Author Topic: Music Suggestions (need help filling up my I-pod)  (Read 9122 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Music Suggestions (need help filling up my I-pod)
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »
Ok I'll keep it simple, I need suggestions on music to put onto my I-Pod so anyone got any good ideas?

Here is a list of my top bands I currently have on the thing right now to get an idea what I already like.

1. Garbage
2. No DOubt
3. The Offspring
4. Crystal Method
5. Ace of Base
6. Beastie Boys
7. Collective Soul
8. Def Leppard
9. Destiny's Child
10. TLC

I naturally am looking for stuff that sounds like what I already like, but I am very much open to new stuff at the moment. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:20:38 PM by animecyberrat »
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Music Suggestions (need help filling up my I-pod)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »
You listen to some god-awful music, rat.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »
That is why I need suggestions. I am expanding my options here, suggestions?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:20 AM »
I don't think you can expand too much when you have Ace of Base on you iPod. Basically just turn on any top 40 station, and add every crap song that you hear.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
What's wrong with Ace of Base? Besides I only have a few of their songs. I like dance music, they aren't my favorite but they have a lot of songs I know.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:34:07 AM by animecyberrat »

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:38:44 AM »
Actually I think I need to delete some stuff first.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:11:04 AM by animecyberrat »

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:46:41 AM »
Yeah never mind pretend you never say that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:11:28 AM by animecyberrat »

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »
I'll echo the opinion that you need taste, primarily, but hey, I'm not here to judge. I'll name off some of my favorite bands with small descriptions for each. If you think they'd be something you're interested in, I'd recommend that you check them out.

The Go! Team
The Go! Team is concentrated energy funneled through a six-piece band and limited vocals. You can't help but be in a good mood after listening to them. Check out Keys to the City off of Proof of Youth or Junior Kickstart off of Thunder, Lightning, Strike to figure out if they're your thing.

The Flaming Lips
There's a reason this band's been around for 20+ years. You've probably heard one of their songs, even if you don't realize it. I really liked their recent album, At War with the Mystics, so you should check out Vein of Stars from that.

Wilco
I absolutely adore Wilco. Their sheer musicianship is amazing. Check out their latest release, Sky Blue Sky, and listen to Impossible Germany. Then go back and get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and realize that, yes, it actually gets better.

Deltron 3030
They've only released one album, self-titled, but holy crap is it great. Even if you're not a hip hop person, this will get you into it. Be sure to check out the song Time Keeps on Slipping, as it actually inspired the conception of the next group...

Gorillaz
Basically the lead singer from Blur decided he wanted to pursue his eclectic taste in musical genres and threw a bunch of different stuff together, and it was great. They've released two albums, the first one self-titled (and containing a song you've probably heard before from some years back, Clint Eastwood), and Demon Days back in 2004. They've also got a bunch of EPs out and about. Be sure to check out the Soulchild Remix of 19-2000. It's great.

Muse
If you like Radiohead, but want a little more edge, then Muse is for you, because the lead singer sounds almost exactly the same as Tom Yorke. Pick up Black Holes nd Revelations. Knights of Cydonia is a standout track, but the truth is, every single song on that CD is great.

Anyway, that's a start.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Pandora.com is an absolutely fantastic site for people looking to expand their musical horizons. You basically type in a band or song you like, and it starts streaming a playlist of songs from other bands that sound similar. You can make a lot of great finds there. Also, if you know the name of a song that you want to hear, or a certain band that you just want to hear more from, check out Playlist.com. Both of these are completely free, so you've got nothing to lose.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:31:15 AM by KarlCastaneda »
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
Since I've heard you're a big System of a Down fan you should add all 5 of their albums, System of a Down, Toxicity, Steal This Album!, Mezmerize, Hypnotize, as well as Serj Tankian's solo album, Elect the Dead, plus the rest of the band's new single under Scars on Broadway, They Say.

So that should get you started, once you really get your groove on with those, you can check out their rare unreleased stuff for added enjoyment.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
I really don't know how Destiny's Child and TLC fit alongside the other set.

Should i say metallica or something as equally ear-ringing?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
Gyroscope

Get all three albums. Listen to them in reverse order if you want to pretend they get better over time.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »
Trivium.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
i'm going to suggest stuff you'll like based on the fact that you like dance music:

Chromeo:
Very dancy music here. They only have two albums and the second one seems to be the better one (will edit later with album titles) to dance to. Its a duo who create this funky music with some hip-hop elements thrown in as well as electronica. For instance the second singer only uses a synthesized voice and they have a bit of an 80s feel on some tracks.

Heres some of the better tracks of either album to preview:
-Woman Friend
-Needy Girl
-You're So Gangsta
-Fancy Footwork
-Bonafied Lovin'

More post to come

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »
thanks, I was just looking for names at the moment, stuff to check out.

I like a lot of rock also, but that stuff is so obvious I don't need help finding bands I like.

I already have

KISS
Metalica
AC-DC
Def Leppard
Motley Crue
Linkin Park
Collective Soul
The Scorpions
Dokken
NIN
The Offspring

either on my download list or already on the I-pod.

So I am looking for that type of music already. I like hard rock more than the soft stuff but I also like a variety of other crap. But not the "speed metal" or stuff like that.

Destiny's Child, TLC, Salt N Papa, Rihanna, Gwen Stefani, and Nelly Furtado round out the Hip-Hop R&B side of things.

I used to have nothing but pure hard core gangsta rap, thank god I got out of that cuz I can't stand it anymore.

And yes, I love dance music, techno, rave, house, disco (shut up), electric funk, boogaloo, etc. I usually don't have problems finding that stuff either.

Some of the oddballs I have come to like include Beck, B-52's, Remy Zero, Fiona Apple, Garbage (their my favorite but I haven't downloaded their stuff yet cuz i saved it all to a CD which I can't find so I might DL anyways)

My sister introduced me to some indian and hindu stuff, which I got a taste for after falling in love with Ghost World the movie. So I am open to that weirdo **** also.

Other than that I am lost, I know I will eventually run out of mainstream stuff that I know about so I am looking for something different than mainstream. Playlist.com is where I get most of my ideas already so yeah that's a good site. I used to have a Launch Radio Station and would go for whatever came up there, but it was set to mostly rap so I don't listen to much rap anymore and that doesn't help me much.

Ok so I will get started with Karl's suggestions first and then easycures stuff when I am done.

The thing that sucks is I had over 800 songs on the damn thing and I had them backed up to my computer too. Two weeks ago I somehow caught a virus that  screwed everything up and I had to restore my pc and that wiped out my backups. I hate starting over. I had 2 MP3 cd's full of music but those are always just the radio **** not the good stuff.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
Ace of Base is pretty much a 90's version of Abba so why not get into Abba?

Bryan Adams' album Waking Up the Neighbours is produced by Mutt Lange who also produced Def Leppard's albums Pyromania and Hysteria.  That big drum sound is really his trademark and it's all over this album.  It's pretty much a Def Leppard album with Bryan Adams singing.  Songs like "Can't Stop This Thing We Started" and "Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven" are right up a Def Leppard fan's alley.

The Offspring is sorta punk so you can expand from that and try out The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The Buzzcocks, The Damned.  No Doubt is sorta ska revival so check out The Specials, The English Beat, Madness.

And I know you like techno kind of music so I'm suggesting Kraftwerk.  Get the song "Radioactivity" and be blown away of how that sort of electronic music was made in the 70's.

Update: You updated your playlist.  Okay if you like stuff like Motely Crue then get Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.  Start with the 80's stuff since it's the best.  I recommend The Trooper as a good Maiden song.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »
Regardless of your musical tastes, I think you should put the version of Cantaloop by US3 on there. Love that song.

Dip-trip. Flip Fantasia.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
The thing that sucks is I had over 800 songs on the damn thing and I had them backed up to my computer too.

LOLOLOLOLOL

My ipod: 5816 songs currently, with more stuff downloading on my computer at home.

Ian has a good idea Rat. If you like the Offspring you might like a band like The Ramones or The Damned. Their [the offspring] guitarists has stated before that he pretty much learned every thing he knew about guitar from Captain Sensible (the Damned's guitarist). I'd recommend specifically looking for stuff off their earlier albums though because as they got older they got a darker in their sound and a little goth sounding.

Songs to check out:
Lookin' For Action
Love Song
Smash it Up pt 1 and 2 (you might of heard the offspring cover of this)
History Of The World pt 1
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
Damn EasyCure you got me by over 200 songs, 5582 here.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »

To be fair there is a Descendents compilation i've been meaning to take off because its a repeat, i just keep forgetting to. On top of that my video game soundtracks contain some sound effects/noises that i need to remove but am lazy to remove as well. The brawl sound track for instance has those 5 second victory songs for each character, thats sort of cheating i guess.

But then again i do have tons of songs i havent put on my ipod because i like to sort everything perfectly.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

To be fair there is a Descendents compilation i've been meaning to take off because its a repeat, i just keep forgetting to. On top of that my video game soundtracks contain some sound effects/noises that i need to remove but am lazy to remove as well. The brawl sound track for instance has those 5 second victory songs for each character, thats sort of cheating i guess.

But then again i do have tons of songs i havent put on my ipod because i like to sort everything perfectly.

Yeah I have a number of songs still not on mine for the same reason. I'll get to it ... eventually.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
does it irk you when browsing someones ipod and you see an artist you really like and they have only one or two songs too? cuz that kills me.

or when they have like 3 of the same artists? for instance:

ramones
The Ramones
Ramone

or something stupid like that?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
Here's my list of recommendations based on your listed bands.

1. Garbage - Yeah Yeah Yeahs  (I <3 Karen O.)
2. No DOubt - Less Than Jake (mainly Losing Streak and Hello Rockview)
3. The Offspring - the entire contents of No Thanks!:  The 70s Punk Rebellion
4. Crystal Method - The Chemical Brothers (mainly Dig Your Own Hole and Surrender)
6. Beastie Boys - 2 Skinnee Js
7. Collective Soul - Early Pearl Jam (first four albums)
8. Def Leppard - Faith No More (just a "best of", no need for anything more)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
does it irk you when browsing someones ipod and you see an artist you really like and they have only one or two songs too? cuz that kills me.

ramones
The Ramones
Ramone

Yes that is unacceptable. All of my music must be properly sorted, entirely labeled and have cover art. I HATE when stuff is unorganized, it drives me insane.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »
See that is what makes it so hard, as much as I like the offspring, I hate most other punk. Not all of it though, but most of it.

Yeah I already discovered Abba through my dad, he heard and Ace of Base song that reminded him of Abba, could have been a cover not sure. I also like Parliament, a lot.

Truth is I have a ton of songs to re download but every time I start downloading songs, I always feel like I am getting no where cuz I am downloading all the same songs I already used to have. So I usually give up in frustration.

Yeah I also try and keep mine organized but only by artists, I don't care about album art or **** like that. Plus I don't follow what cd a song came from so I don't even bother filling in the album info anyways.

As for Beastie Boys, I'm good for now, as of right now that's about all the rap I can handle anymore. It's complicated.

Still all good suggestions keep em coming cuz I got a long ways to go.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »

ramones
The Ramones
Ramone

Yes that is unacceptable. All of my music must be properly sorted, entirely labeled and have cover art. I HATE when stuff is unorganized, it drives me insane.

Ugh i know. High Five brotha!