Author Topic: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA  (Read 32972 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »
I think you can see that the more reputable sites each voted the game lower, and it's plausible that even those sites have things "checking" their score that might be a bit crooked.  If a sports editor that has played other golf games rates 3.5, I'm gonna trust what he says.  He gives out good reviews for good games, and bad reviews for bad games, IMO.  There isn't anything crooked about NWR, and this just shows, if you want the truth, and no fluff, NWR is the place to go.  I'm glad to see honest reviews.  If a reviewer didn't like it, as an adult, I need to know that his review is for people my age, or if it is a targetted review.  Heck, that's one thing I like about NWR.  Their reviews often clash, allowing two people with different personalities, but somewhat similar backgrounds in gaming to tell you what they think.  This review doesn't hurt the readers by being honest.  It would hurt if it were edited so it didn't hurt feelings, though.  We just wouldn't know it until it was too late.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2007, 06:24:57 PM »
But Pangya isn't a golf game... It's a korean game.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 06:31:25 PM »
It's got Golf in the title.  Or should I assume the golf only a codeword for something more sinister?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »
NINTENDOPHAILREPORT.COM
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
NWR is the new ign.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be an insult or compliment, but I am curious as to how you came to this strange conclusion.  I don't see what this review has to do with IGN or anything people have been saying about IGN's reviews of Wii games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

Originally posted by: wandering
NWR is the new ign.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be an insult or compliment, but I am curious as to how you came to this strange conclusion.  I don't see what this review has to do with IGN or anything people have been saying about IGN's reviews of Wii games.

3.5 is the new 7.9, the score IGN gave Double Dash.

Originally posted by: thatguy
It's got Golf in the title.  Or should I assume the golf only a codeword for something more sinister?

Play Korean MMOs like Gunbound, RO, Albatross on the PC, most free Korean MMORPGs, etc. and you'll understand.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2007, 03:10:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
I can safely assume this is the worst NWR review ever. I can't wait to see Bill's reaction after he reads it. Seriously I think you need to re-evaluate the game Stan and at least give this game some more time. A 3.5 usually tells that the game is practically unplayable the sound and controls deserve a far better score than a 2.0 and a 3.0 . While I respect NWR and their staff reviews but recently I think these reviews have gone down hill.

Agree.

Stan your reviewing prowless has just lost most of my respect.  Sorry.

Our large staff and open review policy allow us to review many games in a short period of time, but not at the expense of review quality, consistency, or integrity.

Nintendo World Report reviews include the body text, pros and cons, scores in five individual categories, and a final score, all on the first page.

If you don't like the swinging mechanics then use the button mode.  Thats whats I did.  You can also buy multiple characters.

All NWR game articles, reviews included, undergo a thorough editing process to ensure they meet some basic guidelines, but each review ultimately remains the opinion of the individual reviewer.

Lately I wonder what happened to this.  The reviews are coming out more and more ranty as late.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »
I don't just judge by the number given, I always go by the textual review foremost. A low or high score is definitely going to get me to read why they thought it deserved the score it got. The score for SSG was based on the frustration/irritation of the reviewer with the game and that came across in the review. I can use the context and what elements were the source for that from the review to decide if it corresponds to how I might feel about those things.

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis

Originally posted by: mottsc
I wasn't planning on getting the game even before this review, but I just want to say that I appreciate that there is a site that isn't afraid to rate a game below 5.0 if they feel like it deserves it.

Well mottsc if you judge a review just by the number then its pointless, you should see why the numeral score was issued by the content depicted in the review. And Johnnyboy with all due respect I think you do a wonderful job managing reviews since PGC and NWR has a lot of worthwhile reviews that are worth reading and about 90% of the reviews you guys put out justifies and tells the reader why this game is worth it or why should the readers be aware and skip it, but the SSG review just sounded like one big rant that just made no sense at all to me. Also the scores assigned to each respective category don't feel right because the game is more polished than to warrant scores that would equal to a broken game thats essentially unplayable or close to the point that it is unplayable.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2007, 04:56:42 AM »
It was very rant like, such as bringing up multiplayer then not telling us anything about it

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2007, 04:59:02 AM »
Now the smart thing to do would be to have Stan respond to his critics in next weeks Podcast. Ride the wave of publicity to higher podcast subscriptions.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »
Yes.  Slapping the game around on the Multiplayer I could see.  They strip needed features out for the multiplayer making it very hard to play.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2007, 07:42:30 AM »

Sure, it's possible that [Stan] simply doesn't know how to play the game correctly, but you know, he is our Sports Editor and is very experienced in many, many kinds of sports video games, including golf.
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just want to point out that according to RFN episodes 45 and 46 Stan hasn't even touched his Wii in months.  He stated that he's been addicted to WoW and doesn't even have his Wii hooked up.  Episode 46 was recoded on Sunday, April 1st.  This review was posted on Tuesday, April 10.  I'm assuming that there's probably a day or two for Jonny to approve the review.  So that means that Stan had a little over a week to play the game and write the review.  Last I checked, Stan had a full time job, which would probably prevent him from spending dozens of hours over this week to play the game.  That doesn't exactly give the man a lot of time to become accustomed to the controls, especially if he hasn't played any other Wii games enough to even become familiar with the remote in the first place.

I haven't played SSG, so I can't personally say whether the controls are borked or not.  But I can say that this time line (assuming I'm right) doesn't give Stan adequate time to fully form an opinion on the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 07:51:17 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Sure, it's possible that [Stan] simply doesn't know how to play the game correctly, but you know, he is our Sports Editor and is very experienced in many, many kinds of sports video games, including golf.
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just want to point out that according to RFN episodes 45 and 46 Stan hasn't even touched his Wii in months.  He stated that he's been addicted to WoW and doesn't even have his Wii hooked up.  Episode 46 was recoded on Sunday, April 1st.  This review was posted on Tuesday, April 10.  I'm assuming that there's probably a day or two for Jonny to approve the review.  So that means that Stan had a little over a week to play the game and write the review.  Last I checked, Stan had a full time job, which would probably prevent him from spending dozens of hours over this week to play the game.  That doesn't exactly give the man a lot of time to become accustomed to the controls, especially if he hasn't played any other Wii games enough to even become familiar with the remote in the first place.

I haven't played SSG, so I can't personally say whether the controls are borked or not.  But I can say that this time line (assuming I'm right) doesn't give Stan adequate time to fully form an opinion on the game.

*Insert Phoenix Wright music here
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
Dude, even for anime, they were hydrocephalic.

Um, no?

Heads all look fine to me for normal artwork, forget anime.

If you're going to call these characters "hydrocephalic", then you must also say the same about Mario (no, not the user):

Mario's head is the same size as 1/3 of his body. That's the standard ratio for newborn infants, FYI.

I think it's time to give this review the "fine tooth comb" treatment. Let's begin:

Welcome to the most incomprehensible golf course in the world. It’s a mixture of real world physics and fantastic environments.

I'm surprised if anyone can even continue reading after this point. If you have an issue with the mingling of reality and fantasy then you probably shouldn't be playing video games, watching movies or reading books. In fact, I think documentaries are the only source of entertainment which won't irk you.

The review has only seen two sentences and you're already scraping the bottom of the complaint barrel.

Japanese characters mesh seamlessly with an ancient Scottish sport using ridiculous items such as bombs for golf balls and baseball bats for clubs. Logic is thrown out the window and so is the fun. Welcome to Pangya, home of Super Swing Golf.

Again, fantastic environments, concepts and ideas are commonplace in gaming.

You want logic thrown out the window? Play Tiger Woods 2007 where, through use of telekinetic powers or maybe the force, the player can push a direction on the D-pad and shake the Wiimote to manipulate the direction of the ball after they've hit it. SSG employed special golf balls which explode on contact, but it was never pretentious enough to employ telekinesis.

Yes, there’s no fun to be found in the golf courses of Pangya. Fun left town and was replaced with a user-hateful interface; a control system that’s so far beyond wonky that there’s no more wonk to be found, only despair; and hydrocephalic characters who are so super-deformed that bad little boys and girls everywhere who are punished with this game will suffer nightmares well into their adult life.

For starters, I've seen rooms full of people have fun with SSG. People who are NOT avid gamers got the controls down pat in a few minutes, and that includes placing spin on the ball and selecting special shots.

We even had a buddy who plays golf and he was able to get a Pangya on most every hit (I don't remember him hooking or slicing even once).

As for the characters, you are the first person I've ever heard complain about their appearance.

However, to its credit, the game actively believes it’s fun. Right down to its insipid story, characters, dialogue, overwrought emotions (repeated ad nauseum due to lack of animation variety), and heartfelt belief that you will give a damn about Scout, not to mention the assortment of freaks he meets along the way. And the courses would be pretty amazing if Mario Golf’s fantastic environments weren’t so incredibly lush in comparison. The game dilutes its own attempt at charm by being far too straightforward at golf.

You can press a button to skip the cutscenes if you don't like them.

As for the courses, a quick look at the collection of screenshots at Gamespy reveals some genuinely lush and interesting environs, and that includes deserts, tropical islands, windmills lit by sunset, castles and even an aircraft carrier. It has a grand total of 11 courses, each with 18 holes, for a total of 198 holes, all of which were full of obstacles, foliage and were often dramatically lit due to a variety in lighting, including twilight and sunset courses.

By comparison, Mario Golf had 6 courses with 18 holes each for a total of 108 and looked pretty bland except for the irritating placement of mushrooms.

Hope you enjoy ciphers, this game is full of them. In fact, you’ll be playing as one for a good long while as Scout. Scout is the protagonist of Super Swing Golf’s main single-player mode. He’s a generic anime design that works as your primary avatar. He has no personality, lacks style (unless you change his hair color and clothes) and zero charisma. Ah, but this is a golf game, who cares about all that? Apparently someone does, or anime golf games wouldn’t exist at all.

Actually, you can choose to play as the girl, Hannah, right off the bat as well.

And I find it funny that this setup irked you, considering the IDENTICAL character selection scenario didn't irk you in your "Mario Tennis: Power Tour" review:

The single player game (likes its GBC predecessor) is an RPG. You select your character (a boy or a girl), name him/her, and choose whether you’re right or left handed. The game begins in earnest at a central “home” area where you can save and switch between Singles or Doubles play. From then on, you’ll have certain stats to build, depending on the style of play you want to progress in, and you can balance that out by customizing your doubles partner’s stats in other fields.

By your own words, you select male or female, name and handedness, so why did SSG's presentation of an identical situation bother you but MT:PT's did not?

Also, both games feature RPG elements through upgrades, but at least SSG allows you to choose their clothing to customize how they look.

In fact, I’m going to digress for a moment here and ponder the existence of this game. Is it made with the solo player in mind or as a multiplayer game? This question is due, in part, to one of Super Swing’s major problems. You have one whole character to choose from in the beginning, and the others are available through a tediously slow unlocking process. Right out of the box, the only way to tell the difference between two avatars is the "1P" and "2P" hovering over their heads.

Aside from the fact that you unlock the other character (either Scout or Hannah) after playing the first story and that I've never seen anyone be confused about when it was their turn in this game, sure.

This is akin to complaining that all four players in SSBM can play as Ganondorf. Games have relied on the "1P, 2P" labels for years to aid in player differentiation. Trying to pin this on SSG as a fault is nitpicking.

So this game is primarily for single player, right? I couldn’t tell you. In fact, it raises a number of unanswerable questions. Why can’t I make my own character?

You couldn't do this in Mario Golf, either. Just because you're more acclimated to Mario than you are to Scout doesn't make SSG a worse game.

Why is there a golf genre smack in the middle of Mario Golf games and Tiger Woods losing all the strengths of either game and suffering every weakness?

This is entirely subjective on your part so I don't know what to say to it, but you do realize you can switch the control scheme to be identical to that of Mario Golf, right?

What if Mario Golf wasn’t fast paced, silly, and charming?

I'd consider buying it this gen instead of avoiding it due to regretting my decision to buy it last gen.

What if Tiger Woods had no variety or choice?

The only difference between SSG and TW2K7 is that TW lacks the special shots which can make or break a round in SSG but adds the telekinesis I mentioned earlier. That's about it. If character creation was that much of a pull for you, you would probably have missed it more in Mario Golf, especially considering Mario Golf on the GC doesn't have the RPG elements which SSG and TW both feature, mainly through earning money and using it to buy stat-boosting clothes for your character.

Touching back on the controls for a moment, no matter how the controller is tilted, the club is pulled back. That’s realism, folks. One would think that in order to hit the ball straight, the controller is swung down straight. Truth is, only the developers know. It’s impossible to gauge what was done either consistently or inconsistently from any other shot. Since the movement isn’t 1:1, correction is painfully difficult.

My golf-playing friend didn't have trouble with this. Also, I suspect that you fell into the same pitfall which you will likely do in TW2K7: when driving, hold the club at a 45° angle, not pointing straight down.

The best part, however, is fighting the interface. The Wii was made to simplify. Super Swing complicates. Sometimes the controller is a club; other times it’s a mouse. In itself it’s slightly cumbersome, but possibly a necessary evil since other factors such as club selection and positioning are involved. However, not everything is available on the screen. For example, how do you access the map? There’s no mini-map to click on the screen to enlarge. Hit the number one button on the bottom of the controller instead. Make sure it’s hit twice, or else the game will simply move to free camera mode. Okay, now that we’re on the map screen, let’s play "Find the cup." Don’t see it? Well, hit the B button and wave the pointer around to move the camera wildly up and down the course until you get lucky and find the flag. Now this is a game!

Again, people who should be far simpler in mind and gaming skill than you had no issue with this.

No need to ponder the target audience anymore. The answer is obvious: no one. Super Swing Golf is obnoxious, gimmicky, featureless, and, despite its best attempts otherwise, humorless.

This review is obnoxious, nitpicky, devoid of critical merit and likely inspired from personal issues happening at the time of its writing. Due to the sheer number of contradictions in your logic and opinions you've stated in other reviews, you clearly have some sort of angst against this game the likes of which can only be described as a vendetta.

If you want my first guess, I would lean towards the notion that someone who you've come to dislike greatly enjoyed this game, making it impossible for you to enjoy it and making the overly negative and exaggerated review you've given it a form of lashing out at them.

Don't fret, though. You're not the first person to attempt to pass off an angry, prejudiced opinion as a critique and you won't be the last.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: vudu

*Insert Phoenix Wright music here

OOOHHH SNAP! It's on now!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2007, 08:17:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
*Smash_Brother's Post*

You're not the first person to attempt to pass off an angry, prejudiced opinion as a critique and you won't be the last.

OH SNAP! It's on NOW!

... Btw, I'm in pretty much complete agreement with Smash bros.' post and his points. I share the same opinion, though I can't muster the same emphasis, on his critique of the review's text, which seemed so factually shallow and drew up some doublestandards. I agree 100%.

BUT, I have no issue with the final score. a 3.5 on NWR is about a 6.0 on a normal game site, by my guess, and I have no issue with this stripped down version of a Korean MMO golf-based grindfest getting such a score. In fact, I'm shocked to see it rated highly elsewhere.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »
It's not the score I care about. It's the angry, sarcastic, angst-filled review. I thought the game was cute, though I wouldn't buy it personally, but someone had to say it.

In fact, I wouldn't frown on NWR for giving low scores but glowing reviews just to get people to come here and read them. It would be like psyching people out and I'm cool with that.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 08:23:18 AM »
Wow.

People need to step back and realize that someone else's opinion is often just as valid as their own.  Sometimes I wish these threads would read more like respectful disagreements and less like overly angsty rants.

I personally bought Pangya... played it for about 2 hours... felt the controls didn't work at all... never played it again.  I obviously didn't play it as long as Stan did, but my experience leads me to believe he's correct.  I'd be glad to read other opinions and take them seriously as long as they weren't "YOU SUCK AT REVIEWING GAMES AND ARE STUPID" responses.  Maybe I'd even try the game again based on others' opinions if that were the case.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Wow.

People need to step back and realize that someone else's opinion is often just as valid as their own.  Sometimes I wish these threads would read more like respectful disagreements and less like overly angsty rants.

I personally bought Pangya... played it for about 2 hours... felt the controls didn't work at all... never played it again.  I obviously didn't play it as long as Stan did, but my experience leads me to believe he's correct.  I'd be glad to read other opinions and take them seriously as long as they weren't "YOU SUCK AT REVIEWING GAMES AND ARE STUPID" responses.  Maybe I'd even try the game again based on others' opinions if that were the case.

OK, I know you guys work together and defend each other when needed. But by the way you guys are defending the review it seems like you don't like it when the readers point out that the review is flawed and needs work.

I mean, SB didn't just say "This review sucks and is the phail". No. He read through it, pointed out the inconsistencies, rebutted his opinion in a serious and made clear why he believes the review is flawed.

Its true that people have the right to express how they feel and that their opinions is valid. But simply because their opinion is valid and they have the right to express it doesn't mean that we can't argue it or point out that its wrong in certain aspects.

In all honesty, it sounds like you guys are playing the victim card, saying how everyone is bullying you whenever you post a review that is way too lower or rather unfair. Like you guys don't want to hear what everyone else has to say about it. In fact, I am honestly surprised that you haven't eliminated the option of posting comments on the reviews since you don't want any kind of feedback, whether it be smart and serious or angst filled.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 08:35:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale People need to step back and realize that someone else's opinion is often just as valid as their own.

An opinion is one thing, but an angry rant of a review deserves nothing but angry ranting criticism in response.

Stan could have explained respectfully and thoughtfully why he disliked the game, thus making not only a far stronger argument but making his review less vulnerable to the type of criticism it has seen so far.

There's no need to openly mock the game and the manner in which Stan has done so suggests that he holds a strong personal stake in his opinion. Also, Stan isn't the victim here: I refuse to believe that he didn't expect this level of backlash when he wrote the review in such an antagonistic way.

A proper review is the type which can only be rebutted with "I disagree with your opinion". Instead, I was able to point out several inconsistencies with his logic, one even based upon another review of his in which he glazes over the identical character selection scenario he chose to criticize in SSG.

To say the least, he could have handled this with more tact. It's possible to give a game a 3.5 and still maintain a reasonable level of journalistic integrity. I've seen low reviews on PGC in the past and they've been far better about explaining instead of antagonizing.

Again, Stan deserves the flame he gets. He'd be an immense hypocrite otherwise.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:41 AM »
I don't feel like I was playing the victim card.  I'm not even necessarily defending the review in any way.  I just stated that my brief experience with the title tends to fall in line with what Stan said.  I would be the first to make my opinion known.  I try to say when I disagree (like me insisting that Kid Icarus get the recommendation it did).

Anyway, this situation is a tough one.  I understand what SB is saying in that Stan seemed to take the review quite lightly.  I never know how to strike a balance between an entertaining and informative article.  Obviously, you want the article to be both.  When Jeff reviews some random licensed game, people laugh and think it's great.  As soon as Stan takes a game that he apparently thinks is equally bad and writes a review in a similar style, people freak out in the forums.  This obviously isn't because they don't like the style of writing, as Jeff often gets good feedback.  It's because they don't like the style of writing when it is done to a game that they feel strongly about.

Stan attacked a game with some comic relief and so many of you seemed to make that personal.  That just seems silly to me.  He didn't attack you.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »
I just got around to posting this but this is a link to the definition of hydrocephalic

Also, Pale I truly encourage you to switch to button controls and have another go at the game.  It really has its good points.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2007, 08:58:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale Anyway, this situation is a tough one.  I understand what SB is saying in that Stan seemed to take the review quite lightly.  I never know how to strike a balance between an entertaining and informative article.  Obviously, you want the article to be both.  When Jeff reviews some random licensed game, people laugh and think it's great.  As soon as Stan takes a game that he apparently thinks is equally bad and writes a review in a similar style, people freak out in the forums.  This obviously isn't because they don't like the style of writing, as Jeff often gets good feedback.  It's because they don't like the style of writing when it is done to a game that they feel strongly about.

I won't speak for others, but I've never personally cared for the "vulture" mentality, that being the tendency to assail something once it becomes "acceptable" to do so. It's a behavior forumers frequently exhibit and I've spent a great deal of time calling people on it.

The only reason I say anything about it in this review is because I've played the game. I didn't like the game THAT much, honestly, but I thought it was a fun distraction which I could handle in small doses and frequently did.

Cap loved the game which is why he was so vehement in defending it (returning Stan's flame), but I was just calling out the inconsistencies and contradictions of the review because I had played the game with a neutral take on it but I disagreed not with the score or his opinion but his means of expressing it.

Reviewers are journalists, not satirists. If someone wants to write entertaining reviews about bad products, create a site accordingly and do so there.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I try to say when I disagree (like me insisting that Kid Icarus get the recommendation it did).
Which reminds me, Stan also said he really liked Kid Icarus.  Perhaps this is why Pale feels the need to support this review.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »
Hah.  I'VE BEEN FOUND OUT!
---------------------