Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791020 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!
« Reply #2700 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
Does anyone think that Microsoft will eventually get into a streaming service for Xbox similar to what Sony is doing with Playstation Now? Sort of like their version of the Ps Vita TV with a tiny streaming box to play Xbox Live and 360 games.

If it becomes a feature-parity issue they'll probably get on it, but then again Microsoft seems more interested in building a general media ecosytem than catering to the core enthusiast crowd. I'm also not sure there's going to be huge demand for streaming stale Xbox IPs when there will be plenty of stuff to take their place in various categories, including straight remakes of Halo and whatnot. Also the dangling question of whether or not they'll even stay in the video game sector long term.

I also recall reading something about Microsoft testing a streaming system and saying they couldn't get it up to consumer-grade marketability, and that they thought Sony was bluffing.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
Does anyone think that Microsoft will eventually get into a streaming service for Xbox similar to what Sony is doing with Playstation Now? Sort of like their version of the Ps Vita TV with a tiny streaming box to play Xbox Live and 360 games.

If it becomes a feature-parity issue they'll probably get on it, but then again Microsoft seems more interested in building a general media ecosytem than catering to the core enthusiast crowd. I'm also not sure there's going to be huge demand for streaming stale Xbox IPs when there will be plenty of stuff to take their place in various categories, including straight remakes of Halo and whatnot. Also the dangling question of whether or not they'll even stay in the video game sector long term.

I also recall reading something about Microsoft testing a streaming system and saying they couldn't get it up to consumer-grade marketability, and that they thought Sony was bluffing.

Supposedly Microsoft is working on cloud streaming for their other devices. It could be cheaper for them to offer a PS Vita TV style streaming box to compete with Sony. It could another selling point to the X1 as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »
I don't think Microsoft's worried about competing with the Vita TV. Sony's shown no interest in releasing it outside of Japan, and Xbox One has no chance of gaining any kind of foothold there even if it were made out of solid gold and given away for free.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
If Vita TV was the Media Box the PS3 is without Blu-Ray.  It could be an interesting fit here in the States but first they need to get the PS4 out of its terrible state when compared to the PS3 as a media device.  It literally does nothing better as a Media Device.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #2704 on: April 02, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Sony can launch a streaming games service because Sony has games, not just their own but classic 3rd party games people will pay for. Xbox doesn't have that most of their games that people are interested in are already on PC or were also on Playstation anyways so most of the games they would or could have are a up for grabs on competing services. Xbox works as a brand because the hardware is appealing, the software is not so much. They have their own exclusives but really only since 360 took off Xbox didn't have many exclusives people would call classic. Nintendo, Sony, and maybe Sega if they got off their ass, could launch a virtual service where they can rely on their past software to keep people interested, Microsoft does not have the games those other three do. I would almost say Atari could have a better streaming service than Microsoft but that is stretching it. As for media stuff, I think that market is so crowded it's almost like nobody even buys media players anymore they just buy whatever device and it just plays their media. I think the only ones who are bitching about the PS4 supposed lack of features are pirates that Sony would be good to just ignore anyways. If your video isn't a standard file then it's probably not from a legit source anyways.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 13, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Microsoft announces Kinect-free Xbox One SKU for $399. Still less powerful and likely a weaker library of exclusives than PS4.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
I don't know if Microsoft should have gone for price and feature parity. I feel like they should have either kept Kinect and eaten the $100 price cut or if they insisted on a Kinect-free SKU, they should have undercut PS4. Come June 9, PS4 is still a better deal.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 13, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
Huh, I figured it would take at least a year for this. It's hard to argue that it won't help sales, but at the same time I'd be pretty unnerved as an Xbone owner that the system could radically change at any time given the whims of Microsoft's corporate priorities. Also, aren't people selling Kinect's off for like $150? Seems like that Kinect-less price should be lower, unless they're just trying to recoup essentially burned R&D costs.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 13, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
Stupid idea. Way too early for that, now they will only hurt Kinect development.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
Was Kinect being utilized for anything functional/useful/fun other than menu's and voice commands anyway?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 13, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
Smart move by MS.  Kinect is a dumb gimmick that rode the motion control fad and the Xbox target audience does not give a **** about it.  The PS4 might still be a better deal in terms of specs but I don't know how much of an issue that is.  It isn't like the XB1 is a gen behind like the Wii U.  The real problem was that the XB1 came with a mandatory $100 Kinect purchase which is now gone.

This puts Nintendo in an interesting position.  Pressure to ditch the Gamepad will now only increase.  Though it would be much harder to remove the Gamepad from the Wii U than it is to remove Kinect and without it the Wii U is just some outdated PS3 clone.  I think MS made the right move but I don't think the same strategy makes sense for Nintendo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 13, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
This puts absolutely no pressure on Nintendo to ditch the GamePad.

I think it'd be pretty funny if Sony dropped the price of PS4 on June 9, even if it was just $20.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
This puts Nintendo in an interesting position.  Pressure to ditch the Gamepad will now only increase.  Though it would be much harder to remove the Gamepad from the Wii U than it is to remove Kinect and without it the Wii U is just some outdated PS3 clone.  I think MS made the right move but I don't think the same strategy makes sense for Nintendo.

Microsofts problem was Kinect made the system $100 more expensive, despite the fact it was less powerful.  The Wii U is less powerful but still $100 cheaper then the PS4 and comes with a game as well.  Yeah, dropping the Gamepad would make the system cheaper, but being cheaper then the PS4 isn't exactly what's causing the Wii U's problems when it's already cheaper.

Plus Iwata has already said they'll be showing off several games that make important use of the Gamepad at E3 so Nintendo is actually hoping to make the Gamepad a big deal in the future.  So unlike Microsoft, Nintendo still feels the Gamepad could be a benefit for the system in the future.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
Still less powerful and likely a weaker library of exclusives than PS4.
I look at the list of exclusives (both released and upcoming) for both systems and can barely find maybe one and a half of games that gets me interested.

Both games are XBone exclusives: Dead Rising and Sunset Overdrive.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Your mileage may vary on that one, but I was going more off what we saw on PS3 and 360 than anything released or announced. Sony's studios beat the hell out of Microsoft's as far as I'm concerned.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
In terms of first party games like what Nintendo does, Sony has MS beat and then some. Nintendo exclusives pulp MS by the same measure.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 13, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
I'm not gonna complain though, I paid $300 for mine brand new. Didn't complain about the 3DS price drop either...launch for $125 brand new.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 13, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
Doubt this pressures Nintendo to drop the Gamepad, as it is actually more integrated into the basic platform in a way that Kinect isn't, despite all the Microsoft PR prior to today. I do think it makes the price stand out a bit more. The $300-$400-$500 spread helped make the WiiU look like a reasonable price/feature trade-off, but methinks $250 would be a bit shinier going forward. Won't happen this year, though.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 14, 2014, 12:04:54 AM »
Didn't see this mentioned, but now starting in June you don't need XBox Live Gold to use apps like Netflix, HBO Go, Internet Explorer, etc, so that's actually pretty great, though well overdue.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
Long overdue.

Hiding independent apps behind a pay wall like that was criminal.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2720 on: May 14, 2014, 02:06:48 AM »
If Microsoft can launch this package with a great exclusive game then I think the Xbox One can make a comeback and sell well. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:43 AM »
MS doesn't have a great exclusive game to bundle with it nor does it have one in the future that will be ready in time. MS has been giving away Forza and Titianfall with unofficial price drops to absolutely no effect. It's really embrassing when 6 Months down the line after the marketing equvalent of the second coming of gaming, you still have Day one editions and you have resorted to "Shipped" numbers to hide behind, while "Combining" Software sale over PC, 360 and the Xbone to inflate them.

There is no good reason for MS to make a comeback. Sony is Faster, Cheaper, Higher Qualitity console on the fundamental level and nothing will change this short of MS launching new hardware. That is assuming MS can magic up a truckload of games people actually want.

This fight was over last E3 before it started. Xbone is the Saturn, but unlike the Saturn, it will not be mourned.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:29 AM »
With the degree to which they moneyhatted the **** out of the 360, it's way too early to count Microsoft out.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: May 14, 2014, 04:21:18 AM »
From what I hear the money hose has been turned off and after Titianfall, I don't think there is a moneyhat big enough that won't just result in the developer/publisher scamming MS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: May 14, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »
I suppose with the talk lately that Microsoft is considering selling off the Xbox division altogether they might not be that interested in pouring a ton of money into it beforehand.

J.P. Corbran