Author Topic: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA  (Read 33043 times)

Offline JackieFrosty

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
This review doesn't make any sense to me.  Especially, since I can play it with ease.  Well, instead of talking the talk, here are some videos that shows how easy this game can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDaVeDj6A0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxZxwHGXk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shvgriTgvJo

along with some shots that can be done with some practice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9pchN8RTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH8HgkXwzik

All the SSG shots that I've done while playing the game can also be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JackieFrosty

Finally, here's how to swing, for those that think the motion control is really clunky.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/JackieFrosty_photos/

It's really not as hard as the review says.  I don't see how others can see otherwise.  Maybe, it's because a real golf swing is more continuous and real golfers can't get it?  I dunno.  All I know is that it's really easy for me.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
I wish I had gotten this many people crying about my FFCC review a while back, but it turns out nobody cared about that game. Congrats Stan!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »
Well my problem with this review is that its a poor critique of the game. And his individual scores of each categories seem like the only production values put into the game was a 2 minute looping song done by a Casio electronic keyboard, controls that are broken and unplayable.  But I think Stan ultimately ranted of how "bad" this game and not focus on the other mechanics in the game which damaged the integrity of the review.

And SUPER for the record I thought your FF:CC review was spot on, it was fun for the first couple of hours but ultimately it got boring, and frustrating later on where people lost interest of it I suppose.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
What the reviewer forgot to factor in is the power of the KOREAN GAME STYLE. That is... grind grind grind buy clothes grind grind garner WAY more profit than you deserve from a traditional game objective viewpoint.

Seriously people, have you guys played Ragnarok online? Gun Bound? Albatross 18? Maple Story? ... ANY KOREAN GAME AT ALL?!?!?!? They're all like this... and they're all amazingly successful even though, when viewed under traditional lenses, they have no right to be. My roommate and his girlfriend have been playing the PC version of this game for 2 months and are ADDICTED. It sickens me, but its the truth. Korea is destroying gaming as we know it.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »
So this is an online grind game, except without the online? I've never played kekekeke golf, but it seems like I would be more inclined to try the PC one, especially if it has a free trial (or is it entirely free like a lot of Korean online games)?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
I wish I had gotten this many people crying about my FFCC review a while back, but it turns out nobody cared about that game. Congrats Stan!

For the record, I'm more pissed at Ian than Stan. If Stan didn't like it, it's no skin off my back but at least he played the game so he's entitled to an opinion on it.

Ian rags on the Wii all the time despite not owning one and making no attempts to own one.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
The game is free on the PC all you need to do is download, install and register. I personally don't own the game but I used one of my free weekly employee rentals from Blockbuster and I found the game pretty nifty the game isn't a amazing must own game but it is very solid and far from being a mediocre game. I think I'll buy the game during a drought and if I can find it for 29.99 or 19.99 since CAG is spoiling me.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
I nearly sold my Wii because Smash Bros isn't out yet. Nintendo lied, people died, etc

I'm holding onto it for Resident Evils, though. Maybe that will tide me over

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »
One thing about the retail version that's better than the PC is (aside from actually swinging) that on the retail version, there are no such things as microtransactions.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »
Wow, didn't know anyone would care.  Yeah, sorry that this game sucked.  If you like it, though,  well...  One man's trash is another's treasure.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
We do not tailor any article to elicit controversy.  After eight years, I shouldn't have to keep saying this.  I've written over a hundred reviews for this site, and now I'm the Reviews Editor (and effectively have been for two or three years), so I'd like to think we have someone in charge of reviews who knows a lot about reviewing games and takes it very seriously.  Nothing about our reviews changed when Wii came out.

I know Stan's overall score for this game is much lower than the average.  But his main criticism is that the controls don't work, and in a golf game, I think that is certainly enough to cripple the entire experience.  The many other problems he mentions are minor in comparison, but they add up too.  Sure, it's possible that he simply doesn't know how to play the game correctly, but you know, he is our Sports Editor and is very experienced in many, many kinds of sports video games, including golf.  I think it's far more likely that other reviewers were very forgiving towards this game because it came out close to Wii's launch and offers a lot more content than Wii Sports golf, which is hardly the best mini-game in that collection.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
I think the tag line for the review was witty, considering things I've heard about the game.  Other than that, the review in no way affects me, as I have no interest in anything but mini-golf, a genre sorely missed by sport game developers.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
Heh, I looked back at my post and thought, "A hundred reviews?  That must be an exaggeration."  So I checked it real quick in Excel -- the actual number is 141, including hardware.  Geez.

Before I close Excel...

The mean score of my reviews (N=141) is 7.53.  The median score is 8.  The mode (most common) score is 9.  Standard deviation is 1.66.

Wow, maybe I need to be harsher in the future?  Or maybe I need to stop hogging all the good games.  :-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
You are master of review
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
I'm leaning towards the fact that he doesn't know how to play or even use a Wiimote for Golf.

The controls are perfectly fine with it, Everyone who I have gotten to play Super Swing Golf with have all been able to pick it up and play it fine, Everyone from my 8 year old sister to both my Mom and Dad who both haven't touched a game since Super Mario Bros 3. On top of that I'm the only one in my immediate family who has ever played golf and Super Swing feels VERY accurate to the real thing, even more so the Tiger Woods. Heck I've even had the guy who works at the local golf shop try it out and he was amazed at how accurate the game was. (Yes I did in fact bring the system over for him to try.) I didn't let him try Wii Sports Golf since I find that version to be painful to play.

I am very displeased with the review and it will stain NWR's reputation for fair and good game reviews.

You should feel very disappointed that a review of such poor quality is disgracing NWR.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Huh? I thought the controls didn't work too... until I swung so that at the bottom of my swing the wiimote was "top forward" instead of sideways... and then I started getting Pangya's left and right. The problem ISN'T that the controls don't work. The problem is that the developers are about 90 degrees off in how they expect us to hold the wiimote... which is still a HUGE mark against the game, I'll agree.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 05:08:29 PM »
I had no issue with controls.

However, more than the score, I'd complain about comments like calling the characters "hydrocephalic". On a site which has reviewed so many Naruto games, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know that the game is supposed to be ANIME styled so I can't see the reason for the jab at the game's art style.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
Dude, even for anime, they were hydrocephalic.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
You should feel very disappointed that a review of such poor quality is disgracing NWR.

No.  You can feel disappointed in whatever you want, and I'm not going to argue with you over that.  But don't tell me what I should feel disappointed about.  If I didn't think this review was up to our standards then it would not be on the site right now.  My word is the law when it comes to reviews on this site.  It doesn't go public until I'm happy with it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
*cringe*

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
Lets see what everyone else thought:

Yahoo! Video Games - 9.0
Game Informer - 8.2
GameFAQs (Avr) - 8.1 (10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 7, 7, 4)
Game Informer - 8.0
G4 / Tech TV - 8.0
GameSpy.com - 8.0
IGN Readers (107 people) - 8.0
GameSpot Readers (270 People) -8.0
Deeko.com - 8.0
GameTrailers - 7.5    
eToychest - 7.5
IGN.com - 7.3
Worth Playing - 7.2
GameZone Online - 7.1
GameDaily - 7.0
GameSpot - 6.8  
GamePro - 6.0
1UP.com - 5.5
-----------------
Press Avr - 7.4
-----------------
NWR - 3.5?????

I'm sorry but something is SERIOUSLY WRONG here.
When there is such a large difference between everyone else and NWR review something is wrong and the review should be given a second look.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »
I wasn't planning on getting the game even before this review, but I just want to say that I appreciate that there is a site that isn't afraid to rate a game below 5.0 if they feel like it deserves it.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 05:57:16 PM »
NWR is the new ign.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »
... the review is incorrect by stating that Scout is the protagonist. You can choose and play as Hana as well instead of Scout.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »

Originally posted by: mottsc
I wasn't planning on getting the game even before this review, but I just want to say that I appreciate that there is a site that isn't afraid to rate a game below 5.0 if they feel like it deserves it.

Well mottsc if you judge a review just by the number then its pointless, you should see why the numeral score was issued by the content depicted in the review. And Johnnyboy with all due respect I think you do a wonderful job managing reviews since PGC and NWR has a lot of worthwhile reviews that are worth reading and about 90% of the reviews you guys put out justifies and tells the reader why this game is worth it or why should the readers be aware and skip it, but the SSG review just sounded like one big rant that just made no sense at all to me. Also the scores assigned to each respective category don't feel right because the game is more polished than to warrant scores that would equal to a broken game thats essentially unplayable or close to the point that it is unplayable.