Author Topic: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA  (Read 32976 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »
Sinner’s Swing!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=13300

Welcome to the most incomprehensible golf course in the world.  It’s a mixture of real world physics and fantastic environments.  Japanese characters mesh seamlessly with an ancient Scottish sport using ridiculous items such as bombs for golf balls and baseball bats for clubs.  Logic is thrown out the window and so is the fun.  Welcome to Pangya, home of Super Swing Golf.    

Yes, there’s no fun to be found in the golf courses of Pangya.  Fun left town and was replaced with a user-hateful interface; a control system that’s so far beyond wonky that there’s no more wonk to be found, only despair; and hydrocephalic characters who are so super-deformed that bad little boys and girls everywhere who are punished with this game will suffer nightmares well into their adult life.    

However, to its credit, the game actively believes it’s fun.  Right down to its insipid story, characters, dialogue, overwrought emotions (repeated ad nauseum due to lack of animation variety), and heartfelt belief that you will give a damn about Scout, not to mention the assortment of freaks he meets along the way.  And the courses would be pretty amazing if Mario Golf’s fantastic environments weren’t so incredibly lush in comparison.  The game dilutes its own attempt at charm by being far too straightforward at golf.      

Hope you enjoy ciphers, this game is full of them.  In fact, you’ll be playing as one for a good long while as Scout.  Scout is the protagonist of Super Swing Golf’s main single-player mode.  He’s a generic anime design that works as your primary avatar.  He has no personality, lacks style (unless you change his hair color and clothes) and zero charisma.  Ah, but this is a golf game, who cares about all that?  Apparently someone does, or anime golf games wouldn’t exist at all.    

In fact, I’m going to digress for a moment here and ponder the existence of this game.  Is it made with the solo player in mind or as a multiplayer game?  This question is due, in part, to one of Super Swing’s major problems.  You have one whole character to choose from in the beginning, and the others are available through a tediously slow unlocking process. Right out of the box, the only way to tell the difference between two avatars is the "1P" and "2P" hovering over their heads.    

So this game is primarily for single player, right?  I couldn’t tell you.  In fact, it raises a number of unanswerable questions.  Why can’t I make my own character?  Why is there a golf genre smack in the middle of Mario Golf games and Tiger Woods losing all the strengths of either game and suffering every weakness?  What if Mario Golf wasn’t fast paced, silly, and charming?  What if Tiger Woods had no variety or choice?  The answer, friends, is Super Swing Golf.    

Touching back on the controls for a moment, no matter how the controller is tilted, the club is pulled back.  That’s realism, folks.  One would think that in order to hit the ball straight, the controller is swung down straight.  Truth is, only the developers know.  It’s impossible to gauge what was done either consistently or inconsistently from any other shot.  Since the movement isn’t 1:1, correction is painfully difficult.    

The best part, however, is fighting the interface.  The Wii was made to simplify.  Super Swing complicates.  Sometimes the controller is a club; other times it’s a mouse.  In itself it’s slightly cumbersome, but possibly a necessary evil since other factors such as club selection and positioning are involved.  However, not everything is available on the screen.  For example, how do you access the map?  There’s no mini-map to click on the screen to enlarge.  Hit the number one button on the bottom of the controller instead.  Make sure it’s hit twice, or else the game will simply move to free camera mode.  Okay, now that we’re on the map screen, let’s play "Find the cup."  Don’t see it?  Well, hit the B button and wave the pointer around to move the camera wildly up and down the course until you get lucky and find the flag.  Now this is a game!    

No need to ponder the target audience anymore.  The answer is obvious: no one.  Super Swing Golf is obnoxious, gimmicky, featureless, and, despite its best attempts otherwise, humorless.

Pros:

• It's the only anime golf simulation on the Wii so far.

•        Cons:

• Terrible controls.
  •  
  • One playable character out of the box.
  •  
  • Unable to create a character.
  •  
  • I could go on and on.

•                Graphics:  5.0
           The art design is generic and seems to ape Mario Golf and anime themes equally.  In neither aspect is it particularly successful.  There are no glaring graphical difficulties; however, there’s nothing particularly appealing or eye popping.

Sound:  2.0
           The sound effects are serviceable, but the music is gratingly bad and cheesy.  I’m sure the cheese was intentional, but it didn’t need to be so terrible.

Control:  3.0
           At best it works in the abstract.  At worst it’s incomprehensible and frustrating.  And neither aspect, either using the pointer through the menus or swinging the controller like a club, works well.  On top of that, correction is difficult since there’s little way to distinguish what was done from one swing to the next.

Gameplay:  3.0
           Assuming you have grasped the control scheme, unlocked all the different characters, and mastered all the courses, you have only succeeded in winning a battle of attrition.  And those are never fun.

Lastability:  2.0
           Technically, there’s enough to do here to last you several hours.  But, in the same vein, you could spend several hours watching Bill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099654/">Cosby http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396592/">movies.  Neither is recommended.

Final:  3.5
           This game makes a bad first impression with your choice of only one character, and it only goes downhill from there.  Don’t bother.      

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    RE:REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:44:11 AM »
    Not true!

You can start out as Hanna as well!

yeah...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • Score: -1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
    I can safely assume this is the worst NWR review ever. I can't wait to see Bill's reaction after he reads it. Seriously I think you need to re-evaluate the game Stan and at least give this game some more time. A 3.5 usually tells that the game is practically unplayable the sound and controls deserve a far better score than a 2.0 and a 3.0 . While I respect NWR and their staff reviews but recently I think these reviews have gone down hill.  
    PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
    Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
    3DS: 4124-5011-7289
    PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
    http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    RE: REVIEWS: Super Swing Golf PANGYA
    « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »
    This is going to be brutal. Everybody take cover.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »
    No mention is made in the review about the game's PC Korean MMO roots. This game is a CARBON COPY of Albatross golf... except without online and without any form of microtransactions.

I should know. My roommate and his girlfriend are addicted to Albatross.

That explains a lot of the game's bare-bonesities, even though it doesn't excuse them. Korean MMOs are basically disguised grindfests where you earn points to buy clothes... and they are highly profitable for the developers. Just look at Gunbound!

Also, the reviewer should swing with the top of the controller facing forward at the lowest point. I thought the game was frustrating beyond belief until I realized that the developers of this game had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER as to how you actually hold and swing a golf club.

Oh, but I agree COMPLETELY on the interface complaints.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • Score: -9660
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:13:46 PM »
    Haha I love these satire filled retro reviews!

..Wait this was a serious review? And it is intentionally four months late?

I guess this balances out TYP's glowing Paper Mario review.

Much love to Stan. Way to combat the loli epidemic

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
    • Score: 25
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »
    Boy is capamerica going to be pissed as hell...

Seriously, he loves both the PC version and the Wii version to DEATH. Hell, even a friend of his (the "binhqx" guy SB quoted on his sig), came to the conclusion that the controls are affected by how YOU play and that the engine isn't really broken. He even went as far as to say "Maybe it isn't the game, its the players".
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
    I also have to respectfully disagree as well.

I picked up Super Swing Golf for $29.99 at Best Buy recently, and have enjoyed it. True, it doesn't have 16x9 support, the load times are a bit lengthy, and the lack of character creation and variety from the get-go is regretable, but it's fun.

I love the creativity of the courses, the brightly-designed characters, and the sound too. The gameplay is quite good, and of all the golf games I've played (including both Mario Golf titles), it controls the best, blowing the oft-ankward Wii Sports: Golf out of the water, in my opinion. I haven't played Tiger '07, so I can't comment if that is better, worse, or just about the same.

Note to Nintendo: bring back the letter/number Mini-Golf from Mario Golf 64. Or...virtual console! ^_^

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
    Every Wii review gets the same response on this forum.

If the review gives a high score everyone says "good job" or perhaps suggests that ths score should be higher.

If the review gives a mediocre to poor score tons of people protest it and accuse the reviewer of not getting it or being biased and that reviews mean nothing and that we should all buy every game ever to exist to get an accurate point of view and even then if we hate it we're wrong because the game was better than expected or the concept in theory sounds good or it was better than other really crappy Sonic games.

Every Wii game is awesome.  We get it.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • Score: -9660
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Finally!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »

If the review gives a high score everyone says "good job" or perhaps suggests that ths score should be higher.

If the review gives a mediocre to poor score tons of people protest it and accuse the reviewer of not getting it or being biased and that reviews mean nothing and that we should all buy every game ever to exist to get an accurate point of view and even then if we hate it we're wrong because the game was better than expected or the concept in theory sounds good or it was better than other really crappy Sonic games.

I agree that sometimes these responses are fueled by fan hype and such, but are you saying that ALL the people that disagree with these reviews are just being blind fanboys?

If people played the game, enjoyed it and didn't have any issue with it they have the right to call out that the review is too unfair or too harsh and even say "you didn't get it".

Second, you haven't even bothered getting a Wii or even trying out some Wii games. How can YOU give credit to NWR when you don't even know if what they are saying is right and wrong?

I'll admit that I haven't played all of the Wii games NWR has reviewed, but its my belief that they been AWFULLY harsh lately, to the point where they are giving solid games scores that are better suited for games like Zoey 101 and Drake and Josh.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 01:41:46 PM »
    I wonder, am I the only staffer to not yet get stones thrown at him for a Wii review?  Probably just because no one cared about Billy & Mandy and Super Paper Mario is awesome.

This score seems alarmingly low given the average rating, but I assure you Stan spent enough time with the game to form a solid opinion of the game.  I thought about picking this title up--not so sure any more.  
    ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor
    Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
      • My site.
    « Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:48 PM »
    Uh-oh.  The controversy of this review is spreading across the Internets at lightning speed.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 01:56:23 PM »
    I actually think that that final score is very accurate, given the unconventional NWR review scale.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:06 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
    Probably just because no one cared about Billy & Mandy.

capamerica did .
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
    I think NWR is collectively trying to steal the celebrity status that Ian ushered in.

As in, make an opinion and the local populace rage and protest.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
    Look, guys, I know Stan really well. And I know he really wanted to like this game, and spent a lot of time on it. He gave this game what he felt it deserves, so if you disagree with it, that's fine, but saying that he "doesn't get it," or that our reviews have gone downhilll, well - it's honestly pretty insulting, and I take great offense to it.
    I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
    Congrats Stan you have single handedly made it so I will NEVER trust a review from NWR ever again.

You review is hands down the WORST review I have ever read.

I uses to look at PlanetGameCube for accurate reviews but they have really gone down the toilet. I see more and more reviews that i GREATLY disagree with. This was the final nail in the coffin for me.
    "Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
    Crow ~ MST3K
    <BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »

Most reviews are equally divided among the fanbase, even the ones which receive incredibly high scores.

You're just using this as one more excuse to squint, grimace and grunt out yet another pile of anti-Nintendoism because the GC killed and ate your entire family.

We get it.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
    And on the subject, I thought the game deserved a 7-7.5 and I had zero expectations regarding the game because I didn't buy it myself.

Originally posted by: pap64 I agree that sometimes these responses are fueled by fan hype and such, but are you saying that ALL the people that disagree with these reviews are just being blind fanboys?

Don't encourage him.

Ian is a Nintendo doomsday forecaster, hence why he jumps on any situation where he can vent his angst about how Nintendo raped his soul. He probably has a picture of the GC hanging on his wall somewhere with the words "NEVER FORGET" emblazoned over it.

Seriously, Ian, I used to respect you, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's uninformed people making uninformed opinions and until you actually OWN a Wii, you'd do your credibility a favor by refraining from commenting on Wii reviews and the Wii in general from now on.  
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: -19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »
    Is now a good time to remind everyone about this review?  
    Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 02:22:53 PM »
    ...you could just not trust Stan's reviews if you totally disagree with this review.  But no, we have to be all moody here.

EDIT: AH yes.  With That other (totally absurd) review from Stan linked, I do think I must disagree with this review, even without playing it.  Still, capamerica, sheesh.
    ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor
    Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »
    vudu, that doesn't count, remember? Stan wrote that glowing review when we were still Planet GameCube, before we were all about hating good games. There's absolutely no reason to take into account he took TONS of crap for speaking his mind (in a positive manner). The fact that he continues to do so is ridiculously unimportant.
    I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Saturn2888

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »
    All I have to say to that is "oo, pwn'd!"
    Only insanity brings perfection.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
    I'm left scratching my head about this review because, independent of my own opinions, I've seen two cases where the game was well-received by a large group of people.

The first time was when it was being played in my own living room when a bunch of friends came over and we were playing it as a group.

The other time was when my ex-GF's brother bought it and she, her brother and FATHER played and loved it.

Her father is a factory worker and not the type to take over-the-top games with a grain of salt, so if he could play and enjoy it without issue, I don't see why anyone else would have a problem with the characters in it.