Author Topic: Defecting to the Enemy Camp  (Read 33166 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Defecting to the Enemy Camp
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
At least a good portion of the DS faction of Nintendo's camp hasn't gone anywhere.
The DS is awesome.  I actually appreciate it more now that the Wii looks like it's going to have about two games a year that interest me.

Ironically, during its first years the DS was dismissed by fans and critics alike by relying on a gimmick and lacking games that sold the concept. And funny enough, many fans defected to the PSP camp when they believed the DS would not provide what they wanted in a handheld.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:01:32 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »
If I'm not mistaken Nintendogs was released towards the back end of '05, not '06, but it was definitely a strong year for the DS in any case.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »
No way man.  Check out the 2006 DS lineup, starting off with the games released during the year:

Big Brain Academy
New Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox Command
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Tetris DS

They then followed those games up with this holiday lineup:

Children of Mana
Elite Beat Agents
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS

So that was the DS' third Christmas.  The Wii has been great in 2008 so far, but it looks like its totally dried up for the 2nd half of the year.  Animal Crossing and Wii Music = me no care.

You are conveniently forgetting  the DS's first and second year...

After the awesome presentation at E3, what did the DS launch with? A port of an N64 game, a demo of a game that wouldn't be released till 2006, GBA ports and mini game titles.

During the first half of 2005, gamers  were seriously wondering if the DS was worth it. While games were released and were quite good people were defecting to the PSP camp, because all bets were on it taking the world by storm.

In the last half of 2005 things DID get better with the release of titles like Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing WW. But it wasn't till the release of the DS Lite in 2006 that the DS caught on fire.

I remember clearly the first years of the DS. Even if Nintendo did show some great games and demos people believed the PSP had a better chance of beating the DS while the GBA carried Nintendo's handheld domination.

Half of the NWR staff believed the same thing. I remember asking them what they thought of fans being betrayed and preferring the PSP over the DS, and they said that the PSP was posed to offer a more traditional experience while the DS, with its untapped potential, could just brings gimmicky games.

Not even Nintendo had faith in its own product, mass producing GBAs and games in case the DS bombed. It was constantly compared to the Virtual Boy and expected it to not do well.

And the situation for the DS was indeed horrid. Half of the third party games available were GBA ports with tacked on touch screen features. Nearly all of them failed to impress, and Nintendo's own games weren't arriving soon enough.

But now, look where it is now. Its a phenomenon with everyone, casual and hardcore alike, and having major titles like a Kingdom Hearts prequel and the true sequel to a Dragon Quest.

Will the Wii have the same luck? Things between the DS and the Wii are different, and the console has to face different hurdles for it to reach the same status as the DS.

But my point still stands, the DS had the same uncertainty the Wii is creating in gamers, but fate proved otherwise.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
No way man.  Check out the 2006 DS lineup, starting off with the games released during the year:

Big Brain Academy
New Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox Command
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Tetris DS

They then followed those games up with this holiday lineup:

Children of Mana
Elite Beat Agents
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS

So that was the DS' third Christmas.  The Wii has been great in 2008 so far, but it looks like its totally dried up for the 2nd half of the year.  Animal Crossing and Wii Music = me no care.

As has been pointed out, Nintendogs was released in 2005. Of the rest of them only one of them (Yoshi's Island DS) is a Nintendo game (If I remember correctly, Elite Beat Agents was only published by Nintendo in North America). My point is that the DS was in this same position early in its life and it has come to be what it is. The DS got out of it earlier than the Wii, but the Wii was in a much bigger hole to begin with.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
You are conveniently forgetting  the DS's first and second year...

Uh...no I wasn't.  I didn't include ithe first two years because that's not what we were talking about.  Insanolord and I were specifically talking about DS vs. Wii at this point in both of their lifecycles (basically, two years in, just before their third Christmas).

And I'm saying that the period before each console's third Christmas is vastly different.  At this point in the DS' lifecycle, there was a must-have game coming out literally every month.  I was seriously buying a killer DS game every month.  In August 2006 I was looking forward to Castlevania: PoR, Elite Beat Agents, and Yoshi's Island DS, and I had already bought Big Brain Academy, New Super Mario Bros., Star Fox Command, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and Tetris DS earlier in the year.  In August 2008, the year has been great so far (Brawl, Okami, PES 2008, Mario Kart Wii), but there's nothing else I want until 2009 (literally).   That's a big difference to me.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Deadly Creatures, Animal Crossing, deBlob, Fatal Frame IV (I bet it will be out this year), and even SPRay looks extremely promising. Oh yeah there is also Wario Land. We need to differentiate between what WE like when it comes to a systems games and the quality of those games. All the above games I've listed have potential to be high quality titles (Yes even AC). Really the lists are comparable in that there is a mixture of different types of games. I have no doubt I'm forgetting some other 3rd party titles as well (maybe even some stellar multiplatform games). In fact I wouldn't be the least surprised if the average metacritic score for my mentioned titles is comparable to the ones on your list for DS.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:46:14 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »
when will silks stop crying about the lack of games and get over it? when will GP stop trying to flaunt **** games as reasons to own a wii?

how many times can we trainwreck new threads with the same old idiotic argument? when will the idiocy end?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:16:16 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2008, 01:04:30 AM »
when will silks stop crying about the lack of games and get over it? when will GP try a flaunt **** games as reasons to own a wii?

how many times can we trainwreck new threads with the same old idiotic argument? when will the idiocy end?

When will Dasmos say anything worthwhile or the least bit respectful? Who knows, but tune in next week

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2008, 01:05:46 AM »
NWR seriously needs to just shut up shop. Close the site down completely or rebrand it.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »
when will silks stop crying about the lack of games and get over it? when will GP try a flaunt **** games as reasons to own a wii?

When will Dasmos say anything worthwhile or the least bit respectful? Who knows, but tune in next week

so basically copying/pasting the same argument over the course of 3 or 4 pages in 50 different threads is worthwhile? please.

NWR seriously needs to just shut up shop. Close the site down completely or rebrand it.

or at least just a major staff overhaul. something needs to change.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2008, 01:17:31 AM »
Pretty much. As it stands, NWR is like a chocolate ice cream forum run by people that hate chocolate ice cream.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2008, 01:21:59 AM »
so basically copying/pasting the same argument over the course of 3 or 4 pages in 50 different threads is worthwhile? please.

That hurts, that really hurts. Dasmos said a mean thing, I am so sad now. I bet Lindy is heartbroken as well because when Dasmos speaks people must listen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:27:09 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:17 AM »
nwr will never change.

oh lol you edited it. nice one!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:54:08 AM by Dasmos »

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »
Pretty much. As it stands, NWR is like a chocolate ice cream forum run by people that hate chocolate ice cream.

That's going to be pretty hard to do.

Its understandable that a Nintendo based website needs to be run by people who at the very least like Nintendo. However, that doesn't mean that the staff needs to love Nintendo 24/7. We are not running a Church or a cult here (though fandom does lean towards one way or the other...).

If the editors of a Nintendo site enjoy playing 360 games, and like to talk about them its their right. If they enjoy PS3 games more than Wii games, its their life.

Telling the NWR staff to change their attitude, that their opinion sucks or that what they say is irrelevant to the site would be censoring them, especially if they are the ones that run the show (without the staff we wouldn't even be discussing this).

So even if there's a staff overhaul and the members are more accepting of Nintendo's ways the same debacle would happen again and again.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2008, 04:25:31 AM »
I'd like to underscore that Halbred bought a PS3 and hasn't "played the 360."

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2008, 04:29:04 AM »
We are not running a Church or a cult here (though fandom does lean towards one way or the other...).

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
Its understandable that a Nintendo based website needs to be run by people who at the very least like Nintendo. However, that doesn't mean that the staff needs to love Nintendo 24/7. We are not running a Church or a cult here (though fandom does lean towards one way or the other...).

Oh, I have no problems with the multiplatform love (how dare people play video games!), but the staff **** on Nintendo non-stop these days and hop on all the rolleyes.gif internet forum bandwagons. The Ian style angst isn't helping traffic or anything, NWR's been dead for like three years now. That's why I suggested it should be rebranded or something, it's clear the majority of people on staff here no longer have interest in Nintendo. That's cool, start over! Make it an Atari Lynx forum for lol.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:11:17 AM by Infernal Monkey »

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2008, 06:58:10 AM »
Oh, I have no problems with the multiplatform love (how dare people play video games!), but the staff **** on Nintendo non-stop these days and hop on all the rolleyes.gif internet forum bandwagons. The Ian style angst isn't helping traffic or anything, NWR's been dead for like three years now. That's why I suggested it should be rebranded or something, it's clear the majority of people on staff here no longer have interest in Nintendo. That's cool, start over! Make it an Atari Lynx forum for lol.

This...And an Atari Lynx forum would be hilarious, if not ironically fitting!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2008, 07:48:08 AM »

I know you're being humorous but, I was thinking, NWR's Podcast is one of my favorites, it's well produced and the personalities interact well.  It'd be great to see the show go multi-platform.  I'd love to hear the guys talk more about the other systems.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:54 AM »
What I'm more thinking about is... Where's the "nongames"? If my mother wanted a new game, what could I get for HER? All that gets listed in this thread is hardcore games.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
Hey, I like Nintendo.  I don't agree with everything they do, but I like them.  All I said was that the Wii platform doesn't have anything that I - ME, PERSONALLY - am interested in until 2009.  I never said that there aren't any games that other people might like.  I never told you how to live your life, or said anything about your mom.  I mean, if you can't handle Nintendo criticism on a Nintendo board, what are YOU guys doing here?

I could go on all day about the DS games that I'm looking forward to this year, but I'm the anti-Nintendo troll, so I suppose I'm not allowed to do that.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »

Personally, NWR is my favorite Nintendo centric site due to their "fair and balanced" criticism and praise of the big N.  Other fanboy sites I've found make me not want to live another day.  I feel sorry for them, as romantic allegiance to one corporation is a serious brain disease, spreading faster with each new holiday season.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »
Again, you guys fail to understand. But it's NWR, so that's to be expected I guess.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
Any blockbuster ATARI LYNX games coming out in 2008?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
KLAX 2: REVENGE OF KLAX