Author Topic: OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread  (Read 26421 times)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2004, 10:09:38 AM »
I was someone who was darn sure they would never play online, I really couldnt be bothered.
A while back my wife bought me an x-box live online kit and wireless broadband. It took me a month to finally set it up and nearly another month to get set up on live.
Now, I cant put the damn thing down. I play online nearly everyday and love it. It has put a spark back into my gaming like nothing has in years. Just my personal story.

I also believe that Nintendo needs to go online for the simple fact that both their competitors are. Profitable or not, I am sure it will affect sales of next gen consoles. To be the only console without a descent online following by next gen would be a huge mistake.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2004, 07:51:32 PM »
I hate Xbox live and yet it is the only reason I keep my Xbox. I do not even have the service turned on at the moment, but the thrill of playing both the Street Fighter Collection and Guilty Gear XX is enough to make me turn it back on (I bet super and bloodworth plan on getting these games as well judging by their avatars if they have an Xbox, if not for PS2).

also for people saying online is not profitable, many of the top companies today would not even be close to being as big as they are without online play. Ubi is a great example of that. Rainbow Six is still the top game on live 9 months down the road and if that does not lead to expanding sales than nothing will. I know the only reason I even buy certain games is the online portion(RS3, Battlefield, UT2K4 and a lot more)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2004, 05:39:34 PM »
alright...i'm totally out of it i guess, but who is the dude that everyone is using as their icon??? and also...i suppose i have to say this because i am posting here...xbox live kicks major nintendo butt!!!! (yes that is my argument)
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
You don't know? He's Reginald Fils-Aime, and he's going to kick your ass.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2004, 10:35:42 AM »

I know the only reason I even buy certain games is the online portion(RS3, Battlefield, UT2K4 and a lot more)
Well, what happens when, eventually, those services are dropped?  You have simply a shell of a game that, obviously, you won't enjoy much at all.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2004, 08:48:59 AM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27

I know the only reason I even buy certain games is the online portion(RS3, Battlefield, UT2K4 and a lot more)
Well, what happens when, eventually, those services are dropped?  You have simply a shell of a game that, obviously, you won't enjoy much at all.

Look online at how many are still playing these games. By the time you are finished playing there will still be a ton of people playing them. Never once in the 9 months I played Raven Shield did I ever have a problem, and I never had a problem with Battlefield or Ut2K4. Online games stick around long after people who use this argument would like to admit. The most popular online game is freakin 6 years old and it ain't going anywhere.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2004, 08:10:23 PM »
Casey, that argument came up a while ago and the example was Sega. If, for example, you had a large collection of Live-only itles for an XBox and a year after the release of XBox 2 MS decides to change Live so it won't work with XBox 1s anymore to force people to upgrade (realistic situation, MS is doing that with its OSes all the time). Now, what could you do with those XB1 Live titles? Sure, a community stays around like forever, but a service dies some time.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2004, 07:17:57 AM »
"Now, what could you do with those XB1 Live titles?"

Sell them to buy a PS3 or N5.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2004, 10:51:54 AM »
bah, my post got swallowed up by my annoying compute freezing.

Anyway, to sum it up.

Do online games matter to me: Yes
Will i buy a game purely for its online capabilities: Yes, have and will continue too.

I'm buying a roughly 1700$ dollar computer next week (finally getting everything figured out) and 95% of the reason im buying it involves playing games online.

I love online gaming, it is honestly why i'm thinking about buying an xbox, i'm angry the cube doesn't have online.  Sure, i'll still love it for the single player games, but 4 person gaming just isn't enough anymore, espicially when we have a group of 10 people who want to play.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2004, 12:17:26 AM »

The most popular online game is freakin 6 years old and it ain't going anywhere.

If you mean CounterStrike, that game is P2P requiring no "Service" to sign up and pay for (except of course, the ludicrous Live verion), and thus will not go anywhere.  AND that is a Half-Life mod to begin with.  And thus not what I meant by a game disappearing.

However, if you mean Everquest, that's in expansion hell.  I severely doubt people are still playing the original, unmodified in any way, and still paying the subscription.  If it's even supported.

(Opinion Time)  And besides, Everquest, like ALL Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, are horrible horrible games.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  They all involve running around killing rats and picking stuff up in the search for a rare weapon.  And then chatting with people.  And the best part is they charge you monthly for this wonderful experience.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2004, 12:59:29 PM »
Perhaps thats why they are so popular?  Because they are all horrible?  To each their own opinion, but I do enjoy a game of Diablo 2 every now and then.

Also, there are plenty of popular PC games that have been out for years, MOHAA, CS, UT, Q3, many more, people just enjoy different games.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2004, 01:06:51 AM »

Also, there are plenty of popular PC games that have been out for years, MOHAA, CS, UT, Q3, many more, people just enjoy different games.

I don't mean those.  Last Time I checked, Diablo 2 and those in the quote don't charge asinine monthly fees.  So they are exempt.  And since those games also have p2p modes and LAN and such in it, the "online mode" will quite possibly last forever.

About Everquest and Lineage and Asheron's Call and others of that ilk, they charge monthly for something that will disappear since they are reliant on core servers

One one hand you have something free that will, as long as there are some people around still interested, still be there 10 years from now.  And on ther other, you have something unpredictably finite that you pay for every second of.  I like that first one better.

I don't knock online features.  I knock paying for them, and I knock their forced integration into core game design at the expense of a good single player.  That said, Starcraft RAWKS.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2004, 08:43:04 AM »
The new MMORPG Guild Wars will not have any fees to play.  Also it will not involve running to goto new areas.  Look for this game as a true change in MMORPGS.  Also it rewards you for use of magic/combat techniques instead of leveling up like crazy.  The game is designed so that if you don't play it alot its still as much fun as those who play it everyday.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2004, 01:00:17 PM »
Guild Wars is apparently quite a bit like diablo.

which means im very interested in it.

But, the first online title i'll be buying with my new computer is going to be UT2004.  That game is just so damn awesome.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2004, 02:00:47 PM »

The new MMORPG Guild Wars will not have any fees to play.

You don't have to pay for Runescape either, pleh.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2004, 11:14:45 PM »
Runescape has some serious charm when it was first put online. I liked it. After about 18 months the userbase had gone completely downhill, the new areas were'nt that great and now the new graphics are even worse. Runescape is a strange sucess in the way it is quite playable by any gamer, and more accessable than most other games to non-gamers. This does, unfortuantly, bring it down to the bottom of the barrel as far as its userbase is concerned... The most interesting thing, however, is the huge number of people from non-gaming backgrounds who became 'achievers'. This ruined the game, but really kicked up the scociology surrounding it.

In short: Runescape's failure = other's sucess.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »
Runescape?  You mean legomen online?

Offline WallOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2004, 09:34:51 AM »
I'll be happy just so long as nintendo does SOMETHING with online play. Mario Kart Double Dash dosen't count, like I'm gonna drag an extra TV and gamecube to a friends house to play LAN.  
Auto-reply to anything Bill says: Don't get so tense over nothing.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2004, 02:09:05 PM »
I've brought my PC to a friend's to play LAN...
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2004, 06:48:41 PM »
not everyone would want to lug a 30-40 lb computer to their friend's place just to play LAN...

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2004, 07:50:59 PM »
MK: DD!! being LAN enable, seemed so half-baked to me.  Mario Kart has always been a popular party game, so Nintendo actually was trying to give people what they want- more people playing at a time, more choas, and more fun.  This would have actually worked well if Nintendo's online approach was different.
Most families own more than one TV and for these party situations, it isn't unusual to have a friend own a GameCube (esp. to fulfill the controller requirements, and Mario Kart being the 'must own' that it is, it isn't unusual to have another copy of the game either), so most of the requirements are met.  But to come up with multiple broadband adapters? When Nintendo itself refuses to support online gameplay?  Mario Kart is good but I'll be damned if I'll sink 40 (X N)  more bucks on top of the price of admission to play with 4 (X N) people MK: DD!! once in a blue moon.
I was playing Halo with some friends the other day and we decided to hook up another xbox to have more people playing.  The most difficult requirement to fulfill was having enough controllers.  That is the way it should be.  I shouldn't be immediately discouraged from LAN because I have to hunt down non-inclusive, expensive adapters to network Gamecubes.  Nintendo has failed even in their diversion from online gaming.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2004, 08:28:54 PM »
"I shouldn't be immediately discouraged from LAN because I have to hunt down non-inclusive, expensive adapters to network Gamecubes. Nintendo has failed even in their diversion from online gaming."

Good point.  If Nintendo wants online gaming or LAN to be successful next gen the broadband adapter should be part of the console.  There should be no reason not to at that point since there won't really be a need for a seperate dial-up modem.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2004, 06:35:02 PM »
I hosted a LAN on saturday, anyone who claims that they are no fun and that it's too hard to carry a pc into your car, then into a house/hotel, yet never done it, is just being a hypocrite.  Try it before you complain about it.

BTW, I have been to now 6 lans ranging in size from 4-200 people, just so I don't get some claims that I haven't been to enough.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2004, 07:48:17 PM »
LAN was also considerably viable back in the days before broadband -- even then there was a lot of "onrine" gaming to be had.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2004, 03:06:20 PM »
"I hosted a LAN on saturday, anyone who claims that they are no fun and that it's too hard to carry a pc into your car, then into a house/hotel, yet never done it, is just being a hypocrite. Try it before you complain about it."

Been there done it already more than 6 times.  Like i've said before, not everyone wants to lug their computer + 17"-21" CRT monitors around.  I dont see anywhere above where someone pointed out LANs weren't fun.  Lans are great every so often, but in no way can it be done a daily less a weekly thing (which is why I like the internet)