Author Topic: EA CEO Frustrated by Low Wii Sales  (Read 39771 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: EA CEO Frustrated by Low Wii Sales
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
Capcom might not want to put in the time and effort to make such a thing work, but people are giving them the excuse to be lazy by saying that it's just not possible. Just because it's easier to port around between HD systems doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth the time and resources to create a system or an engine that works for Wii. It's very common to re-use these engines for many different games and they already built a RE fanbase on the Nintendo console, that's why it makes sense to attempt it in the first place.

Well, that's the thing.  I have to agree with Pro on this and say that I didn't want RE5 on the Wii.  I didn't want to see them try to down-convert all those HD resources on crappy SD Wii.  I was (and am) still fond of the idea of doing a proper Wiimake or Resident Evil 2 (which it seems just about everyone wants in some form or fashion) using that RE4 Wii engine.  Or hell, make a proper sequel or sidestory to RE4 using the RE4 engine that actually continues that game's story rather than the direction that RE5 took in closing the long-running Wesker story.  New game, ground-up designed for Wii, everyone's happy.  Instead, we're getting Darkside Chronicles on Wii, which is kind of what we wanted but not really.  Oh joy.

I think it's a waste of time to criticize Capcom for not putting RE5 on Wii when what we should be criticizing them for is not doing anything else with that engine on Wii.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:53:27 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »
That's not biased. Capcom released every mainline RE title on the Nintendo Console(RE0 - RE4) and didn't follow up with RE5. The fanbase for RE likely already had a Wii in wait for RE5 and it never came. That is the gap.

I'm glad we are getting MH3 and I will be buying it. I will probably get TvC too, but it still doesn't make sense how something like MvC can go to PSN/XBLA and not come to Wii. That would have been a perfect way to build anticipation for another vs Capcom game that we are getting with TvC.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
That's not biased. Capcom released every mainline RE title on the Nintendo Console(RE0 - RE4) and didn't follow up with RE5. The fanbase for RE likely already had a Wii in wait for RE5 and it never came. That is the gap.

The same can be said for Sony except RE 0.  RE5 sold more than RE4 on the Cube and Wii combined and will shortly become the best selling RE of all time.  I think it did okay without being on a Nintendo console.  Most people also avoided RE2,3 and CV on the GC.  They were dreaded ports and were quickly dropped from retail.  On PS2 they sold at least decently.  This article isn't the newest and doesn't include RE4 sales.  However, it doesn't paint the picture of the Wii being the best RE fans.  http://uk.cube.ign.com/articles/463/463614p1.html 

Summary for US
 RE1 on PS1 almost 2 million units.  GC almost 500,000
 RE2 on PS1 about 1.7 million units.  GC almost 33,000
 RE3 on PS1 about 1 million units.  GC almost 42,000
 CV on PS2/DC about 1.2 million units.  GC Unknown.

Sure it was a bad idea to not move this to the Wii?  You could have had those 33,000 (at most) that grabbed the entire series.

According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_evil_4
The GC RE4 sold 1.6m to the PS2 2.0m.  Didn't help that they announced the PS2 version before releasing the GC version, but you would have hoped that the GC version being superior would have pushed sales.

They probably figured releasing MvC on the Wii would mean people would buy the $10 MvC and forgo the $50 TvC altogether.  They probably also figured Wii owners are less likely to buy a download only title rather than a full retail title. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:00:02 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »
They probably figured releasing MvC on the Wii would mean people would buy the $10 MvC and forgo the $50 TvC altogether.  They probably also figured Wii owners are less likely to buy a download only title rather than a full retail title.

With MvC there's a problem with Wii owners just not supporting online downloads as much as Nintendo would like.  Maybe if more Wii owners purchase Virtual Console and WiiWare we could still see it.  We're certainly seeing the HD consoles getting each other's download games after a certain period of time.  Also keep in mind that this incarnation of MvC's big new feature was online play, something that (once again) is not a strong suit of the Wii.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:20:54 PM by broodwars »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »

The same can be said for Sony except RE 0.  RE5 sold more than RE4 on the Cube and Wii combined and will shortly become the best selling RE of all time.  I think it did okay without being on a Nintendo console.  Most people also avoided RE2,3 and CV on the GC.  They were dreaded ports and were quickly dropped from retail.  On PS2 they sold at least decently.  This article isn't the newest and doesn't include RE4 sales.  However, it doesn't paint the picture of the Wii being the best RE fans.  http://uk.cube.ign.com/articles/463/463614p1.html 

Summary for US
 RE1 on PS1 almost 2 million units.  GC almost 500,000
 RE2 on PS2 about 1.7 million units.  GC almost 33,000
 RE3 on PS2 about 1 million units.  GC almost 42,000
 CV on PS2/DC about 1.2 million units.  GC Unknown.

Sure it was a bad idea to not move this to the Wii?  You could have had those 33,000 (at most) that grabbed the entire series.

According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_evil_4
The GC RE4 sold 1.6m to the PS2 2.0m.  Didn't help that they announced the PS2 version before releasing the GC version, but you would have hoped that the GC version being superior would have pushed sales.

There's so much factually wrong and misleading in this, I don't know where to begin or want to begin.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »
Thanks for reposting my whole post and giving no new information.  Some of the #'s may be outdated, but it's no surprise that the PS2 versions of RE have sold much better than the GC versions. 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks for reposting my whole post and giving no new information.  Some of the #'s may be outdated, but it's no surprise that the PS2 versions of RE have sold much better than the GC versions.

*psst*  Resident Evils 2 and 3 were on the Playstation 1, not Playstation 2.  The only direct comparisons you can make between GC and PS2 are with Code Veronica X and RE4.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:42:19 PM by broodwars »

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

*psst*  Resident Evils 2 and 3 were on the Playstation 1, not Playstation 2.

So there's a typo in my typed (not linked) information.  Does that mean they sold on a Nintendo System but not on a Sony System?  According to this CV on the PS2 almost sold as much as RE1, RE2, RE3, CV, and RE0 on the Wii.   If you add RE4 and CV on the PS2 together they do outsell all GC sales.  The point was that their was an untapped Wii RE fanbase that was ignored.  I don't see that.  From PS1 to PS2, most RE titles have sold very well with CV being the only one under a million sold.  RE4 was the only GC title to go over 1 million.  RE2,3,CV on the GC shouldn't even count because they sold so poorly. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:49:20 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2009, 10:45:14 PM »

*psst*  Resident Evils 2 and 3 were on the Playstation 1, not Playstation 2.

So there's a typo in my typed (not linked) information.  Does that mean they sold on a Nintendo System but not on a Sony System?

The problem with your logic is that you're trying to explain how the series sold tremendously better on the PS2 than GC, yet you're using PS1 sales figures instead of comparing the only 2 RE games on both GC and PS2: Code Veronica X and RE4.  I do think there's a particular problem with GCN gamers not supporting games on the GCN, hence the total meltdown of the Capcom 5.  It's the same problem we're seeing with the Wii right now, but you have to pull up better figures to demonstrate your case.

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
I wasn't actually trying to show that the PS2 games outsold the GC games.  I was trying to show that the GC sales were poor compared to the prior sales of RE games on other systems (PS1 +PS2).  I edited my post to convey that.  If you have better #'s you can add them to the post.  As noted these may not be the most updated numbers but they are from reputable sources.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »
I don't think there's a problem with GC owners rejecting nearly-full priced ($40) dreadfully-ported PS1 games.  Those games were originally released during PS1's glorious reign to PS1's astronomically huge install base.

Code Veronica was originally released with decent timing in the Dreamcast's life, and was released a year later to PS2's rapidly-growing audience (still a relatively recent game then) even before GC/Xbox made their playable debuts in E3 2001.  RECV was 3 years old by the time it hit GC at a bargain bin price of $40, sitting next to the $15 copies of the game on PS2.

It wasn't a case of Capcom sharing the classics of the RE series as it was just to RIP PEOPLE OFF.

And PS2 RE4 only sold 400K more than GC RE4?  A sound defeat?  That's worth some head scratching considering how PS2's install base absolutely dwarfed GC's install base.  You'd think it'd sell MOAR.  Or maybe the rest of the PS2 gamers were hesitant to jump into RE's new direction, still clinging onto the traditional play found in spinoff RE Outbreak games.

The Outbreak games would be more suitable for a PS2-GC comparison.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:04:21 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
I didn't say RE4 on the PS2 selling 400,000 more than the GC was a sound defeat.  But it is noteworthy becuase the PS2 was released 10 months after the GC, was inferior to the GC version (except the Wong levels) and supposedly the GC version had the advantage of the RE fanbase due to Capcom making all RE games to this date available for GC.  And despite the deck being stacked towards the GC, it still lost by 25%.

Not sure why the spin offs would be a better comparison?  Because they sold more appropriately due to the fact they are spin offs that weren't at all like the main series?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:16:53 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
Capcom 5.. Resident Evil 5...I should've seen this disaster coming
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »

Great SCOTT, another one of your BIBLE CODE Mayan Calendar revelations.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »
I can't believe we are having an argument from 2004 again.

GC RE4 was technically superior, but 1 month before the release of the highly anticipated game, a game that many PS2 owners were thinking of picking up a $99 Gamecube for, the HYPE was neutered by the announcement of the PS2 version with extra level with Ada Wong. Why would all those PS2 owners that were oh so close to finally pulling the trigger on a GC buy one now that they know the same game with an extra level is coming a little bit later.

Meantime, the GC with it's 25million install base happens to still sell 1.6 mill vs PS2 with their 70 million install base sell 2mill.

That actually sounds more like a victory for the GC to me with a higher percentage of console owners buying the game. Then 1.3 million more rebuy the game with it comes to Wii with improved controls.

But I was never saying that RE5 shouldn't have existed on PS360, I'm just saying that it should have also come to Wii since that is where they were steering the franchises fan base. They left the Nintendo RE fans hanging and to keep us happy, they give us the consolation prize.

I'm glad Pro said it already, but you can't seriously compare the RE games from PS1/2/Dreamcast to the ones that showed up on GC 3 years later at an almost full price.

Offline JLowther

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »

Great SCOTT, another one of your BIBLE CODE Mayan Calendar revelations.

Tom Hanks' mullet is involved here somewhere.

As for the discussion, I think it's a shame we never got anymore RE games (or any games) that controlled like RE4 did with the remote and nunchuk.

I've never replayed a game that long in the past but the new controls made it so easy and fun...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2009, 04:48:21 AM »
If RE4 can be done on the Ipod phone, then RE5 can definitely be done on the Wii. I think contrary to popular myth, the Wii actually isn't that far behind the competition. The Wii (like the GC which it evolved from) actually has very good capabilities, but the problem is that graphical potential is seldom realized. We know decent graphics are possible because in games like RE4 and Zelda this is actually achieved. But sadly, most games on the Wii are non-gamer crap that uses the ugly Miis and so forth. I think people tend to under-rate the Wii's potential because of games like Wii Play and Wii Sports. People are a lot more familiar with these sorts of games, so when they think about the Wii that's the sort of graphics they have in mind.

So graphics aren't too much of an issue. The Wii can't do HD, but that's the only real limitation and not a huge deal to me personally. The only real problem might be with the Co-op and AI stuff as was mentioned, but these things could be modified until they are workable. I am 100% certain Capcom could make RE5 work on the Wii if they really wanted to.

Capcom might have to cut some things out to make an RE5 work on the Wii, but they could also compensate for that by adding new features and better controls and new bonus content that would make the Wii version balance out with the competitors, and possibly a worthy purchase even for those who already own it on the other systems.
is your sanity...

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2009, 07:22:59 AM »
The iphone is technically superior to the Gamecube and even gives the Wii a run for it's money.  It was also Capcom's first major support for the device, they didn't have a failed attempt for the series to fall back on. 

I can't believe we are having an argument from 2004 again.

GC RE4 was technically superior, but 1 month before the release of the highly anticipated game, a game that many PS2 owners were thinking of picking up a $99 Gamecube for, the HYPE was neutered by the announcement of the PS2 version with extra level with Ada Wong. Why would all those PS2 owners that were oh so close to finally pulling the trigger on a GC buy one now that they know the same game with an extra level is coming a little bit later.

Meantime, the GC with it's 25million install base happens to still sell 1.6 mill vs PS2 with their 70 million install base sell 2mill.

That actually sounds more like a victory for the GC to me with a higher percentage of console owners buying the game. Then 1.3 million more rebuy the game with it comes to Wii with improved controls.

But I was never saying that RE5 shouldn't have existed on PS360, I'm just saying that it should have also come to Wii since that is where they were steering the franchises fan base. They left the Nintendo RE fans hanging and to keep us happy, they give us the consolation prize.

I'm glad Pro said it already, but you can't seriously compare the RE games from PS1/2/Dreamcast to the ones that showed up on GC 3 years later at an almost full price.

Tomatoes/tomatoes.  Maybe the GC did a good job with RE4, it wasn't the most "fair" expiriment.  But nothing in life is fair and it didn't do good enough in Capcom's mind.  The Wii version is a port, but you guys want to play the #'s game?  It has a base well on it's way to 3x the size of the GC, it is the superior version in every way, it was a budget price so even people that had already bought the game could upgrade easily and it was still outsold by the GC version.  Fair?  Maybe not, but sales weren't strong enough to forgo the PS3/360 and make RE5 a Wii exclusive.  We want to compare the Wii to the PS2 because of how many units they each sold.  But the truth is the PS2 versions routinely kicked the teeth of other consoles sales in multi console titles and made third parties take notice of their population.  It was never, PS2 needs a special version to take advantage of it's strengths.  The Wii or GC have never done that with any multi console release (unless you count that they did port a late Rabbids game to the HD systems).

I also think it's interesting that you say the entire RE fanbase is on Wii, because alot of RE games (that we can't use to compare sales) were on the GC.  The interesting thing is this goes back to the original point.  Did the RE ports fail because of Capcom or Nintendo?  Rumor was Capcom thought they had a preferred licence fee for these ports to release these games at $19.99.  There were no budget GC games at the time and Nintendo balked wanting to keep their licence fee at an outrageous $12 (for a $20 game).  Capcom was then forced to make the games $40 to make any money thus killing their chance to make sales and any real money on the games.  Thus they stop producing them and the few copies made sat at retail at $40 until the stores decided to dump them.  Is this confirmed?  Obviously no way to confirm it unless you work at Capcom or Nintendo Japan.  But third parties tend to avoid working with Nintendo for a reason.  Could Nintendo done something small to ensure that a RE5 was made beside the HD versions?  Maybe. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:27:43 AM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
You say tomato, and I say tomato!

Did the RE ports fail?  They were ports.  There was no incentive for anyone involved to buy them, really, unless you just wanted to play a port of a very old game on a new system.  Wait, didn't one port succeed?  Oh, right, the most recent one, RE4:Wii.  The other ports offered nothing new, and no matter what, could be found cheaper on the PS1.

And I've never heard your conspiracy theory about licensing before, but it makes no sense.  If the games were to be priced at $20 considering a preferred license, but then Nintendo required the standard license, wouldn't the game have been priced at $30?  I don't know how licensing works, but I wouldn't imagine there'd be more than a $10 difference IF your unsourced fantasy licensing numbers are true.

Please don't do random speculation and comparisons like you have been doing throughout this thread without proof-reading, and then sourcing some of the stuff.  While I'm not saying what you're saying doesn't hold a thread of truth, I am saying that I've got no reason to believe random numbers you post when you've already made some easily noticeable errors in this thread.  While it's one thing to suggest something as possibility, you portray rumor as fact.  Watch as I post something for consideration that could be a possibility, without knowing anything about the truth of the matter, but still manage to get the point across without making baseless claims and the like:

Isn't it possible that Capcom was already developing Resident Evil 5 back when they received the full information on Resident Evil 4's sales?  I haven't looked to see when it began development, but I'd imagine Capcom might have been looking at creating RE5 back right around when Dead Rising was a success on the 360!  Could this be the case?

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »
Did the RE ports fail?  They were ports.  There was no incentive for anyone involved to buy them, really, unless you just wanted to play a port of a very old game on a new system.  Wait, didn't one port succeed?  Oh, right, the most recent one, RE4:Wii.  The other ports offered nothing new, and no matter what, could be found cheaper on the PS1.

So if people don't don't buy the Nintendo version because they have the Sony version..... then people wouldn't buy RE5 Wii because they have the Sony version?  This was more to counter a point that all REs had been released on Nintendo so should have RE5.  Only 3 RE gamecube titles are worth talking about saleswise.  REmake was great, I own it.  However, it was outsold by RE1 on the PS1.  RE0, another I liked and own, was by all accounts the worst selling of the main RE series.  RE4 Cube was outsold by the PS2 version.   Oh yeah and RE4 Wii was outsold by the PS2 version.

And I've never heard your conspiracy theory about licensing before, but it makes no sense.  If the games were to be priced at $20 considering a preferred license, but then Nintendo required the standard license, wouldn't the game have been priced at $30?  I don't know how licensing works, but I wouldn't imagine there'd be more than a $10 difference IF your unsourced fantasy licensing numbers are true.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/384/384167p1.html
I thought I read the "licence speculation" from a Matt Cassimassina blog but couldn't find it.  So I won't speculate further on this point except to point out from this review that.

"Both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis would ship to the Nintendo home console at a somewhat attractive price point: $19.99 U.S.", "Unfortunately, plans change, and Capcom has since dropped the lowball MSRP for a near-standard tag of $39.99. Why? We've heard no official reasoning for this price hike."

So the price did double from the initial announcement.  $30/$40 probably dead at either price point since it was a straight PS1 port.   

Isn't it possible that Capcom was already developing Resident Evil 5 back when they received the full information on Resident Evil 4's sales?  I haven't looked to see when it began development, but I'd imagine Capcom might have been looking at creating RE5 back right around when Dead Rising was a success on the 360!  Could this be the case?
Not sure I understand your point.  I'm sure Capcom knew how much RE4 sold and Dead Rising.  I thought we had determined PS3/360 versions were good business decisions.  The question was should a Wii RE5 should have been developed as well.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
Guys.

Let's just quit arguing and make fun of Capcom losing their good game development staff.

Why? Why not.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2009, 04:03:58 AM »
There are Wii games that started at 30€ (there are also some that started at 40€ despite being $30 in the US, I'M LOOKING AT YOU NAMCO).

For example Castlevania Judgment. 30€ was a great price for that.