Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791024 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!
« Reply #2875 on: October 28, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Nintendo's price cuts in the past have generally come when they had the margin to cut it and still make money. I really doubt that's the case right now with the Wii U. Nintendo can't afford to go back to losing money per unit when they've been unprofitable for as long as they have unless they feel it would make a huge difference in sales, which I severely doubt.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: October 28, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
Wait, the $350 is for the Kinectless one?  So the complete console would be $450.

Do you own the Kinect 2.0?  Does it vastly improve how you interact with the console?   I know it isn't being utilized in games, so i'd need to justify paying the delta of those two prices if I ever consider dropping the cash on something like this.

Serious questions here.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
It depends the only really commercially viable on the game that would sway people is smash brothers. You have to wonder if that and the bundles are enough. Smash Brothers is awesome but for $50 more you can get a much more support system that comes with two or three games.

There's nothing on the Xbone that's anything like Smash Bros.  People buying the Wii U for Smash Bros this holiday are doing it because they love playing Smash Bros and want the newest installment.  Plus for many, Smash Bros will end up giving them way more hours of gameplay in the end anyway making just that one game a better value then 2-3 Xbone games anyway.
What both of these arguments are lacking is Nintendo Stubbornness. In general Nintendo doesn't really do Price drops and has a good amount of exclusives.  You can be pretty confident, 3DS as the exception, that if you buy Nintendo Console Hardware you won't be seeing a price drop are a real better iteration later.

MS not so much.  By now its a good chance you have on in the  PS360 combo and that will get you still the majority of new releases.  That will not be changing anytime soon.  There is still a very good arguments the smart move is to wait till it reaches a critical mass of games for you.

Since when? They aggressively dropped the price on SNES, N64, and Game Cube all to match their competition, Wii has blinded people into thinking that fluke is how it always was. Nintendo can not sell Wii U's at $300 when Xbox one, a new, more powerful next gen system with a rising library of games is fifty dollars more. You know they are having this discussion in board meetings right now, Smash Bros. is a big seller to Nintendo fans, but that game alone is not going to be the savior of the Wii U its going to be just like Game Cube, a big holiday sales rush and then sales falling off a cliff. By this point in Game Cubes life the price was already down to $99 and they were aggressive with their bundles, because MS was doing these types of aggressive bundles and price drops. Nintendo fans, or a certain segment of them, might not think Microsoft and Nintendo are competing for the same audience but their investors, and the game developers all know better.

Nintendo might hide a price drop in aggressive bundles, at first but there is no way an official one doesn't fallow suit right away.

I am willing to bet money on it, I will GIFT an eshop game of your choice if I am wrong, anyone takes me up on it does the same for me. They WILL drop the price before December first, most likely in a big bundle that is priced the same as the regular set but comes with enough crap to get the core unit down to the hidden new price, then right after the official price drop.

As much as I want Smash Bros. to be the system seller that turns Wii U into the viable machine everyone wants it to be, it won't it will be another Mario Kart, it will have big sales for a few weeks then no new major games for months and it drops off. The games that are coming have Nintendo fan appeal and those guys are all one the fence waiting for that one more game, most who held off this long its Smash, the rest its Zelda, everyone else needs more than five games to play to justify a $300 machine, and right now theres not that many that have mass appeal.

Hate them all you want, Madden, Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA Live, these games have mass appeal, and there are dozens of them out now or coming soon to the other two, there is nothing coming to Wii U outside of Smash and some really quirky Nintendo games that have limited appeal to mostly kids, and die hard Nintendo fans, and people with families. Xbox sucks at that last market Sony does not. Now what could  force Nintendo's hand is if Sony went for the kill and also dropped the price of the PS4, which lets be realistic is not past them doing if they want to get aggressive which they just might especially if they think they can take Japan away from Nintendo.

1) I don't think anyone expects Smash Brothers to do (much) better than MarioKart for Wii U. 

2)  I'd eat my hat if EA ever comes back to Wii U, even in gimped form.  They've already made the business decision that it's not profitable for them to bother sending-out their PS3/Xbox 360 ports to die on Wii U.  As they focus primarily on PS4/Xbox One, they're absolutely not going to spend time porting a game made specifically for more powerful hardware to a weaker console that shows little promise to get a ROI.

3)  I think it's even LESS likely to see a price drop by PS4 than Nintendo.  They have absolutely no reason to drop the price, when they're outselling Xbox by 40%.  People already see a value proposition for the PS4 at a $400 price point, but they clearly don't see the same value in Microsoft's console, even if the differences are marginal.

Truthfully, in the several years I've casually followed the video game market, a price drop alone has done little to bolster the sales of a system or handheld.  It would need to be on-top of a system that has a lot of compelling games & features, and put the price at a threshold where it could be considered a potential impulse buy.  I don't see $350 being that point for Microsoft, even with Master Chief Collection & Sunset Overdrive.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: October 28, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
Nintendo will drop the Wii U price, but I'd be very surprised if it happens before the end of the fiscal year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »
First thoughts on the Xbone: this thing is gigantic with a suitably enormous power brick, and it doesn't seem feasible that I could stand this thing on its side so it could actually fit on my desk. I despise the shoulder buttons and sticks on the controller. The UI is just...annoying, particularly the shop's. It took me the better part of an hour to find the "browse" option in the store (the "New Releases" section), which may or may not load depending on Xbox Live's mood. In fact, the store in general barely runs. I must have run into dozens of "we're sorry, but we can't find the page" errors. I'm still in the process of downloading stuff from the store (naturally, the copy of Sunset Overdrive that came with my Xbone was a 23 GB download), but I'm looking forward to finally playing something sometime tonight, given that nothing Sony-related is running right now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #2880 on: October 28, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »
It depends the only really commercially viable on the game that would sway people is smash brothers. You have to wonder if that and the bundles are enough. Smash Brothers is awesome but for $50 more you can get a much more support system that comes with two or three games.

There's nothing on the Xbone that's anything like Smash Bros.  People buying the Wii U for Smash Bros this holiday are doing it because they love playing Smash Bros and want the newest installment.  Plus for many, Smash Bros will end up giving them way more hours of gameplay in the end anyway making just that one game a better value then 2-3 Xbone games anyway.
What both of these arguments are lacking is Nintendo Stubbornness. In general Nintendo doesn't really do Price drops and has a good amount of exclusives.  You can be pretty confident, 3DS as the exception, that if you buy Nintendo Console Hardware you won't be seeing a price drop are a real better iteration later.

MS not so much.  By now its a good chance you have on in the  PS360 combo and that will get you still the majority of new releases.  That will not be changing anytime soon.  There is still a very good arguments the smart move is to wait till it reaches a critical mass of games for you.

Since when? They aggressively dropped the price on SNES, N64, and Game Cube all to match their competition, Wii has blinded people into thinking that fluke is how it always was. Nintendo can not sell Wii U's at $300 when Xbox one, a new, more powerful next gen system with a rising library of games is fifty dollars more. You know they are having this discussion in board meetings right now, Smash Bros. is a big seller to Nintendo fans, but that game alone is not going to be the savior of the Wii U its going to be just like Game Cube, a big holiday sales rush and then sales falling off a cliff. By this point in Game Cubes life the price was already down to $99 and they were aggressive with their bundles, because MS was doing these types of aggressive bundles and price drops. Nintendo fans, or a certain segment of them, might not think Microsoft and Nintendo are competing for the same audience but their investors, and the game developers all know better.

Nintendo might hide a price drop in aggressive bundles, at first but there is no way an official one doesn't fallow suit right away.

I am willing to bet money on it, I will GIFT an eshop game of your choice if I am wrong, anyone takes me up on it does the same for me. They WILL drop the price before December first, most likely in a big bundle that is priced the same as the regular set but comes with enough crap to get the core unit down to the hidden new price, then right after the official price drop.

As much as I want Smash Bros. to be the system seller that turns Wii U into the viable machine everyone wants it to be, it won't it will be another Mario Kart, it will have big sales for a few weeks then no new major games for months and it drops off. The games that are coming have Nintendo fan appeal and those guys are all one the fence waiting for that one more game, most who held off this long its Smash, the rest its Zelda, everyone else needs more than five games to play to justify a $300 machine, and right now theres not that many that have mass appeal.

Hate them all you want, Madden, Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA Live, these games have mass appeal, and there are dozens of them out now or coming soon to the other two, there is nothing coming to Wii U outside of Smash and some really quirky Nintendo games that have limited appeal to mostly kids, and die hard Nintendo fans, and people with families. Xbox sucks at that last market Sony does not. Now what could  force Nintendo's hand is if Sony went for the kill and also dropped the price of the PS4, which lets be realistic is not past them doing if they want to get aggressive which they just might especially if they think they can take Japan away from Nintendo.

1) I don't think anyone expects Smash Brothers to do (much) better than MarioKart for Wii U. 

2)  I'd eat my hat if EA ever comes back to Wii U, even in gimped form.  They've already made the business decision that it's not profitable for them to bother sending-out their PS3/Xbox 360 ports to die on Wii U.  As they focus primarily on PS4/Xbox One, they're absolutely not going to spend time porting a game made specifically for more powerful hardware to a weaker console that shows little promise to get a ROI.

I never said anything about EA coming back so where is that coming from? I was using those games as examples there are dozens of NON-EA games you could point to so thats a weak reply to my point, the point was those machines have games with mass appeal, Wii U does not,

3)  I think it's even LESS likely to see a price drop by PS4 than Nintendo.  They have absolutely no reason to drop the price, when they're outselling Xbox by 40%.  People already see a value proposition for the PS4 at a $400 price point, but they clearly don't see the same value in Microsoft's console, even if the differences are marginal.

Truthfully, in the several years I've casually followed the video game market, a price drop alone has done little to bolster the sales of a system or handheld.  It would need to be on-top of a system that has a lot of compelling games & features, and put the price at a threshold where it could be considered a potential impulse buy.  I don't see $350 being that point for Microsoft, even with Master Chief Collection & Sunset Overdrive.

Price drops have also come when console makers get desperate, you do realize that also? No they don't always have the affect of massive increased sales but that isn't the goal the goal is market perception. If the market sees the newer machine is only $50 more than the older machine then the market, the retailers and the industry executives and the potential consumers, are going to get it in their heads that the Wii U is not as valuable and therefore they will have to drop the price, not to increase sales but to stop Xbox from taking market share and mind share away from their potential customers. Video games are just like any other business so just studying a few examples from the past 35 years of major gaming industry is not enough to get a full picture, unless you remove everyone but the few major players, then you might maybe have a picture. BUT economics and business as a whole are the same no matter what industry and its not just can Nintendo afford to take a loss on the machine, nobody said that we don't know what that thing costs to make, plus its been over a year since they discontinued the other Wii which no doubt has had some impact on the production costs because their plants only have so many resources to go around, the final cost of the machine is NOT just related to the costs of materials and labor there are R&D factors and the cost of starting up a new assembly line, those costs have no doubt been recouped by now, or damn near close otherwise they wouldn't have dropped the price last time they did nor would they be ramping up production for a NEW console, the New 3DS.

What I do know is that from a business perspective Nintendo cannot afford to lose ground to Xbox One right now in retailers or mindshare, so they will need to do something to match Microsoft, Wii U is barely selling better than Game Cube who had already had aggressive price drops and bundles at this point in life.

They will most likely hide the price drop in bundles, then officially drop the price right after. They aren't sitting on brisk sales right now either. Smash Bros. has the potential to out sell Mario Kart but not by much, if it even does that, the handheld version could cannibalize sales we don't know yet how that will play out. There is a real chance Smash Bros. U will bomb up front as the larger userbase is content with the handheld and can wait for a price drop on the game, which people here have indicated they will do and I hear it at games tores too, so there is a chance that Nintendo could be preparing for a performance similar to Super Mario 3D World, something that would not reinviggerate their investors or their customers. Nintendo has been able to sell on good will for as long as they could, that good will is spent they need to start delivering now and yes they have a few games, three at my count, that people would be tempted to play but that does not change the fact the other two have dozens more games to play and in economics value added will affect customers minds more than total cost, people will see Xbox as a value because its only fifty dollars more but you get greater potential which undermines what Nintendo is able to do.

Still its not like anyone can prove what will happen so lets just leave it there. Sony is the one who really needs to keep an eye on this, because Sony might not want to give MS a fighting chance they could decide its better to keep MS from getting a footing to mount a solid comeback, Sony is betting their entire future on PS4 so I put money on them being aggressive in their response. Which will force Nintendo's hand like it or not, and they won't want to but they cannot afford to have retailers remove their product entirely to make room for more Xboxes, that did happen with Game Cube which is why the aggressive price drops happened in the first place, retailers will not stock Wii u if it stops selling or if Xbox picks up and Wii U stays the same or slows down. Smash will be abundant but what about Captain Toad, or NES Remix, those games might be limited releases retailers might not see much incentive to stock them if the system isn't selling and MS is desperate because this will hurt them too if they can't start moving machines and unlike Nintendo MS could buy out K-Mart if they had to and then give them a major retailer whereas Nintendo loses good will with retailers then they have a harder time, especially when they are increasingly dependent on digital sales.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

« Reply #2881 on: October 28, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »
to be honest, I am only interested in PS4 so I really don't care what MS does.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: October 29, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
Actually the wii u is selling alot worse then the GC, according to nintendos own numbers roughly 7.25 million units sold vs 10.5 million gc's sold for the first 21 months of each console.

MS needed to reduce price and i'm glad they finalliy realized it but I don't think they were agressive enough but maybe with retailers push the xbox might be able to push 2 million sales in the last quarter. 

« Reply #2883 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:57 AM »
Actually the wii u is selling alot worse then the GC, according to nintendos own numbers roughly 7.25 million units sold vs 10.5 million gc's sold for the first 21 months of each console.

MS needed to reduce price and i'm glad they finalliy realized it but I don't think they were agressive enough but maybe with retailers push the xbox might be able to push 2 million sales in the last quarter.

and facing much stiffer competition and a far more divided market, all the more reason to be as aggressive as they can.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
Don't buy the Bone, seriously.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:47 AM »

Eh, I can recommend a 'Bone for the $300 I paid, but with its pitiful software lineup right now I wouldn't recommend it for anything above that. I've put some time into Sunset Overdrive, and that game's the real deal. It's the only truly fun open world game I've played this year, and this year has had a lot of open world games. It deserves to be a system seller...but, sadly, it won't be one to many people.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:32 AM »
I don't think an open world game could ever be a system seller for me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:19 AM »
I don't think an open world game could ever be a system seller for me.

Sunset Overdrive is essentially an Open World Ratchet & Clank game mixed with Jet Grind Radio, with the wacky weapons; weapon leveling; rail-grinding; and ****ing COLOR we've come to expect from those series. Hell, it's an open world game where you can bounce on cars, infinitely wall-run, and wall-jump between buildings. It's not your typical open world game.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »
Saw the Call of Duty XBone.  That kit looks cool.  Sunset Overdrive XBone got the shaft.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: October 31, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »

Eh, I can recommend a 'Bone for the $300 I paid, but with its pitiful software lineup right now I wouldn't recommend it for anything above that. I've put some time into Sunset Overdrive, and that game's the real deal. It's the only truly fun open world game I've played this year, and this year has had a lot of open world games. It deserves to be a system seller...but, sadly, it won't be one to many people.

You didn't like Watch_Dogs?
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: October 31, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »

"Meh", which seems to be the general impression towards Watch Dogs.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: October 31, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »

but it sold 9 million copies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: October 31, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »

Mostly on pre-orders. On hype. Try to find someone who loves that game now. If Destiny hadn't come out and been the spectacular critical dud that it was, Watch Dogs probably would've been a shoe-in for most disappointing game of the year.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »

Mostly on pre-orders. On hype. Try to find someone who loves that game now. If Destiny hadn't come out and been the spectacular critical dud that it was, Watch Dogs probably would've been a shoe-in for most disappointing game of the year.

Now yout just being a Hater. I loved Watch_dogs, Destiny, and Titanfall, the commercials at gamestop told me too.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »
Christ, this hasn't been updated in forever either. Amazing deal if you like Assassin's Creed games. Get Black Flag AND Unity for $32.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCW6TZG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00PCW6TZG&linkCode=as2&tag=igndeals14-20&linkId=IAPLZHC2EAATK3TU
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #2895 on: December 16, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
Been playing Watch Dogs, I don't get the hate its a pretty solid game.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 16, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Been playing Watch Dogs, I don't get the hate its a pretty solid game.
It was not what was advertised, shallow as a puddle and buggy. So a Ubisoft game.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

« Reply #2897 on: January 09, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »
Alright I have Wii U, mostly happy with it for what it is so far.
I have a PS4, loving it so far it has filled the gap Wii U was lacking.
I have a PS3 and have no complaints there
and I can get a good few games on Steam on my laptop if I choose to, which I rarely do.

Xbox One owners, is there still a reason for me to get one or looking at what I have would that be overkill? I do not have a 360, I have considered picking up on used now that they are cheap enough but I am still on the fence because I have a PS3 anyways.

What games, experiences, features does the console offer the PS4 doesn't? Or would I be best to save my money on a new console and spend it on more games for the one I have.?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 09, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
TV features, NFL Now, and more voice commands, and of course any dancing games like Dance Central (shut up, they're fun) are way better with Kinect than they are with the PS Camera. Other than that it's basically do you want Halo games or not.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: January 09, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
Sunset Overdrive is suppose to be really good.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.