Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32942 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »

The new system may be more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/26066

UPDATED: Updated with IGN rumor of a pre-announcement and backwards compatibility.

The next Nintendo console may be revealed at E3 this June, if not sooner.

According to Game Informer, multiple sources state that Nintendo will release a new system in late 2012 capable of running games in high definition. While Game Informer says there are conflicting reports as to if the system will be more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Kotaku reports that it will indeed be more powerful than those systems. In addition, sources have told IGN that the unannounced console, "is significantly more powerful" than the 360 and PS3 and "that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market."  Game Informer's sources also mention that Nintendo has already begun showing off the new hardware to third party developers in order to gain their support.

It is not known if the rumored new system will carry the Wii brand, what the online infrastructure may be, or if it will feature motion controls like its predecessors. However, IGN is reporting that the system is "fully" backwards compatible with Wii software. The anonymous sources told Game Informer that the system will not be a gimmick and that Nintendo "did something right."

NWR contacted Nintendo about the rumors, and the response we received was that "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

The wait for information may not be long; IGN is reporting Nintendo may have a pre-announcement planned for later this month.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
This was exactly what I was hoping for. Sure, its just a rumor at this point, but it is reassuring. The only thing about the rumor I wasn't happy reading is the "late 2012" release. That means diehard Nintendo fans will have to drag on for another year and a half with the Wii and its shitty lineup.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:39:40 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
Nintendo next system will have Xbox Live integration?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »
If the rumor is true, that's the first of many steps Nintendo has to take to regain some semblance of 3rd party support.  I'm just waiting for word of the oh-so-Nintendo gimmick or obvious omission that will destroy that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
The power difference is natural but the "recapture the hardcore market" comment has me worried. That sounds like they're going to fall back into the mentality that created the Gamecube.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
I'm working on the assumption that a PS4 and XBox720 would blow a Wii 2 out of the water in terms of pure hardware punch. However, I think much more interesting would be whether Nintendo standardizes and future-proofs some of their tech, like adopting the latest programmable shader tech instead of using the way the GameCube did stuff. As much as sheer hardware power, I'm guessing it's the non-universal circa-2001 technical interfaces that the Wii inherited from the GameCube that could also be giving hardcore developers pause when considering what platforms to target.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
If this rumor is true I won't be eating my shoe.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
So if they are already showing it we are talking at max 2010 tech.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
In before Mark Rein bitches about how the Super Wii can't run UE3.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
Do I dare allow myself to hope!? :-\ ...................................... ;) :D ;D :Q ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
So if they are already showing it we are talking at max 2010 tech.

The rumor (I must emphasize that all we have are rumors at this moment) is that they're showing something. That doesn't mean it is final hardware.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
I'm working on the assumption that a PS4 and XBox720 would blow a Wii 2 out of the water in terms of pure hardware punch. However, I think much more interesting would be whether Nintendo standardizes and future-proofs some of their tech, like adopting the latest programmable shader tech instead of using the way the GameCube did stuff. As much as sheer hardware power, I'm guessing it's the non-universal circa-2001 technical interfaces that the Wii inherited from the GameCube that could also be giving hardcore developers pause when considering what platforms to target.

This is what we were discussing in the rumor thread a for the last week or 2. This is what I had to say on it:
I would expect atleast twice the performance of the PS360(combined). I wouldn't expect it to graphically blow the PS360 out of the water or anything(diminishing returns), but the game would be to leap frog current HD consoles just enough for long enough to be the lead console in multi-console dev and then force Sony & MS to leap so far over Nintendo's effort that that they will hopefully be too expensive to develop for and instead they get up ports from Wii2 instead for the first few years of their existence.

Then they should be able to launch the Wii2HD @ $299.99 that is roughly on par with PS3 & X360 combined x2
That would mean 1080p @ 60fps without overtaxing the system, and that's with 90% of effects enabled simultaneously.

And also IGN is reporting full BC with the Wii.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
Nice. Can't wait to hear more about it.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
Exciting times ahead. Ah, new console hardware times. It's been a while.
While the late 2012 time frame is a worrying, I hope some of big Wii games like Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower will come to North American and European shores to make the wait to not be too bad.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
I am soooooooooooooooo taking the day off work to watch Nintendo's E3 presser this year. What day is Nintendo's? The 6th? I take it the NWR crew will be there?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »
Should we start the naming pole for the Wii successor?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »
Despite tradition, I think it's possible Nintendo could launch a new console in the spring or summer, as they just did with 3DS. This would let them devote Christmas 2011 to Zelda, then get out new hardware before the end of the fiscal year (at least in Japan).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
Should we start the naming pole for the Wii successor?

It has to be "Super Wii" but I'll also take "N.E.S 6"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »

Despite tradition, I think it's possible Nintendo could launch a new console in the spring or summer, as they just did with 3DS. This would let them devote Christmas 2011 to Zelda, then get out new hardware before the end of the fiscal year (at least in Japan).

hopefully followed by a rerelease of that same Zelda with improved graphics and controls.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
I hope they ditch the Wii brand name. If they want to retake the hardcore market it would be wise to drop "Wii" because that name has a bad rep with that crowd. What hardcore gamer who was disappointed with the casual shovelware of the Wii is going to want to buy the Wii 2? Give it a badass name like Hercules, or something. Who wouldn't want to own a "Nintendo Hercules" console?

Wii = Weak
Hercules = Powerful

And let's face it, the "Wii" name is ridiculously easy to make fun of.  The good thing about naming a console "Hercules" is you can't really trash it no matter how hard you try.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:05:13 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
This certainly would explain the recent drought of upcoming Wii releases. If it's true, I just hope they don't try going too hardcore and release something with a $400+ price tag. The recent increases in food and gas prices have hit me hard and have already forced me to put off getting a 3DS (and I'm sure that's likely one of the reasons 3DS has hit a slump already). And they better not try anything stupid like ditching motion controls as the standard just to appease the outspoken minority.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
If the Wii 2 does have a motion controller, would it be compatible with regular Wii games, or will I need a controller for both system's games?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
If this does turn out to be true, I think we'll have our answer on why Skyward Sword was delayed... *cough* GameCube *cough* Twilight Princess *cough*

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
I hope they ditch the Wii brand name. If they want to retake the hardcore market it would be wise to drop "Wii" because that name has a bad rep with that crowd. What hardcore gamer who was disappointed with the casual shovelware of the Wii is going to want to buy the Wii 2? Give it a badass name like Hercules, or something. Who wouldn't want to own a "Nintendo Hercules" console?

Wii = Weak
Hercules = Powerful

They can't use the name Nintendo either because that has a bad rep with the "hardcore" crowd. Also yes get rid of the Wii name, who cares about the brand recognition to the 80+ million who bought Wii's.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
If this does turn out to be true, I think we'll have our answer on why Skyward Sword was delayed... *cough* GameCube *cough* Twilight Princess *cough*

Yeah but people were excited about Twilight Princess :P: