Author Topic: Halo ODST  (Read 6205 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Halo ODST
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
Picked this up today from Toys R Us. Got a free figure and a $20 gift card. Anyone else picking it up so we can do some firefight?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Halo ODST
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »
What's the difference between this and Halo 3?

No, seriously?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
hell yeah bro

gonna get crunked and play it after some madden

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:22:07 PM »

No, seriously?

Nothing... Wait! Still the most overrated series ever!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
The Globe and Mail treat this game like it's the best thing ever.

I guess Halo has a stupidity aura that makes people stupid when they step ten feet within the game case.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »
Will you please stop trolling? I like console shooters, so shoot me. I spend 14 hours a day with a mouse and keyboard chained to my wrists and the last thing I want to do is play with the damn things.

The difference between this and Halo 3 is you play as a series of guys that fell from orbit. They don't have the same capabilities as a Spartan so you have to play a bit differently than than if you were playing Master Chief. Also there is a greater emphasis on the story, even though some will argue that its not difficult to add a story to the Halo series since its been minimal in the previous games.

The firefight mode is something I am looking forward to as the Horde mode in Gears of War 2 is my favorite multiplayer game. There is no matchmaking in firefight so I have to rely on having people in my friendlist to be playing. I'd also prefer to play with people I kinda know rather than random Halo idiots.

Ty, if you're serious about playing, send me a friend request as I don't think you're on my list.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
I like console shooters too! I didn't say that!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

No, seriously?

The campaign is shorter because ODST is an "expansion pack" (but still costs 45€).

There is no matchmaking in firefight so I have to rely on having people in my friendlist to be playing.

I can already imagine the outrage that would have caused had Nintendo done it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
For what is "ODST" an acronym?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »

There's no good reason I should know this as I can't stand Halo and haven't paid attention to this because there's no way I'm going to buy it, but it stands for "Orbital Drop Shock Trooper."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
I like console shooters, so shoot me. I spend 14 hours a day with a mouse and keyboard chained to my wrists and the last thing I want to do is play with the damn things.

I spend every day commuting back and forth to work in a car. When I go someplace on my day off, the last thing I want to do is drive a car around. I don't want to be reminded of the terrible places that car can take me. I want something inferior, like a unicycle. That way, I can have blissful ignorance.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
ONTO DAT SOUL TRAIN

get funky
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
Pro's comment makes sense for an alternate title.

Oh, FYI Bustin, I wasn't trolling, people treat Halo like it's a form of video game chocolate. Ignorance of the gaming industry at it's finest. Expect flawless scores folks!

*facepalm*

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
I spend every day commuting back and forth to work in a car. When I go someplace on my day off, the last thing I want to do is drive a car around. I don't want to be reminded of the terrible places that car can take me. I want something inferior, like a unicycle. That way, I can have blissful ignorance.

That doesn't quite work. If I was a trucker spending my sore ass on the road all week, I sure the hell wouldn't want to sit in a car for a few more hours afterward. I probably wouldn't mind going for a walk though.

And I haven't seen flawless scores for ODST, and it would probably tick me off if there were. But so far the game has been fun, and I think it would be fun in co-op.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:46:42 PM by bustin98 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »
Halo 3: Operation Deviant Sexual Transvestites.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »

The final tech upgrade for the regular pricks in Halo Wars that lets you drop pod them on any point on the map. If you let your enemy survive that long because just spamming the pricks with bazookas lets you wreck stuff fairly fast...

I like console shooters, so shoot me. I spend 14 hours a day with a mouse and keyboard chained to my wrists and the last thing I want to do is play with the damn things.

Grand Theft Unicycle? GOTY, man! GOTY!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
At least NeoThunder is playing the game. Whats up with the nagging chick in the background though?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »
Does neothunder even still post here? Last time I thought of that dude was when I played Mario Strikers Charged with him.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »
Better than all the other Halo games.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
I really didn't care for this at all.  I enjoy single player story modes in fps but halo's odst sp mode is very disappointing.  The story is very crappy and the even added a 'love' story--yuk.  The dialog between characters is also laughable--too stupid for such a grim looking environment.  The novels based on halo kick ass compared to odst.  As for the gameplay--nothing new and the Ai seemed to have more issues with objects than usually. 

Most people state that the firefight mode is the games saving grace.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
The story is very crappy

Ah yes, "crappy." Quite an in-depth descriptor you've chosen to use. Funny, because I thought the story was far better than any of the other Halo games, which were pretty much generic space opera.

and the even added a 'love' story--yuk.

Alright so you must be what? Twelve? It wasn't even a love story. Two of the characters had romantic interest in each other that emerged through dialog. It wasn't shoved down your throat or at the forefront of the action or anything.

The dialog between characters is also laughable--too stupid for such a grim looking environment.

Right, because soldiers don't joke around during times of war. I also seem to have forgotten that how an environment looks should have a massive impact on what the people in it are saying.

The novels based on halo kick ass compared to odst.

WHAT? Novels are a more effective medium for conveying a linear story? NO WAY!

As for the gameplay--nothing new

Except not being an invincible walking tank or drifting through the air with the greatest of ease, which is two more things than were new in Halo 2 or 3.

Sounds like you're just mad because it isn't Halo 4.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
A love interest is not a bad thing. Just don't do it a'la MGS4 Act 5 with the Johnny/Meryl scene.

And, haha, nice reply Dirk. ;)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
Sorry, I'd probably have it if we owned a 360. As I'm a big fan of Halo 3.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
"I thought the story was far better than any of the other Halo games,"
That's why I compared it to the novels (have you read any of them?) because besides the original Halo I found the story in 2 & 3 disappointing.

"Right, because soldiers don't joke around during times of war."
Sure they joke but at the wrong times--instead of asking questions to puzzles right in front of their eyes?  Also, a couple times it was the "tone" of the voice acting that was off.

The rookies solitude missions (if you call it that) missed key points as well.  There was a battle (the city's in ruins yet where's the bodies?  Or even Vids from loved ones?  Sure most people fled but what about the rest?  You do get Sadie's videos but they were a laughable to say the least.  Did you even bother to find them?  I did and yeah they're somewhat funny but I felt is they should have kept with a more somber tone than "guy selling meat at the end of the world". 

I guess you don't read novels but since you have a WII you should check out Dead Space Extraction for how a story should be told.  Though there's issues with voice acting in that as well (a few of the characters sound bored more than frightening) but the unlockable comic book story is top notch stuff.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
Right, obviously since I didn't read the Halo novels, it means I don't read novels at all.

I know how a story should be told, and what I'm telling you is that the story in ODST is more personal, more interesting, and better told than the previous entries in the series. The novels have NOTHING to do with it. This is a video game, a completely different medium with completely different storytelling requirements. I have no idea what you mean by "puzzles" because the only puzzles I saw in ODST were "how do I kill this guy the best?"

By night time, the Covenant had completely secured the entire city. Why would you think that they WOULDN'T remove bodies from the streets, when they're an extremely religious alliance (meaning they would have burial rites for their dead), and even the human bodies would do nothing but get in the way? The audio logs were alright, but honestly whoever voiced Sadie is just abysmal, and I couldn't stand listening to her rabble on about nonsense I had no reason to care about.

I get the feeling you wouldn't like Firefly either.
-Travis Touchdown