Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32940 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
They can't use the name Nintendo either because that has a bad rep with the "hardcore" crowd. Also yes get rid of the Wii name, who cares about the brand recognition to the 80+ million who bought Wii's.

I think they could easily get away with going back to the "Nintendo Entertainment System", with everyone simply referring to it as "The Nintendo" like they did back in the 80s. It's simple, it's to the point, and also lends itself to multiple incarnations (NES, NES 2, N3S, NES 4, NE5, NES 6, NES 7, etc). They could immediately start out with the proper "NES 6", which would ultimately look much better than "Wii 2" when sitting on the store shelf next to higher numbered machines (PS4, XBox 180). Besides, the way I see it, "Nintendo" is the brand that should be marketed... encompassing the console, the games, and the service.

If Nintendo really wants to shake their image (which I don't think they do), a new name isn't going to do it. The so-called "hardcore" crowd will see through that anyway, as they keep themselves at least that well informed.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
They can't use the name Nintendo either because that has a bad rep with the "hardcore" crowd. Also yes get rid of the Wii name, who cares about the brand recognition to the 80+ million who bought Wii's.

"Nintendo" is the brand that should be marketed... encompassing the console, the games, and the service.

I like it. It's like when a band releases a self-titled album later in their career.

Reggie:

Ladies and gentlemen I give you... the Nintendo!

Yeah!

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »

They can't use the name Nintendo either because that has a bad rep with the "hardcore" crowd. Also yes get rid of the Wii name, who cares about the brand recognition to the 80+ million who bought Wiis.

Then how about catering to both crowds-- just call it the Wii60!  :P: :

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
They could name it "Gamesphere" in honor of the Gamecube. Of course, the console would have to be shaped like a sphere (but flat on the bottom for obvious reasons).
is your sanity...

Offline Ailingforale

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
While I'm excited for it, I can wait till 2012, that's cool... do it right.  Now for those worried about the next gen PS and that other console 1-up'n the next Nintendo console, I don't think you have anything to worry about really.  The way games look now on the other 2 systems, you can only really add so much.  If the next thing Big N puts out is better than the current competition then even if they put out another, it's still going to be amazing. 
When 3rd parties are actually getting into the groove with the hardware, not to mention that kinnect thing, why would they need to come out with anything else.  Nintendo is the only company right now that "needed" an update.
However, if 3rd parties tried a little harder and if Nintendo would have stopped allowing so much shovel-ware on the Wii, it probably wouldn't have been mocked as much.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

Then how about catering to both crowds-- just call it the Wii60!  :P: : : : :

In all seriousness though, I'm almost willing to guarantee the name will be "Wii [something hardcore sounding]". Mark my words, it'll something along the lines of "Wii Nitro", "Wii Nexus", "Wii 3000"... something that will appeal to both casual and hardcore audiences.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:33:19 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
I think Nintendo needs to break the from the current hardware release cycle so that they're not going head to head with MS and Sony.  That might happen with the Super Wii but I think MS will release the Xbox 3 close to the Super Wii. PS 4 will probably be a couple of years later.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »
NEW DETAILS

IGN is reporting that the system is fully backwards compatible and that Nintendo may have a pre-announcement this month.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
NEW DETAILS

IGN is reporting that the system is fully backwards compatible and that Nintendo may have a pre-announcement this month.

Does that include GameCube titles?

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
Jumping before they're pushed? Hard to keep a secret these days.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Crimm -- BnM posted that twice in the time you took it to post it once. Just hire the man already!

Anyway, Chozo Ghost is nominated for WORST POST OF THE YEAR for the idea of naming the next system Hercules.

LMAO

I like Morari's suggestion. The Nintendo sounds delictable, but it isn't going to happen either. Wii is too big of name to simply throw away. It's like throwing away the DS name (though they did throw away the Gameboy name, but that was because the DS might have failed).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
I agree. "Wii" is not going away, and "2" would look immediately lesser than "4" and whatever number the next Xbox has. Nintendo might do what they did from the NES to its successor and call the Wii's successor the "Super Wii". That'd be a pretty good title, methinks.

I agree that if this console really isn't coming out until 2012, that Nintendo localize a bunch of titles like Xenoblade, The Last Story, et al to give the Wii a nice swan song, along with Skyward Sword, that is.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Crimm -- BnM posted that twice in the time you took it to post it once. Just hire the man already!

Shhhh.... my post are subliminal.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
Super Wii sounds pretty terrible.

What about WiiNES? :)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
The rumour seems so specific to exactly what I want that it seems unbelievable.  I'm sure there is a new Nintendo console on our doorstep but the details of the rumour are so core gamer specific that it feels like Game Informer telling their audience what they want to here.

What Nintendo ideally would want to do is keep the casual market without turning off the core.  I don't know what name would work with both though it is kind of Nintendo's blunder if the casual market does not know the "Nintendo" brand name.  It is the same company making the DS and Wii and if the casuals don't associate the two, Nintendo really goofed on marketing.

I doubt Nintendo wanted the Wii to be purely the casual console but the way they designed the hardware and marketed the console, it worked out that way.  I think they wanted to expand but took the core for granted, assuming they could keep them with the odd Mario or Zelda game.  But the core was not interested in a token effort and bailed.  There is the simple arithmetic that casual + core > casual alone.  Why turn away a big chunk of the market, even if the casual chunk is bigger?

But then I also think that casuals are fickle and have no loyalty.  Smartphones will be a threat and Nintendo kind of has noted this with their whining about $1 games.  I think that relying solely on casuals is foolish.  Maybe Nintendo is thinking the same thing so they need to attract the core so that if/when the casuals bail they aren't stuck with nothing.

But we shall wait and see.  Nintendo can **** ANYTHING up.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
For the record I maintain Kevin Sorbo is awesome.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
This is soooo exciting!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

NEWii

is the name. Just watch. I guess 2011 and 2012 will be releases of tons of 'lost games' . I totally expect Disaster Day of Crisis, Fatal Frame, Trace Memory to get US release date to help out, also xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora, that new kirby game and other surprises to pad out the months.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »

I was notifying that the story was updated. I was in no position to update the story before that.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
Hopefully, when this system is unveiled Nintendo will prove that it actually has been learning from the many failures of the Wii, and created its next console accordingly.  Otherwise, I'll sit this Nintendo console generation out, as I'm not up for yet another 5-6 years of gaming library mediocrity and 3rd party abandonment.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
Hopefully, when this system is unveiled Nintendo will prove that it actually has been learning from the many failures of the Wii, and created its next console accordingly.  Otherwise, I'll sit this Nintendo console generation out, as I'm not up for yet another 5-6 years of gaming library mediocrity and 3rd party abandonment.

Their approach to the 3DS makes it pretty clear that they're aware of the problems with the Wii and are attempting to fix them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
Ooo, I like the sound of NES6 and Famicom 6. Maybe "The Nintendo Six" or "The Nintendo" would really work.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
"THE Nintendo Entertainment System"  Sounds definitative.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
I can see movie trailer like commercials coming out for it.

From the People that Brought You the N64 and Wii

Comes the Ultimate in Video Game Experience

The Nintendo Entertainment System

Coming November 2012

Be N or Be Out

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
I can see movie trailer like commercials coming out for it.

From the People that Brought You the N64 and Wii

Comes the Ultimate in Video Game Experience

The Nintendo Entertainment System

Coming November 2012

Be N or Be Out

It could break out of one of those Cubes the people were trapped in with the GCN.  But I like the "Now your Playing with Power" line more.