Author Topic: GDC Europe survey puts Nintendo Consoles in the back half in developer interest  (Read 1439 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile

New Microsoft, Sony Consoles Receive Lukewarm Reception

Compared to mobile and PC, next-generation consoles don't figure nearly as highly into European developers' plans. 13% of survey respondents were working on PlayStation 4 games, compared to 9% working on Xbox One games and 5% on Wii U games; meanwhile, 23% of respondents were planning on working on a PS4 game next, compared to 14% for Xbox One and 7% for Wii U. (Survey results closed before Microsoft announced its DRM policy change.)

PlayStation Vita Slowly Gaining Momentum Among European Developers

Sony's PlayStation Vita is actually gaining ground among European developers; only 2% recently released a game for the Vita, but 6% are currently working on a Vita title and 9% anticipate releasing an upcoming Vita game. By comparison, only 1.5% of European developers recently released a 3DS game, 1.5% are currently working on one, and 2% anticipate releasing a 3DS game next.

So despite giving Unity for free and having self publishing interest in the WIi U was lower than the Xbox One's while the DRM was still in place. It says alot about developers (This survey is for AAA and indie devs to be clear). I'm guessing developers are looking at the Wii U's sales and the fact that Nintendo not only has a bad precpetion for their online system but doesn't do as much as Microsoft and Sony at promoting their online offerings.

The 3DS is the oddest one as its a successful platform so to speak. Despite that the only real indie support it has gotten has been from the usual suspects of teams who develop for near exclusively for Nintendo Platforms.(I'd agure that those developers would probably make more money going multiplatform as well) I mostly blame for Nintendo for not developing the WIi U and 3DS closely together and the 3DS eshop being a much bigger pain than the Wii U's.

So despite making a pretty heavy indie push with its current systems it looks like Nintendo's plans are falling on deaf ears.

So what can nintendo due to try and fix it. I'd say actually advertise the eshop and its content like Microsoft and Sony does. The way Nintendo tends to handle sales are that great either.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
But look at the Big Interest in tablets and smartphones.
 Good, let them keep their GodAwful shovelware where it belongs.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Remember that this is a European survey.  Handhelds are typically more popular with Japanese developers, who would not have been part of the survey.  Quick, name as many good non-Japanese games for a Nintendo handheld that you can.  I don't know if I could even think of five.  Nintendo handhelds seem to do fine with predominantly Japanese third party support so the 3DS will be fine.

The Wii U is the typical disinterest that I expect.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Remember that this is a European survey.  Handhelds are typically more popular with Japanese developers, who would not have been part of the survey.  Quick, name as many good non-Japanese games for a Nintendo handheld that you can.  I don't know if I could even think of five.  Nintendo handhelds seem to do fine with predominantly Japanese third party support so the 3DS will be fine.

The Wii U is the typical disinterest that I expect.

Mutant Mudds
Mighty Switch Force
Luigi's Mansion 2
Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars

er.......my head hurts.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Going by sales numbers, I'm sure if they surveyed the European Public, the Wii U would be in the back half of their interest too.

www.instantrimshot.com