Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791000 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!
« Reply #2725 on: May 14, 2014, 08:05:01 AM »
Who it's the likely front runner in buying the Xbox division though? MS had made Xbox the brand of their gaming on PC too.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2726 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »
Amazon.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »
Have you seen what Amazon has done to the other stuff they buy? I wouldn't trust them to do the Xbox justice.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
The question wasn't whether Amazon would do Xbox justice; it was who would be the frontrunner to buy Xbox from Microsoft, and yeah, Amazon is a pretty good suggestion.

To address that, I'm not sure there is a company that can do that division justice and run Xbox the way Microsoft did. To get where they are, Microsoft was extremely bullish and driven. Who else is willing to have that same at-all-costs mentality? Part of the reason we're even still entertaining this rumor of Microsoft selling the Xbox division is because it doesn't seem like Microsoft even has that mentality any more either. Sure, Titanfall was a major investment, but there haven't been any other major splashes like that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:33:48 AM by Adrock »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
I know that's what the question was. I was saying that it would be awful if they did.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: May 14, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Gold included with your Prime subscription... built in streaming service. Built in store, with free 2-day shipping, everything from A-->Z, play now with download while you wait for physical copy. Video User reviews for games and all products using Kinect.

I could see Amazon making this work out quite well. It could at least be different enough in it's extras that it would be interesting to see how that would play out.

« Reply #2731 on: May 14, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
If they had the motivation Sega could pull it off but they lack the funds more than anything. Sega fans have been begging for them to make a new console, they keep releasing those retro consoles to stay sort of in the hardware business, and they have a software library that if given a dedicated console to get behind could make a major splash while taking away something big from Nintendo at the same time. NOT saying that it will happen but if anyone could pull it off it would be Sega but chances are they would just end up going under anyways.

Amazon can't pull it off because they already are trying to get into gaming and it would be suicide to kill off one major product to take on another.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2732 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »
What major product does Amazon really have?  That box that they call a streaming game player is kinda going to go no where.

But BlackandMild is correct.  Amazon actually can push the Xbox harder than Microsoft could if they wanted.  They can afford to invest so alot of money in the project because they know their profits come from other places too.  I think of all the companies that could do it Amazon is probably the only one that could achieve any level of success with it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 14, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
Have you ever heard of this mildly popular device called the "Kindle" or "Kindle Fire?"
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #2734 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
I disagree because Amazon can't seem to compete with Netflix on the video front, Android or iPad on the tablet front, and their streaming media box looks to be another Roku clone. I think hardware wise Amazon is a total ditz, Sega has the software Amazon doesn't know much about software either. I think Amazon has the money to run it the way MS does but that isn't going to work anymore.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »
Amazon has the resources to make themselves a viable 3rd and unique option.
If they run the console the way they run their business, then all they do is reinvest. And depending on what their ultimate goal is, (which I believe is not to generate a huge war chest since I don't believe Amazon reports in profits they sit on, but profits they throw right back into the business.) I'm sure they will eventually build an ecosystem of service & product for exchange that will shame even Apple and iTunes.

What other products does Amazon currently invest in that would merge with their Console/Tablet/TV connected take over? They never want you to leave your couch/house again. They will literally bring you everything you need through the use of a few devices. Console connected to the TV, Tablet in your hands, phone in your pocket. Games, food, toilet paper, clothes, more games, TV, Movies, more toilet paper...

Amazon is a major distributor of physical goods, and give incentive to 3rd parties through sales and promotion on Amazon.com in exchange for timed/exclusives and extra goodies/exclusive DLC. They could pull lots of leverage with 3rd parties WW as Amazon is pretty popular everywhere (except Japan, and that's only because of their strict nationalisms, but even there they still do alright.) and if they can double down on distribution through digital efforts... oh man. They already have all the infrastructure in place.

Amazon would be a very interesting choice for a major 3rd competitor in place of MS.

Sega would never be in such a position of opportunity again in such a short time. Their 3rd party output isn't even good enough to sell other peoples hardware, so I doubt they would be able to sell their own. Their best bet is to sell themselves to Nintendo and ride that wave till it crashes into the rocks, because that will be as close to the glory days as they get in a long long time.
No offense to Sega, but they just don't have it anymore... but together with Nintendo they could both become something more. something better.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 16, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »

Welp I just bought an Xbox One sometime after the price drop.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 16, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »
Is that suppose to be Manmus and Dark Manmus?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Is that suppose to be Manmus and Dark Manmus?

heh took a minute to get that one.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
COLLABO!!?

MS studios going Retro?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
The last one looked like Prime from what I saw, I don't have a system to play it, and I just find it funny if it took the same next step as Prime.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
The guys who made 4, and I'm assuming 5, include a lot of former Retro employees. The games resemble Metroid Prime because they're made by a lot of the same people.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 16, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Well if Nintendo can't win me over with the same tired bullshit, MS certainly ain't going to.  Not that I expect the rest of the world to share my opinion though.  Halo is less old than almost all of Nintendo's franchises and that probably gives it a bit more legs for now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2743 on: May 16, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
So since Halo 5 is 2015... how about 4 Halo games in 2014?

I for one welcome our Halo All-Stars overlords.

(pause)

Not.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: May 17, 2014, 02:53:09 AM »
Microsoft's now claiming they never forced Rare to make Kinect games. They were perfectly free to work on other kinds of things if they didn't really care about seeing their families again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: May 17, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
You're killing me here.

I have no idea why anybody would want to buy or save Xbox in any form and don't tell me because we "need" the competition.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: May 17, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Microsoft is going to refund (pro-rated) Xbox Live gold to people who bought it for streaming, etc., as well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
You're killing me here.

I have no idea why anybody would want to buy or save Xbox in any form and don't tell me because we "need" the competition.

But we need the comp.... uh. nevermind.

Microsoft's now claiming they never forced Rare to make Kinect games. They were perfectly free to work on other kinds of things if they didn't really care about seeing their families again.

It's our families they should have been concerned about. It's a sacrifice they should have been willing to make.

Microsoft is going to refund (pro-rated) Xbox Live gold to people who bought it for streaming, etc., as well.

For realz? better late than never.
Do they go all the way back to Xbox/360 for that refund?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
No, just for Xbone.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 17, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
No, just for Xbone.

That's kinda bizarre. How can you prove you bought Gold primarily for the app access? If you spent less than 30% of your online time watching movies instead of playing multiplayer?