a sure thing. How silly.

Early kits of the 3DS supposedly did use the Tegra2 chipset, then they (N) decided to go with 3D and things changed as cost needed to be cut and battery needed to conserved. Nvidia was the one pumping their own stock early on by mentioning the TegraII was to be in the next handheld. I've documented it all in the rumor thread somewhere.

as far as todays news, supposedly the Game Informer guys have gotten in a little trouble with their source as they were to "sit on this news until after Nintendo made their announcement" which is supposedly happening sometime next week (or b4 the month is over?)?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:29:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 01:22:37 AM »
The Wii successor will be called the "Evolution" in the same way the original Wii was called "Revolution." Although the final system will be called either the Wii 2 or Super Wii when it is finally revealed.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:21 AM »

You notice I didn't name those games :-)

Okami and Time Splitters, though?  I tried both, and they didn't quite stick.  Especially Time Splitters.  I went in really wanting to like it because I'd heard so many good things about it, but the game just felt like a late 90's era FPS.    And as for GTA, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, especially on these forums, who don't like sandbox games.  I see why people like sandbox games, but I like a more directed experience in my gaming, which is probably why I like Nintendo games as much as I do.  And let's face it, the PS2 didn't get any good sports games, AT ALL, until the Dreamcast died and 2K started putting out games on the PS2.  EA Sports is mediocre at everything except a few of their FIFA games.

I knew that I missed Nintendo systems when I went totally apesh*t over Katamari Damacy, thinking "Oh, this is so unique, what an amazing game, it's so inventive, etc..."  I freakin' loved that game at the time, though, in hindsight, it was basically downloadable game quality, being that it had only 1 game mechanic and it just used it the exact same way over and over and over again.  But it was the game that made me realize "I really, really miss gameplay-focused games.  I really, really miss colorful, vibrant graphics.  I am so over being a graphics-whore."

Which brings me back to my point.  I want my next Nintendo console to be a Nintendo console, and not another PS360 hardcore console. 

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »
Yeah, I have to second that, and I didn't get a PS2 until a few years ago.  Just in terms of quantity and quality of console libraries, the PS2 is a close rival to the SNES (at least in terms of my tastes, which are RPGs and adventure games).   

Oh yes, the JRPG selection on PS2 was crazy big.  But my problem with PS2 JRPG's was that everyone seemed to be following the formula set out by FFVII of lots of exposition, crazy long 20 minute cutscenes, super long battle animations.  As if a JRPG has to be over 40 hours long, or it wasn't a JRPG at all.  FFX was okay I guess, graphically at the very least, but then there were all these crappy ones, truly crappy ones like Star Ocean:  Till the End of Time, whose ending will make you want to take a baseball bat to the game disc, your PS2, and your brain, in that order.  I won't spoil it, but suffice it to say, it's like the game is laughing at you and saying "You just spent 50 hours and I'm pissing on that commitment you made."  And Grandia 3, which took a good game and a great combat system from Grandia 2  and just took a crap on it. 

Don't get me wrong:  I love JRPG's.  But the DS's selection is much better.  (Okay, technically not a console, I am not overlooking that point).   FF3, FF4 remakes, all those Dragonquests, Shin Megami Tensei, World ends with you, Lufia, Etrian, like just crazy JRPG's that just never, ever came out in the US before, at least, not on the same console, it literally made importing useless.   And you can just put it in sleep whenever, and no 20 minute cutscenes!